Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As construction continues on what will be Apple's fourth retail store in Hong Kong, located in the upscale shopping area of Canton Road, new pictures of the store's facade with an Apple logo shared by iMag on Facebook officially confirm that the Cupertino-based company will soon be opening up shop in the area. The store has been planned since at least August 2013 and under renovation for the past several months.

Apple-Store-Hong-Kong-Canton-Road.jpg

The new Canton Road location is expected to be one of the biggest Apple Stores in Asia and will mark the fourth store in Hong Kong alongside Causeway Bay, Festival Walk and IFC Mall locations. It remains unknown when the new store will open to customers, but Apple appears to be in the final stages of construction and should announce grand opening details on its website in the coming weeks or months.

Article Link: Apple's Fourth Retail Store in Hong Kong Nearing Completion

nonktie

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
That looks gorgeous. Now if only their customer service would improve...
Really? How is their customer service in need of improvement? I've been an Apple customer for years, and the only times I've ever left frustrated is when I've done something to my phone/laptop that wasn't covered under Applecare. The thing is, instead of saying they have bad customer service, I acknowledged that the thing that I did was outside of their coverage.

Not to mention, I've always found that as long as I'm polite, they will do everything in their power to go above and beyond their job requirements.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Then why would Apple open a new store in Hong Kong but not China? Rents in Hong Kong are super high btw...

All the "fiscally responsible" Mainlanders just load up on luxury products in Hong Kong, because they don't charge tax there :p

On topic - I love how apples temporary site hoarding looks better than most shops actual frontage

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Really? How is their customer service in need of improvement? I've been an Apple customer for years, and the only times I've ever left frustrated is when I've done something to my phone/laptop that wasn't covered under Applecare. The thing is, instead of saying they have bad customer service, I acknowledged that the thing that I did was outside of their coverage.

Not to mention, I've always found that as long as I'm polite, they will do everything in their power to go above and beyond their job requirements.

My experience is the same as yours. But when you serve hundreds of millions, there will always be the occasional grumpy customer who feels wronged.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

My comment was only targeted at Hong Kong stores. In general I find the employees in Canada and the US much nicer.

Reactions: mektobat

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Yeah, that's the real kicker. Some people feel that customer service people are there to service their needs only, so they can be rude and patronising to get what they want (customer is always right, etc.). I have little doubt that a majority of bad experiences with Apple are due to this.

To anybody reading this: a smile on your face and some simple courtesy - i.e., treat them like a human being, with respect and decency - will get you a long way.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Then why would Apple open a new store in Hong Kong but not China? Rents in Hong Kong are super high btw...

couple of reasons i could suggest. i live in Shenzhen (just across the border from Hong Kong). The Apple Store here is always quite busy, the three in Hong Kong are always *packed* - if you're spending that much on an apple product around here you'll probably cross the border, or get someone to to save tax.

also, in this city at least, there aren't really any shopping districts - it's hard to find somewhere apple could have a big flagship store in an area with lots of foot traffic. i've been in more different shopping malls in this city in one year than I have the rest of my life around the world. Apple doesn't seem to be building pokey little stores anymore, especially not in China (given the population and sales) and so they probably don't find it so easy to find a suitable place to even put the kind of store they want here. I'm sure the returns in Hong Kong make it worth it.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

darkknight14

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2011
I am expecting gold tinted windows, gold coloured floors, only gold products on display when the curtain is lifted.

Looks like a massive store on a separate note.

Reactions: skinned66

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
That looks gorgeous. Now if only their customer service would improve...

Lol, wut?
Try googling "Apple Customer Service award" before saying something ridiculously stupid on an online forum...!!
It is well known that Apple pretty much dominates EVERY single customer service survey in every metric. You're being silly.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Lol, wut?
Try googling "Apple Customer Service award" before saying something ridiculously stupid on an online forum...!!
It is well known that Apple pretty much dominates EVERY single customer service survey in every metric. You're being silly.
I looks like the rabid and pious Apple fanboys here won't allow me to have an opinion on THREE of the hundreds of Apple Stores. The fact that you failed to read what I posted afterwards speaks volumes about who's being silly.

Reactions: 69Mustang

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah, that's the real kicker. Some people feel that customer service people are there to service their needs only, so they can be rude and patronising to get what they want (customer is always right, etc.). I have little doubt that a majority of bad experiences with Apple are due to this.

To anybody reading this: a smile on your face and some simple courtesy - i.e., treat them like a human being, with respect and decency - will get you a long way.

The SIMPLE fact that anyone at all has to even discuss this, point it out, spell it out, and teach others on these boards tells me a few simple things - things I personally never took for granted:

Level of CLASS - is seriously lacking on these boards or in this world in general (Think of Rudy from Fat Albert strutting and saying "you ain't got no classsss"). If I have to explain Class ... someone is far gone.

Commone courtesy and decency for your fellow man/woman/child/elder - with all these social media, social apps the lack in the one very basic social core that is never shared. If yo momma never taught you courtesy, decency and to treat others as you want to be treated - until they've shown they're not deserving in any manner- with no need to stoop to their level, then pops should've smacked somebody upside the head a few times to learn it real-talk!

Sorry but your post is SPOT on!
Sad how us as humans are evolving, ahem de-evolving.

xqz5199

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2015
This will really make an impact for Apple in the Chinese market. The store will not only help woo potential customers to purchase Apple products, but also assist Apple maintain its loyal customers. It also implies that Apple customers’ needs will be attended to well in Hong Kong. It is a big step in venturing into the vast markets of Asia.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Lol, wut?

You shop in Hong Kong do you???? You missed the point of his post completely. U.S. Stores still have awesome customer service, relax ;)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

I find the problem is apple customers, many times I have seen them in the Apple Store behaving like the apple staff are there to serve them. Well these are also the same people that return 6-7 devices, cause they need the "perfect" one. There are some really spoilt entitled brats when it comes to customer in apple stores at times...

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
You shop in Hong Kong do you???? You missed the point of his post completely. U.S. Stores still have awesome customer service, relax ;)

Thank you soooooooooooo much for clearing up the nuanced meaning of his post for me.
Though this post was from days & days ago, it has been weighing quite heavily on my mind.
Now, FINALLY, thanks to your clarification... I can, as you said, relax.
*phew!* *deep sigh of relief*

Reactions: MH01

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Thank you soooooooooooo much for clearing up the nuanced meaning of his post for me.
Though this post was from days & days ago, it has been weighing quite heavily on my mind.
Now, FINALLY, thanks to your clarification... I can, as you said, relax.
*phew!* *deep sigh of relief*

I am a connoisseur of sarcasm, and for your effort, going to hit the like button ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.