Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OAK77uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Update from an earlier Post of mine: (Apologies I am still being a newbie to this Forum)

My Mac Mini: Late 2012 i7 Quad Core 2.3Ghz 1 TB Fusion 4Gb - Offered Replacement: Current Model: 3.0Ghz 1Tb Fusion 16Gb

Have been with Apple since mid 1980s.

Have had my issues over the years. in my earlier post I have had a couple of long-term problems (a MacBookPro Early 2011 Fully Loaded - everything that took 3.5 years to remedy finally replacing with Mid 2014 MBP Retina - sorted).

Within weeks I was having issues with Late 2012 2.3Ghz i7 Quad Core 4Gb 1TB Fusion Drive (I updated the Ram to 16Gb Crucial - working fine - still is).

Over the last 18 months the MM has had 2 x Logic Boards, both provable faults finalising in a Replacement 1TB Fusion Drive issue - after much time over the whole Case - it too was Replaced - great! No! On arrival test programs in the studio showed faults in the SSD part of the Fusion Drive to the point of Failure.

After much 'non' negotiation - never heard what was offered in all my years with Apple: I was given an ultimatum that I had to accept the current Mac Mini - first it was the i5 version and after much conversation I had to put a cessation to the 'non' place we were going! I did manage to get the Offered the Current poorly received Mac Mini 3.0Ghz and offered the 16Gb Ram Upgrade (as I'd paid £115 GBPounds upgrading at time of purchase 3rd party) Dual Core: which is the only unit available.

I was told, categorically, that I had to accept as that is as far as Apple would go - it had to be a 'Like for Like' exchange.

In the past I have always been offered on replacement an 'Upgrade' whether Processor or by some other means as 'Customer Goodwill' - not this time. When I explained that there was 'No Like for Like' being offered as I would be losing Firewire 800 - my Motu based studio runs on Firewire and there was no 'Like for Like' 'Quad Core - 8 Threads' and my intensive Apple & Apple App Store Programs would force the 'offered' MM to be working at up to 70% down on my MM (and I have spent a huge amount on my Studio programs since mid 80's) it had no effect.

With suggestive help here I did send a message to 'Tim Cook'. Great I heard back the very next day But the Customer Relations Representative told me the same as the previous AppleCare Rep - "Apple would not offer a 'Like for Like' computer. "Apple no longer make the same specification as your model MM" - immediately I suggested (as I did to the AppleCare Rep) 'Let Me Pay the Difference from Your Offer Mac Mini to the next available Quad Core Unit - that being an iMac?'

I would pay the difference between the units. The answer, set in stone, was simply "No".

I have recommended some pretty serious people since the 1980s to use Apple Computers - I won't name them here but they are world-famous, and I'm happy I did but I now feel completely let down by Apple especially as I have stayed a firm customer since around 1986. I have paid every program update, as was in the old days, have regularly updated computers, when I was able to - I have never not used Apple and followed Logic Pro X from the start up as Notator/Creator - Emagic - Logic etc paying sometimes £200+GBPounds a year to keep up with the fast moving technology.

Today I finally gave in: Not fully but almost: Having made an agreement that I would try the Offered Mac Mini to see if it will work to the same speed as my Late 2012 Mini (which worked faultlessly when working) on the understanding that I could send it back if it was not 'Fit for Purpose'.

The Apple Customer Service Rep gave me Apple's 10 days Agreement to Setup System and Try all the programs I have.

Here there is an exception: I have an Disabled Elderly 87 year old Mother, who has Carers 4x a day, lives 130 miles away, and we will be up with her around the time of receipt of the new machine.

This I explained but once the clock is ticking Apple have no way to turn it off - Unless - I manage 3-4 days ahead - tell them of my predicament. However - it still might not work and I will end up paying on my Credit Card whether I want to nor not and end up with.... well I'm sure you understand.

By the way: When I asked if I could contact Tim Cook again - the answer was that all my emails would be directed back to Ireland and I would have no one, but no one, I could turn to for help!!!

Do you think Tim Cook's Team in California check this Forum? I guess not.

So I pose the opening statement once again:

"What would you do? AppleCare offered me Replacement Late 2014 Mac Mini i7 3.0Ghz 16Gb 1TB Fusion Drive for my Late 2012 i7 2.3Ghz 16Gb 1Tb Fusion Drive - Would you take this offer?"

Thanks so much for reading and all the help and suggestions I've had and I hope this makes sense.

I really don't know where to go from here if the Replacement doesn't work.

Michael

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
"What would you do? AppleCare offered me Replacement Late 2014 Mac Mini i7 3.0Ghz 16Gb 1TB Fusion Drive for my Late 2012 i7 2.3Ghz 16Gb 1Tb Fusion Drive - Would you take this offer?"

Honestly? I'd use the one significant advantage of the Apple hardware ecosystem, and like you mentioned, "pay the difference" between a new 2014 Mini and an i7 Mac of your choice. That is, take the new Mac that Apple gives you (whatever it happens to be), and immediately sell it -- as even used Macs (especially Minis) maintain a high level of value, and I suspect you can get near list price for a new one. Then, just purchase whatever machine you really want.

Sadly, Apple is not lying when they say that they don't make i7 Minis any more. :(

EDIT: That is, they don't make quad-core i7 Minis any more...

