Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
"It is yet to be confirmed whether the displays will be flexible but sources said it was a possibility, since Apple will want to upstage Samsung's Galaxy Gear."

Come on.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
The watch has been done. I like Apple, but this is following, not leading.

The phone was done too. Before iPhone. It was called Blackberry. Think of it like this. Samsungs watch is like blackberry before the iPhone. Apple will blow Samsungs watch out of the water.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
"It is yet to be confirmed whether the displays will be flexible but sources said it was a possibility, since Apple will want to upstage Samsung's Galaxy Gear."

Come on.

All it has to do to upstage the Galaxy gear is do something vaguely useful and not look totally crap. In fact it would be pretty hard to come up with a device worse than the Galaxy Gear :rolleyes:

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
every time i look at that rushed 'galaxy gear' i cringe and laugh at the same time. Desperate times Samsung.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America

I agree with you in a way.

I am disappointed that Apple is making a 1.7" and 1.3" display watch. It seems to be competing directly with the other smartwatches.

The iPod, iPhone and iPad were innovative because they were different (and better) than the alternatives in the market.
The iPhone revolutionized smartphones because nobody thought that a phone could be a big touch screen.

If Apple is to revolutionize the watch, it should be a single screen wrapped around your wrist.
But just have straps and a 1.7" screen? It does look like they're following, not leading.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Name one thing Apple has EVER done in their history that is not 'following'.

I don't understand what you're saying. Apple always takes something existing and makes the best product in that category.

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Apple, please focus on the apple tv, not the watch. I bet you can do better than Samsung but I have seen a total of 0 people wearing that Samsung thing.

I'm sure there are folks who would have a use for an apple watch and I would even consider it if it looked like a nice watch (not a new aged swatch ala Samsung).

What I want to do is take an iPod and strap it to my wrist and laugh at all the Samsung fans and their smaller screen. Bigger is better right?

MrMichaelJames

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
This will bomb. The only people that would be interested in this would be tech folks and most of them that I know do not wear a watch, we have a smart phone that doubles as our watch. People that DO wear watches still do so for stylish reasons not to get email or texts so they won't buy this either.

A "smart" watch is not practical.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
This will bomb. The only people that would be interested in this would be tech folks and most of them that I know do not wear a watch, we have a smart phone that doubles as our watch. People that DO wear watches still do so for stylish reasons not to get email or texts so they won't buy this either.

Agreed. I do wear a fitbit which I'm sure one of these things could replicate, but those watches are so big and ugly. Ugh. It's really no big deal to pull out my phone.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I am getting excited about smart watches. At first I didn't care for them, because I am not a watch person. But I think I am not a watch person because they don't do anything. I have been looking at the Pebbles pretty hard. I may get one to hold myself over until Apple drops something (sub $180).

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
i have fairly small wrists, so it's either wear a loose watch or wear a woman's one. lol.

I like a small watch so I would get the woman's watch.

I wear a watch (it's almost 30 years old :D) and I don't wear it for stylish reasons. I prefer to take a quick glance at my wrist for the time rather than pull out a phone.

I'll be buying this when it comes out if the battery life is good.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I'm a software developer, and I wear an analog watch to see the time and date. Not for style at all. I've never once turned on my cell phone to see the time - it makes no sense when it's simpler to glance at my watch.

clocks.png

I also don't like digital clocks. A clock, to me, tells me the relationship of 'how much time is left'. When I see the analog clock up above, I see - good - about 9:00, a good amount of time to get a lot done until lunch - about 1/4 of the clock remaining until it hits the top.

When I see the digital clock above, I'm now adding numbers - 8:57 is 3 minutes until 9:00, now that's 3 hours until 12:00 lunch time, okay, that's a good amount of time. It's just not the same type of thing as analog.

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
And yet... Apple is suing Samsung. I love you Apple... but this is a bit much.

Embarrassing post. Samsung's couldn't even be called a device in my eyes, it's that awful. I'm just going to start saying 'Biometrics' in every comment, and hopefully people will catch on to what Apple is doing. Doubtful though.

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
I prefer a pocket watch (aka my iPhone).

It's not a watch. (the iWatch that is) iWatch = generic term used to describe what Apple is doing with a wearable device. Thinking of it as a watch is so close minded it is sad. The displaying of time and date will be of as little consequence as it is on the iPhone, it's just there because of course it would be there.

----------

I agree with you in a way.

I am disappointed that Apple is making a 1.7" and 1.3" display watch. It seems to be competing directly with the other smartwatches.

The iPod, iPhone and iPad were innovative because they were different (and better) than the alternatives in the market.
The iPhone revolutionized smartphones because nobody thought that a phone could be a big touch screen.

If Apple is to revolutionize the watch, it should be a single screen wrapped around your wrist.
But just have straps and a 1.7" screen? It does look like they're following, not leading.

No you see Apple understands that the only really useful reason to have a 'wearable' device is to track biometrics. If you aren't tracking biometrics with a device you wear all the time, you are not only missing the point, you are slaughtering the opportunity to further enhance people's lives (potentially saving millions of lives with ideas I have about it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.