Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nclaire44

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2023
It makes sense for an iPad.

• Folded = Tablet mode.
  • Unfold as on the article picture = "ultraportable laptop mode"
  • Unfold in portrait mode + attach some magnetic full size keyboard + trackpad = big size screen (a bonus would be: use macOS in this mode).

I really believe this is an interesting future where MacBooks would be only for graphic designers and people who need maximum power.

Reactions: Seanm87

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Foldable iPad... that would be interesting to start with rather than the iPhone. Probably the mini or the iPad Fold? Could help spur extra sales initially, but if it's still the same iPad with a fold I doubt it would continue to press forward. Wait and see if anything materializes from this rumor.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
The only way I can see this really becoming a "thing" is if it was an iPad. I've not seen to many foldables out in the wild personally, and I've messed around with all of them at Best Buy and whatnot. I still don't fully get the appeal of them other than it's something neat, but durability is just a massive factor so hopefully they've taken this long to address those sorts of issues but we will see. If their most recent product debut has proven anything, Apple can only do so much within the bounds of physics and current tech and I don't see any current tech that makes these things much more durable than when they first were released.

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
Apple will be like you’ve seen a screen fold once… we folded it twice!

Introducing iPad Ultra, and it unfolds into a 48” iPad.

Reactions: Thomas Davie

kahwatter

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020

Apple is now deciding on the design of its first foldable device as work on the project ramps up, DigiTimes reports.

FoldPad-Redux-24-Magenta-and-Blue.jpg

Citing Taiwanese supply chain sources in a paywalled report, DigiTimes claims that Apple has been developing its first foldable product for at least five years. Corroborating previous rumors, the publication claims that the foldable is set to be a "larger device" rather than an iPhone, instead embodying a tablet or notebook. Design efforts on the device are now said to be converging ahead of plans for mass production.

Since hinge mechanisms for foldable devices have become increasingly advanced in recent years, the main problem for Apple's foldable is said to be developing a panel that meets its quality demands. The report adds that Apple's rumored suspension of Samsung foldable display panel development and internal reorganization to move Vision Pro engineers to the foldable project are not contradictory moves, since the company is overwhelmingly prioritizing quality.

The report clarified that Apple has not suspended work on foldable devices, with the company allegedly now possessing multiple departments responsible for different foldable product lines. Apple's first foldable device will not launch until 2025 at the earliest.

Article Link: Apple's First Foldable Device Won't Be an iPhone, Say Supply Chain Sources
Hi Apple. We don’t want this.

Reactions: gleepskip

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I think they mean foldable-display devices. Apple already has foldable devices. ;)

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Is Apple looking to become the company known for solutions in search of a problem? (see AVP)

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London

Apple is now deciding on the design of its first foldable device as work on the project ramps up, DigiTimes reports.

FoldPad-Redux-24-Magenta-and-Blue.jpg

Citing Taiwanese supply chain sources in a paywalled report, DigiTimes claims that Apple has been developing its first foldable product for at least five years. Corroborating previous rumors, the publication claims that the foldable is set to be a "larger device" rather than an iPhone, instead embodying a tablet or notebook. Design efforts on the device are now said to be converging ahead of plans for mass production.

Since hinge mechanisms for foldable devices have become increasingly advanced in recent years, the main problem for Apple's foldable is said to be developing a panel that meets its quality demands. The report adds that Apple's rumored suspension of Samsung foldable display panel development and internal reorganization to move Vision Pro engineers to the foldable project are not contradictory moves, since the company is overwhelmingly prioritizing quality.

The report clarified that Apple has not suspended work on foldable devices, with the company allegedly now possessing multiple departments responsible for different foldable product lines. Apple's first foldable device will not launch until 2025 at the earliest.

Article Link: Apple's First Foldable Device Won't Be an iPhone, Say Supply Chain Sources
If Digitimes says it will not be a foldable iPhone but a foldable iPad we can be 100% sure it will be a foldable iPhone.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Ok, now we’re talking. What I want is a device with a 12.9 IPP form factor when folded and about 600x440 mm unfolded; about 30 inches diagonal. Sold on day 1. I’m going off the top of my head, but double screen size of a 12.9 IPP

Tom

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
So...this is the new version of the touch bar? Why would I want something like this and lose the tactile feedback of the keyboard?

