Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
With more than one court ruling in Apple's favor I think the jury is really starting to come in and clearly say, Apple had a clear right to defend their IP.

If you don't like Patent Law, go argue against that. But saying Apple is a bully is shear nonsense.

Samsung is getting owned by the court system... and I say, congrats Apple!

And if Apple had a lost these court rulings I would have been saying...Bad deal Apple...

I don't think it's went before a jury, but even if it had we all know how reliable they are. Ask Casey Anthony.

----------

Yes and all the 5 nerds already have tabs.

Have you ever used one? They're actually not bad.

And because someone chooses one product over another, that makes them a nerd? Wow, times are changing.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I don't think it's went before a jury, but even if it had we all know how reliable they are. Ask Casey Anthony.

Exactly. Had it been Samsung who won, half the people in this thread would be out looking for the judge with a rifle.

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA

These are not jury trials, I was just using a metaphor.

Also, if this was just one court ruling I would say you have some validity to your point. But we have had three court rulings now, from three different countries. Your point is quite watered down.

----------

Exactly. Had it been Samsung who won, half the people in this thread would be out looking for the judge with a rifle.

Like the other half that are saying the court system is invalid? I'm not one to say that debate in here is always above par...frankly most of it comes from the ignorant and juvenile.

But there are also a lot of people in this thread who are quite educated and fully capable of having cogent and fair discussion.

It just takes a bit of skimming to skip the posts that are not worth a response or even a read...

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Like the other half that are saying the court system is invalid? I'm not one to say that debate in here is always above par...frankly most of it comes from the ignorant and juvenile.

But there are also a lot of people in this thread who are quite educated and fully capable of having cogent and fair discussion.

It just takes a bit of skimming to skip the posts that are not worth a response or even a read...

Fair enough. I'd like to add that I'm not some Samsung fanboy, I'd just prefer if all products were allowed to sell rather than being banned. If Apple's devices are as good as they say, they should need to seek injunctions.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Anyone has a link to the sentences to see which 2 patents exactly were infringed?

Because in this case, the "copycat" is NOT Samsung, but Android itself. Galaxy Tab 10.1 has vanilla Android 3.x, not Samsung Touchwiz

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Wow... Apple is playing so dirty. Using an injunction to deliberately delay the Galaxy so they can't sell during the holiday season. So dirty. All the people who can't see why its dirty need to realize that an initial injunction is easy to get. All it takes is enough proof that the allegation could, not that it is, be true. Then while Samsung is fighting Apple in court which will take months if not longer, the injunction will stay in place, crippling Samsung, because gadgets have very short shelf-lives. Even if Samsung wins the case later down the line, the damage will already be done.

I think Samsung's a bully. I'm glad Apple won to be honest.
Are you serious?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Imagine what great things we consumers might have from Samsung if they were forced to innovate instead of copy?

Anyone who likes “freedom” and “choice” ought to applaud what's new, not what's cloned:

http://www.reddit.com/tb/kr14a

Samsung didn’t have to copy the iPod (and other Apple products) in such detail. They could have gone their own way, as some other tablet makers have done. Instead, they intentionally hoped to confuse buyers, right down to aping Apple’s packaging designs!

anberlinairlift

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Charlotte Hall, MD
Are you serious?

Absolutely I am.

First of all, let's just pretend they weren't being bullies for a minute. Samsung blatantly ripped off the iPad with the Galaxy tablet, and you don't think they should have to pay the price for that? If the iPad were YOUR invention, you wouldn't want some other company ripping off your ideas for use in their product, would you? They're only forcing Samsung to be more creative and come up with their own ideas. How exactly is that a bad thing?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Absolutely I am.

First of all, let's just pretend they weren't being bullies for a minute. Samsung blatantly ripped off the iPad with the Galaxy tablet, and you don't think they should have to pay the price for that? If the iPad were YOUR invention, you wouldn't want some other company ripping off your ideas for use in their product, would you They're only forcing Samsung to be more creative and come up with their own ideas. How exactly is that a bad thing?

The problem with your post is that the trial wasn't about trade dress or design of the tablet but for two patents about software not developed by Samsung.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Imagine what great things we consumers might have from Samsung if they were forced to innovate instead of copy?

Anyone who likes “freedom” and “choice” ought to applaud what's new, not what's cloned:

http://www.reddit.com/tb/kr14a

Samsung didn’t have to copy the iPod (and other Apple products) in such detail. They could have gone their own way, as some other tablet makers have done. Instead, they intentionally hoped to confuse buyers, right down to aping Apple’s packaging designs!

