Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
The PPI of the 6s PLUS (Full HD on 5,5 inch, 401 PPI) barely acceptable??? Wow, now it's really getting really pretentious ... Or the psychological effect of an even higher number on paper does manipulate your mind way too much. We can argue anytime about display quality differences - LED, OLED, whatever – but when it comes to PPI, your eyes simply aren't able to see the differences anymore at this level. Objectively speaking, it simply isn't possible.

Some people can still discern jagginess, if not necessarily individual points, at 400 PPI.

Be thankful you are not one of them, so you can save money and still be happy with less expensive displays.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
What in the world are you on? The Air 2 display has obvious jagginess for many people with excellent near vision.
I'm in a world where I'm a professional whose eyesight is being checked twice at year.
And there is no obvious jagginess in an iPad Air display...

A 9.7" isn't supposed to be watched from 5 cm ... or your excellent near vision will vanish in a very short time :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's obvious that Apple holds back tech intentionally so that competitors like Samsung can be the first to market with similar tech. Anyone can see that.
Obviously. That's why they saved 3D Touch for the iPhone 7.....oh wait...

You are if you can't turn it off. It then becomes an anti-productivity feature. I disable Siri, for example, because I occasionally activate it by mistake when I press the Home button. If I couldn't disable it, I would use my iPad less.

3D Touch, for me at least, isn't something that's easy to accidentally activate like Siri might be.mi'd rather Apple not clutter up settings even more for something that most likely a very small number of people would toggle off.

Last edited:

JamesDo

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
AppleInsider again copied the Kuo rumors from their reliable source, what a bunch of fools. It's so funny to see: Kuo rumors posted -> AppleInsider comes with the exact same story from their own source within minutes. This shouldn't even been posted on MacRumors.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I don't want to have the ability to accidentally trigger something that I don't plan on ever using, and don't like complicating my processes. I like the idea of peek and pop, and while I was genuinely excited about it beforehand, I don't like the end result of said feature. I'd rather have it turned off.

I wouldn't say I naturally put that much force on the screen often, but it certainly happens (at certain angles, or in situations when I press on my phone without having my full attention on it, etc.), and it is unwelcome during these times.

I concur with your feeling; it sounds as bad as Undo on the iPad.

Whenever I plonk myself down with the iPad, up pops the Cancel/Undo window because of the movement. I wish I could turn it off. It's such a stupid thing. As if anyone shakes their iPad to undo. And just another example of how unsuited iOS is for the iPad.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
watching the video again of '3D Touch innovation' on Apple's site, Phil in the video mentioned it was "dynamic" and while they use senors to detect. its' still dynamic, which means it can change..

Why is this technology not scale-able? It's just senors is it not? or is it just the fact its would be too expensive, and Apple would rather choose a cheaper path. for larger devices?

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
You're doing it wrong. I might not use it all the time, but when I do it just works the way I expect it to.

Funny you say that, I've recently been told I use my iPhone too fast lol. Reminds me of "you are holding it wrong" and now, I'm selecting it wrong too. Hilarious. By the way, I do use it all the time, unlike you, and since iOS 3.

So, I wonder, if I'm using it wrong, are all these people using it wrong too?
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2siskp/is_it_just_me_or_is_it_a_pain_in_the_ass_to/

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
No 3D Touch for iPad Air 3 doesn't mean no 3D Touch for iPads period.

Well it kinda does. If they can't put 3D Touch in an air then they can't put it in the pro which only leaves the mini. And I can't see them skipping the pro and air a generation while the mini supports 3D Touch.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i don't see use for 3d touch, or the logic. its to big to hold it and even to make a pressure with your finger on the ipad pro or air
think about it, with one hand you hold it and with the other you must touch and press..not so easy, probably Apple will think to use some a more light pressure for the ipads

Reactions: trifid

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
How about a UI that's properly designed for iPad displays and not a blown-up version of the iPhone's Ui?
What about this ?

ipad-pro--center.png

Reactions: Vanilla35

attila

macrumors 6502a
Im not sure how functional 3D touch would be in it's current form- not literal function in the OS, but usage scenarios.

