Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
For anything new, it's stored on the computer. All they have to do is re-output it to 4K. What's so hard about that? And I know how much bandwidth it will use... 4X at most.

I didn't mention old movies. Of course I know that upscaling to 4K is very difficult.
Just store it on it computer and viola, the content is magically 4K.

Try taking a 16x16 picture file then blow it up to 4 times its original size.
Doesn't it look great?

You obivously need to educate yourself about how a 1080p or even a 4K master is created.
They do not upconvert anything.

The original source(film or digital) is typically higher in resolution than 4K.
The studios must scan each frame of the original and downconvert it to a format(1080p, 4K) which we can watch at home. At the same time as they downconvert, they must attempt to retain all details.

This usually takes months to complete unless they don't care and let a machine DNR/scrub it to death, alter color timing just to get 4K content out quickly.

They will have to do this for anything they release for public consumption.
Just because content is new doesn't mean it's 4K or can magically be made 4K just because you have the HW.

THE SOURCE BEING USED/PLAYED MUST BE 4K IN RESOLUTION.
Otherwise, you are just upconverting.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I'd be more interested in seeing 2K or 4K IPS Cinema Displays for video editing before a 4K TV. (Though the current 27" is almost 1.8K, I would at least want a perfectly halved 2K before doing serious video editing. Not to mention the PPI is pretty terrible currently at 27").

An affordable 4K IPS display would be nice, wouldn't it? If we are to have lots of 4K content in the near future, we need tools now.

You should educate your self on how 4K content is created.:rolleyes:
The studio's don't just take a 480p or 1080p source and magically make it 4K.
That would just be upconverting.

They need to go back to the film print or digital source(for newer movies) and master them to 4K resolution. This costs money and time.

A subset of existing material would benefit from 4K. High-quality 70mm epics from 50 years ago would be suitable, as well as the current 4K movies coming out now.

Chicken or the egg. 4K content won't be available until 4K screens are widely available. 4K screens won't be available until 4K content is widely available. We already went through this with HD. It's really not so hard to imagine the content and screens will arrive at roughly the same time.

I expect 4K to show up on prosumer gear well before many people have it in their living rooms. Somewhere, it said that this was just an exploratory project, not an impending product. It is difficult to make this stuff affordable right now. But, that is what they said originally about HD, and now, everybody has it.

Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of 2160p? I think uncompressed 1080p is already pretty incredible... And more than I need... And 120hz? Overkill.

Yes, you are the only one. I know somebody who insists that VHS cassettes are more than enough resolution. Maybe I should introduce you ;-)

So forget it. I like 3D movies a lot.

3D is another reason why more pixels and faster refresh are better.

You obivously need to educate yourself about how a 1080p or even a 4K master is created.
They do not upconvert anything.

The original source(film or digital) is typically higher in resolution than 4K.
The studios must scan each frame of the original and downconvert it to a format(1080p, 4K) which we can watch at home. At the same time as they downconvert, they must attempt to retain all details.

This usually takes months to complete unless they don't care and let a machine DNR/scrub it to death, alter color timing just to get 4K content out quickly.

They will have to do this for anything they release for public consumption.
Just because content is new doesn't mean it's 4K or can magically be made 4K just because you have the HW.

True enough. I think most people get this.

Well, yes. But, theoretically speaking, a content creator/reprocessor can actually extract more resolution than the original from most scenes that are not moving too quickly (in which case, it probably doesn't matter most of the time -- high-speed scenes looking blurry anyway). You already can buy COTS software to do this now for series of stills. The same thing can be done for enhancing HD -> 4K content. All it takes is software, labor, and servers.

For consumers, obviously a subset of people have room for a 70"-80" screen, but, another subset might like to watch up close to a monitor as people do now. Between the two, I think there is a market for 4K, although it has to be fewer than current HD.

I'm also not so concerned about bandwidth. People who live fairly close to a CO can already get 20 Mbps DSL (with dual-channel available in some cases). That should be just about right for pre-processed (movie) 4K. Realtime 4K (for sports mainly) would presumably need closer to 100 Mbps, so, not many people can do that today. But, perhaps in 5 years.

Weegee1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2013

Again, I know. Anything animated is stored as vector graphics on the computer and can be rendered at any resolution. Textures will have to be re-built, though. The other question (for non-animated movies) is whether or not the pro video cameras they use(d) record at >1080p. I'm pretty sure they do. For example, they could have Inception stored on a computer as a master copy at 4K resolution, but they downscaled it to 1080p when it was released.

eleven59

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Well if you Buy Sony 84" 4K Ultra 3D HD TV you get 10 movies in 4K with the Tv now and smaller version are coming soon...
http://store.sony.com/c/S_4KTV/en/c/S_4KTV

4K movies built in.

