Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
hopefully they give some adapters away. remember the days when an ipod came with dock adapters, a dock, usb, and fire wire cables. regardless of what they say, apple has changed. not that i have a problem with it but they have.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I'm happy to see this dock connector change. I have had enough frustration with the old connector, particularly having to look at the connector to ensure it is facing the proper direction.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I guess I just miss the good old days when Apple included "unnecessary" things like s-video and dvi-vga adapters.

They weren't innately 'unnecessary'. Back then, many (most?) displays used VGA connectors, rather than the newer DVI connector. (Hell, even now it's possible to find low-end LCDs monitors with *just* a VGA connector. Thankfully, it's *much* less common than it used to be.)

With the MagSafe adapter, if you buy a retina MBP, you're already *getting* the correct power connection, so there's no need to include an adapter. If you have old MagSafe bricks, then you can buy the adapter so you can continue using them if you'd like to. Most people, however, don't actually have multiple power bricks for their laptops.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
People were raging about the rumored $10 price for each adapter. I wonder how they feel now the actual price is revealed to be $29 each on the Apple store. :D

This... Just pre-ordered my iPhone 5 and saw that the price was $29 PER adapter. That's bullsh:apple:t! I was going to get two adapters, one for my iHome and one for my Mercedes to dock the phone. Now I think I'll just stick to bluetooth streaming audio on my iPhone 5 in the car, and just buy a new iHome model when it comes out.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
People were raging about the rumored $10 price for each adapter. I wonder how they feel now the actual price is revealed to be $29 each on the Apple store. :D

Truly annoyed. I was actually ok with $10 because it was cheaper than I expected. Should've known....

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
I'm sure that won't stop people from making an adapter and flooding eBay.

or you could go on ebay after couple of weeks and get 3 for dollar from china.

available on ebay from hong kong for 89cents at day 2.

apple price on these accessories is absurd

Eh? There will be plenty of Chinese versions within a week :D

Funny how things change around so quickly. People on this thread seem to want a cheap Asian knock-off version of this adaptor to hit the market.

Slightly hypocritical in light of the stance most here take in regards to the perceived copying of phones in the Asian market. Surely if a copy of the adapter is made everyone should be up in arms and screaming for Apple to litigate.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Definitely disappointed with this.

Guess the one that comes with it goes in the car and will wifi sync in house...

Not spending $30.00 for one, but would have went with the 3 pack for $30.00 for sure.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
This... Just pre-ordered my iPhone 5 and saw that the price was $29 PER adapter. That's bullsh:apple:t! I was going to get two adapters, one for my iHome and one for my Mercedes to dock the phone. Now I think I'll just stick to bluetooth streaming audio on my iPhone 5 in the car, and just buy a new iHome model when it comes out.

First world problem.

:p

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
According to my calculations if I buy 156 packs of 3, I'll save around $156 (rounded up). I'm in.

homsar

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
My "generic" cables have outlasted both of my iPod touches. If you believe for one minute that there is any difference between a branded and generic cable, other than about $18.95 and a nice celophane wrapper, then continue giving you hard-earned cash to Apple for their batch of cables from the same Chinese sweatshop.

Some of the generics are the same batches. Some are from other factories with lower standards. And some are from some enterprising employee emptying the quality control rejects bin at the end of the day to make a few extra yuan. Problem is you have zero way of working out which is which until you have it in your hands. I can't afford to go pouring my money at Apple for overpriced cables, so I'm currently suffering with half-broken ones instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.