Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Likewise, would you say the phone had been done before 2007 when touchscreen phones already existed at the time?

Cell phones sucked before Apple. Everyone knows that. Nobody SHOULD accuse Apple for following by creating a cell phone.

Seems like you've already been reprimanded so I'll just say I'm interested in what Apple has in store with this "iWatch".

What? Because people disagree with me?

Releasing a watch that is actually useful for non-geeks and people who are not seriously fashion-impaired aka have no bloody taste at all, that would be leading. :D

Or do you think Apple shouldn't produce a good product just because Samsung had nothing to copy and tried to sell a product that is just rubbish?

I'm all for Apple making nice products, I just don't see a watch as time well spent on something that's going to change much.

The phone was done too. Before iPhone. It was called Blackberry. Think of it like this. Samsungs watch is like blackberry before the iPhone. Apple will blow Samsungs watch out of the water.

Stop comparing a watch to a phone. These are totally different scenarios. Better phones were needed, even if Apple can make a nice watch, it will never be needed as much as a good smart phone.

Name one thing Apple has EVER done in their history that is not 'following'.

I don't understand what you're saying. Apple always takes something existing and makes the best product in that category.

The problem with your argument, I don't see as the iPhone or iPad as following. I just don't see how they're going to revolutionize a friggin' watch.

Nope, what Apple is working on hasn't been done. Bio sensors are what make this product, everything else is second to that.

It's Apple so it has to be something that hasn't been done. I'll be curious to see what they do, but it seems the Pebble and Samsung are pretty much failures.

Same with tablet computer or smart phone, what is your point?

Not the same thing...

Tablets, cell phones and mp3 players were already done before too and yet, Apple is has stayed on top or top 3, leading the way.

"..where's that at, if you want me i'll be in the barn" Joni Mitchell Case of you.

Not the same thing...

No watch has been done successfully! It is all about the battery life and the physical size of the watch! And also at the same time balancing battery life against features and usability!

You are over simplifying something very very complex!

You may be right, but I have serious doubts that Apple is really going to revolutionize a watch. Phone, Tablet, iPod, TV, yes I can see that. But a watch? I'm not so sure...

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
I should keep this comment for when it transforms people's lives, but I'm not that interested. First of all it's not a watch, it's a wearable device that happens to display time, and give notifications. The real reason they are making it is to track biometrics. As an example of it saving someone's life: elderly person goes into cardiac arrest, the watch instantly sends alerts to family members so they can contact 911, or it sends alerts directly to emergency services. If it accurately tracks blood glucose non-invasively, it will literally be vital to diabetics, but not just them, any smart person trying to lose weight. Moreover it could save diabetics lives, if their blood sugar is getting too low, instantly vibrate, and alert them to raise it.

You shouldn't keep this comment. It's full of holes. Big gaping holes. Using edge case hypothetical to bolster your position is not the best way to get people to see your vision. Did I mention big gaping holes?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Every time there is iWatch news people react as if they will be forced to wear one and it will be inconvenient. A lot of people wear watches for various reasons. A lot of people never wore one, even before cell phones. If Apple put out a watch tomorrow it wouldn't change your available options.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
I see a lot of women wearing bigger watches these days and it looks great. Nothing sexier then a woman wearing a Submariner or Daytona or even a Panerai. Im not sure how the watch is going to fit in for people who prefer to wear a fine swiss mechanical but still love their electronic gadgets. Maybe the iwatch on the right hand. I certainly don't want to start that trend but if it catches on why not.

Also it remains to be seen if it will be water/rain proof etc.

something's off with you

StevesJob

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
You do know that old people have troubles even with using iPhone, or even those really really easy phones made especially for elderly people? Now how will they be able to use something that they can even hardly see :)

Besides, 60+ isnt the target audience that apple wants to sell its products to.

There are a lot of diabetics who are not that old or are old and still able to read a number from a watch (with their glasses on). For those, a reliable glucose sensor in a watch would be unbelievably useful. Actually the display of the iWatch won't be smaller than the display of most of todays glood sugar meters.

Having said that I don't think apple will be able to come up with a reliable technology to measure blood sugar levels through the skin anytime soon. A few major pharmaceutical companies already tried that and so far they all failed. And those were big companies like roche who spent decades trying to find new ways to reliably measure blood sugar.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
i agree. I rather spend 250+€ on a normal watch, that has beautiful design and premium materials and will look good on my hand, than some geeky watch thats going to be used for reading messages on it because i'm too lazy to take my phone out of my pocket.

