Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
"Fu Chunli was not a big fan of Apple."

She should have been disqualified for that line right there.

Why? The contest rules didn't say anything about being an Apple fan. I haven't exactly been an apple fan before I bought my mac in 2008 which is pretty recent. So if I had won when I wasn't an apple fan, you would disqualify me from the competition? I certainly wouldn't be an apple fan if that happened.

I bet you that she's an Apple fan now.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
"Fu Chunli was not a big fan of Apple."

She should have been disqualified for that line right there.

I think something is lost in translation. "not a big fan" does not mean "She does not like Apple". It just means she has not been buying Apple products for long ( for whatever reason ).

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Chun Li with a spinning bird kick for the win.

It would have been a little more polite for her to pretend to be an apple fan at least. She could have at least blown a little smoke and graciously accepted her prize. "I have always wanted to have apple products my whole life, but I finally just got an opportunity to get my first iPhone about a month ago. I am so excited to see what the app store has to offer." Saying stupid crap like she did is a pretty good way for apple to stop doing this promotion the next time a milestone rolls around.

OMG, she was honest, and said she doesn't worship a company :eek:

Oh the horror

tumblr_lv3r08pUDQ1qejnbg.gif

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
When I read Chunli, I thought of Chumlee. This Chunli is a lot better looking though. :D

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I know this has been said before...but how the hell can you spend $10,000 in the app store? Especially for a newbie.:confused:

People really need to start thinking outside just the "app store" to realize what that card is actually good for.

Trust me, you can spend thousands using that card if you give it a bit more thought. Hint: load up the iTunes store and see all the "categories" listed at the top ;)

Don't forget other things like magazine subscriptions and Mac Apps which all draw from your iTunes credit pool. If you live an all digital lifestyle and buy into the Apple eco system, the bill can quickly stack up high.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
Based on the comments in this thread and the nasty comments re: woman suing Apple, I'm disappointed in the level of immaturity shown. Don't think I'll be donating to MacRumors again. Some of you should be ashamed at how you talk to others. :(

Let me get this straight. You're not going to give money to an organization because its users are immature? How could MacRumors make their users more mature? I suppose that the mods could delete more crude posts, but that may bring down the overall experience for posters.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Let me get this straight. You're not going to give money to an organization because its users are immature? How could MacRumors make their users more mature? I suppose that the mods could delete more crude posts, but that may bring down the overall experience for posters.

I was going to post this too. We shouldn't blame MR's editorial integrity and performance based off the maturity level of it's readers.

It can't be helped that when a company like Apple grows in users, we're bound to take in more kiddies and ******s in the process (not to mention more trolls).

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
you are being sarcastic, right? it's not a coincidence. she deserves to win as much as anyone else--i'm not complaining AT ALL. but no way does apple just "randomly" pick the person who downloaded the X-billionth whatever for these things. someone in the Chinese market was probably deliberately chosen from among possible winners.

This is bull. Apple will be playing by their own rules here. The 25 billionth download will have been selected, and it just so happens to be someone from a country other than the USA. No conspiracy here, move along.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I know this is a cynical and jaded comment but it is just TOO big of a coincidence to me that the market Apple is most interested in growing in (China) just happens to be the one where someone won this contest.

If I had to guess which company Phil Schiller was hoping would have a winner I would guess China. This makes me fear that maybe it was rigged or something. I hope they didn't ask that unethically, and I have no proof or reason to doubt them but like i said in the first line, I'm obviously too cynical and jaded.

Commence downvotes.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Or perhaps they don't want to contribute to a site in which users are disrespectful. No comments were made towards the operators and moderators. From what I've read, I don't blame him.

moshen

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2005
There are now more new iOS activations per day in China than now in the US..

"China Now Leads the World in New iOS and Android Device Activations"
http://blog.flurry.com/bid/83261/China-Now-Leads-the-World-in-New-iOS-and-Android-Device-Activations

I know this is a cynical and jaded comment but it is just TOO big of a coincidence to me that the market Apple is most interested in growing in (China) just happens to be the one where someone won this contest.

If I had to guess which company Phil Schiller was hoping would have a winner I would guess China. This makes me fear that maybe it was rigged or something. I hope they didn't ask that unethically, and I have no proof or reason to doubt them but like i said in the first line, I'm obviously too cynical and jaded.

Commence downvotes.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If she's not a big Apple fan she may wish she hadn't won before long... what are the income tax laws in China? In the US you'd have to pay thousands of dollars due to your "winnings"

Actually in the US you don't always have to pay a dime. It depends on how the winnings are paid out and in some contests the prize is actually increased so that what they name as the prize is after taxes.

it's possible that they do this as an iTunes gift card and not just an Apple one because there's no tax requirement by the winner. It's also possible that the amount is such that even if there is a tax requirement the amount falls under the amount that triggers such taxes. in the US, for example, I can give you $10k in cash as a gift and you don't have to pay taxes on it. It's possible that that stands even if a company is the one giving the gift.

----------

I don't know what I would do with a $10,000 itunes gift card. I mean that's a huge amount of money for music, videos and apps.

Can she use it to buy apple hardware???

No, it's an iTunes gift card. And what she can do with it is never have to pay for anything out of her pocket, buy apps etc as gifts for friends and family and so on.

Apple doesn't have to do any of this. It's rather nasty that folks are bitching and moaning because they are doing something but not the way YOU think it should be. Talk about First World Entitlement.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
Or perhaps they don't want to contribute to a site in which users are disrespectful. No comments were made towards the operators and moderators. From what I've read, I don't blame him.

I respect everybody to my fullest extent who contributes to MacRumors. I'm sure this site wouldn't be where it is without its donators.

I'm just not seeing how it's MacRumors' fault that some of its users are disrespectful. I do see how a contributor could be upset that some of the users don't realize the importance of contributors, but I don't see the connection of how MacRumors, the organization you would be donating money to, is to blame for disrespectful users.

Kerber0s34

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
Kelowna, BC
She doesn't look very excited for winning $10,000 in free use of the itunes store :confused:

I think its a cultural thing. My company gave away a car, and the winner was a Chinese lady who barely cracked a smile when her name was drawn. in the picture we took for promos, she looks more like her car had just been totaled.

Grudge

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
Germany
...but can she use that card to purchase a new iPad or Macbook Pro? If not, what use is $10,000?

I think the intention is to grant a lifetime flatrate and 10,000 is just a symbolic number. Maybe Apple limited it to $10,000 to avoid abusement. Would be too easy to code something like a nonsense "hello world" app and get rich with expensive in-app purchases at the expense of Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.