Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
Can't wait to buy it, but...

I'll probably get one before my iPhone 5 pre-ordered through AT&T!

I don't think it will cannibalize the regular iPad to a major degree. I think it will appeal to a whole different market/usage segment. I will have both and have different uses for each.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I don't think the Ipad mini could be 100% false according to the facts of apple last year they announced the Iphone on the 4th october and pre orders were taken on the 7th october and then the handsets were available on the 14th october in apple stores. The reason for my theory is because iphone 5 was announced on the 12th september and released on the 21st of september so they might be trying to squeeze other key event in for october so they had no option really then to bring the Iphone 5 forward to get this event in for october but saying that they could of been just working on Siri last year so they needed more time to finish it off and have it ready for the public.it just a thought it not gossip of coarse.

Time will tell if the rumour is true or false !!!

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Rumored dates about a rumored event about a rumored product.

Rumorception.

This site you posted on is in fact named MacRumors.com

----------

I wonder who will be supplying the screen, and will it be in-cell?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
I can guarantee the prices will start at $199. Anything higher than that they will be shooting themselves in the foot. This mini-iPad is direct competition for the Kindle Fire/HD which start at $149.99/$199.99. I can see it possibly starting at $249.99 but I think that prices to close to the iPad when the 16/32/64 memory options are taken into account.

yeah $249 is really sweet price point, I got nexus 7 Liked it so far. (only chrome browse I do not like much), it is way better to play some games on 7" tablet than the bigger cousin

Not sure How much profit margin apple willing to sacrifice. otherwise we might see at $299 for 8GB and $349 for 16GB - just to up sell and make some profits.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Revised full-sized iPad line. That's what's gonna happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple added the lightning connector to the regular iPad this month, but the question is would they take this opportunity to give it a new display, make it lighter, etc, In other words, the iPad 4 or just a iPad 3 with a lightning connector? People wanting a new iPad are often on the fence this time of year because they know a better iPad is only 5 months away. Holiday sales would benefit greatly from a revised iPad. Sure, some people who just got a iPad 3 over the summer will be pissed, but their noise will be drowned out by people buying gifts for the holidays.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Can we expect to see iPad 4 also announced or is buying an iPad 3 a pretty safe thing to do right now?

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Wouldn't it be illegal for anyone at Apple to share this sort of information with a "major Apple investor." Both the investor and the person who told him could wind up in jail for insider trading couldn't they?

It could be a board member?

Plus, it's not illegal if there is no trading going on. Just because he's an investor doesn't mean he's currently buying or selling shares. If he learns information such as this, he wouldn't get in trouble if he halted trading of AAPL until after the information that he knows becomes public knowledge.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I'll probably get one before my iPhone 5 pre-ordered through AT&T!

I don't think it will cannibalize the regular iPad to a major degree. I think it will appeal to a whole different market/usage segment. I will have both and have different uses for each.

I am genuinely curious as to how you will make use of the iPad and the iPad Mini?

I have thoughts of having both, with how the regular iPad is more of a "instead of a laptop" replacement for me (because I use a Mac Mini, the iPad is perfect for a bigger than my phone screen outside of my compyer room), and how the iPad Mini could be super casual / ultimate media remote for the couch.

But I am curious what others think they will do.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
And fitting the new smaller connector port into the iPad3 to bring all current products into line with each other?

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I can guarantee the prices will start at $199. Anything higher than that they will be shooting themselves in the foot. This mini-iPad is direct competition for the Kindle Fire/HD which start at $149.99/$199.99. I can see it possibly starting at $249.99 but I think that prices to close to the iPad when the 16/32/64 memory options are taken into account.

Start at $199? The iPod touch starts at $299... How could a large version possibly be cheaper?

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
I don't think the Ipad mini could be 100% false according to the facts of apple last year they announced the Iphone on the 4th october and pre orders were taken on the 7th october and then the handsets were available on the 14th october in apple stores. The reason for my theory is because iphone 5 was announced on the 12th september and released on the 21st of september so they might be trying to squeeze other key event in for october so they had no option really then to bring the Iphone 5 forward to get this event in for october but saying that they could of been just working on Siri last year so they needed more time to finish it off and have it ready for the public.it just a thought it not gossip of coarse.