Imagine if Apple didn't copy either
design-apple-braun.jpg

Everyone copies, you just don't always realise it.

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
Fair enough. I'd like to add that I'm not some Samsung fanboy, I'd just prefer if all products were allowed to sell rather than being banned. If Apple's devices are as good as they say, they should need to seek injunctions.

The part I guess you are also saying, because it is what you are implying, is that you do not believe companies should defend their patents?

As I posted earlier, if you want to debate Patent Law, then by all means, go for it. But, as it stands now, if you violate a patent then the holder is entitled to licensing rights. Whether the patent holder is a massive company or a lone individual, this is the law in the majority of countries.

What will be interesting to see now is whether any of the Samsung patents get upheld.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Imagine if Apple didn't copy either

Yes, but they are completely different products, products that is also not in production anymore. A computer case from the 21st century having aesthetic similarities with a radio from the 60s is not really the same thing IMO.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
"Samsung will continue its legal proceeding against Apple's claim in order to ensure our innovative products remain available to consumers," it said.

Samsung makes innovative products?

Do you even realize that Samsung is one of Apple's biggest supplier, suppliying many of their essential parts?

You're blindly defending Samsung, thats a clear rip-off of the Apple's Smart Cover. Not to mention their proprietary ports, wireless keyboards and some of Galaxy phones which look very much like the Apple ones.
The covers were made by third parties, not Samsung. What proprietary ports are you talking about? Nobody likes proprietary ports, so what proprietary port is so great that Samsung has to to copy it?
And yes, I agree, the Galaxy phones look similar to the iphone, but it functions differently. And the functionality is what counts, not the form factor which is generic for smart phones(hello... a rectangle, with the screen in the middle, how innovative.)

What is this thing called Samsung you speak of... Never heard of it.

You need to get out more if you don't know who Samsung is. BTW, the new processor in that new iphone 4s is made by Samsung. Enjoy.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Only this forum feels this way. Every other website, including engadget (a pro-apple blog) sees it the other way.

I'm not going to apply the bully moniker to either company. But in any case, engadget is not a pro-apple blog by any stretch of the term. The blog posts are questionable but the people who comment on Engadget forums are as anti-Apple as they get.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I really hate to take sides in these law suits because many of them are ridiculous but Samsung's products were eerily similar to Apple's.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Absolutely I am.

First of all, let's just pretend they weren't being bullies for a minute. Samsung blatantly ripped off the iPad with the Galaxy tablet, and you don't think they should have to pay the price for that? If the iPad were YOUR invention, you wouldn't want some other company ripping off your ideas for use in their product, would you? They're only forcing Samsung to be more creative and come up with their own ideas. How exactly is that a bad thing?

Despite what you may believe, Apple did not invent tablets. Tablets were there way before Apple got into the tablet game. They just were successful making a tablet with the ipad. And Apple did not invent rectangles, or minimalism. Plenty of rectangular, screen in the middle, tablets well before Apple made the ipad. And Samsung runs android, which is a totally different OS from Apple's IOS. So how is Samsung ripping off Apple?

antbikerjl

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
With all these patent disputes and so forth, one would wonder if unbiased decisions on all these rulings were actually occurring. I would love to get a bunch of individuals together that have never used or laid eyes on either the iPad or the Galaxy Tab, and have them play with them and test them out. Would love to view their opinions on the matter if these devices are indeed "so similar" to eachother as people claim. Would be an interesting experiment... Either way, this won't hurt Samsung in the slightest overall, they will still be manufacturing things that run our everyday lives, and Apple will still rely on Samsung's creations in ALL their products. Without Samsung, the iPad or iPhone probably would've never seen the light of day, same could be said that without Apple, Samsung Galaxy tablets/phones wouldn't exist... But still, the mobile devision of Samsung is a fraction of business for them. Apple's mobile division for all existing circumstances, is their MAIN business.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Despite what you may believe, Apple did not invent tablets. Tablets were there way before Apple got into the tablet game. They just were successful making a tablet with the ipad. And Apple did not invent rectangles, or minimalism. Plenty of rectangular, screen in the middle, tablets well before Apple made the ipad. And Samsung runs android, which is a totally different OS from Apple's IOS. So how is Samsung ripping off Apple?

This is not about who was first with the tablet hardware, this is about patent infringement.

Microsoft had to pay up for a Word patent infringement, even though i4i wanted Word out of the market. Apple pretty much does the same thing now with Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.