Since the different force-options for a button are hidden from the user, and can be different in different apps, it's actually a terrible user experience. I've yet to see where 3D touch makes sense outside a computer game.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
What in the world are you on? The Air 2 display has obvious jagginess for many people with excellent near vision.

No it hasn't at normal distances and I'm holding one RIGHT NOW.
If you put it at a few inches from your face, then maybe that's the case (if your eyes can focus at that distance).

Reactions: Max(IT)

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Some people can still discern jagginess, if not necessarily individual points, at 400 PPI.

Be thankful you are not one of them, so you can save money and still be happy with less expensive displays.

Jagginess could come from how diagonal lines are rendered and not just resolution BTW.
This is why anti-aliasing exists.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
AppleInsider again copied the Kuo rumors from their reliable source, what a bunch of fools. It's so funny to see: Kuo rumors posted -> AppleInsider comes with the exact same story from their own source within minutes. This shouldn't even been posted on MacRumors.

You do know how news works right? Newspapers, blogs etc. report on stories reported by experts or people in the field. Kuo is a widely recognized expert and his views are subsequently reported by all main rumor sites. Macrumors does not have the capacity nor the network to perform the kind of analysis that Kuo does. It is legitimate that they report on this.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
3d Touch functionality is of course very much welcome but I think Apple needs to bring on these long delayed, much-desired features into an iPad Mini/Air once for all:

- all the default apps that come with an iPhone like Calculator, Stocks, Voice Memo, Compass etc
- Low Power Battery Mode (the most egregious one)
- Display Zoom View
- Reconfigure Grid in Home Screen to a denser system of icons, 5X6 or 5X7 even.
-Bring more RAM for better smoother game play. 2GB is really, really...[fill in the blanks yourself]

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Funny you say that, I've recently been told I use my iPhone too fast lol. Reminds me of "you are holding it wrong" and now, I'm selecting it wrong too. Hilarious. By the way, I do use it all the time, unlike you, and since iOS 3.

So, I wonder, if I'm using it wrong, are all these people using it wrong too?
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2siskp/is_it_just_me_or_is_it_a_pain_in_the_ass_to/
Well, that's strange. I still do think the people that complain are just not really used to the way it works on the iPhone 6s. Because, again, it works perfectly fine on mine. In fact, I'm getting more used to it than ever before. Problem is, I simply don't always need it. Only use it when I do a typo or when I want to copy a specific part of the text. If I want to select the whole text I use the 'old' way, which works much quicker. It's simply a tap and immediately I swipe to the end of the text. That's it, there's nothing more to do.

But for selecting a specific part 3D Touch does the job pretty well actually.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Apple is already doing that; slide over, split view and PIP only exist on iPad.
True. However, in my view, they could further differentiate the desktop view. It got huge unused spaces between icons, what is ok for 5.5 inch display, is not for 12 inch display. Perhaps the icons size could be adjusted (clock, calendar, weather), whatever, to make it live and useable.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
You've got to wonder what the "gee whiz" feature of the iPad Air 3 will be, then. Just a faster processor? That would be a weak update.
it's gotta be the pencil. God Please, let it be the pencil! I don't want the bloated Ipp, but I WANT the pencil!

Electroni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2014
I personally think the current resolution of the iPad is definitely sufficient for a tablet.

I find it somewhat amusing that some people say that the existing 264 PPI iPad display is not sharp enough when more than 40% of all iPads currently in use don't even have a retina screen.

In the past Apple has concentrated more on user experience rather than talking up specs on iOS devices so I think there's a reasonable chance they'll keep the resolution as is.

The top three things I would like to have in the next iPad are LTE band 12 support for T-Mobile, more RAM, and possibly a weight reduction. It would be nice if they could get this guy under 400 grams (if you've ever held a Galaxy Tab S2 then you'd know what I mean).

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
You've got to wonder what the "gee whiz" feature of the iPad Air 3 will be, then. Just a faster processor? That would be a weak update.

I can't think of any gee whiz features on my laptop updates, just speed. why different for an iPad?

you're not supposed to upgrade annually.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Nope. maybe in web images that aren't optimized, but I have excellent vision (perfect, no glasses, etc) and there aren't jaggies at normal use distance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.