Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
generik said:
I wouldn't blame Dell's poor naming scheme, I do find fault that you would make out Apple's lack of naming to be a good(tm) thing.

So I have a Macbook Pro, "Which Macbook Pro?", "Oh.. the 2.0Ghz one", "You mean the first batch where the 2.0Ghz model is the upper model and has a 256MB of VRAM, or the later 2.0Ghz model where it is the lower model and came with 128MB of VRAM? Does yours whine?"

Apple has NO naming scheme. If you can't stand the other manufacturers using model numbers just refer to them by their generic name, it is the exact same thing as what Apple is doing. Can't stand Latitude CPx? Call it a Dell Latitude then. "CPx" is as much of an identifier to "Latitude" as "2.0Ghz, 128MB Vram, Whines" is to "Macbook Pro".

I still disagree. As I already stated, some items are BTO anyway so they will always have to be explained such as video RAM. Dell has an XPS model that's basically a laptop that unlatches into a desktop...can you tell me which one? If you just said Dell XPS, that is not the POS that I would picture in my mind—I didn't even know it existed until I looked at their site earlier.

Apple does not have a lacking naming scheme. Models that need a large amount of differentiation have different names (which is the only reason they would switch PowerBook to MBP). If you have a need to further differentiate you can tell the person the speed of the processor. That pegs it usually between two models—unlike any Dell model. Their only glaring exemption is between the Al and Ti PowerBook G4, and that's simply a matter of calling the earlier one Ti PowerBook G4. You can't call my old CPiD the plastic Latitude :)

daveL said:
You guys need to get a life. Who gives a crap? Not to mention this entire dialog is completely OT.

You mean we should be more like you and add an even more OT and useless comment? Please do not tell me how to spend my time off. Thanks.

I don't mean to be so rude but I'm seriously tired of people who can't just leave well enough alone. So what if we're talking about this now. Does it really bother you enough to waste your own time replying?

bep207

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2006
if someone has a dell here is what i hear

"what kind of computer do you use"
"oh i use a dell (insert model that i quit caring/listeing about)"
"oh thats too bad"

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
bep207 said:
if someone has a dell here is what i hear

"what kind of computer do you use"
"oh i use a dell (insert model that i quit caring/listeing about)"
"oh thats too bad"

Exactly! Most of them don't even know what model they have!

focal

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2005
macbooks now shipping in 1-2 business days

I think this is a change. Could it mean anything?

BTW, I'm learning a lot here. Thanks to all.:)

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
zync said:
Exactly! Most of them don't even know what model they have!

I think that's a bit unfair... There are different types of users, the ones here are obviously early adopters who really like to have or at least know about the latest and greatest... But if you ask a average Mac(or pc) user on the street what computer they have, they'll say "an apple one of those pretty white ones or one of those cool metal ones"..."so, does it have an intel processor or an IBM?" - "what's a processor?"

It's the same with the pc users, I have a dell, and a mac... And I know exactly what model number it is and what components are inside both my computers... Why, cause I'm a sad early adopter who spends way to much time reading forums and internet sites...

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
generik said:
For the record I have a Macbook ordered which will be sold on eBay within 2 weeks, it is just going to tide me until the next MBP Rev.

How much are you looking for, for the MB? I'm thinking of getting my brother a birthday present... :D

On a different note, I do not think that Apple has a lacking naming scheme in respect to its product line. Although it is the same thing that other PC manufacturers are doing, the slower product cycle and small product lines keep the naming scheme relatively simple.

Varying enclosures make the naming even easier. People who don't use macs can easily learn that the plastic laptops are Macbooks, aluminum laptops are MBPs, little headless desktops are Mac Minis, big headless desktops are Mac Pros, and the other thing is an iMac. Then, each one of those product lines has 3 current products, with a new revision about once a year.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
focal said:
I think this is a change. Could it mean anything?

BTW, I'm learning a lot here. Thanks to all.:)

Not sure. The iMac is also now 1-2 days but the MPB is not. I think it may be increased orders to the edu market since they are both consumer machines. Here at U of I move in day was over the weekend. I'm betting it's just increased orders to Uni studens and the like. I can't see Apple sticking Merom in the MB before the MBP.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
ictiosapiens said:
I think that's a bit unfair... There are different types of users, the ones here are obviously early adopters who really like to have or at least know about the latest and greatest... But if you ask a average Mac(or pc) user on the street what computer they have, they'll say "an apple one of those pretty white ones or one of those cool metal ones"..."so, does it have an intel processor or an IBM?" - "what's a processor?"