Time will tell if the rumour is true or false !!![/
QUOTE]

Thanks for that :cool:;)

SteveyAppleSeed

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Not sure of it

The only reason this rumor bothers me is because we still haven't seen a 7.85 panel from any supplier (not to my knowledge) and I'm not sure Apple would release a non-Retina screen at this point.

What would the resolution of the 7.85 panel be? Evidence of a panel is usually what gives credibility to these rumors.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
i dont think we will see it this month, given the fact it will need final approval from each of the launch countries FCC, etc
it will push to back to close to nov, before they can even start selling and shipping it.
i think it will launch in march next year, with the 4th gen ipad.

apple might push refreshed macs this month before the holiday season.

but seeing as theres already a months wait for iphones, no set sale date for new iPods.
having another new product, with long wait times. isnt a good look, for any company, they will want sales numbers. units moved, not units sell being made.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
Start at $199? The iPod touch starts at $299... How could a large version possibly be cheaper?

Reason being that the NEW iPod starts at $299, but the old one starts at $199.
The iPad Mini is to use old iPad 2 parts (non-retina screen, old a5 chip?), whereas the new iPod uses a retina screen with the new a6 processor. Older parts to make it cheaper because it's not really a larger version of the $299 iPod. Spec-wise, it is much lower. If anything, the iPad Mini is a larger version of the iPod that starts at $199.

Now I don't believe it'll be $199 cheap, since that's the price of the similarly spec'd iPod, but probably $299 ($349?) or so. Hopefully not $349 for the sake of sales.

EDIT: commenter below me let me know that the new iPod does not use the new a6 processor, but instead uses the a5. Thanks.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
  • iPhone 5 Update
  • Maps Apology/Update
  • iMac refresh
  • 13" rMBP [?]
  • iPad Mini

How long after the iPhone 4 press event was the "antennae-gate"/"we are sorry but we did not mess up, here are some free bumpers" press conference?

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reason being that the iPad Mini is to use old iPad 2 parts (non-retina screen, old a5 chip?), whereas the new iPod uses a retina screen with the new a6 processor. Older parts to make it cheaper because it's not really a larger version. If anything, it is a larger version of the starts at $199 iPod.

Now I don't believe it'll be $199 cheap, since that's the price of the similarly spec'd iPod, but probably $299 ($349?) or so. Hopefully not $349 for the sake of sales.

The iPod touch 5th gen does NOT use an A6. It uses the same A5.

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
I really want the iPad Mini to be real. I want one but the iPad is really big and the Nexus 7 is the perfect size.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Those were the EXACT words I said when the first iPad was announced.
Boy, was I wrong!

The difference here is that with a iPad (that upscaled iPod Touch) anyone who was actually using an iPod Touch (or iPhone) for more then just "games" and "talking" knew exactly what a larger screen would mean for usability.

With a Mini 7-inchish that's less clear. What is hard to say at this point is if the 7-inch android boom is due to physical size or price point. My bet is on price point, people who have the money get iPads. People who want a tablet but don't feel they have the money get Fires, and Nooks, and Nexuses. Which just happen to be smaller screens because that's just cheaper to make.

Lots of correlation in the 7-inch market, not a lot of clear causation.

Price is going to be the issue. I kinda winced when they left the iPod Touch at 299 instead of say 249 or even 229. 299 on an iPod Touch to 499 on a full sized iPad is not a lot of wiggle room. A 399 iPad Mini at a base 16 GB is not going entice people away from the "cheaper" Android offerings. At 349 or 329, or very unlikely 299, its kinda stomping on the iPod Touch a bit hard.

Granted I love the Touch, it's the right size (even the new one) to be a non-celluar all-in-one PDA/Media device which is kinda missing in the market, but a 349 iPad Mini is going to get the "I can get significantly bigger screen for watching video and reading paper-backs for 50 more dollars" effect.

Apple really needed to bring the iPod Touch down bellow 300 dollars base and take a profit hit for a "gateway" iOS product. 249 base iPod Touch, that would have give a good wiggle room for an iPad Mini.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
The iPad Mini will have the 9.7 inch display from the iPad 2? :confused:

No, I obviously meant the iPad Mini and iPad 2 will probably share the same resolution non-retina screen. Didn't mean to suggest it would be the same physical size screen.
My mistake for saying iPad 2 parts, that's where the confusion came in. I should have same iPad 2 generation technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.