Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
With Apple an out of warranty replacement is $200. How exactly is a repair going to run $300?

Never though of it that was it would be smart to take to apple but you don't have to. You can send to them so you don't have to pay money out of your pocket (only deductible). No idea how much they charge but that is exactly what the rep told me today.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
It's not but at $200 per replacement how is Square Trade going to give you 4 replacements when the contract maxes out at $649 (for the 16gb iPhone)?

Where did you get that number and what do you mean the contact maxes out? I don't see that anywhere in the contract.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Where did you get that number and what do you mean the contact maxes out? I don't see that anywhere in the contract.

When you actually purchase the warranty they show you the maximum value of coverage.

THE VALUE OF YOUR COVERAGE:

The value of your Care Plan is in most cases equal to the purchase price of your item. Each time you file a valid claim, and we provide repair, the total value of your coverage is reduced by the cost of the repairs.

Then if you file another valid claim with us on the same item, and repairs are estimated to cost more than the remaining value of your Care Plan, the remaining value of your Care Plan will be offered instead.

So they will never pay out more than the retail purchase price.
For an iPhone 16gb they list the value as $649.
4 replacements is simply not possible.
4 repairs maybe, but not 4 replacements.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
With Apple an out of warranty replacement is $200. How exactly is a repair going to run $300?

There's a review on Amazon that says Square Trade values their own replacements at $235 each, and that the reviewer wished they had gone to the Apple Store instead.
Still not $300 but more than Apple's $200.

Does anyone have a link detailing the ability to have Apple handle the repair and Square Trade reimbursing you?
I see it in all the reviews but I can't find that on their website or in their contract.

Last edited:

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
How did I not see this?

Well, if Apple replaces it for $200 and I pay $150 total ($50 deductible), isn't that's still only $600 for 3 replacements?

Even still, if untrue, I paid $90 for my 2 year ST warranty. Still saved money.

Edit: meant 4 replacements.

Last edited:

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
Anybody has any experience on the esurranty.com? I think they have the cheapest coverage with loss/theft coverage but I'm wary of them and not a lot of reviews online. What do you think?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I wonder what kind of deductible, would be applied if something happened to your phone. (Possibly depends on you ins. co.? And would you have an amendment in the policy or would it be covered under the dollar amount you've allotted for your belongings?)

Depends on the company i am sure, for mine it was a rider for electronics, deductible is $100

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
How did I not see this?

Well, if Apple replaces it for $200 and I pay $150 total ($50 deductible), isn't that's still only $600 for 3 replacements?

Even still, if untrue, I paid $90 for my 2 year ST warranty. Still saved money.

My feelings exactly.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
So found out from my Allstate Renters insurance, my iPhone is covered for Theft only minus $100 deductible. And so how much should I say my 64GB iPhone is so he could add to my Personal Property limit? I should give hime the unlocked cost right and not the subsidized cost? How much is it for 64GB? Please advise. Thanks.

fisha20

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
You fools really are wasting money on these outrageous warranties. Most home owner's and renter's insurance policies already cover damage/theft to your phone.

If you own a home or rent and don't have home owner's or renter's insurance, then you're an even bigger fool.

What kind of homeowners do you have that you don't have a deductible? We have state farm on our house. Minimum deductible they offer on a house is what we have- $1,000. How is that helpful?

rangrbob

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
AppleCare+

Two years full warranty plus two accidental replacements. Seems like I won't have to worry about any scuff issues. When it comes time to upgrade and sell my 5 if there is anything cosmetically wrong with it a quick oops as I get out of my car and 50 bucks gets me a like new one. 50 bucks I won't need to spend on screen protectors or a thick protective case. Plus for an additional 50 dollars I could just throw it against my wall for the pure fun of it. Not that I would do that.

Fontane

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
OP, this is one of the most concise and informative posts I've seen on this forum. Thanks for taking the time to put all this information together for us.

I bought the iphone 5 yesterday from Verizon so I didn't have the option to add AC+ right away. I went ahead and added the VZW Total Equipment Coverage for like $10/month because I can drop the insurance any time. So now I have to decide if I should just get AC+ instead. I'll be traveling overseas for an extended period and a little concerned about lost/stolen phone, which VZW covers but AC+ does not. TEC is so much more expensive at $240/two years, I think I have to go with AC+ and just hold onto my phone for dear life.

I hate these decisions! :confused:

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
"Doesn't cover water damage..."
That is incorrect. It does cover water and most other types of accidental damage.

"AC+ can't be cancelled..."
Also, incorrect. One can also cancel AC+ at any time for a refund.

2 claims versus 4 claims was the tipping point for me.

PLEASE be more careful & get your facts straight before posting to avoid the proliferation of misinformation.

----------

The co-pay is for accidental damage. Other hardware issues will be repaired/replaced without charge at the discretion of Apple's Geniuses.

AC+ doesn't cover water damage as per Apple Care reps and their web site. Apple care is refundable, but not in full for the unused months. PLEASE BE careful when you say me or others to be careful.