Get the most out of your 4K Ultra HD TV1 with this special collection of Hollywood movies, digitally mastered in 4K resolution. The first ever collection of 10 full-length feature films delivered in 4K to the home includes:

The Amazing Spider-Man™
Bad Teacher, featuring Cameron Diaz
The Karate Kid, featuring Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith
The Other Guys, featuring Will Farrell
Battle: Los Angeles
That's My Boy, featuring Adam Sandler
Salt, featuring Angelina Jolie
Total Recall 2012, featuring Colin Farrell and Kate Beckinsale
Taxi Driver
The Bridge on the River Kwa

I don't think I'd want any of those movies in 4k... Let alone VHS...

Well the last one is a classic I guess..

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
I agree with the others on here that a 4K screen is absolutely useless what with not only the current quality of the iTunes HD image but also the sound and more importantly the extreme limited content offered.
I hope you can turn the darn thing off easier than the current Apple TV too.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I agree with the others on here that a 4K screen is absolutely useless what with not only the current quality of the iTunes HD image but also the sound and more importantly the extreme limited content offered.
I hope you can turn the darn thing off easier than the current Apple TV too.

Netflix works pretty well through an AppleTV or Roku. OTA is even better if they don't divide bandwidth onto a bunch of subchannels. Live CBS 1080p with no subchannels, for example. (It is kind of sad how many people don't realize that all they need for HD is an antenna.) Or BD even better. There is no reason to use iTunes HD as the standard of comparison.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
An affordable 4K IPS display would be nice, wouldn't it? If we are to have lots of 4K content in the near future, we need tools now.
Ha! "Affordable" being the key word! That's why I said 2K.

1lEkddT.jpg

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
The way that Apple will avoid the price battles of the premium manufacturers
is by differentiating it's tv with two critical advantages.

1: The tightest possible integration with the Apple ecosystem to leverage their current captive customer base.

2: An Apple label on the tv.

Thsee two critical features will enable Apple to charge a 30% premium over their competitors as the faiithful
squeal with joy and flood Cupertino with a tsunami of trillions of dollars of Bernanke funny money.

Agree somewhat, but I still don't see (but Apple might proof me wrong) many people buying such an expensive device.

Why? Because we're talking about price levels which only pros are willing to pay. In addition, Apple's Cinema/Thunderbolt Display by far haven't seen an equal adoption rate as other Apple products - because people don't see displays/TVs as Apple's core competence. Sure the same was expected when the iPhone was introduced, but again, on a merely moderate price level compared to the recent rumors.

A maxed out ATV X including an App Store opened to developers should be the solution.

rojomo

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
Is Apple really this stupid

if they really put their name on a $2,500 "half-baked" TV, then Apple will certainly get what they deserve. NO SALES! But then again, a sucker is born every minute and they will be the ones buying those TV's.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Yes. They copied Apple even though Apple hasn't announced a TV. :D

That makes no sense at all - how can something that they're selling today be a copy of a non-existent Apple product?

Oh - smacks forehead. Did I miss the <sarcasm> tag?

;)

----------

if they really put their name on a $2,500 "half-baked" TV, then Apple will certainly get what they deserve. NO SALES! But then again, a sucker is born every minute and they will be the ones buying those TV's.

Actually, I'd wonder how many Apple televisions with tiny or no logos will sell, vs how many Apple televisions with the gawd-awful chin with a big half-eaten Apple on it would sell.

The fans buy the logo, not the product.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So let me get this straight. People are exciting about Apple putting out a 4K television because of the amazing quality both Apple and 4K can bring to the table. Is that right? Apple - the same company that wants nothing to do with physical media - the only way to deliver anything remotely 4K QUALITY right now?

Makes perfect sense. iTunes already serves up HD programming that's stunted in bandwidth. Does it look ok? Sure it's "good enough" for a lot of movies. But it certainly lacks compared to blu-ray. Internet bandwidth - for the masses - isn't "here" yet enough to stream 4K.

Can't wait for people to post how amazing their TV looks regardless - completely ignoring the actual potential of what 4K can REALLY look like.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
HDMI can do 4K just like they could do 3D....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...10240&cs_id=1025503&p_id=10207&seq=1&format=2

This cable supports the following HDMI features:

1080p Resolution - This High Speed HDMI Cable has sufficient bandwidth to transfer 1080p video signals between 1080p rated source and sink (display) devices.

