Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boesky

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I have the 250GB HD and I frequently get a beep as well. What will Apple do for me?

looking4anotebo

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
I have a MBP that is about 2 years old. I replaced the stock hard drive a few months ago with a 320gb seagate with the g-shock thing. I have noticed the annoying beeps and little bursts of lag. Looking forward to a solution.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Macman1993 said:
And I thought my computer was just unique lol. I hated it at first but I've actually come to like the little beep noise and being as I'm not having any freezing I'm ok with apple taking their time on this one and if they issue a recall I think I'll wait till an update on the MBP and then try just to see if I can get the same priced computer but better lol although my hopes aren't high on this one. I was impressed though when my old $1200 MB got replaced they didn't give me a computer with the same specs but the current $1200 MB which I put towards a new MBP

Hmmm, I would return it anyway. It appears your "period" key is broken.

wessto

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
I am the original topic poster both here and on the apple support site. Please see the following links for reference:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/727453/
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2049659
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2042490

Here's a bit of what has happened in my situation so far. Had the original ST9500420ASG drive in my build-to-order June 09 MBP 15. It has the 0006SDM1 firmware in it. Had the click + beep + freeze from day one. This was prior to the 1.7 firmware update. Wondered what was going on, was hopeful for a fix in the 1.7 firmware update, but as we all knodw that did not happen.

I tried my hand at getting apple to do something, but they would only offer to replace the computer which at the time was not an option as I had just started my post doctorate educational program and downtime was not acceptible. They would not arrange to ship me a new hard drive at that time.

On recommendation of another poster, I opted to try the non-G drive ST9500420AS with enclosure from OWC and install it myself, thinking I would have a backup 500 GB drive and an enclosure as well. I installed it and everything worked flawlessly. The firmware on this drive was the 0002SDM1 (apparently older, but I don't know their naming convention)

In the meantime, my schools tech support people (my school is an authorized apple reseller, not sure if that matters) quickly got me a replacement G drive, also with the 0002SDM1 firmware on it.

I again swapped this drive in to see if it worked better. I did not hear any beeps, but there was an abnormal, yet different click from time to time. I did not notice any beach balls when using this drive.

Preferring the silent no-clicking of the non-g drive, I swapped it back in and decided to give that one a try for a while.

I used the non-G drive without trouble until yesterday, 8-9-09 at which point the system froze, mouse still working but otherwise unfunctional. Of note was the faint, but different than original, beep at an interval not unlike the busy signal on an american land phone line. I had to hold my ear up to the hard drive area under the keyboard to hear it well. Only option at this point was to hold down the power button and cross my fingers.

The machine did not boot up. Powering on the system led to the same faint beep - beep - beep sound.

I decided to put in the "newer" G drive with the 0002SDM1 firmware and have been using it since yesterday. So far its ok. But I have to admit I don't trust these things at all. This is the first computer of any kind that I've had so much trouble from the beginning with and it really is coming at a bad time for me. I'm in a post-doctoral specialty program that is very demanding and I'm probably going to pay for spending so much time writing this post but hopefully it helps someone. I don't have time to worry about my computer and its ability to let me get work done. I'm glad that prior to all this I had a very comprehensive and regular back-up plan in place and through it all I've lost an insignificant amount of data. I sincerely hope there is a firmware fix. If not in the short term, I may opt for a different brand of drive.

Of interest is the fact that in my program, all 6 residents were required to buy macbook pro's. Of the 6 of us, 2 of us ended up buying the June 09 15 Build-to-order with a 500 GB 7200 drive. The other guys drive is ok as far as I know. The others in the class bought before the new ones were out and I don't think any of them upgraded to the 7200 rpm drive.

Also of interest is that I have a BS and MS in computer science but it did not make me any more credible in posting this 1.5 months ago as a definate problem. Oh well. Its amazing that even with the traffic the apple support forum has received that this issue is just now coming to the surface of the bigger news sites. I tried to message Arn about this some time ago and got no response.

...and yes...before everyone chimes in with helpful hints...I have tried
1.) hdapm
2.) turning off the "turn off hard drives when not in use" option
3.) resetting NVRAM / PRAM
4.) SMC reset

None of these for me did anything. Smart Utility gave some useful information with regards to parking numbers, and before I swapped the original drive out I ran it and it was reporting drive failure. I'm scared to run it again on the replacement G drive with older firmware.

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
was just about to upgrade

Hmm...I was just about to buy a new MacBook Pro (in two days) with a 500 GB hard drive (the $2300 15" model). Anyone know if that model is affected by this?

soundman2385

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
Yes I bought the $2300 model and experienced the problems, but with apple putting in a new hard drive there seems to be no more beeping noise or read and write errors. The drive seems to be working just fine. My old hard drive made the noises when it was just sitting on my desk and not even processing anything, so not because of the motion sensors.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
EASY FIX to see if it is SMS...

