Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Ultra isn't going to work without a high-bandwidth distribution medium. BluRay isn't going to cut it, especially for live sports in 4k.

Current bandwidth can't even do half of what Blu Ray can do, years away from it to.

If Apple wants to do this, they have to invest in fiber all over the country, in competition with Verizon FIOS and Google Fiber. Apple can certainly afford it

To build there own nationwide network independent of anyone elses lines? Into everyones home? Even Apple doesn't have that kind of cash.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
These days, rumors of an Apple television set reminds me of PowerBook G5 rumors from nearly 10 years ago.

Weegee1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2013
"Ultra UD"? Shouldn't it just be "UD"?
I don't see the point of this. I'll wait for the nice UD TVs and use my Apple TV on the side. The future is nice :cool:

lev312

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
I can only imagine 1080p Blu-ray, or even 720p that is not compressed having better video quality than 4k compressed to fit into what will work with current bandwidth.

What Apple should focus on is producing a television that will fulfill perfection for videophiles and promote the importance of high quality video re-production. Funny how we are focuses on 4k when most people use garbage lcd panels than at the least slightly shift color and black levels with any off angle viewing. Try turning off the lights in a dark room and look at what happens to the black levels of any but the very best lcd tv, led backlit or not. At least we have some very good lcd's, and definitely plasma tv's with very good video quality, but the viewing experience is still ultimately up to the lighting and picture calibration.

If Apple could mass produce a very high quality display, where all pictures will by default be calibrated to reproduce sources with an exact standard I think they would have a hit. Even televisions such as the high end Panasonic plasmas can be finicky and most people don't have a clue about such issues. Perfect quality 1080p would be much more beneficial than half-assed and compressed 4k.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Exactly. Does everyone realize that the transition to HD from SD was formally initiated in 1986? It then took about 13-14 years for one local TV station to go HD. And it wasn't until about 2006 or so that many national cable stations were actually broadcasting a fair amount of HD content. Many local stations had to be dragged kicking & streaming into making the transition. In 2013, we're still waiting on some national cable channels to make the transition (and there's still a lot of SD "upscaled" that is shown on "HD" versions of their channels).

Yes and here in Australia the transformation is still not 100%, our main network channels still broadcast in SD and it will be another couple of years before they finally make the switch when the analogue signal is turned off to free up bandwidth for HD. I won't go into the details but here we have 3 main networks. Each has a license for 2 SD and 1 HD channel and since some have not made the change to HD the main channels are still SD. There are many more satellite channels in HD for those who can afford it.

It could be many years before we even see a start to 4k transmissions on cable or network and decades before they all can make the switch to 4k.

Weegee1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2013
"But unlike Sony and LG, Westinghouse's models will be barebones displays with no on-board Smart TV features and no elaborate 4K up-conversion video processing technology."

Good. I hate how my Samsung and Vizio TVs actually lag when going through menus! I just want 50 inputs and real buttons. My Samsung TV has black touch-pads on a black bezel, and I have to put tape on top of them for them to even be visible/useful. On top of that, it takes like 20 seconds to change the input.

----------

And where will the 4K movie/content come from?
Upconverted 480p?:confused:

From a computer... and producers will probably start outputting 4K now. It should be easy to do with today's movie technology. I'm sure the ≤1080p display is the bottleneck here.

----------

Current bandwidth can't even do half of what Blu Ray can do, years away from it to.

TV coax bandwidth can easily do 4K. Decently fast Internet connections should be able to start 4K movies without too much buffer delay. Even if it's slow, it's waiting 30 minutes for it to load vs going to buy/rent a disc.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Why not do a simple test? Sit 12 feet from the TV. And see if you can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p (exact same footage)

Already tried something similar to that and I concede that I can't tell the difference except for unrealistic scenarios such as a test pattern or pressing pause and closely looking.

What's the betting that anyone is going to produce an expensive product that only you can get the benefit of?

