Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
It's generally a bad idea to point out the impossibility of something that has ALREADY HAPPENED...
Just saying.

you dont know what happened. you dont know the requirements or how strict apple has said they will be as no such details have been announced yet. in fact, quite the opposite. Apple has already said that it will work with a wide array of screen sized, resolutions, touch panels and the like. Go read the primary post on the other Carplay thread where they actually introduce it.

for all you know, the requirements are "touchscreen, USB input and QNX"

It was a conversation about speculation what the requirements are that you decided to get rude and snippy with,

just saying :rolleyes:

you, believed that Apple would follow their previous rigidity in 3rd party vendor hardware requirements with Car manufacturers.

I replied, that I think that Apple doesn't have enough clout with the Car manufacturers to do that, and have likely had to settle for being able to use a far wider range of platforms to run on than they'd have liked.

so, would oyu like to try your post again?

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
hmmm..... wonder if I should quote all those people stating 'Blackberry are rubbish' etc from the other thread.......

But no doubt they will be on here stating the same thing :rolleyes:

But good to see Apple won't be allowed to force a walled garden approach on cars.

TonyYYZ

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2014
Toronto, Canada
What good are android users if they're not willing to pay for anything!

That's just a crazy stereotype. Don't stoop to the label of an uninformed iSheep user, you can be so much better than that!

Android users come in all shapes and forms. There are entry level devices and premium level devices with the users to match each category.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This seems very significant. Can anyone think of an iOS peripheral that allows the functions of the iPhone to be displayed and controlled on a touchscreen that wasn't built by Apple? I'm referring to the ability to use an iPhone as a remote to control another iPhone or iPad.

A Tom Tom 930 can display and control all the audio functions on an ipod or iphone from the touchscreen.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
why do you thing Apple renamed this to "CarPlay". ?

This sounds more like "Air-play" in in music mostly, and nothing else... (which in all effect it limited in the car if you can't use it for anything else)

Only people who you it or read on it will see "oh ya ...navigation too and voice etc.." allot more under the hood..

Sorry Apple. but 'iOS in the car' was a far better name, as it shows the entire OS, not just bring a "play only" marketing type of thing, which it's clearly not.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
A Tom Tom 930 can display and control all the audio functions on an ipod or iphone from the touchscreen.

Hmmm. Yes it does that. I was thinking more of replicating the interface of iOS. The 930 just uses a bluetooth to pair with a smart phone to control music, calls, but not really integrating with it.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I hope people realize CarPlay is an API provided by Apple. They don't stream any video to the car itself. The iPhone serves apps that implement the CarPlay API on the iPhone to the QNX system that just displays the data associated to it depending on the data type. These data types have UI specifications provide by Apple that the car manufacturers must uphold to be CarPlay Certified.

So technical the car manufactures may develop or use any OS as long as they can work with the data that is being served by the iPhone and display it according to manufacturers.

Lastly, I'm really unimpressed. All I want is a spot to place my iPhone in landscape mode on the dash and have a button on the steering wheel that I could press to speak any Siri command and the iPhone would do it. :/

I don't want more crappy hardware that drives up the prices on the cars.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Any chance that we will be able to integrate this into a car that doesn't have it from the factory. I would love to be able to do that.
You can, I found this for Toyota/Lexus:

http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php

There may be other products out there. I just don't want to install after market stuff specially if it's Made in China and it's cheaply made junk. I know nothing about the above product but it looks kinda cool. Installation doesn't look too hard but you still need to stick boxes and wires somewhere which I'm not a big fan of on a higher end type car.

-Mike

----------

This is actually fantastic news.

it means that existing QNX based car systems MIGHT be capable of having software update to bring CarPlay to existing cars, rather than be exclusive for new models...

However, it is the car industry. I'm doubtful that'll happen, even if technologically feasible.

Probably won't happen. Unfortunately car manufactures even the high end ones you can't upgrade anything as far as software/firmware to add new features which I hope will change one day because it really sucks. What are we supposed to do if we want this Apple CarPlay all go out and buy new cars? WTF.....

-Mike

----------

Wonder if this has anything to do with why Ford decided to ditch Microsoft Sync in favor of QNX very recently for future MyFordTouch updates.
Maybe because Microsoft sucks and all they come up with these days is crap?

-Mike

dss10

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Pony tail and suit, check.
Gold iPhone, check.
Mercedes Benz, check.
Jerks around Michelle Schmitz, check.

Is this guy not a jerk?

devfarce

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
I hope people realize CarPlay is an API provided by Apple. They don't stream any video to the car itself. The iPhone serves apps that implement the CarPlay API on the iPhone to the QNX system that just displays the data associated to it depending on the data type. These data types have UI specifications provide by Apple that the car manufacturers must uphold to be CarPlay Certified.

So technical the car manufactures may develop or use any OS as long as they can work with the data that is being served by the iPhone and display it according to manufacturers.

Lastly, I'm really unimpressed. All I want is a spot to place my iPhone in landscape mode on the dash and have a button on the steering wheel that I could press to speak any Siri command and the iPhone would do it. :/

I don't want more crappy hardware that drives up the prices on the cars.

I can say definitively that CarPlay is more than a remote rendering target like an Xserver or just an API where the car does the lifting. Otherwise it wouldn't work in Xcode like it does, perhaps you've seen the images and videos. While that was an alpha/beta build it was rendered on the phone and sent to an external virtual monitor.