In addition AC+ 100+tax, Sq.. is 89 with coupon and no tax.

Once again I don't work for AC+ or SquareTrade. I only try people to save couple bucks here with upcoming inflation :)

Once again AC+ doesn't cover water damage- you can swap you iphone for 199.99 as out of warranty.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
AC+ doesn't cover water damage as per Apple Care reps and their web site. Apple care is refundable, but not in full for the unused months. PLEASE BE careful when you say me or others to be careful.

In addition AC+ 100+tax, Sq.. is 89 with coupon and no tax.

Once again I don't work for AC+ or SquareTrade. I only try people to save couple bucks here with upcoming inflation :)

Once again AC+ doesn't cover water damage- you can swap you iphone for 199.99 as out of warranty.

Yes they do imlynxy...Water damage is covered....

"ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your"........As per the link below

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Yes they do imlynxy...Water damage is covered....

"ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your"........As per the link below

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf

Liquid contact. Pretty vague. It doesn't say anything about submersion.

Even then, why argue since ST is a better deal? :)

AppleCare+

Two years full warranty plus two accidental replacements. Seems like I won't have to worry about any scuff issues. When it comes time to upgrade and sell my 5 if there is anything cosmetically wrong with it a quick oops as I get out of my car and 50 bucks gets me a like new one. 50 bucks I won't need to spend on screen protectors or a thick protective case. Plus for an additional 50 dollars I could just throw it against my wall for the pure fun of it. Not that I would do that.

Same deal with SquareTrade but you get 4 replacements and it's $10 cheaper with coupon. :)

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I've always bought AppleCare (and now +). Had several phones replaced, no questions asked. Well worth the outlay. (I've never broken a screen, however.) I guess it depends on the store and "Genius" but every time I've been in to a store and they see the device has AppleCare(or +) they don't waste much time getting me another device.

Also be advised out of warranty replacements on iPhone 5 have increased to $229 from $199. Just FYI. (4S remain $199)

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Personally, if you are not going to get applecare, you should get insurance through Best Buy. $10 a month, unlimited replacements, no deductible. Also 1 replacement under applecare+ will cost you $150, but you lose that $100 whether you use it or not. If you do not get any insurance and need a new phone, it is $200, but you only pay if you need to :)

another perk to applecare+ is that you can walk in with a broken phone and 5 minutes later walk out with a new one....typically with carriers and best buy, there is a lay over period

Not true on the monthly cost. I work for BBYM, personally I find that AppleCare is the best IF you don't break ur phone often, since it is only $99. However, with GSP from BBY, it's $14.99 per month for iPhone with NO deductible, so if you break phones a lot, Best Buy is the way to go mathematically. However, if not then you may want to look at AppleCare

shiro13

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I tend to get my iPhone stolen and lost (I have such bad luck) and I was wondering what's a good insurance for theft/lost phone. Thank you.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
***I am a sales consultant for BBYM, there's a little bit of misinformation here about the protection plan. Not being bias, just laying it out so people can make their decision.***

For iPhones, it's $14.99 per month and covers everything except full submersion and lost/stolen. There is no deductible on a claim, HOWEVER, we do not swap the phones out in store. We do what is called a "Rapid Exchange" which requires sending the phone off and getting a Grade-A refurb back in 3-5 business days. During the time while the phone is gone, we offer a loaner phone that we hook up to your account (so you keep the same number). This loaner phone will have a $50 deposit that you get back to us as long as you bring the loaner phone back when we give you your refurb phone back. However, the loaner phone is entirely optional and we can hook up an old phone you own for free if your prefer.

How I tell iPhone customers:

Accident prone? Best Buy, $14.99, cancel anytime and no deductible

Not accident prone? AppleCare, $99 for 2 years, $49 deductible.

(I own the 5, but I'm not accident prone, guess who I went with? :) )

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
If I get AC + or SquareTrade for my iPhone 5 that has dents and software issues, and I get an exchange for a new undefective iPhone 5, does this void the AC+ or SquareTrade warranty? or use up one of the returns??

Choorel

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Squaretrade Benefit

I am going back and forth on this issue too. Having used both, 4 replacements through Squaretrade over the years, I can say one benefit of ST is that if you dump your phone they reimburse you for a new one. Not a replacement, a reimbursement. This means if there is something new you want, you can get it. And then get another Squaretrade for your replacement. Its a pretty nice thing to be able to do instead of get a straight up replacement.

For example, my sister dumped her phone in the ocean, and they reimbursed us $650 for hers. She used a backup for a while and now she has paid for two of our iPhone 5 upgrades and warranties.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
If I get AC + or SquareTrade for my iPhone 5 that has dents and software issues, and I get an exchange for a new undefective iPhone 5, does this void the AC+ or SquareTrade warranty? or use up one of the returns??

That's manufacturer's defects, not accidental damage, so "no."

Steelers7510

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2010
Lake Tahoe
I know this is somewhat unrelated but, if I walk in to my Verizon corporate store can they sell me Applecare+ at the time of purchase? I've done some searching around the net and am getting conflicting answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.