Who said that reading messages would be the main function or selling point? We have no idea what apple will do. The iPhone is a lot more than a phone. if anything calling is the least of its purpose. I can only imagine what an iWatch will do. I also think google is on to something with putting google now on a watch..

StevesJob

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
The Phone had "been done". The Tablet had "been done".. Even the Mouse had "been done".

Apple is not about doing things first.. they're about doing things better :apple:

you are about the 25th person to write that in this thread...

Mediakip

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
Perhaps not gender watches

Perhaps there are different sizes for those who like a bigger watch or a smaller watch, no matter the gender. Not all woman like tiny, and not all men big. The size is not a gender issue :)

nickgri

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
unfold

Make it unfold to become almost as big as an iphone. Forget having to still have your iphone nearby for more functions-make like a belt or belt buckle or shoe hold the extras. Clip off ear-mic unit.
Time, emails, web search, piezo type arm swing battery.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You guys keep repeating the same thing, but Cell phones are a huge need ..... There's little reason for a watch. I'm sure Apple will sell a lot, but it will die down, and not be as successful as some of their previous products.

Before wrist-watches, people carried timepieces in their pocket.
timepiece.jpg

Phones will go the same way as timepieces, eventually.

The only functionality a phone can give you over a smart watch is a larger screen, everything else will eventually be done with a smart watch..... and if you think about the future, if a smart watch could show a hologram of information floating above it, as large as a Samsung Note or an iPad, would you ever need a phone again? (Prototypes of these devices exist NOW)

Aetuts_Preview_Hologram_Watch.jpg

Last edited:

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
We have no idea what apple will do. The iPhone is a lot more than a phone. if anything calling is the least of its purpose. I can only imagine what an iWatch will do. I also think google is on to something with putting google now on a watch..

Exactly. It always amazes me when people predict that a rumored Apple product is going to be a failure when nobody has any idea what the product is going to do, either when it comes out or what Apple has in mind for it later on (e.g., the iPod followed by the iTunes Store, or the iPhone followed by third-party apps). Unless Apple starts to prove otherwise, I trust their track record of introducing successful products more than I trust other people's lack of imagination about what a rumored product might or might not do.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
IMHO For the iwatch to have any legs, it needs to be a flexible snap bracelet.

Also, I think the mac pro should have a clear case option with an anti static charge to prevent it from getting dusty.
And if they ever produce a tv screen, it would be great if it were transparent when off. :cool:

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
The only functionality a phone can give you over a smart watch is a larger screen, everything else will eventually be done with a smart watch..... and if you think about the future, if a smart watch could show a hologram of information floating above it, as large as a Samsung Note or an iPad, would you ever need a phone again? (Prototypes of these devices exist NOW)

I dunno man, I like my phone. I don't think I need any crazy hologram stuff. Ask me in 200 years.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I dunno man, I like my phone. I don't think I need any crazy hologram stuff. Ask me in 200 years.

You're ready to be that ornery old man saying 'get off my lawn!' :D

45_Get_off_My_Lawn.png

Seriously, though, Hologram devices are a long way off, but I think they'll happen in my lifetime. The devices will go slowly and evolve. Did I think 10 years ago that touchscreens would be all the rage? No way! I didn't want any of that 10 years ago, because it all seemed so wrong. Now, it's evolved and feels right.

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
I'm not a big fan of this watch idea, but at-least Apple is taking their time with it, like their upcoming tv's and do it right. They're gonna use that flexible battery in the wrist band... it might raise an eyebrow or two in it's debut. It should have some kind of "Wow factor". Samsung will probably be embarrassed and agitated.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Now tell us the dates :p

I can't help wondering Apple is always ahead of themselves when it comes to design.....

They'd done this over and over already... We get the design layout, tech spec etc... of everything, but no ship dates yet, or even confirmed..

My wild guess is Apple does this deliberately, so they can easily push it back while users will be less likely to notice which they gorge themselves in reviews.

MacMulti

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
If Apple wants to capture a bigger market, it has to work really hard in designs and functions to persuade those that have ditched their wrist watch. And those that wear them, from young to professionals, gents to ladies, don't make them look like wearing toys or play watch.

I belong to the former and may love to wear one if it is rightly done.

The ones pictured in this article are still not there and far short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.