I strongly suspect that CarPlay itself is rather easy to implement as it consists of only a few requirements. One is a low latency H.264 decoder to receive and display the video stream, a USB touchscreen/hardware button interface with the iPhone using USB OTG for connection as well as USB audio sink hardware for audio, handsfree and Siri integration. Lightning enabled iPhones already use a H.264 AirPlay implementation for the HDMI out adapter now so this certainly builds on the existing technology. You can generally assume that cars never receive SW updates so building and debugging a production rendering environment would be much more difficult that implementing a very stable H.264 based system that can be made to be stable from the get-go and allowing the phone to worry about updates. This also is better from a iPhone upgrade path and could be possible for other handsets to integrate as these would all be universal standards that could be picked up by anyone. CarPlay is simply a certification for compatibility and UX with iPhone.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Don't Get CarPlay

Does anyone else not get what CarPlay is?

Disclaimer: Neither my car nor phone are smart. I do own an iOS 6, 4th generation iPod touch, but my phone is "dumb." And my car (or rather the one I am driven in), has a CD player, but no Bluetooth, GPS, etc.

But from what I've seen cars have long had interoperability with all types of cell phones. I drove in a rich friend's Mercedes M-Class back in the late 1990s. She was listening to music and when a call came in, the music faded out, she took the call over the speakers, and she pressed a button again on the steering wheel to hang up and go back to her music. And haven't cars had iPhone ports for a long time where you can pick your music from the iPhone but also control it from the car's buttons?

Is the only difference that Apple has made the interface for a touchscreen? And if so, why is that a huge deal? Just because they're the iOS 7 design icons?

badNameErr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
Above ground.
Sure. But Apple is about integrating hardware and software, with CarPlay, Apple doesn't control anything.

CarPlay runs ON the iPhone. Not on the embedded OS in the car. CarPlay streams video data which is displayed by the car. The car sends user event data back to the iPhone. The car is just like an external display. It's like AirPlay. Get it?

Your iPhone is the brains of CarPlay.

Em8ch

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
Sweden
Does anyone else not get what CarPlay is?

Disclaimer: Neither my car nor phone are smart. I do own an iOS 6, 4th generation iPod touch, but my phone is "dumb." And my car (or rather the one I am driven in), has a CD player, but no Bluetooth, GPS, etc.

But from what I've seen cars have long had interoperability with all types of cell phones. I drove in a rich friend's Mercedes M-Class back in the late 1990s. She was listening to music and when a call came in, the music faded out, she took the call over the speakers, and she pressed a button again on the steering wheel to hang up and go back to her music. And haven't cars had iPhone ports for a long time where you can pick your music from the iPhone but also control it from the car's buttons?

Is the only difference that Apple has made the interface for a touchscreen? And if so, why is that a huge deal? Just because they're the iOS 7 design icons?

I guess you could say that CarPlay is one or more steps along the same evolutionary route. See it as iPod Out on steroids. The car provides capabilities such as a way to display graphics and play audio from the phone and a way to send events (touch events, knob and button presses, etc.) and data (audio, for Siri) to the phone. The phone does the heavy lifting and the car merely acts as sensors and actuators. This is basically the same as it was before.

However, with CarPlay, Apple takes one step further and actually takes over part of the user interface. This in turn provides Apple with more control in terms of integration of services provided by the phone, such as navigation, communication, entertainment.

What the car manufacturers actually do is release a bit of their control of the user interface (which is something that is difficult for many of them, I'm sure), and give this control to Apple. How that unfolds can be interesting in itself...

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Apple's CarPlay Works Alongside BlackBerry's QNX Car Platform

CarPlay runs ON the iPhone. Not on the embedded OS in the car. CarPlay streams video data which is displayed by the car. The car sends user event data back to the iPhone. The car is just like an external display. It's like AirPlay. Get it?

Your iPhone is the brains of CarPlay.

Exactly. :)
Everything is done on the device.
su4apu9e.jpg

I played with it this morning, the resistive touchscreen is annoying, but let's face it the sound of the v12 is the real draw.

Last edited:

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
This FINALLY makes sense to me. Ford was rumored to start using BlackBerry OS for their multimedia systems in their cars, replacing the Microsoft-powered (and panned) solution.

BlackBerry --> QNX --> Connectivity to CarPlay <-- Ford is one of the partners with CarPlay.

I'm a little slow... ;)

I played with it this morning, the resistive touchscreen is annoying, but let's face it the sound of the v12 is the real draw.
I don't know... I kinda like the silence of my electric car.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
This FINALLY makes sense to me. Ford was rumored to start using BlackBerry OS for their multimedia systems in their cars, replacing the Microsoft-powered (and panned) solution.

BlackBerry --> QNX --> Connectivity to CarPlay <-- Ford is one of the partners with CarPlay.

I'm a little slow... ;)

I don't know... I kinda like the silence of my electric car.

To each their own ;), I guess. For me nothing beets the roar of a naturally aspirated V12, or a twin turbo engine with a set of straight pipes.

Ford could go android like Volvo (which used to be part of Fords PAG back in the day) implantation bypassing qnx entirely.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Hmmm. Yes it does that. I was thinking more of replicating the interface of iOS. The 930 just uses a bluetooth to pair with a smart phone to control music, calls, but not really integrating with it.

My TT 930 Plugs right into the ipod or Iphone "Pre-Lightning" with a special cable not Bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.