Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now deciding on the design of its first foldable device as work on the project ramps up, DigiTimes reports.

FoldPad-Redux-24-Magenta-and-Blue.jpg

Citing Taiwanese supply chain sources in a paywalled report, DigiTimes claims that Apple has been developing its first foldable product for at least five years. Corroborating previous rumors, the publication claims that the foldable is set to be a "larger device" rather than an iPhone, instead embodying a tablet or notebook. Design efforts on the device are now said to be converging ahead of plans for mass production.

Since hinge mechanisms for foldable devices have become increasingly advanced in recent years, the main problem for Apple's foldable is said to be developing a panel that meets its quality demands. The report adds that Apple's rumored suspension of Samsung foldable display panel development and internal reorganization to move Vision Pro engineers to the foldable project are not contradictory moves, since the company is overwhelmingly prioritizing quality.

The report clarified that Apple has not suspended work on foldable devices, with the company allegedly now possessing multiple departments responsible for different foldable product lines. Apple's first foldable device will not launch until 2025 at the earliest.

Article Link: Apple's First Foldable Device Won't Be an iPhone, Say Supply Chain Sources

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If notebook, IMO it must have traditional keys for touch typing. If one can't feel the keys, they can't touch type very effectively. I'm getting Flashbacks to the Atari 400...

Atari400.jpeg

If tablet, great... give me a pocketable iPad Mini (when folded). The one great benefit (again IMO) of iPhone over cellular iPad Mini doubling as phone (with Voip app and buds) is pocket-ability. I'd be quick to buy a cellular iPad Mini Fold.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
If notebook, IMO it must have traditional keys for touch typing.

If tablet, great... give me a pocketable iPad Mini (when folded). The one great benefit (again IMO) of iPhone over cellular iPad Mini doubling as phone (with Voip app and buds) and pocket-ability. I'd be quick to buy a cellular iPad Mini Fold.
The other day I saw a laptop with a regular keyboard and foldable displays; when it's close, it works like a tablet, but when you open and unfold it becomes a laptop with an additional display on top.

EDIT: Found it:

Lenovo Yoga Book 9i

Too bad it only runs Windows... what a waste.

It's called Yoga, and actually it's two displays with a folio-type keyboard, and a case that can 'bend' in different shapes... very odd. I was expecting better.
We'll need to wait and see what Apple will bring to the table.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is probably the device that was rumored to start out at $1800-2000 or whatever and not the OLED iPad Pro, which was more recently rumored to be more like around $150-200 more expensive than current models.

I would avoid buying the first generation of this thing until we can be certain the folding mechanism and display are put through their paces, unless a buyer just has money to blow. Furthermore, an iPad that can move into a laptop form factor better be able to run some form of macOS, even if it's a "Lite" version. As for the keyboard, trying to touch type on a virtual keyboard to use it like a laptop sounds very much less than ideal. For that price range, I would rather go for a 14" MBP. Especially if this thing doesn't have a "Pro" chip variant.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
If notebook, IMO it must have traditional keys for touch typing. If one can't feel the keys, they can't touch type very effectively. I'm getting Flashbacks to the Atari 400...

If tablet, great... give me a pocketable iPad Mini (when folded). The one great benefit (again IMO) of iPhone over cellular iPad Mini doubling as phone (with Voip app and buds) is pocket-ability. I'd be quick to buy a cellular iPad Mini Fold.
That's why I waited and got the 800 and later the 130XE...

Reactions: cjkastoun

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Comments from people who have no clue about current foldables and will say they do not need one coming in 3...

I actually do want a foldable PHONE since 70% of the time I am fine with the current size but for media consumption it would be great to fold it out. Starting with a tablet goes in the wrong direction in my opinion. A tablet isn’t something I expect to carry in my pants pockets and I never thought „damn! I wish that tablet was smaller!“ like ??? That’s why I got a tablet no?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The other day I saw a laptop with a regular keyboard and foldable displays; when it's close, it works like a tablet, but when you open and unfold it becomes a laptop with an additional display on top.

EDIT: Found it:

Lenovo Yoga Book 9i

Too bad it only runs Windows... what a waste.

It's called Yoga, and actually it's two displays with a folio-type keyboard, and a case that can 'bend' in different shapes... very odd. I was expecting better.
We'll need to wait and see what Apple will bring to the table.

Yes, there's several variations of that with screens folding UP like that one and OUT (left & right) too...

full

...all in the ongoing pursuit of finding ways to bring more screen R.E. to "mobile" devices. That's what behind this fold & roll push by many: how to combine bigger screens with mobile tech.

This is really where the Vpro concept fits in nicely. Instead of added weight and balancing issues, virtualize any-size screens. Then, we don't need a 50" traditional laptop or a 100" laptop or a 30" Tablet, etc. One device can bring any size of screen to computers, tablets and phones... maybe even Watch.

What I would like to see is the lidless laptop product- a modern take on Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 to pair with Vpro for the "lid" portion. People already make these from existing MBs by basically removing the lids and it WORKS...

Put that skinny slab plus a Vpro in a lean-sized bag for a new kind of laptop concept with any-size screen.

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Ok so the industry is selling us on a concept that they moved away from two decades ago when every phone was foldable. Foldable phones were great but not because they folded. They were great because you could chuck them against the wall and they'd survive. They had battery life that was measured in weeks depending on your battery size.

So today's Tech Genius Trillionaire companies want to bring back folding device that will be missing battery life that lasts over a week and the durability. So they're hyping the least desired feature of those yesteryear phones.

I'm enjoying watching Tech companies flail at finding the next big thing. Until then I'll watch in amusement how they throw every lukewarm technology up against the wall and hope something sticks.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
a foldable notebook? now that would be innovative 🤯
I would love a MBP with a detachable keyboard in the vein of the Asus ZenFold.
ASUS-Zenbook-17-Fold-OLED-1.jpg

I want a 12" size laptop with a 17" screen. A detachable keyboard mean no more ergonomic destroying contortions to use. To be specific, it has to be a Macbook, not an iPad. I love OSX, but hate iOS.

and 1989 others

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2016
I though the foldable device phase of humanity was over.

Samsung did it, the devices were thick AF and then screen got that weird bubble thing on the crease after a while.

Reactions: Huck

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Why would anyone pay for access to a Digitimes Paywalled “report?”

dead.cell

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2014
Amerika
I don't expect Apple to come up with one bendable display, but instead 2 displays with a very fine protective frame.
That crease in the middle is unavoidable, besides the fact that unless it's fully open, it distorts and it's very odd to touch.
And as a customer, I'd prefer that anyhow. Surface Duo for example had a good premise, just poor hardware and software to really make it work. You'd think a trillion dollar company could figure it out but nope.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
Let their first crack at foldable screen be an iPad. Not like they're doing much on that front after putting M series chips in there.

Would be cool for the next model of iPad mini to be foldable to truly make it "mini". ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.