Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Can Apple provide an ETA instead of "Soon"

We are now at Tuesday from when they Posted "Soon" Sunday night.

Not my definition of soon.

Very disappointing in their ability to handle a crisis.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

The very best thing they can do in this situation is to shut it down and fix the problem, which is exactly what they're doing.

What are you expecting, that they pull things out of thin air and have it fixed within seconds? Lower your expectation, it's not going to be fixed for several more days, this is not how it works.

In the IT world with dealing with situations like this, soon in this context means several days if not weeks.

They can't give an ETA because it's not possible to know until it is done.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008

I think they are completely rewriting the developer portal from the ground up so "soon" in this case is "when the website is working, meets standards within the confines of our QA staff and is secure". So....when it's done.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
The very best thing they can do in this situation is to shut it down and fix the problem, which is exactly what they're doing.

What are you expecting, that they pull things out of thin air and have it fixed within seconds? Lower your expectation, it's not going to be fixed for several more days, this is not how it works.

In the IT world with dealing with situations like this, soon in this context means several days if not weeks.

They can't give an ETA because it's not possible to know until it is done.

I am in the IT world and am quite familiar with large organizations and DR scenarios and efforts.

Let's just say that this time period is not acceptable where I and many of my friends work in IT. I guess we are too sophisticated :)

I fully realize time, but I also know you have to set expectations AND COMMUNICATE.

Tell me a goal. Tell me we are shooting for Friday so I as a business consumer of this site can make my own decisions on what I need to do.

These guys are acting like amateur hacks IMO.

I am not impressed at all the way they are handling the situation. I am paying for a service that is not being delivered.

Last edited:

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I am in the IT world and am quite familiar with large organizations and DR scenarios and efforts.

Let's just say that this time period is not acceptable where I and many of my friends work in IT. I guess we are to sophisticated :)

I fully realize time, but I also know you have to set expectations AND COMMUNICATE.

Tell me a goal. Tell me we are shooting for Friday so I as a business consumer of this site can make my own decisions on what I need to do.

I am not impressed at all the way they are handling the situations. I am paying for a service that is not being delivered.

I agree. I am also an IT professional and this kind of failure is not acceptable.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
My membership program was set to renew during this period, and we did nothing due to apple saying its fine because the membership was extended for a week due to the outage.

We just found out that this is not true and our apps have been taken down on the store...we are currently earning no revenue and there is no way to renew the membership.

This is a huge problem and Im freaking out.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My membership program was set to renew during this period, and we did nothing due to apple saying its fine because the membership was extended for a week due to the outage.

We just found out that this is not true and our apps have been taken down on the store...we are currently earning no revenue and there is no way to renew the membership.

This is a huge problem and Im freaking out.
Have you contacted Apple about it to figure out and resolve this particular issue?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

Let's just say that this time period is not acceptable where I and many of my friends work in IT. I guess we are too sophisticated :)

I am not impressed at all the way they are handling the situation. I am paying for a service that is not being delivered.

So, email them as they requested you to do: "If you have any other concerns about your account, please contact us."

I don't understand your issues. You want Apple to lie to the entire public and say "We plan to have this back up by Friday" with no evidence to back it up? That's even more unacceptable and illegal.

There's nothing for them to communicate more than what they've already said. They're working on it, they explained what happened and what's at risk and said it's going to be back soon.

I've worked and dealt with companies who's been hacked in the past. It is NEVER simple. There are also legal repercussions to what you say to the public, so it is always best to inform folks what generally happened and then provide details later on.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
So, email them as they requested you to do: "If you have any other concerns about your account, please contact us."

I don't understand your issues. You want Apple to lie to the entire public and say "We plan to have this back up by Friday" with no evidence to back it up? That's even more unacceptable and illegal.

There's nothing for them to communicate more than what they've already said. They're working on it, they explained what happened and what's at risk and said it's going to be back soon.

I've worked and dealt with companies who's been hacked in the past. It is NEVER simple. There are also legal repercussions to what you say to the public, so it is always best to inform folks what generally happened and then provide details later on.

'Friday' was just an example. Not a literal date.

I want them to share their Goal date, whatever that is. That let's me decide how to proceed in my business. If their Goal is 1 month out, that tells me something different than a few more days. I guarantee you they have an internal goal date to be live again. This date will have value.

