Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dbrown

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2010
Yes, Apple stuffs are way overpriced, so PCs laptop with specs same as the current MacBook Air can't be sold cheaper than Apple.

lol you're crazy if you dont think once PC manufacturers start cranking out these ultrabooks that they wont beat the air in both price and specs.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Fair enough. I'd like to add that I'm not some Samsung fanboy, I'd just prefer if all products were allowed to sell rather than being banned. If Apple's devices are as good as they say, they should need to seek injunctions.

Let me give you a scenario. Suppose you devote time and other resources to developing a really cool product. You sell this product and it becomes a huge success. Then, somebody else comes along and reverse-engineers your product. Then, they create a copy of that product and sell it. What incentive would you have to invest in resources into developing another really cool product if the only thing that's going to happen is that someone else will come along and just rip it off?

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
This is not about who was first with the tablet hardware, this is about patent infringement.

Microsoft had to pay up for a Word patent infringement, even though i4i wanted Word out of the market. Apple pretty much does the same thing now with Samsung.

Patents are given, or rather should be given, for new and innovative creations. If you're not the first, and its not new, why should you be protected by patent laws?

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Patents are given, or rather should be given, for new and innovative creations. If you're not the first, and its not new, why should you be protected by patent laws?

Please point out who filed the patent before Apple did.

It looks to me like you're creating your own RDF just to keep your ideas valid.

eMace

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
Does anyone know what patents Samsung is accused of infringing on? All I saw was something about swiping to get to the next photo. Seriously? So can voice interactive programs sue apple for Siri now?

D**khead move by apple.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Please point out who filed the patent before Apple did.

It looks to me like you're creating your own RDF just to keep your ideas valid.

Apple got a patent for a minimalistic tablet design, just a rectangle with screen in the middle, without the home button. It was deemed different enough for a patent. So they do hold a patent. But they should not, because its just minimal and not innovative. Again, let me repeat that patent laws are there to protect innovation and creativity. Nothing innovative, and creative, about a rectangle.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If Apple carry on doing this, they will eventually become the most hated tech company in the world without question.
They may not be by many at the moment in time, but it will come.
You don't make friends by growing big and being a bully which at the end of the day only hurts the public.

It will be a slow change, but it will happen unless they learn now that "he's" no longer in charge.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Apple got a patent for a minimalistic tablet design, just a rectangle with screen in the middle, without the home button. It was deemed different enough for a patent. So they do hold a patent. But they should not, because its just minimal and not innovative. Again, let me repeat that patent laws are there to protect innovation and creativity. Nothing innovative, and creative, about a rectangle.

And that is not what this injunction is about. And Apple could not care less about what 'they should not', just because you think so.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Let me give you a scenario. Suppose you devote time and other resources to developing a really cool product. You sell this product and it becomes a huge success. Then, somebody else comes along and reverse-engineers your product. Then, they create a copy of that product and sell it. What incentive would you have to invest in resources into developing another really cool product if the only thing that's going to happen is that someone else will come along and just rip it off?

What like a car you mean?

Perhaps only Ford should be allowed to sell cars?

All other cars would have to have only 3 wheels and be triangle shaped with no roof, levers instead of foot pedals and a foot controlled steering wheel.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I'm glad I don't live in Australia. Not that I want a tablet, but it's always nice to have options and fair competition.

Copycats are anything but fair.

Copycats are reprehensible and need a good slappin'. I'm glad Oz is giving it to Samsung. They earned it.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

Let me give you one. Say you devote time to developing a product that has some similarities to another companies product, despite it using a different OS and having different specs, and then you aren't allowed to sell it because of the irrelevant similarities.

Which should be the official computer of the world? The official car? the official headphones? Because all can be described as being similar.

It doesn't matter what scenarios we give each other because we're going to spin it to suit our argument.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So apple is the bad guy right ?

If that's true why are all these countries banning the sale ?

Is apple paying their government off ?

Maybe there's actually something to this that some here don't understand.

Exactly. Germany is one of top 5 economies in the world, and now Australia.

In addition, the consumers are voting with their wallets, in that they are buying iPad instead of the knockoffs.

jake921660

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Australia
It looks like 90% of the posters in this thread didnt read the OP. The injunction is not due to the shape or the look of the tablet or its OS. It is because of the touchscreen and gestures.

You're blindly defending Samsung, thats a clear rip-off of the Apple's Smart Cover. Not to mention their proprietary ports, wireless keyboards and some of Galaxy phones which look very much like the Apple ones.

The covers are made by a third party company, not Samsung.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011

All other cars would have to have only 3 wheels and be triangle shaped with no roof, levers instead of foot pedals and a foot controlled steering wheel.

Haha. Good one. I got a good laugh from that. Some of the people on this board don't seem to understand what innovation is. If its minimal like 4 wheels and and engine to run it, it shouldn't be patentable. Else like you said, we'd be driving around in some ridiculously designed cars.

jameskatt

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Samsung is EVIL.

Samsung = EVIL.

Gnusmas = DEVIL in Korean.

Evil is as evil does.
Samsung the copyist.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
I think Samsung's a bully. I'm glad Apple won to be honest.

Samsung's a bully? How about Apple, are they not too?
I don't know who started that patent-lawsuit war, but apple has screwed Samsung over hard time.
And what the hell about the photo swiping thing? Is it patented to swipe between photos?? How is that even possible?

