Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
How about samsungs smart cover ?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/trademarks/page/7/

Just another fanboy though so don't give it any thought.

I remember commenting on that one and it was found out very quickly that the product was not designed by Samsung but a 3rd party company.

I do remember saying it was a copy but also pointed out it was not a Samsung product. Something the sloppy reporting of the fanboy sites like to sweep under the rug. I do remember it was called a copy.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
I remember commenting on that one and it was found out very quickly that the product was not designed by Samsung but a 3rd party company.

I do remember saying it was a copy but also pointed out it was not a Samsung product. Something the sloppy reporting of the fanboy sites like to sweep under the rug. I do remember it was called a copy.

Doesn't stop *LTD* from slandering Samsung.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
How about samsungs smart cover ?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/trademarks/page/7/

Just another fanboy though so don't give it any thought.

Another 3rd-party "coincidence" that was officially endorsed and certified by samsung.

It was only after the story got enough exposure (and the accusations it gave rise to) that Samsung tried to distance themselves from it and claim innocence.

Again, more interesting coincidences. One can only wonder what the next one will be.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

True. It wasn't made directly by Samsung electronics inc.

It was made by a family member

Sang-yong Kim, CEO of the Anymode Corp., is the first son of Son-hee Lee, the third daughter of former Samsung’s chairman Beoung-chul, Lee. He ran the company through selling the Samsung mobile phone’s accessories and is also nephew of current chairman Gun-hee, Lee and in relation as a cousin of Jae-young, Lee, CEO of the Samsung Electronics.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
True. It wasn't made directly by Samsung electronics inc.

It was made by a family member

Sang-yong Kim, CEO of the Anymode Corp., is the first son of Son-hee Lee, the third daughter of former Samsung’s chairman Beoung-chul, Lee. He ran the company through selling the Samsung mobile phone’s accessories and is also nephew of current chairman Gun-hee, Lee and in relation as a cousin of Jae-young, Lee, CEO of the Samsung Electronics.

Family is nothing though, the fact is it's not Samsung that did it.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

This is nothing more than a testament of the penetration the Apple and Google have achieved in society. Designers equate certain things that are distinct to a particular platform with the industry as a whole. This is similar to how we say "Kleenex" instead of "Facial Tissue" or "QTips" instead of "Cotton Swabs". The iPhone made a big impression when it hit the smartphone market in 2007. That included things like Mobile Safari (which icon appears in the Samsung store) and Apple's implementation of Google Maps. The App Store came a year later and its icon is representative in people's minds for what an "App Store" is these days. In fact the ubiquity of "App Store" is what is making Apple's attempt to trademark it so difficult -- Apple essentially made the term generic by how popular it became before they decided to seek a trademark).

Those who do not understand the technical differences between devices (like graphic designers and decorators) will assume these things that they consider ubiquitous are on all smartphone platforms. This is part of why Apple is has those "if you don't have an iPhone ads" now. It is because they realize the general public does not realize that certain features are distinct to the iPhone (though Apple would like the general public to believe that all those features are distinct to them).

Anyway, I am sure the decorator of the Samsung store was just not aware of their mistake. However, the employees there should have caught on and done something about it. Allowing it to persist was just lazy if not due to the fact that the added confusion in the marketplace helps you sell more devices as "just like an iPhone" (which Verizon employees used to do with Galaxy phones). I would not count on commissioned sales people to do the right thing with respect to IP protection, nor do I think Samsung's corporate arm was even aware of that wall in Italy.

EDIT: My bad -- I just checked the original article translated from Italian after reading kdarling's reply to my post and this store is not even open yet or just opened. So I guess Samsung will likely be fixing that decor before or shortly after they open.

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It seems probable that very few people... especially future sales employees... had even seen the store before its picture was taken for the news announcing its opening.

Top it off sales people tend not to care. All they care about is sells or the pay check. They do not care about the decoration.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
It seems probable that very few people... especially future sales employees... had even seen the store before its picture was taken for the news announcing its opening.

I must have missed that.... So this store is not even open yet?

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Samsung's antics continue:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...phone_screenshot_for_galaxy_player_promo.html

Samsung accused of lifting iPhone screenshot for Galaxy Player promo

Consumer electronics maker Samsung appears to have used a nearly three-year-old screen capture of the Maps application on the iPhone to promote its own Galaxy Player 50 portable media player.

John Gruber of Daring Fireball noted on Monday (via Jeremy Philippe) that Samsung appeared to be using a maps interface that was an "ever-so-slightly modified rip-off" of the Maps application on Apple's iPhone for a promotional image of the Galaxy Player 50 on its website. However, it was quickly revealed that the interface shown on the device is actually an exact copy of an iPhone screenshot from a blog post by Laura Scott on BlogHer in 2008.

