Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
man you guys are wasting money. with any insurance plan.

This. There is a reason all of these companies push these plans so hard, and it is not because they are trying to do you a favor, they print money for whoever sells them.

If you are really prone to breaking things, put a case on it or put $10 a month in a jar. If you don't break it, after two years you have $240 saved up for a new phone.

Especially if Apple continues to offer $199 replacements through the Genius Bar.

Kazakaz

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Best buy plan takes 3 days to get a new phone and you have to leave your broken one there for them to ship out. They offer loaners for $150 and reimburse you when you bring it back. Im switching to apple care+

When I had them send my iPhone 4 out in March it was only a $50 deposit for the loaner.

Jill1228

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Also going with AC+. Not much difference IME, other than 2 more incidents with ST.

You can call Apple on friday and they have said they will add it on over the phone. Just make sure to call when you first get the phone.

Yes that is correct.

YAY! Thanks I will do this! It will save me a trip when I DO have to go to Des Moines in 2.5 weeks

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Applecare+ way easier to deal with... make an appointment get your phone replaced on the spot, if they dont have it they order one for you next day.

VDubb

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
I got AppleCare+ on my iPhone 4S and iPad and SquareTrade on my MacBook Air. hat I learned is this.

AppleCare+
+ Geniuses seem to treat you better when you use AppleCare
- Doesn't extend to peripherals like with Macs (My smart cover fell apart and Apple refused to cover)
- No prorated refund (Using iPhone 4S w AC+ for trade in to 5 but it just goes to waste since they value it as $0)

SquareTrade
+ Cheaper, more incidents
+ Prorated refund. Sold my Air after 6mo and got most of my SquareTrade cost back
- I'm always scared of reimbursements. What if they deny it?

I'm not sure which I'll do with the iPhone 5 but I'm leaning on going SquareTrade.

AppleCare+ does give you a prorated refund. It's in the terms and conditions. I canceled my AppleCare+ on my iPhone 4S I sold and got about ~$50 coming back to me.

- VDubb

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
Best Buy is better... $169 no deductible.

Not sure if there is different policies at Best Buy but I had there warranty on my daughters iPod touch. When it broke they sent it off for repairs and a week later I got it back. They had used aftermarket parts and not genuine apple parts. Needless to say it only lasted a few months longer before completely dying. Wasn't impressed at all with there service.

I'll go with Applecare+ this time.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
If ST is offering the same as Apple Care plus more replacements, and you can trade it into the Apple store and they'll pay for it... I see no reason why Apple Care is worth it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Any of you guys experienced Square Trade? I'm wondering is better since they give 4 accidental repairs whereas AppleCare only gives 2. This is pretty much the only difference. Both of them give refunds if you get a new phone and wants your $ pro-rated and put it towards your new protection plan.

I started this thread a while back about the same thing: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1411857/

Thanks,
will

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Unless you replace your phone 2 times in your 2 year coverage, aren't these all a bad deal?

Square trade is both cost $150 to walk out with a replacement if you drop your phone in the toilet, but you can just get and "out of warranty" replacement from Apple for only $200 anyways...assuming it is the same as the 4S currently. And any power or home button defects are covered for the first year as well.

So if you have 0 replacements, you lose $100. 1 replacement saves you $50 and two replacements saves you $200.

In the end it is essentially betting $100 against yourself...If you "win" by breaking your phone then you only win $50.

People do know the phone comes with a 1 year warranty against defects, right?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
...In the end it is essentially betting $100 against yourself...If you "win" by breaking your phone then you only win $50....

And I'll take that bet any day of the week. I'm a clumsy mo-fo & I have my money saved up to spend right now, so for me, it's worth it. :D

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Last edited:

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Not sure if there is different policies at Best Buy but I had there warranty on my daughters iPod touch. When it broke they sent it off for repairs and a week later I got it back. They had used aftermarket parts and not genuine apple parts. Needless to say it only lasted a few months longer before completely dying. Wasn't impressed at all with there service.

I'll go with Applecare+ this time.

I agree with you. I also went with Applecare+...

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
That is a good point I tend to forget that. How about adding to renters insurance

I wonder what kind of deductible, would be applied if something happened to your phone. (Possibly depends on you ins. co.? And would you have an amendment in the policy or would it be covered under the dollar amount you've allotted for your belongings?)

armoredsaint

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
USA
I am getting Apple Care +. As I understand, you have to head to an Apple Store to get it set up though? WTF? I live 145 miles away from the closest one :mad:

reason is because so they can see your phone hasn't been stomped on by your issues with anger management as evident from your post ;)

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
reason is because so they can see your phone hasn't been stomped on by your issues with anger management as evident from your post ;)

Correction......One can call AppleCare + sales, and if you live a good distance they will sell you the AppleCare + over the phone once its activated. Already checked on this.... Twice now.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I wouldn't pay for any warranty service, but of the above AppleCare+ is the way I'd go if I did.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
"Doesn't cover water damage..."
That is incorrect. It does cover water and most other types of accidental damage.

"AC+ can't be cancelled..."
Also, incorrect. One can also cancel AC+ at any time for a refund.

2 claims versus 4 claims was the tipping point for me.

PLEASE be more careful & get your facts straight before posting to avoid the proliferation of misinformation.

----------

The co-pay is for accidental damage. Other hardware issues will be repaired/replaced without charge at the discretion of Apple's Geniuses.

Be careful I talked to squaretrade today and while you get up to 4 claims once you use more than the phone is worth your coverage is up. For example if it is unfixable and they have to reimburse you the full 649 or whatever full price is then that is it. Or if the first repair is 300 it will be 649-300= 349 coverage left. Apple replaces 2 no matter what with apple refurbished phones

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Be careful I talked to squaretrade today and while you get up to 4 claims once you use more than the phone is worth your coverage is up. For example if it is unfixable and they have to reimburse you the full 649 or whatever full price is then that is it. Or if the first repair is 300 it will be 649-300= 349 coverage left. Apple replaces 2 no matter what with apple refurbished phones

Exactly right.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Exactly right.

With Apple an out of warranty replacement is $200. How exactly is a repair going to run $300?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.