It's the same with the pc users, I have a dell, and a mac... And I know exactly what model number it is and what components are inside both my computers... Why, cause I'm a sad early adopter who spends way to much time reading forums and internet sites...

I have no pity for those people. If you buy anything, you should know what it is.

ZoomZoomZoom said:
On a different note, I do not think that Apple has a lacking naming scheme in respect to its product line. Although it is the same thing that other PC manufacturers are doing, the slower product cycle and small product lines keep the naming scheme relatively simple.

Varying enclosures make the naming even easier. People who don't use macs can easily learn that the plastic laptops are Macbooks, aluminum laptops are MBPs, little headless desktops are Mac Minis, big headless desktops are Mac Pros, and the other thing is an iMac. Then, each one of those product lines has 3 current products, with a new revision about once a year.

Exactly!

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
Maybe I am somewhat of a perfectionist, haha

generik said:
I doubt they are QC related, more like stupid design related.
TRUE

I hate the aluminium like the other guy as well, but what's this hogwash about a plastic plate? It has been more than confirmed by many that it is not a plastic plate.

You're wrong! Sorry...:mad:
We actually removed the top enclosure from a PB, and BINGO, it is PLASTIC, and painted, so the paint scratches off if you are not very careful.

Now, having said that, I do not think they did switched that part to aluminum in the MBP. I suspect that it is too expensive to have the perforation for the speakers made in an aluminum top plate...

And no, I do not compare to DELL, but to different manufacturers of laptops. Over the past 15 years IBM and Toshiba stands out with overall reliabilty and quality. Of course they are WINstupid computers.

Re: ASUS, they offer a top of the line video card with 512 MB... Why cant APPLE offer that? Valid question?

Other than that, my decision to wait stands.
CIAO:D

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
DeVizardofOZ said:
You're wrong! Sorry...:mad:
We actually removed the top enclosure from a PB, and BINGO, it is PLASTIC, and painted, so the paint scratches off if you are not very careful.

Now, having said that, I do not think they did switched that part to aluminum in the MBP. I suspect that it is too expensive to have the perforation for the speakers made in an aluminum top plate...

And no, I do not compare to DELL, but to different manufacturers of laptops. Over the past 15 years IBM and Toshiba stands out with overall reliabilty and quality. Of course they are WINstupid computers.

Re: ASUS, they offer a top of the line video card with 512 MB... Why cant APPLE offer that? Valid question?

I agree it sounds like plastic if you tap on it. However, mine has never become scratched in three years of daily use and transcontinental travel.

Regarding the "quality" of Toshiba: my friend had a new Toshiba laptop, a desktop replacement model. His CD burner died after burning three CDs in a row. His 'l' key broke off and would never go back on—we both tried and we're both experienced techs. I don't even remember what else happened with that computer but he badly wanted to keep it because he loved the toggle mouse, but eventually so many things broke on it he had them replace it. They couldn't fix his model so they gave him a new one. Even more things broke on the new model that he—a highly dedicated Toshiba customer for years—decided to switch to HP. As far as I know he hasn't had a single problem with his new laptop, other than hating that stupid non-anti-glare screen.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
DeVizardofOZ said:

Apple likes having a portable computer unlike the 19 inch asus with 2 3.5'' HD...Sorry wrong company, however that would be one hot laptop...

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
bbrosemer said:
Apple likes having a portable computer unlike the 19 inch asus with 2 3.5'' HD...Sorry wrong company, however that would be one hot laptop...

I've been thinking that for a while. No one has mentioned it strangely enough. I was somewhat curious as to whether he would figure it out if no one told him :D

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
It seems that quality has become a problem...

Hey ZYNC

[/QUOTE]Regarding the "quality" of Toshiba: my friend had a new Toshiba laptop, a desktop replacement model. His CD burner died after burning three CDs in a row. His 'l' key broke off and would never go back on—we both tried and we're both experienced techs. I don't even remember what else happened with that computer but he badly wanted to keep it because he loved the toggle mouse, but eventually so many things broke on it he had them replace it. They couldn't fix his model so they gave him a new one. Even more things broke on the new model that he—a highly dedicated Toshiba customer for years—decided to switch to HP. As far as I know he hasn't had a single problem with his new laptop, other than hating that stupid non-anti-glare screen.[/QUOTE]

It seems we have a general quality or QC problem or both... The old stuff was much more build to last. One thing I can say about chinese production quality:
In the beginning they produce good quality, and then they try to use cheaper stuff to make more profit. They all seem to do it.
Being german this attitude is kind of alien to me, as we have a history of top quality.