I have no doubt we are chasing exceptionally small diminishing returns on a normal size TV, and I would agree with you there. The thought of a 4K Apple TV seems silly to me.

BUT, I don't think 4K is useless in all scenarios. Part of whatever formula of usefulness we are using must include screen size and seating distance. I'm betting that if it's useful to have 1080P for a 50" screen, it would be useful to have a 4K projector on a 100" screen.

And a 100" projection screen is actually yesterday's technology. As Microsoft and others are planning entertainment rooms of the future where the entire wall is the display, or even all four walls, more resolution will be needed to get us there. 4K not only becomes a useful step in this respect, it is also perhaps insufficient!

But back to today. When it comes to picture quality, of far more and immediate importance to me is deep color for Blu-Ray and less compression for streaming. I may not be able to tell the difference between 720P and 1080P at a normal distance on a normal size TV, but I can certainly see color banding on even the very best Blu-rays, and blocky compression effects on streaming. As a matter of picture quality priority, I would rather see those fixed before 4K.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I really don't like where and how this company is going. I am much more excited over what products Sammy will bring it up than whatever apple has in store for near future. It just feels stale and incremental update coming instead of anything exciting in horizon. Apple Tv ? REally? I have $300 46 led tv w/ apple tv 3.. it works awesome for me... At least I am not going to shell out 3 grand for apple branded tv.. Wow.. watch? Seriously? .. iphone 5s ? wow.. really? What else do you have ? (Other than typical update coming up).

Air gesture by sammy was something that apple should have came out for it's hottest tablet LONG while ago.. Epic fail.

Stylus? People want it..

Bigger screen? People are flocking over there..

Count me for leaving iphone when iphone 5s comes out.. Wake me up when they decided that coming up w/ 4 inch was the lamest idea and eat up their words to make bigger phone sometime in 2014..

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Exactly. Does everyone realize that the transition to HD from SD was formally initiated in 1986? It then took about 13-14 years for one local TV station to go HD. And it wasn't until about 2006 or so that many national cable stations were actually broadcasting a fair amount of HD content. Many local stations had to be dragged kicking & streaming into making the transition. In 2013, we're still waiting on some national cable channels to make the transition (and there's still a lot of SD "upscaled" that is shown on "HD" versions of their channels).

There has been no formal plan for going 4K. There has been no national standards establishment by broadcasters for 4K. There has been no moves by the FCC to facilitate a new transition from HD to 4K. Even BD hasn't settled in on a finalized disc-based standard for 4K. Nothing. Getting a 4K TV into your home doesn't change any of that or speed any of that up. You might as well buy a 8K or 16K TV and dream just as hard. Every single set-top box would have to be swapped out again and every single SD set-top box has not been swapped out with an HD box yet.
While I definitely agree with you on this, I would add that there is another angle today that was not present at the onset of HDTV: much faster data speeds. That aspect, along with better compression technology, might take this in a different direction not tied to traditional broadcast media.

We are not there yet, but faster and faster data pipes are reality. Not that long ago it was not possible for Netflix et al to exist.

Time will tell...

Michael

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
It may be technically amazing, but it's likely you won’t be able to see the difference. 4K has a far lower chance of success than 3-D TV. At least with 3-D TV, you're able to see a difference. The only buyers of this technology will be the 1%'rs that want and can afford a full room wall-sized display like movie theaters have. This is not a big enough market to make it worthwhile.

Maybe for now, but I think it might have potential a little further down the line.

Antares

macrumors 68000
At 5' sure.

At 15'...

I
do
not
believe
you.

Agreed, probably not at 15. But you can easily make out the quality difference, though. 480i, 720p and 1080p are distinctly different at 15' and further out. I haven't seen 4K on a tv, yet. Only at the movies. So I can't comment on it.

Increased resolution allows for improved detail at all distances, even if you cannot "see" actual pixels.

Last edited:

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
And I can run a 100 metres in 5 seconds.
Actually I can't. Because human beings can't do that. Damn biology.