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
"Samsung will continue its legal proceeding against Apple's claim in order to ensure our innovative products remain available to consumers," it said.

Samsung makes innovative products?

Yes. products so innovative that even Apple - the inventor of everything - relies on them.

----------

Just like how Android phones are beating out the iPhone?
Wait a minute.
:rolleyes:

He said "in price and speccs". Android is "beating out" the iphone in price and speccs. Sales too for that matter.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
Let me give you one. Say you devote time to developing a product that has some similarities to another companies product, despite it using a different OS and having different specs, and then you aren't allowed to sell it because of the irrelevant similarities.

Which should be the official computer of the world? The official car? the official headphones? Because all can be described as being similar.

It doesn't matter what scenarios we give each other because we're going to spin it to suit our argument.

First of all, I like how you dodged the question by posing that ridiculous rhetoric.

Second of all, you don't seem to understand this lawsuit ordeal very well. "Official computer of the world"? "Official car"? Why would any of that be relevant here? Is Apple trying to sell the "Official tablet"? Think about that before you answer. Do you see a lawsuit against Motorola? HTC? Asus? Acer? LG?

No. Here, you have Apple suing Samsung, and that's it. But all you and a few others happen to see is Apple suing Samsung and you spin that into Apple trying to sell the "Official" tablet? That's some terrible logic you have. I'm interested in how you'll spin that.

And as for your loosely relevant rhetoric, consider a few things. Your defense is that the Tab uses a different OS. Hmm... That's certainly some strong support there. And it has different specs too? Oh, the products are COMPLETELY different now. Because, apparently, the only way this would be a problem is if Samsung ran iOS :)confused:) AND had identical specs.

And honestly, don't even bother trying to refute that, because that's exactly what you're implying. So either reevaluate your position or reevaluate the way you defend it.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
It's clear that Galaxy tab looks similar to ipad2. I love android and never had any iphone. Maybe that makes me an android fanboy. But I will admit that Galaxy tab could be banned in many parts of the world as the design looks very similar (i intentionally use the term similar, not same). Nobody could argue that the design is totally different.

But that's not the end of story. Is it really?

1. Samsung has 17 various patent cases against apple in US. NOT all of them are FRAND related. 8 of them are not standard-related. What if just one of them sticks through? Remember the whole share price of apple depends on 2 products - iphone and ipad. Maybe that patent could be as silly as placement of an antenna inside the covers or a minor code which was put there unknowingly. What would happen to apple share price? Would that make iphone any less innovative product?
2. Blocking tab in Aus is bad for samsung. I have Samsung shares, so I am concerned. But, I also know there are things which many people don't know or simply don't care to know. They are investing in batteries for electronic cars with Bosch. They are expanding into solar cell panel business. Samsung BioLogics - a biopharmaceutical plant is already open. They are also investing 7.3B in LED lighting plant and also starting in medical devices business. Total investment in these new techs is more than 20B. They recently opened the Line-16 memory fabrication facility, the largest in the world. They are using it for 20nm yields for both SSD and DDR3's. AFAIK, there is nobody else in the same scale and efficiency level to match this line. They are already sampling Exynos 4212 (not 4210) to customers using 32nm with scaled-up GPU. Also recently released 1/2.3 S5K2P1 sensor with 16MP, BSI and capacity to take 8.3MP video at 60fps. That's much more than full HD.

So, I know if one product is a failure or banned/removed/blocked in some countries, it won't have much of an impact on the share or market value.

I would like to hear from apple fans what would happen if someone opens a case against apple from slavishly stealing the look/feel of the Android notification system. Say whatever you want, it is a blatant rip-off of android notification. That's a fact and it does not matter however you try to spin the story. Fact remains apple also stole from android.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
I'm glad I don't live in Australia. Not that I want a tablet, but it's always nice to have options and fair competition.

Like the choice between cow meat or kangaroo meat? A choice I'm sure you don't have where you live.

----------

What would happen to apple share price?

2. Blocking tab in Aus is bad for samsung. I have Samsung shares, so I am concerned.

Say whatever you want, it is a blatant rip-off of android notification. That's a fact and it does not matter however you try to spin the story. Fact remains apple also stole from android.

First can you spare us your financial market schemes. You buy Samsung and sell tomorrow, who cares?

Next, has Apple been asked to address the similarities between them and Android on the notification method. And what did they say? I don't care how some guy on this forum spins it. I want to know Apple's take on the subject. Did know one even ask them?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It's clear that Galaxy tab looks similar to ipad2. I love android and never had any iphone. Maybe that makes me an android fanboy. But I will admit that Galaxy tab could be banned in many parts of the world as the design looks very similar (i intentionally use the term similar, not same). Nobody could argue that the design is totally different.

But design has nothing to do with the injuction in Australia

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain

You can have the same form factor (maybe because is the only valid) but different looks, see laptops for instance, all of the, have the same form factor but most of them looks different, right? So why Samsung can only make a tablet that is almost identically to the iPad?

And yes, the tab look a lot like an iPad, the first time I saw one in a mall I thought it was an IPad until I saw it more close and noticed the Samsung logo and the 16:9 screen, but I'm tech savvy, any regular Joe would think "look, the iPad thing everyone is talking about, let's buy one!"

----------

The covers are made by a third party company, not Samsung.

But the CEO of this third party is the son of The CEO of Samsung...kind of suspicious

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.