Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
If so, let's talk iPhone 5 sales numbers and Maps first. Get AAPL $700+

Not to brag, but it really makes me smile every time I'm reminded about Apple share price. I bought a boat load of them when it was $20 per share, and kept adding annually.

Sticking with them all through the dark years when many said they were done, it's just another reminder that the long term approach truly works. At least it has served me well up to the present.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
No Retina = No buy

What's sad is that they'll be leaving Retina out for iPad mini 2 next year.

Price (or cost in this case) is the key; Mini will get retina when the 7" retina is cheap enough to make, may be give it another 18 to 24 months. highly doubt it is possible now.

guineapig

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Italy
The difference here is that with a iPad (that upscaled iPod Touch) anyone who was actually using an iPod Touch (or iPhone) for more then just "games" and "talking" knew exactly what a larger screen would mean for usability.

With a Mini 7-inchish that's less clear. What is hard to say at this point is if the 7-inch android boom is due to physical size or price point. My bet is on price point, people who have the money get iPads. People who want a tablet but don't feel they have the money get Fires, and Nooks, and Nexuses. Which just happen to be smaller screens because that's just cheaper to make.

Lots of correlation in the 7-inch market, not a lot of clear causation.

Price is going to be the issue. I kinda winced when they left the iPod Touch at 299 instead of say 249 or even 229. 299 on an iPod Touch to 499 on a full sized iPad is not a lot of wiggle room. A 399 iPad Mini at a base 16 GB is not going entice people away from the "cheaper" Android offerings. At 349 or 329, or very unlikely 299, its kinda stomping on the iPod Touch a bit hard.

Granted I love the Touch, it's the right size (even the new one) to be a non-celluar all-in-one PDA/Media device which is kinda missing in the market, but a 349 iPad Mini is going to get the "I can get significantly bigger screen for watching video and reading paper-backs for 50 more dollars" effect.

Apple really needed to bring the iPod Touch down bellow 300 dollars base and take a profit hit for a "gateway" iOS product. 249 base iPod Touch, that would have give a good wiggle room for an iPad Mini.
I agree with you on the price issue, but regarding usability I might say that what is perfect for you might not be for many (my self being one) who would consider a 7inch tablet more portable than a 10.

What I was trying to say is that dismissing a very big market demand for a device with a simple "who would need that?" is rather narrow-minded.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Not happening. We would have seen part leaks.

That's what I've wondered about as well. A month before launch, there were plenty of part leaks, etc. for the iPhone 5.
On the iPad Mini front, it's been insanely quiet.
Depending upon the price and specs, I'd definitely consider an iPad Mini. But i wonder whether it's going to happen...

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Price (or cost in this case) is the key; Mini will get retina when the 7" retina is cheap enough to make, may be give it another 18 to 24 months. highly doubt it is possible now.

The rumor is 7.85". Which incidentally would give it the same PPI as the iPhone's retina display.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
I am genuinely curious as to how you will make use of the iPad and the iPad Mini?

I have thoughts of having both, with how the regular iPad is more of a "instead of a laptop" replacement for me (because I use a Mac Mini, the iPad is perfect for a bigger than my phone screen outside of my compyer room), and how the iPad Mini could be super casual / ultimate media remote for the couch.

But I am curious what others think they will do.

Get my full-size iPad back from my damn wife and kids, that's what I'll do. :D

Seriously, I dont' see a need for both for the same person. However, as I've mentioned before, the Ipad Air (I like the sound of that) will be my casual device. E-reader, web-surfer, emailer. I have a MBP as our home computer and the iPad covers all of my wifes needs. I just want the smaller and less expensive version for my own casual use....
....and to get one for my 6 and 3 year old to play on.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Serious question, will this eat into iPod Touch sales? Or the iPad sales? Or both?

My opinion, it'll eat into both. While I'm all for the smaller form iPad, it seems that it would also compete directly with the iPod Touch, simply based on price/size difference.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
New IPad Mini with A5X, upgraded iPad with A6. Both with Lightning connector.

If they make this product, I'm 99% confident it'll be an A5 (@32nm), basically an iPad 2 (1024x768/A5/512MB RAM), but with a Lightening connector and _maybe_ upgraded cameras.

I don't think we'll see a new full sized iPad, they need somewhere to go during the normal revision cycle next year. Then we'll see a 4th gen ~10" with an A6 with revised 4 core GPU (A6X?), Lightening connector, 720P FFC, dual channel 802.11N, plus the use of the new display tech combined with the lower temp/power CPU/GPU will result in a ~15-20% size/weight reduction :)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
What? At what resolution would it give 326ppi?

If you wish to run existing iPad apps on this tablet then there are only two possible resolutions to begin with: 1024x768 and 2048x1536. The latter will give you 326ppi at 7.85".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.