Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Oh dear, I would love the iPad Air 3 and iPhone 5SE (If A9 and with 2GB of ram), as it could be the first and last time I'll ever buy a new iPhone. Sadly given how well my iPhone 5 works (besides useless battery) I can't justify it anyway.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I have the latest iOS on my iPhone 5S, and all is well. Not disputing your account, but it's not a universal problem.

Didn't mean to imply it was. In fact in quoting Apple Support, the implication is that a defect in the hardware on my particular iPhone failed due to the upgrade -- which if true I presume is because the software update changes the pathway it had been using under previous versions to a defective one in my phone. But I'm not an engineer.

The rapid battery drain problem however is pretty wide-spread complaint with the latest updates, including on the 6 models as well. My iPhone was on standby for 8 hours last night, and the battery dropped from 100% to 10% during that time. Didn't happen before 9.2.1, and so far neither Apple nor the support community has come up with a solution.

Never upgrade more than 1 iOS version past what shipped with the phone. You'll be much better off that way. You still get "some" advances, and as long as you don't freak with an occasional frame drop here an there, you'll be good to go.

IMHO, 2 iOS updates is where the battery starts to take the MAJOR hit.

That might be very good advice. But how do you stop the annoying software upgrade notice which pops up every other day, with no option to ignore, other than to put the upgrade off until later?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone 5se......What happened to keeping the selection simple???
That happens when you start selling phones with multiple screen sizes. And following the urges of many commenters, Apple will continue the 4" size instead of phasing it out.

You cannot have it both ways: an iPhone in the size class you want (call them small, standard, phablet) and a simple product lineup if you don't want to go to the extreme of only selling a suite of up-to-date models (ie, only three models with the same innards but at three different sizes). And if you were to do the latter, you fall foul of the people that think Apple has to offer a cheaper iPhone as well (currently the $450 iPhone 5s).

Last edited:

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
iPad Air 3 - pencil, pencil, pencil. Come on apple
[doublepost=1454531357][/doublepost]
The iPad Pro did not get a 4K display so i'm not sure what makes anyone think that the Air 3 will?? I hope I'm wrong on this because that would be awesome but not holding my breath

Because the iPad pro was debuting a new larger screen and stylus. Apple tends to only push a few tech areas each time. So the currently mature iPad Air form factor would be an ideal place to try a resolution increase.

I hope they don't personally - I don't see the point of 4K on a small screen. But then Sony put one on a blooming phone!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Not that I wouldn't like updated Macs...but for Apple to continue to thrive it MUST move on from its core products. Disruption comes from below: it was incumbent on them to disrupt the computer market, just as it will be for it to disrupt the phone-and-tablet market, etc. The same goes for any company that is entrenched in mature technology.

OK cool, but meanwhile I do most of my actual work on real, actual computers. Not awkward tablet hybrids, and not locked-down iOS devices. I could give a rat's *** about what's being "disrupted" -- I just want up-to-date hardware to work on, not gimmicky wrist displays I don't need. Some people claim to get a lot of work done on tablets, and that's great for them. But next time you find yourself in an actual office, take a look at those things that everyone has on their desks. They're called computers and there are many many millions of them out there in daily use, for good reason.
[doublepost=1454532641][/doublepost]
Knowing that Microsoft is having problems with Skylake cpus for their Surface product, why would you blame Apple for not updating their computers until Intel can deliver problem-free cpus in the volume Apple requires?
Calm down, my friend. No need for the bold freakout type.

If it's upstream supply problems that are the issue, then maybe the world's best-capitalized corporation needs to get that under control themselves? I don't know, and frankly I don't care, because as a consumer, it's not my job to monitor Apple's supply chain. I'm just here to use the computers and upgrade them as new features warrant -- but that's not really happening lately.

We're not just talking processors here. I would imagine that a company that can cram a high-powered retina display mini-computer into a tiny pocket case can also manage to phase out dinosaur-slow HDDs and not leave the Macbook Air to languish with a 2010-era display -- to cite just a couple of more egregious examples.

Last edited:

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Just happy that Apple is releasing major products outside of September/October.
I seriously doubt that "major products" will be introduced, more like warmed up leftovers. Based on the current trend in Cupertino the hype will be on Blast, but the goods will be lukewarm.

Suddenly the days of Steve Jobs do seem magical. Never thought I'd say that, but I haven't had reason to get excited by anything Apple in a long time.

Today's Apple Store is nothing but a high end Walmart.

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow
iPad Air 3 - pencil, pencil, pencil. Come on apple
[doublepost=1454531357][/doublepost]

Because the iPad pro was debuting a new larger screen and stylus. Apple tends to only push a few tech areas each time. So the currently mature iPad Air form factor would be an ideal place to try a resolution increase.

I hope they don't personally - I don't see the point of 4K on a small screen. But then Sony put one on a blooming phone!

Makes sense and I agree with you on the 4K/small screen point that you made but I just thought it was kind of odd that Apple boasted about the capabilities of the Pro in regards to editing 4K video but did not make the display 4K. And it is large enough to benefit from 4K I believe. It's not a deal breaker for me though, I will most likely be purchasing the Air 3 whether it has a 4K display or not. Excited to see what improvements they do bring to it.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Calm down, my friend. No need for the bold freakout type.

If it's upstream supply problems that are the issue, then maybe the world's best-capitalized corporation needs to get that under control themselves? I don't know, and frankly I don't care, because as a consumer, it's not my job to monitor Apple's supply chain. I'm just here to use the computers and upgrade them as new features warrant -- but that's not really happening lately.

We're not just talking processors here. I would imagine that a company that can cram a high-powered retina display mini-computer into a tiny pocket case can also manage to phase out dinosaur-slow HDDs and not leave the Macbook Air to languish with a 2010-era display -- to cite just a couple of more egregious examples.