Dell has melting batteries, others have other problems, some serious, and I believe chinese production style is the key to all these problems, not just for computers... they have no concept of true quality.
Even the MAGLEV in China has problems because the chinese think they can use inferior material for this high tech train, thereby causing technical problems to the point where the train is set on fire...
then blaming it on the foreigners...

Thats finger pointing is standard here. Only themselves they do not allow anyone to critisize them.

:D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
There is no such thing as cheap and good.. there is no such thing as cheap and good.. there is no such thing as cheap and good.

What I hope is Apple or Dell or whoever, gets slap with a huge lawsuit after a laptop explodes on someone's lap. Seriously. That poor someone would be sterilised, but he/she would be a multi-millionaire overnight. Win-win!

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
DeVizardofOZ said:
Hey ZYNC
It seems we have a general quality or QC problem or both... The old stuff was much more build to last. One thing I can say about chinese production quality:
In the beginning they produce good quality, and then they try to use cheaper stuff to make more profit. They all seem to do it.
Being german this attitude is kind of alien to me, as we have a history of top quality.

Dell has melting batteries, others have other problems, some serious, and I believe chinese production style is the key to all these problems, not just for computers... they have no concept of true quality.
Even the MAGLEV in China has problems because the chinese think they can use inferior material for this high tech train, thereby causing technical problems to the point where the train is set on fire...

Thats finger pointing is standard here. Only themselves they do not allow anyone to critisize them.

Good points! That's the reason why he liked Toshiba in the first place. It used to create good quality products. Thanks for your reply!

kim0785b

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2004
London
Meroms?

So after all this fighting, when are they gonna come out? I am betting around the 5th of september, however people saying photokina event in london? Its my birthday on the 21st, when oh when?!?!

elsiedee

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
DeVizardofOZ said:
One thing I can say about chinese production quality:

You have just described the last 5 Chinese buffet restaurants in my city :D

When they first opened, the food was of good quality and they were crowded. As the weeks went by, the quality dropped and so did the number of customers. Quality dropped further and, so far, 3 of them have closed their doors.

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
Yep

elsiedee said:
You have just described the last 5 Chinese buffet restaurants in my city :D

When they first opened, the food was of good quality and they were crowded. As the weeks went by, the quality dropped and so did the number of customers. Quality dropped further and, so far, 3 of them have closed their doors.

That's the way they operate. There are always exceptions of the 'rule':p though...

Just me:D

PizzaDelivery

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2005
Sorry if this has already been asked, but what kind of price are people expecting for a 17" (top end) MacBook Pro with a Merom processor in it?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
PizzaDelivery said:
Sorry if this has already been asked, but what kind of price are people expecting for a 17" (top end) MacBook Pro with a Merom processor in it?

The same as the current . . .

Unless there have been a redesign. Merom are replacing Yonah pricing.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
guzhogi said:
If MBs got a dedicated GPU & backlit keyboard, what would be the difference between that and an MBP other than a superdrive, Firewire 800 and an Express Card slot? IMO, that's not enough of a difference for me.

Well the cost would be = or greater than a MBP at that point and you'd get a MBP for the larger screen (a MB would be more expensive because of smaller formfactor)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
DeVizardofOZ said:
Hey ZYNC

Regarding the "quality" of Toshiba: my friend had a new Toshiba laptop, a desktop replacement model. His CD burner died after burning three CDs in a row. His 'l' key broke off and would never go back on—we both tried and we're both experienced techs. I don't even remember what else happened with that computer but he badly wanted to keep it because he loved the toggle mouse, but eventually so many things broke on it he had them replace it. They couldn't fix his model so they gave him a new one. Even more things broke on the new model that he—a highly dedicated Toshiba customer for years—decided to switch to HP. As far as I know he hasn't had a single problem with his new laptop, other than hating that stupid non-anti-glare screen.

Is there a German computer company?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.