Nor can they resolve much more than 60 pixels per degree. There's this irritating limitation of human anatomy, the size of cells in the retina, and the optical limitations of a squishy bag of goo to consider.

The only way anyone with regular human eyes will be able to resolve the benefit of 4K from the couch is using binoculars.

We all know that bigger numbers are always better. Right?

But when in reality, people can't actually tell the difference, you don't have a better product. You have just a regular product with bigger numbers on it.

If Apple are working on a 4K display, its a retina monitor or iMac.

Not a television.

I'm sorry you have bad vision, on the bright side you'll save a ton of money on TVs in the future!

I'm not exaggerating or lying, on a sharp 80" TV, sitting where I like to sit to watch it, movie theater style at my house, I CAN tell the difference. You may not be able to, but don't put your limitations on me.

I also use the computer on my TV and can clearly see issues with it when I'm reading. 1080p is NOT enough and I welcome the 4k improvement.

Maybe you shouldn't sit 15 feet away from your small TV and you'd be able to tell too?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
While I definitely agree with you on this, I would add that there is another angle today that was not present at the onset of HDTV: much faster data speeds. That aspect, along with better compression technology, might take this in a different direction not tied to traditional broadcast media.

We are not there yet, but faster and faster data pipes are reality. Not that long ago it was not possible for Netflix et al to exist.

Time will tell...

Michael

most people are like me, we pay for the cheapest data pipe for internet

for me its 20/1 from time warner. FIOS cheapest internet is 15/5. unless i get a free upgrade from my ISP i'm not paying $100 or more a month to stream at higher quality. i'll just buy a blu ray for stuff i want to watch

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
But lets assume you are a mutant with super human visual acuity.

What's the betting that anyone is going to produce an expensive product that only you can get the benefit of?

I prefer to think of myself as having normal vision and people who can't tell the difference to be lacking...

And it's nothing to be ashamed of, my girlfriend cannot tell the difference between the iPad 2 and 3, it's great for her b/c she got the thinner one at a cheaper price!

It's not a product that only I can benefit from, there are a lot of people that can tell the difference, as there are a lot of reviewers at this years CES who not only said it was a big difference, but also that upscaled 1080p content looked improved. Likely, upscaling will be used a lot until 4k content is more common place.

While I ultimately think that TV makers need to focus on a better picture, not just more pixels, the pixel jump is coming. It's an easy thing for TV manufacturers to do, and consumers will buy it, because they will naturally assume 4k is better than 2k.

Right now, I agree that not everyone watches a giant TV close up theater style like I do, but what if they did have a 100" TV or projector that looked great up close? Maybe more people would! It doesn't take special vision to notice this difference, we're just not doing it right now, but we will.

Seriously though, you need to read some of your statements. Just as I said, you're like one of those people a few short years ago who couldn't understand the retina screen, and probably before that HDTV. Why do I have to buy a new TV, my standard def is fine... and it doesn't have those black bars!!!!

It's coming, deal with it! The real question is, will Apple be bringing it?

Edited to add a paragraph.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
most people are like me, we pay for the cheapest data pipe for internet

for me its 20/1 from time warner. FIOS cheapest internet is 15/5. unless i get a free upgrade from my ISP i'm not paying $100 or more a month to stream at higher quality. i'll just buy a blu ray for stuff i want to watch
The fact is average connection speed is rising year-over-year. I don't see how you can dispute that.

That said 20 mbps down is higher than average in the USA.

As for me, I'd rather pay for just a data connection and not be tied to a cable or satellite subscription either separately or "bundled." In my eyes that is where things are headed. It is only a matter of time. "Broadcasting" is so last century.

BTW: "Most people are like me" is generally false unless it is about having two arms and two legs :D.

Michael

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada

Weren't those like a Macintosh Color or something with a TV Tuner card or a whole TV all together?

----------

you're probably right but don't you think any 4k display will cost $2.5k+ anyway?

add the apple tv hardware and ecosystem / content possibilities and an apple tv panel becomes a reasonable deal.

