Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
It sure seems like stores overseas are nicer. In my metro area all but one of the stores are in shopping malls and look pretty boring.
The rest of the world has some boring ones too, here in the UK we have some really boring ones. The Birmingham store has loads of problems it is way too small, it is almost hidden in the Bullring and it is boring, and why has Birmingham only one store (Solihull doesn't count!), The Bristol store is boring and the Genius Bar is disorganised (where do you check in, where do you wait?). Also boring are Cribbs Causeway, Bath....

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
It sure seems like stores overseas are nicer. In my metro area all but one of the stores are in shopping malls and look pretty boring.
Part of that is that Macrumors will only report on flagship openings from outside the US. You won't get an article if there is a new Apple Store opening in a mall in Europe. And when Apple opens the first store in a given country, they'll likely put more effort into to bank on the publicity.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Having never seen any Apple Watches, we wanted to take a look as my wife's interested to get one and we were impressed - much nicer that I imagined they would be; wifey wants the new rose Sport, I really liked the black Watch. Bizarrely, they didn't have any for sale, only display/demo; no stock and no launch date. Personally I find that really weird - they're not selling so well, why not make them available in more countries sooner?

Just curious... Why do you feel that the Apple Watch isn't selling well?

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Part of that is that Macrumors will only report on flagship openings from outside the US. You won't get an article if there is a new Apple Store opening in a mall in Europe. And when Apple opens the first store in a given country, they'll likely put more effort into to bank on the publicity.
We try to cover any new Apple Store opening regardless of location or appearance. For anyone reading this, you can let us know at tips@macrumors.com if you ever come across a new or planned store.

Reactions: Caliber26

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
It all seems so very gay ! (in the not heterosexual sense) (I thought I would explain in case some fans "reimagined" it another way.) You also understand of course that we watch these antics aghast at your "willing suspension of disbelief".

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I was wondering about that. It seems like Ive is stepping back more and more lately. He seems to have turned over day-to-day operations to his team. Maybe this is a sign of a new direction for Apple design.
I think Marc Newson was "hired" because his name was going to show up on Apple Watch patents. I don't know how much time he spends in Cupertino but he wasn't at the Apple events in March or September and he wasn't at WWDC. If Ive is stepping back it's interesting then that he was the sole narrator for the MacBook, Apple Pencil, iPad Pro and 3D Touch product intro videos (and was also interviewed by Bloomerg with Federighi and Schiller about how 3D Touch was developed).

Jay43

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
The level of service although better than in many other store in Belgium it is still not equivalent to a store in the US.

I had an appointment at the genius bar yesterday to get the battery of my mac replaced and they do not have any space parts in stock and the genius told me that they do not expect to have any before 2 or 3 months at least. Of course that was not mentioned anywhere before getting the appointment.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Anyway, we enjoyed the experience and the staff were really friendly - which makes a really nice change from the norm in Belgium.

Customer service in Belgium in general is horrible. So, to improve on that in the Apple Store will not be that difficult. Hopefully it will inspire other chains to work on that as well.

KidAKidB

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2014
Toronto
I feel like Apple Stores are the only stores that get lines for their openings.
I don't know, when H&M opened their first store in Toronto years ago, there were HUGE lineups for it. I'm not much of a shopper so have no idea about others. I just remember walking by and seeing a lineup for H&M.

92P92

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
Belgium
The level of service although better than in many other store in Belgium it is still not equivalent to a store in the US.

I had an appointment at the genius bar yesterday to get the battery of my mac replaced and they do not have any space parts in stock and the genius told me that they do not expect to have any before 2 or 3 months at least. Of course that was not mentioned anywhere before getting the appointment.

Service in Belgium is indeed horrible. My sister broke the screen of her iPhone 6 just a month after launch. We went to the reseller to check how much a repair would cost. The guy told us it would be 370 euros (equals 418 USD). The resellers try to rip off people. I hope service and prices will be better in the Apple store

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
Customer service in Belgium in general is horrible. So, to improve on that in the Apple Store will not be that difficult. Hopefully it will inspire other chains to work on that as well.

We have this saying: "when it rains in Paris it drips in Brussels". And of all the countries I've been to, customer service in France, especially Paris is the worst.

Although I'm no fan of the "OMG how are you, you are my special customer" kinda attitude in America either...

Reactions: Lymf

JohnnyricoMC

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
Leuven
Service in Belgium is indeed horrible. My sister broke the screen of her iPhone 6 just a month after launch. We went to the reseller to check how much a repair would cost. The guy told us it would be 370 euros (equals 418 USD). The resellers try to rip off people. I hope service and prices will be better in the Apple store
9/10 times the problem lies with a company called "dynafix". Most smartphone manufacturers outsource their repairs & aftersales service in Belgium to this company. They're a bunch of slippery toads who try to get out of honoring warranty coverage all the time.

That broken screen is a bummer though, sure you can get replacement parts cheaper off ebay, but they wouldn't be certified and you wouldn't be eligible for warranty after the repair.

On the subject of the store: after just one day the front door has already been shattered. Stay classy Brussels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.