That email is for account issues, I do not have account issues other than the obvious of not getting in.

I have no clue why people are giving the beloved Apple a pass on this.

Even when Sony was hacked and was down a long time, I do believe they stated goals of when they were "trying" to restore service.

Again, in this day and age of cloud providers and services this is absolutely the worst way you can treat paying customer.

I also realize they are the big dog and control a lot, but events like this begin to knock you down.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I doubt the website people are the same group responsible for working on the operating systems.

Yeah, but how many developers (both internal and external) rely on the contents of the portal? I've been trying to visit to check out various change logs, but I can't because the portal is down, for example.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, but how many developers (both internal and external) rely on the contents of the portal? I've been trying to visit to check out various change logs, but I can't because the portal is down, for example.

Well fortunately the Developer Library is still up. I'm sure the OS developers have their own resources.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I want them to share their Goal date, whatever that is. That let's me decide how to proceed in my business. If their Goal is 1 month out, that tells me something different than a few more days. I guarantee you they have an internal goal date to be live again. This date will have value.

That email is for account issues, I do not have account issues other than the obvious of not getting in.

Even when Sony was hacked and was down a long time, I do believe they stated goals of when they were "trying" to restore service.

Again, in this day and age of cloud providers and services this is absolutely the worst way you can treat paying customer.

I also realize they are the big dog and control a lot, but events like this begin to knock you down.
Pretty sure the "internal goal date" is essentially "as soon as possible", which is pretty much what they have shared when they said they expect to bring it all back "soon".

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Agreed. This is taking entirely too long without any idea on when the dev site will be back up. I am surprised by the silence from Apple on this outagae. At least give the developers some clue as to when we can expect.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Agreed. This is taking entirely too long without any idea on when the dev site will be back up. I am surprised by the silence from Apple on this outagae. At least give the developers some clue as to when we can expect.
Not sure they can provide some sort of a timeframe, at least not until they are close to getting it resolved, and even then they might not want to as things might get delayed last minute due to something (perhaps another issue or something of that sort), in which case it would seem like they are giving false information.

That said, they should provide an update at some point (sooner than later) at least saying that the outage is taking longer than they would like, they are aware of the difficulties it's causing for some, and they are still working hard on getting it resolved as soon as they can. It doesn't exactly provide any actual useful information I guess, but simply from PR point of view, it can't hurt, and probably will help to some degree in one way or another at least on a subjective level.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Not sure they can provide some sort of a timeframe, at least not until they are close to getting it resolved, and even then they might not want to as things might get delayed last minute due to something (perhaps another issue or something of that sort), in which case it would seem like they are giving false information.

That said, they should provide an update at some point (sooner than later) at least saying that the outage is taking longer than they would like, they are aware of the difficulties it's causing for some, and they are still working hard on getting it resolved as soon as they can. It doesn't exactly provide any actual useful information I guess, but simply from PR point of view, it can't hurt, and probably will help to some degree in one way or another at least on a subjective level.

Honestly if they can't provide a time frame then they should be fired. You have to be able to estimate times for things that you have never done before, it's part of the business. If you can't do it then you are not fit to do the job. It doesn't mean you have to be 100% accurate, but "when it's done" is not good enough.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Honestly if they can't provide a time frame then they should be fired. You have to be able to estimate times for things that you have never done before, it's part of the business. If you can't do it then you are not fit to do the job. It doesn't mean you have to be 100% accurate, but "when it's done" is not good enough.
Even if they have an internal estimate it's not a good idea to share it with anyone on the outside, if not simply because it's an estimate.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Anyone know if you can still get to the expedited review request form? I've tried a few ways but keep getting errors.

Last edited:

delawn

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
What if...the delay provides extra time for fixing iOS 7 bugs and they can now claim being late was caused by the devloper portal hack. Just buys them time.

I know... crazy conspiracy theory.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What if...the delay provides extra time for fixing iOS 7 bugs and they can now claim being late was caused by the devloper portal hack. Just buys them time.

I know... crazy conspiracy theory.
iOS 7 is still in beta so they already have the time to fix the bugs.

longpath

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Has anyone gotten any word or ETA on the site returning to service? I am a neophyte, and not being able to access the documentation is killing my learning curve.

koen

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2003
A lot of the documentation can be accessed offline within Xcode, so that should keep you going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.