True enough, but that said, I can say I was close.

----------

The current crop of 4K TV's are in the neighborhood of $20,000.

So I guess we can say that may be the price range. If you fully configure a Mac Pro with all kinds of accessories (That's configuring it with the best and most high-end hardware) you can pay up to $17,000 no problem. I guess I can sort of see Apple pricing it like that, unless they come up with some trick to make it less costly.

It's the same thing as an HP Z820 Workstation. Fully configured that machine will cost around $28,000 to $30,000. With no accessories.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I beg to differ. H.265 is just around the corner and it's going to cut down bitrate by 100% for 1080p. So for 4K, which is 2K vertical resolution, you'll only need twice the bitrate instead of 4x. If you can stream a 5GB movie, you can stream a 10GB one as well imho. The only problem is the percentage of available content that'd make sense at 4K. Most TV shows are being shot and mastered at 1080p. So converting those to 4K is a waste. Old movies are not worth it either. But new movies which are shot/scanned at 5K (5K vertical) will be nice.

But, a 5 GB movie is smaller than many DVD movies.

The main feature on my BDs is usually in the 25GB to 35GB range - that would make 50GB to 70GB downloads even at the optimistic H.265 projections.

Youtube at 4K. LOL

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You can't really compare to DVD. That just uses ancient MPEG2.

If you believe that, you can't compare H.264 to H.265.

The usual comparison is that MPEG2 and H.264 are 2 to 1 (an H.264 version at the same quality is half the size of the MPEG2 version). People here are using the same 2 to 1 approximation for H.265 vs H.264.

Of course, this is a "typical" result - some content will be better, some will be worse. On average, though, 2 to 1 is a fair estimate.

But DVD movies average around 5 GB for the feature, and BD movies are 25-30GB on average. How can that be if the codec is twice as efficient?

H.265 movies at half the size means that a movie with 4 times the pixels will only be twice the size, right?

On the other hand, the sheep may be perfectly happy with 4K content compressed to DVD quality. History supports that idea.

Last edited:

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
This is just the harbinger for a 4K iPad...

Phil's going to be up on stage (like in the iPad 3 event) claiming how the iPad 4K has 1 million more pixels than a 4K HDTV.

:p

... a 4K iPad would have 6.8 million more pixels than a HDTV.

----------

If you believe that, you can't compare H.264 to H.265.

The usual comparison is that MPEG2 and H.264 are 2 to 1 (an H.264 version at the same quality is half the size of the MPEG2 version). People here are using the same 2 to 1 approximation for H.265 vs H.264.

Of course, this is a "typical" result - some content will be better, some will be worse. On average, though, 2 to 1 is a fair estimate.

But DVD movies average around 5 GB for the feature, and BD movies are 25-30GB on average. How can that be if the codec is twice as efficient?

H.265 movies at half the size means that a movie with 4 times the pixels will only be twice the size, right?

On the other hand, the sheep may be perfectly happy with 4K content compressed to DVD quality. History supports that idea.

Because blu-rays have 2 million pixels per frame, times 24 frames per second, times the length of the movie, while DVDs only have 345,000 pixels per frame. that's over 6 times the resolution, for a two fold increase of size (the actual AVC data on a blu-ray takes between 20 and 30GBs, depending on bitrate, the rest is audio (at least a few lossless copies for various countries, usually English, + Russian or whatever) then audio for every other country in lossless, and 50MB subtitle files for every subtitle language (usually ~15) then there's HD extras, menu video loops and audio loops, Java, security stuff, etc.)

I rip blu-rays for my media server, and the average file size is about 22GB, including lossless audio converted to FLAC, plus English subtitles in PGS AKA BMP.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Why not do a simple test? Sit 12 feet from the TV. And see if you can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p (exact same footage)

Already tried something similar to that and I concede that I can't tell the difference except for unrealistic scenarios such as a test pattern or pressing pause and closely looking.

I can. And my eyes aren't that special. Sounds like someone needs a bigger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.