It is likely that Seagate gave Apple the wrong drive firmware on the OEM models.

But there is a simple, simple fix. Anyone who has this issue can try it and see if it is the conflicting SMS.

Disable SMS by opening terminal.

type:
sudo pmset -a sms 0

then just enter your password when prompted.

SMS is now off, and if those behaviors stop, then you know it was a conflict...

PS - you can check if the setting was set by typing sudo pmset -g

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I must be lucky. I installed G-force enabled Seagate ST9500420ASG to my MBP (2007 SR) and have had zero problems. Revision 0002SDM1 by the way. And I'm running the latest Leopard, so it is not Leopard either.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I have a MBP that is about 2 years old. I replaced the stock hard drive a few months ago with a 320gb seagate with the g-shock thing. I have noticed the annoying beeps and little bursts of lag. Looking forward to a solution.
Apple is probably not going to release a fix applicable to your computer. You shouldn't have bought that drive in the first place.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I had this issue on my previous 17" uMBP. Apparently, if I switched to a Western Digital 500GB Scorpio Blue drive, the clicking and stalling and stuff stops. It seems the Seagate drive is the fault for all the troubles.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
I´ll join the club..
WDC WD5000BEVT,doesnt go to full sleep automatically, slight revving and clicking since I replaced the old drive in my MB. Good to know that apple is maybe doing something.

It just feels weird that hdd manufacturers have not been able to come up with some kind of standardisation of specs that would minimize this kind of problems?
Dang.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I´ll join the club..
WDC WD5000BEVT,doesnt go to full sleep automatically, slight revving and clicking since I replaced the old drive in my MB. Good to know that apple is maybe doing something.

It just feels weird that hdd manufacturers have not been able to come up with some kind of standardisation of specs that would minimize this kind of problems?
Dang.
With all due respect your problem is not the same one that the article mentions. The article references 7200RPM 500GB drives, and the only one manufactured is a Seagate model. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a fix from Apple for your particular problem.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
There's lots of threads on Dell and Asus machines with the same problem. It's a seagate firmware problem, I'd bet my lunch on it.

They eff up the firmware all the time these days, makes me wonder if they know what they are doing.

Sheldon

Gotta stay away from that Dell junk.

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Sudden Motion Description

Does anyone know if all 7200rpm 500GB drives used in MacPros have the sudden motion detector, or just some?

As I understand it the "ASG" description on the hard drive is the GForce option.
I have just upgraded my 2.4ghz MBP with this drive, Model: ST9500420ASG, which is the 500gb GForce drive. Touch wood I have not had any freezing just yet. Maybe this is due to the fact the MBP is 2 years old

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
With all due respect your problem is not the same one that the article mentions. The article references 7200RPM 500GB drives, and the only one manufactured is a Seagate model. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a fix from Apple for your particular problem.

It does seem that it's an issue for non 7200RPM drives too though. Plenty of discussion on Apple's forums. They need to be looking at all the problems.

I've got the WD5000BEVT drive too and I do get the occasional lock-up but it's not too bad. Just waiting on the delivery of a new MBP with a stock 500GB drive and dreading what problems may await with that one!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I have just upgraded my 2.4ghz MBP with this drive, Model: ST9500420ASG, which is the 500gb GForce drive. Touch wood I have not had any freezing just yet. Maybe this is due to the fact the MBP is 2 years old

Same here. Our older "Santa Rosa" models seem unaffected, this problem only surfaces on the newer UniBody versions. Lucky us ;) Or perhaps all self-upgraded drives are fine, Apple just got a bad batch from the factory?

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
It is likely that Seagate gave Apple the wrong drive firmware on the OEM models.

But there is a simple, simple fix. Anyone who has this issue can try it and see if it is the conflicting SMS.

Disable SMS by opening terminal.

type:
sudo pmset -a sms 0

then just enter your password when prompted.

SMS is now off, and if those behaviors stop, then you know it was a conflict...

PS - you can check if the setting was set by typing sudo pmset -g

The fact that I have an older MBP that is not exhibiting these problems goes along with that idea regarding faulty Seagate firmware.
Also when I open System Profiler my MBP seems to think it is a 17" G4 Powerbook!!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Also when I open System Profiler my MBP seems to think it is a 17" G4 Powerbook!!

This seems strange, it shouldn't be that way. My older 2007 Santa Rosa MBP correctly thinks it is in fact a MacBook Pro. I do not have these Seagate issues, but I did the HD swap myself (since that model was not available in 2007).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.