While the reason for the borrowed image is not immediately clear, a failure to replace a placeholder image is believed to be the cause. But, regardless of the reason, the issue is complicated by the fact that Apple is currently accusing Samsung of copying the design of its iPhone and iPad on its own products.

Samsung's line of Galaxy Player devices, announced last year, is widely viewed as the company's response to Apple's successful iPod touch, which blends the iPhone with Apple's line of iPod music players.

Left, iPhone screenshot (via Flickr); Right, Samsung promotional image.

samsung-111019.png

The South Korean consumer electronics giant has recently faced several setbacks in its legal dispute with Apple. Late last week, a Netherlands judge denied the company's request to block sales of the iPhone and the iPad in the country. In contrast, Apple in August successfully convinced a Dutch judge to order an injunction against three of Samsung's smartphones.

The Federal Court in Australia recently issued a preliminary injunction against Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet after Apple assert several of its patents related to touchscreen and multitouch technologies. The ruling came on the heels of a similar decision in Germany that blocked the device.

Samsung could also face injunctions on Apple's home turf. Last week, a Samsung lawyer was unable to distinguish between the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the iPad at a distance of 10 feet during a court hearing. U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh has yet to issue a ruling on the matter, but she has said that she believes the Galaxy tablets do infringe on some of Apple's iPad-related patents. However, Apple must still show that those patents are valid in order to win its case against its rival.

After Apple raised concerns with its rival last year, the matter went unresolved, prompting the iPhone maker to turn to the courts for help. The Cupertino, Calif., company first sued Samsung in April, and the disagreement quickly escalated, spanning more than 20 complaints across 10 countries.

Apple continues to maintain that the resemblance of Samsung's products to its own amounts to theft. "It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad ... This kind of blatant copying is wrong, and we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas," an Apple spokeswoman was reported as saying last week.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
While stupid the article pointed out that failure to replace the placeholder image is the most likely result. Stupid failure but still the most likely. Google maps does not look anything like that on Android.
This is like when OSX is image on windows laptops. I would not be surpise if the firm who made the image just had that file onhand and was using it and the forgot to replace it with one off Android.
Either way stupid mistake because all it does is give the Apple fanboys yet another thing to scream about and screw the truth.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
While stupid the article pointed out that failure to replace the placeholder image is the most likely result. Stupid failure but still the most likely.

Samsung seems to be experiencing a lot of inconvenient "stupid failures" that happen to make it to the press, and then get reproduced as yet another example of their "alternative" understanding of IP. http://www.neowin.net/news/samsung-uses-ios-image-to-promote-galaxy-player-50

Those Apple icons on the wall of apps were another "stupid failure", right? So was the almost point-for-point copying of the Apple charger and plug. Hopefully Samsung realizes that their "stupid failures" don't make them look good in light of the events of the past few months - events which are ongoing with Apple and the courts over rather more serious "stupid failures."

Always happens to be Samsung with these "stupid failures." Always somehow connected to Apple, and a new one almost every couple of weeks. My my how these "coincidences" and "honest mistakes" are mounting.

The evidence just keeps piling up. One wonders what's next.

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Samsung seems to be experiencing a lot of inconvenient "stupid failures" that happen to make it to the press, and then get reproduced as yet another example of their "alternative" understanding of IP.

Those Apple icons on the wall of apps were another "stupid failure", right? So was the almost point-for-point copying of the Apple charger and plug. Hopefully Samsung realizes that their "stupid failures" don't make them look good in light of the events of the past few months - events which are ongoing with Apple and the courts over rather more serious "stupid failures."

Always happens to be Samsung with these "stupid failures."

The evidence just keeps piling up. One wonders what's next.

thank you for proving my point LTD. This was a honest mistake. Stupid but still honest. All it did was provide yet another thing for fanboys to scream about. Since you do not even remotely know what it should of looked like I figured I would help you out and I made a quick screen shot for you of the current Google maps.

Attachments

• 11 - 1.jpg
    11 - 1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 56

kdarling

macrumors P6
Those Apple icons on the wall of apps were another "stupid failure", right?

They were part of an incorrect rumor. Reading from a link that you yourself posted:

"In September, Samsung was accused of borrowing Apple's Safari and App Store icons to decorate the wall of a mini-store in an Italian mall after photos of the store emerged, but it turned out that the wall was actually part of the larger store's design." - Apple Insider

It's always easier to start a rumor than it is to take it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.