I'm highly skeptical of durability too. 'Foldgate' is waiting in the wings.

Foldable screens is kinda like block chain. It's a solution in search of a problem.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Corroborating previous rumors, the publication claims that the foldable is set to be a "larger device" rather than an iPhone, instead embodying a tablet or notebook.
There’s a good reason why it won’t be iPhone for foldable: it’s going to be too bulky.

From apple’s stance, any foldable phone is going to be too bulky. When user wants a phone, they want it to be thin and portable, light weight and most importantly comfortable to use. Foldable phones so far have been too bulky when folded up (see flip Z and Fold, too bulky and like a brick when folded up) and even when unfolded, it’s too uncomfortable to use as a phone. (See Fold. Flip Z, it’s easier to use when unfolded)

This is why it makes sense for Apple’s first foldable to be an iPad. Tablets are perfect candidate for foldable. When not in use, it can be folded up, and can be stored in a pocket or anywhere for maximum portability. What I am hearing from industrial chatter is that Apple is developing a “Pro” version of iPad mini that is just as powerful as full sized version but much portable for people working on the field.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Digitizes chiming in on existing rumors ... so it's over a year away and shall be interesting what Apple comes up with

ThaGoochiestMane

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2020
Yes, there's several variations of that with screens folding UP like that one and OUT (left & right) too...

full

...all in the ongoing pursuit of finding ways to bring more screen R.E. to "mobile" devices. That's what behind this fold & roll push by many: how to combine bigger screens with mobile tech.

This is really where the Vpro concept fits in nicely. Instead of added weight and balancing issues, virtualize any-size screens. Then, we don't need a 50" traditional laptop or a 100" laptop or a 30" Tablet, etc. One device can bring any size of screen to computers, tablets and phones... maybe even Watch.

What I would like to see is the lidless laptop product- a modern take on Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 to pair with Vpro for the "lid" portion. People already make these from existing MBs by basically removing the lids and it WORKS...

Put that skinny slab plus a Vpro in a lean-sized bag for a new kind of laptop concept with any-size screen.
Doesn't Vision Pro work like the HoloLens and you can just connect a BT keyboard + mouse to it? If so, couldn't you just buy a much cheaper (and smaller) BT keyboard + mouse?

I can absolutely see Apple releasing something like this, but imagining how expensive this sort of accessory would be I can't believe it'd be a good value.

ThaGoochiestMane

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2020
Is Apple looking to become the company known for solutions in search of a problem? (see AVP)
Unfortunately, Apple isn't even that "innovative" anymore. Haven't you heard the rumors about Apple's own Aura-ring?

They really seem to just copy other companies at this stage, knowing that these companies' devices won't pose a threat to users entrenched in Apple's ecosystem, but they could make similar devices to sell to their own audience.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Doesn't Vision Pro work like the HoloLens and you can just connect a BT keyboard + mouse to it? If so, couldn't you just buy a much cheaper (and smaller) BT keyboard + mouse?

I can absolutely see Apple releasing something like this, but imagining how expensive this sort of accessory would be I can't believe it'd be a good value.

Yes, but if you want Mac app (power) you want to use this with a Mac computer. In other words, the use I described lets the Mac apply Mac horsepower in Mac apps to a super-sized virtual Mac screen.

If iPad app (power) is good enough, then yes, a much cheaper & smaller option would be using BT keyboard and track pad... and there are some pretty-well-rated ones that can fold down to a relatively small package in support of this mobile laptop concept... like this one...

71GADRYtM5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

IMO: the bottom half of something like a 13" MBair with Vpro seems to be a "have your cake and eat it too" compromise for portability and power within this concept.

The way people are already getting it is buying damaged screen MBs for cheap and removing the lids. Then it "just works" as I've described.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.