HDMI Ethernet Channel - The HDMI Ethernet Channel provides 100 Mbps, full-duplex Ethernet traffic along the HDMI cable, allowing a wired or wireless Ethernet connection on one device to be propagated to other devices. Note that for this feature to be functional, all pieces of equipment between the Ethernet source and the destination must support the HDMI Ethernet Channel feature.

Audio Return Channel - Normally, your HDMI cable carries audio information along with the video from a source device (e.g. blu-ray player) to the sink device (display/television). Often times this goes through an AV receiver to drive a home theater audio system. The Audio Return Channel is primarily used to send the audio signal generated by the television when its internal tuner is used, back to the AV receiver, so that you can use your home theater audio system when watching television signals.

3D - 3D is the latest rage for both home theater and gaming. A High Speed HDMI Cable is capable of handling the high bandwidth requirements of 3D signals.

4K - The 4K resolution is 3840 x 2160 pixels @ 24 Hz, which is four times that of a 1080p display and the same resolution used by state-of-the-art Digital Cinema systems. A High Speed HDMI Cable is capable of handling the high bandwidth required for 4K support.

Deep Color - The Deep Color feature provides a minimum of 8-bits per color element (24-bits total), providing for a total of over 16 million color variations. Other versions of Deep Color allow for up to 16-bits per element, for a total of 48-bits and over 281 trillion color variations, which really makes your video images come to life!

x.v.Color™ - x.v.Color is a promotion name given to the products that have the capability to realize a wide color space based on the xvYCC specifications and is a trademark of Sony Corporation. Currently, only AVCHD and Playstation™ 3 devices support x.v.Color.

High Definition Audio - HDMI supports a full range of high definition audio types, including SA-CD, DVD-Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio™, and Dolby TrueHD™.

Ok,thanks,so its just up to Apple if to open its new TV to HDMI or not....and i don't think it will,as with Imacs...even if i saw in patent they dep a wireless way to transmit to a detachable display...by means of a chip..maybe this is not only related to next laptops but..even for all the next Apple display generation.
Look here :
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...als-their-hybrid-notebook-tablet-details.html

----------

Display port or HDMI.

On November 28, 2012, Sharp Corporation announced the PN-K321 which is a professional 32 in (81 cm) LCD Monitor that uses a IGZO panel and edge-lit LED backlighting.[67][68] The PN-K321 will have a resolution of 3840 × 2160 pixels and will support 60 fps with the DisplayPort connection, 60 fps using two HDMI connections, or 30 fps using a single HDMI connection.[67][68] The PN-K321 will be released in Japan on February 15, 2013.[67][68]

I saw it but it's 32 inches..while rumors we're saying (for Apple U-HDTv)something between 46 and 55...and if i'm not wronging the Sharp one was around 5000 dollars...so..

Last edited:

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Can't wait for people to post how amazing their TV looks regardless - completely ignoring the actual potential of what 4K can REALLY look like.

On the other hand. I'm looking forward to hearing about all the dents/scratches their televisions have out of the box as well as the yellow tint on their displays. And, of course, the fact that the remote won't work unless you hold it correctly.

If this magical machine comes to fruition.. There isn't going to be enough popcorn to go around for this cry-fest post-release. :D

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Look here,new Sony 30/56" 4k monitors
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/07/sony-unveils-professional-4k-oled-monitor-prototypes/

and those ones
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/07/sony-4k-tv-pricing/

5000$ as entry price..so maybe the monitor could be at 3000/4000?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/08/sony-4k-oled-prototypes/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...e-budget-friendly-4k-tvs/?subj=cnet&tag=title

So,3800-3900€ for a 4K its quite good for a 55,i mean the new Wt60 by Panasonic Led Tv which is just 1080 is 2500€..so..i suppose that with Apple Tv on the ring the prices will decrease makin us happy^^
Maybe in one year or two we will have a 55 4K around 1500-2500€...which is the price some rumors are saying about the Apple Hdtv...
Thanks Apple^^,i suppose your hdtv already fears so mich that vendors are running like a hell to be in our homes first^^.

ps.
The first 4k Hdtv under 1500$!!!!!!!!!
http://m.tigerdirect.com/applicatio...1-CjCE&gclid=CIfU4a61vrYCFVGf4AodIT8AQg#bmb=1

http://www.shopnbc.com/Seiki_50_Sli...Cable_Two_Year_Extended_Warranty/437-325.aspx

Very fast 4K price lowerin isn'it ?from 25000 to 1200-1500 ,now the question is,which has the best quality for less?If this is the beginning^^...

Last edited:

kenitox

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
Maybe the ITV is an Ipad- sized personal 4K OLED travel TV. Then at least it would be something new. :D

berol

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
With 4K coming in the Mac Pro, launching them together late this year makes some sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.