Last edited:

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Honestly? I'd use the one significant advantage of the Apple hardware ecosystem, and like you mentioned, "pay the difference" between a new 2014 Mini and an i7 Mac of your choice. That is, take the new Mac that Apple gives you (whatever it happens to be), and immediately sell it -- as even used Macs (especially Minis) maintain a high level of value, and I suspect you can get near list price for a new one. Then, just purchase whatever machine you really want.

Sadly, Apple is not lying when they say that they don't make i7 Minis any more. :(
This is similar to what I suggested in his other thread. I agree with you.

Reactions: jpietrzak8

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Always worth a shot to try it out, but they sort of neglected the "Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter" when you said you required a Firewire port.

Probably will require a power brick for any bus powered Firewire devices though, since it doesn't supply hardly any at all for bus powered devices.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I really don't know where to go from here if the Replacement doesn't work.

You sell it and use the money toward the computer you need, possibly taking a hit on the price.

If I understand you correctly, you have spent 100's of hours on the phone over a period of several weeks or months, have contacted Apple on two continents, and escalated all the way up to Tim Cook's email.

At some point you need to move on. I don't even know how you've managed to go on this long. I couldn't go for months without a computer that I needed.

OAK77uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for your reply.

Getting my head around the fact that a New Mac, no matter which model, cannot be choice if 'Not fit for Purpose' for a 'Pay for Upgrade' within the Apple network. Not business logic, not in my understanding.

I've been asked to test out the New Unit this morning - as it was I had to re-connect with Apple because I would not have had an Audio connection as I use Pro Motu products on Firewire hence needed the Firewire to Thunderbolt cable, was not at first understood, as the Apple Customer Service guy thought the New Mac Mini's still had the Firewire Connection... shows that the emails are not being read, and they were paragraph after paragraph easily laid out with my replies to them.

Ah, ho - let's see where this goes...

Many thanks

Michael
OAK77uk

EDIT: That is, they don't make quad-core i7 Minis any more...
[doublepost=1460033622][/doublepost]
This is similar to what I suggested in his other thread. I agree with you.
Thanks I remember what you said, just a slow way to obtain what would be 'Fit for the Purpose' I got the original Mac Mini for and it did all the things I needed until the issues started.

Many thanks once again.

Michael
OAK77uk
[doublepost=1460036389][/doublepost]
Always worth a shot to try it out, but they sort of neglected the "Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter" when you said you required a Firewire port.

Probably will require a power brick for any bus powered Firewire devices though, since it doesn't supply hardly any at all for bus powered devices.

Thanks for that - I didn't realise. When it arrives it will be the first thing to check.

Crazy that knowing all the issues from Reports - Reviews - Contacts with companies suggesting that it will either require Quad Core (as original was) or at least an upgrade from a 5400rpm Drive in the Fusion to an SSD - it all fell on deaf ears given that AppleCare will only do a 'Like for Like' yet there is no 'Like for Like' available...

I seriously don't believe the Apple Customer Rep, nice as he was, has a clue to the Apple Computers that Apple sell!

Cheers

Michael
OAK77uk

OAK77uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
You sell it and use the money toward the computer you need, possibly taking a hit on the price.

If I understand you correctly, you have spent 100's of hours on the phone over a period of several weeks or months, have contacted Apple on two continents, and escalated all the way up to Tim Cook's email.

At some point you need to move on. I don't even know how you've managed to go on this long. I couldn't go for months without a computer that I needed.

Thanks for the reply.

I know, I'm one of those people, who like to get to the bottom of why something doesn't work, I have tested out, in the Audio World, for other companies over the years and like to Troubleshoot hence my becoming Addicted to AppleCare going through all possibilities then finding what's happened above... Slow Lesson Learner coming from an age when it all started through to the 'chuck away' society we're in.

I've had the head of companies use the expression 'Don't work, chuck it...' ok when you've the money to simply do that, usually I'd get things to work but now technology has got us all beat at a much speedier level, usually if it doesn't work then it is scrap, no quick solder joints cracked etc.

So now I am waiting for the Replacement Mac Mini to arrive: should I bother to open it? Should I simply put it up for sale and then fund the difference to an iMac? Probably - now the next question: Who has the Lottery Numbers...

Seriously Thanks Everyone for all your constructive help.

Much appreciated.

Michael
OAK77uk

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What they're offering you looks like a "good enough" deal. You get a faster video GPU, more RAM, 1tb fusion drive.

Take it while the offer is still good!

OAK77uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for reply: the Replacement will soon be on its way. I'll test it out to see if it does what the previous Late 2012 MM did working fine with BlackMagic DaVinci V12.0, if it does then no problem and if I don't lose power to the Motu Traveler 3 via the Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter while transferring data through the Thunderbolt buss to the External TB HDs then it will be fine. The Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter arrived in the post this morning from yesterday evening request - let's hope the MM arrives as speedily.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Michael
OAK77uk

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I would of just took what they offered and sold it on and then bought another 2nd hand i7 Mac mini off ebay etc or a refurb model if you can find one

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA

They're offering you a like-for-like based on the currently available Mini 2014 models. I'd take the unopened fully spec'd 2014 Mini and pimp it on ebay. Then you can pick up a second hand 2012 and pocket the profit.

Reactions: ElectronGuru
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.