Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

Chip5y

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
True. But it's still part of why I'm in the Apple ecosysytem and not Android. Yes, they both collect information about us. (I would bet Google collects the most). Apple uses that information to give us a better experience. Google will also provide you key information to improve your experience, but they are also heavily leveraging that info for advertisments etc.

Don't be fooled, just like Google, Apple also uses the information they gather for advertising purposes. Apple's iAds works in exactly the same way as Google's Admob. Using collected information to direct advertisement.

But don't worry. In both systems the advertiser never gets to see personal information, the advertiser just selects a target audience and Apple and Google make sure the advertisement is directed to the right audience (the targeting all happens in-house, by Google and Apple themselves). I personally don't get the taboo around this subject, your personal information isn't sold it's just used to target advertisements.

(look at it like this: you can sell information once, not a great business plan, but when you control the targeting yourself companies always have to come back to you as you control the necessary information)

elemenoP

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
M7 chip and third-party developers

The headline says that APPLE is working to leverage the new motion-sensing chip. But presumably the data should be available for any developer to leverage. For example, GOOGLE could also use this to improve their iOS map app, right?

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I must be missing something because they match 100% for me.

No, they don't. There's another runway to the northwest of the furthest north runway shown on Apple's map (not satellite view, just map). Look again. The runway is on the other side of the road that runs along the north side of the airport.

The runway is there in the satellite view but is nowhere to be found in the map view. You can see it in the hybrid view because of the satellite overlay but it's not colored in purple like the rest of the airport complex.

rcalderoni

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Like the part about not joining wi-fi networks when you drive by. That happens on my iphone a lot when driving home. I'll stop at a light and try to do something real quick and my phone has joined a really weak network (optimum usually, they cover most of my ride home but poorly...) and it takes longer to do then if I just used my cell data.

You should be careful of what network names you have set to auto-connect/remember because if you do generic things like 'linksys' then this can be a potential security flaw if your system is automatically joining generic unlocked networks and using them to send data in public.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
You should be careful of what network names you have set to auto-connect/remember because if you do generic things like 'linksys' then this can be a potential security flaw if your system is automatically joining generic unlocked networks and using them to send data in public.

Didn't know that. Thank u for the heads up.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Proven? When? Where?

Here's where paranoia hits you: When you don't look at reliable sources, but at unreliable websites who read these reliable sources, don't understand a bit of what they are reading, and as a result claim things that their source never claimed. And like this poster, when you make claims without turning the brain on and thinking about what you're saying first.

I'm not dismissing privacy concerns. Quite the contrary. There's a lot of evil stuff going on. What I dismiss is people who make up things and poison the discussion with paranoia. For example, idiotic claims of NSA backdoors. The NSA having a backdoor usually means game over for privacy. Nothing you can do. But that's not true, it's just paranoia. If you read the proper facts, you'll know that your privacy is endangered, and you can learn what to do about it.

----------

Silly me. I've been reading unreliable sources like The Guardian, who are the ones that actually have the leaked documents related to NSA, and Apple itself.

The post you replied to said

Yay! More opportunities for Apple to collect data about us.

And your reply was

Same old paranoid nonsense.

The M7 motion chip appears to collect more data on what a user is doing to provide a better experience. Which is a good thing, and I am actually looking forward to this feature for fitness and other uses that are hopefully under development.

The problem is, we just have to hope that Apple does not collect or store information from the iPhone 5S's new technology, such as the motion chip and the fingerprint sensor (yes, it will be encoded data and not the actual fingerprint — but if a phone can decode it, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the government could figure out how to as well if this data were collected).

I don't like that I just have to hope tech companies and the government don't collect my information without my knowledge. Even taking Apple's statement I linked to above at face value, they admit to getting 4,000-5,000 requests from the US government in 6 months. "From time to time" they refuse to fulfill the requests. It's safe to say that most of the time then, they hand over user information to the government. And if it's an order from the (quasi-legal) FISA court, we aren't even given the right to know if any information has been collected or what type of information it is.

So until we do away with PRISM and similar programs, the FISA court, and tech companies' inability and/or unwillingness to protect user data, then it's not paranoid to be concerned when more information will be available for possible collection. Yes, as you say, people should be properly informed. I agree that everyone should do this. Posting things like "same old paranoid nonsense" does not encourage this, in my opinion.

CKA

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
True. But it's still part of why I'm in the Apple ecosysytem and not Android. Yes, they both collect information about us. (I would bet Google collects the most). Apple uses that information to give us a better experience. Google will also provide you key information to improve your experience, but they are also heavily leveraging that info for advertisments etc.

Totally agreed. Apple collected the info for mainly improving user experience. Google collect mainly for selling our privancy.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I don't feel like re-replying, so please see: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17885136/

Your reply/post you linked too has nothing to do with what I said.

I just said if you're so skeptic then you might as well not be on the computer. If you're writing a novel or something like that you can do it by hand. Exactly how it was done years and years ago.

Anything you do on your computer can just about always be retrieved. It's almost always been that way. It's just the nature of computer. You deleted something into the recycle bin? Unless that memory location was already rewritten it can be retrieved. So make sure you're even careful deleting stuff from your computer from now on.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Your reply/post you linked too has nothing to do with what I said.

I just said if you're so skeptic then you might as well not be on the computer. If you're writing a novel or something like that you can do it by hand. Exactly how it was done years and years ago.

Anything you do on your computer can just about always be retrieved. It's almost always been that way. It's just the nature of computer. You deleted something into the recycle bin? Unless that memory location was already rewritten it can be retrieved. So make sure you're even careful deleting stuff from your computer from now on.

I'm a business intelligence principal consultant , I know a thing or two about computers. My profession also demonstrates to me how powerful seemingly irrelevant data is. What you say is unfortunately reality, but we deserve better, that's all I'm saying

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The M7 will be critical to the iWatch. Just wait.

I hope so.

I can envision an iWatch that works with the M7 and knows the difference between driving, running, walking and understands bench pressing, and deadlifts based up wrist movement.

As a gym rat, this would be phenomenal for my personal needs.

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I like the name M7, it gets rid of the crappiness of iPhone5S compared to iPhone 5, really no upgrade, apart from a 30 month old gimmick (fingerprint scanning, Razer Atrix 4G), because it reminds me of a better phone, the HTC ONE (code name M7).

----------

i like the google now suck your battery dry in an hour version a lot better

That would be your tiny batteries fault. *scoffs at 1500mAh battery in iPhone 5S*

harlemexplosion

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
The headline says that APPLE is working to leverage the new motion-sensing chip. But presumably the data should be available for any developer to leverage. For example, GOOGLE could also use this to improve their iOS map app, right?

doubtful. Apple might make that chip a proprietary service, boosting their own services over "imitations"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.