Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm DisplaySearch today released the results of its estimates of mobile PC sales for the second quarter of 2011. The study includes both traditional notebooks and tablets, and Apple was able to ride the strength of the iPad to the top of the list with 21.1% of the market on 13.6 million units shipped. Apple comfortably topped second-place HP, which came in at 15% share with 9.7 million units shipped.

displaysearch_mobile_rankings_2q11.jpg

The report notes that Samsung and Dell led the way in year-over-year shipment growth among notebook PCs, but that performance was overshadowed by Apple's iPad growth, which saw unit shipments more than double year-over-year.

On the tablet front, quarterly shipments of non-Apple tablets have quickly risen to 5.6 million units, although many manufacturers appear to be having difficulty translating those shipments into actual sales to customers. Overall, tablet shipments were up 70% quarter-over-quarter and 400% year-over-year.

Article Link: Apple Tops Worldwide Mobile PC Shipments in Q2 2011 with iPad Included

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Every report I see like this says "if the iPad is included". If you have to tack that onto every report, maybe that's a sign that it isn't and shouldn't be included.

I realize it's a grey area in the industry, but it runs the same OS and iPhone and iPod Touch. So if you're going to include the iPad, you need to include those too. The defining factor for mobile PC should be a full OS with a navigable file system. Tablets don't (and shouldn't) have these qualities. So while the iPad is a mobile device, I don't think it should be included as a "mobile PC".

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
Every report I see like this says "if the iPad is included". If you have to tack that onto every report, maybe that's a sign that it isn't and shouldn't be included.

In this case, the iPad was included. Not "if the iPad was included".

JorickF

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009

Or a sign that it should be included.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
In this case, the iPad was included. Not "if the iPad was included".

You clearly are missing my point. The point is that they specifically had to point out that the iPad was included. If the iPad naturally fit into this category, it wouldn't even have to be mentioned.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Great news. Let the knockoffs ship and stay on the shelves while innovative products sell!

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Well, it's good that the iPad is included considering that Windows 8 is really trying to push the tablet platform into the PC market.

----------

You clearly are missing my point. The point is that they specifically had to point out that the iPad was included. If the iPad naturally fit into this category, it wouldn't even have to be mentioned.

They added that so people wouldn't keep asking "Is this with or without the iPad." :rolleyes:

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Mac shipments without iPad

The report said 80% of Macs shipped were iPads. If you exclude those, you get around 2.7 million Macs. However, you then have to exclude tablets and maybe other form factors from competitors, too.

Their category is mobile personal computers, not laptops or notebooks. I think that's their rationale.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
How can it be a PC if it's a Post-PC device? :confused:

Because you have 10 different "analysts" commenting on the category of the iPad, thus confusing people like you, who try to fit into one category or another.

The computing space is so mature, so the fact that the iPad can be introduced, sell tens of millions of units (and a rate that increases every day), and most people even have trouble defining what it is...I'd say that is success.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

"although many manufacturers appear to be having difficulty translating those shipments into actual sales to customers..."

a big difference in shipment converting to sales $$$

off topic - had a good time watching you twins last night - andrece twins (r.i.p.) - star trek - tos

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I guess it depends of Samsung and HP tablets were included or not as well...if so then it's a fair comparison, if not then it's not very good apples to apples comparison.

See what I did there? :p

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
and there you go... the dumbing down of Apple continues - thankfully most people will see this chart for what it is, nonsense. Even Apple does not include iPads

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer iPad and tablets in general are personal computers. There's nothing like Post-PC, its a marketing term used by Apple.
If you read into the article that you actually linked to, it says:
"Apple iPad and iPhone are not tablet PCs they are tablet devices. As the iPad and iPhone use an embedded operating system such as those found in PDAs and cell phones, they do not support full feature microcomputer operating systems."

The iPad is a great device, don't get me wrong, but anyone who has used it for more than an hour will know it is not a tablet PC by any stretch of the imagination. It's just number padding to benefit Apple, no other manufacturers numbers were inflated by 500%.

Angelchild

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2009
Steve Ballmer in person said "iPad is a PC" (D8 conference)

iPad is a post PC device? Yes. Does it mean it can't be included in PC category? Nope.

It's absolutely correct to count iPad in. People consider iPad as a PC but BETTER than a PC. So iPad is a PC (to the people) but *also* a post-pc device (because it's better than a PC).

Plain and simple.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Why not just have a tablet category? It would be even better for Apple, probably 90%+ of the market.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why not include iPods and REALLY pad the numbers..

Seems rather obvious to me. iOS devices are post PC. So it would be like ask why doesn't Nike include sales of Cole Haan shoes in its athletic shoe sales report. Similar product, different category.

Why not just have a tablet category? It would be even better for Apple, probably 90%+ of the market.

61% actually

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Great ... just great .. I'm an Apple user .. but why make the statistic of PC with iPad included?

It loses the objectivity by doing so, why not count iPhone and iPod touch then? It's not so different from iPad?

While it happens, why not someone counting in Sony on the equation as well? They make PCs, Playstation3, PSP, and some phones and tablets too, don't they? Those are some PC too which can browse, listen to music, play video?

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Why not include iPods and REALLY pad the numbers..
This is a REALLY good point! Why didn't they include the iPhone or iPod touch? They run on the same OS.

I personally don't think it should be included in a list of personal computers. The iPad is a wonderful device and is very useful, but there is a long list of things it can't do, things you need a Mac or PC to do. Do you know anyone that has an iPad that doesn't have it near their real computer at some point in the day, when they need to actually use a computer?

It's very successful so they won't do this, but I would love to see the iPad grow up and just be a touchscreen MacBook Air that does not open up or have a keyboard. A device very much like the iPad but with a full OS and a few USB ports, like a computer.

Steve Ballmer in person said "iPad is a PC" (D8 conference)
And why does he (or Steve Jobs) get to determine what a "PC" is? Again, I'll point to the fact that people who use the iPad generally have a computer they use as well, and not just to set it up.

It's absolutely correct to count iPad in. People consider iPad as a PC but BETTER than a PC. So iPad is a PC (to the people) but *also* a post-pc device (because it's better than a PC).
I think it's valid to consider the iPad to be "better" than a PC. If it does what you need better than a personal computer, then great! You've got something better than you had before. But now you are saying it's better than a PC. That seems to suggest it's not a PC, it's something better.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.