Well, if you don't know and don't care, then it's going to be difficult having a conversation with you explaining why Apple is dependent on outside suppliers, such as Intel, who supplies CPUs for Apple's products.

Also, you will probably not care as well about the compromises needed, such as reduced battery life and/or reduced cpu performance required, in order to put a display that consumes more power in the MacBook Air.

And, you will likely not care that engineering a laptop is an exercise in managing compromises, and Apple tries to maximize the overall customer experience (including battery life, size, weight, etc) over other attributes such as absolute performance.

sliderbot

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
March 15th sounds like a good date to drop those skylake retina macbook pros...

Oh please let it be true. I've been waiting too long for that refresh. My 2011 macbook air is limping along at this point. I can't wait another year and yet I won't buy the current pro with the basically 3 year old processor.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Oh please let it be true. I've been waiting too long for that refresh. My 2011 macbook air is limping along at this point. I can't wait another year and yet I won't buy the current pro with the basically 3 year old processor.
Broadwell is a 3-year old processor?

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
YAWN. Give me macbook pros.

Watch bands, boo.
New iPad with the ability to attach a horrid keyboard. Boo.
A zombie iPhone that won't die resurrected with better brains, er, guts.... not wildly exciting but happy for people who like a tiny phone and miss the size.

Underwhelmed, and want new macbook pros.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
OK cool, but meanwhile I do most of my actual work on real, actual computers. Not awkward tablet hybrids, and not locked-down iOS devices. I could give a rat's *** about what's being "disrupted" -- I just want up-to-date hardware to work on, not gimmicky wrist displays I don't need. Some people claim to get a lot of work done on tablets, and that's great for them. But next time you find yourself in an actual office, take a look at those things that everyone has on their desks. They're called computers and there are many many millions of them out there in daily use, for good reason.

In fact I would expect the first places that whatever the disruption is will be evident first in businesses, particularly small ones. That's the history of technology: some product comes along that is good enough at enough things but at a lower price (or convenience cost) that it starts to gain a foothold. With enough of a foothold the new technology can rocket up the early stages of its maturation curve, where it gains a lot of power in a short amount of time.

We've already seen it in our lifetimes: the laptop computer has displaced the desktop computer in many areas. And before that we saw it with minicomputers replacing big iron, and then microcomputers replacing minicomputers. We'll see it again, and Apple (as with everybody else in the tech industry) will very much need to be in on that in the early days rather than holding on to mature technologies as their core business. It'll happen.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
In fact I would expect the first places that whatever the disruption is will be evident first in businesses, particularly small ones. That's the history of technology: some product comes along that is good enough at enough things but at a lower price (or convenience cost) that it starts to gain a foothold. With enough of a foothold the new technology can rocket up the early stages of its maturation curve, where it gains a lot of power in a short amount of time.

We've already seen it in our lifetimes: the laptop computer has displaced the desktop computer in many areas. And before that we saw it with minicomputers replacing big iron, and then microcomputers replacing minicomputers. We'll see it again, and Apple (as with everybody else in the tech industry) will very much need to be in on that in the early days rather than holding on to mature technologies as their core business. It'll happen.
Your generalities and buzzwords aside, there are hundreds of millions of people who use these "mature technologies" every day to get work done. I'm one of them.
Well, if you don't know and don't care, then it's going to be difficult having a conversation with you explaining why Apple is dependent on outside suppliers, such as Intel, who supplies CPUs for Apple's products.

Also, you will probably not care as well about the compromises needed, such as reduced battery life and/or reduced cpu performance required, in order to put a display that consumes more power in the MacBook Air.

And, you will likely not care that engineering a laptop is an exercise in managing compromises, and Apple tries to maximize the overall customer experience (including battery life, size, weight, etc) over other attributes such as absolute performance.

You're right, I don't care about any of that. That's for you, the self-appointed industry expert. As the consumer, I just want up-to-date hardware.

Last edited:

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
5SE, that is just weird. Does anyone really think on the eve (ok 6 months out) of the iPhone 7 release, that they would release an iPhone 5x product? That naming doesn't make much sense, and isn't really Apple.

Also it sound like some 1990's Pontiac car model.

Reactions: BlandUsername

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
That might be very good advice. But how do you stop the annoying software upgrade notice which pops up every other day, with no option to ignore, other than to put the upgrade off until later?
That only recently started happening.

I just look at those popups as Apple asking me to break my phone, so I am forced to buy another one. I gleefully refuse. So you basically have to fool yourself into thinking you are giving the middle finger to apple's planned obsolescence, every time.

BlankSlate

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2016
What are the chances the 4inch iPhone will come with downgraded specs? It would disappoint a lot of fans of the smaller form factor.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
What are the chances the 4inch iPhone will come with downgraded specs? It would disappoint a lot of fans of the smaller form factor.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Apple's first priority is likely replacing the entry level 5S with a phone capable of Pay, not to mention having a clear budget offering at the bottom of the lineup. When they drop the 6 down to $450, there won't be anything substantial to distinguish their cheapest offering from the flagship.

Apple doesn't need an event to announce that, but that would be my guess for their top priority. Next up, offering a mid-level 4" phone with better specs to get more out of that 20-30% who prefer that size, which we might not see until the 7 comes out. iOS 9.2.1 just broke my 5s, so I might upgrade to this entry model, and upgrade again in 6 months if the higher-spec version is compelling enough.

This is why Apple has to careful that they don't leave money on the table with customers who can afford more, and don't jeopardize their ability to get more from customers who rush to get this one. That's why I'm expecting Apple to deliver more than one 4" in March, which would explain the disparate rumors of the specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.