Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
If Apple fails to protect their intellectual property in court, they in effect lose the right to do so. If you invented something that enriched your company, how would you feel if someone ripped you off?

What Apple spends on legal fees is likely chump change compared to the rest of their operating expenses. It won't materially impact their cash on hand.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Host/Executive Producer,
The Tech Night Owl LIVE

You honestly think apple is going to be in some kind of financial crisis anytime soon? I havent heard of a single time where Apple has done something noble to give back. Theyve got the highest prices for generic products, aka the apple tax. Theyve got a lot of money to burn, these legal fees, most of which have been LOST is clear evidence.

Apple *is* the new Microsoft of the 1990s.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :) Microsoft had its best moments in the 90's.

Yeah and the consumer (you, me and everyone else) got the shaft.

The only one that benefits from this is Apple. Apple doesnt give a damn about satisfying consumers, they only care about profits.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
This just goes back to Steve Jobs' irrational hatred for Android. He said he wanted to destroy them, and this is proof of it. Microsoft made licensing deals with most of the Android OEMs and dropped their lawsuits. Apple has so far refused to do so. Licensing agreements are how most companies end up settling deals like this. Microsoft gets a few bucks per device sold, the OEM gets a few bucks, and everyone is happy. I guess instead of making a few easy bucks, Apple would rather waste money on long, drawn-out, legal battles.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Can you imagine a world without lawyers?

tumblr_ltbtgjU70B1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
You honestly think apple is going to be in some kind of financial crisis anytime soon?
You miss the point. Apple has an obligation to protect their IP - shareholders demand such an action. Part of business is to identify and protect against external threats and one of those is IP infringement. If Apple doesn't protect itself, all of their innovative actions are pretty much worthless. Think about it this way - would you bother to create something (at a significant financial and personal hardship) that could potentially benefit lots of people and could make you lots of money if you knew that such an innovation would get shamelessly ripped off leaving you with nothing to speak of?

ETA:
I'm sure they're spending loads of cash on legal cases.
First Gene, I like your weekly show.

Second - Apple's legal costs are going to be high no matter what. Like most profitable and successful companies out there, Apple faces tons of legal actions - much of it simply due to the fact that people want to get money out of them. Even if Lyons number is accurate (which I doubt), it doesn't reflect the whole picture.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Yeah and the consumer (you, me and everyone else) got the shaft.

The only one that benefits from this is Apple. Apple doesnt give a damn about satisfying consumers, they only care about profits.

I know, right? All those millions of dissatisfied Apple customers! :rolleyes:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20108336-17/apple-tops-in-customer-satisfaction-for-8th-year/

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple-customer-satisfaction-survey/

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/12/22/apple-ipad-garners-84-customer-satisfaction-rating-survey/

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Sigh, I remember a time when tripe like this would never make it to MR. Seriously, a story about Apple's $100M fees where the number is made up by a 'journalist' and the story quotes the 'journalist' saying 'whether the $100 million figure is accurate doesn't really matter'.
In all fairness, there was a time when Apple didn't have the patents nor the money to engage in this type of worldwide legal warfare. So, it makes sense that it didn't make it onto MR.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
The US, and every other industrialized country, spends hundreds of billions each year on law enforcement: cops, prosecutors, courts, and prisons.

And yet we still have crime. Was that money "wasted"?

Of course not. The purpose is not just to punish those who get caught - but act as a deterrent to every other person who might otherwise be tempted to do a little burglary or embezzlement.

Its the same thing with legal fees. Apple makes something like a billion dollars a month in profit (not revenue) from the iPhone. Do you think its not worth spending 3 days worth of profits, if it helps deter, or delay, competitors from ripping off their designs?

How much did HTC spend defending their product? How much extra time did their engineers (and Samsung's, and Google's) spend working on code so as not to come too close to Apple's designs?

Look further down the road: Is it possible that all these patent lawsuits (including Microsoft's against HTC) aren't going to make it that much more likely that cellphone makers are going to consider using Windows Phone? (Hint, Apple will do just fine in a three or four OS horserace. Apple would be in trouble if everyone else settled on Android.)

Patents, at their core, are all about time. If someone comes up with the greatest tech in the world, and patents it, that 14 year clock starts ticking immediately - after which its free and open to anyone. In the smartphone business, things move even faster. Today's gee-whiz interface and technology is old news three years from now. And if Apple, by dint of its assertive legal strategy, can keep its would-be competitors off balance for six months or a year while their legal case unfolds - then thats money well spent.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Oh, Apple. I could have gotten you the same results, and charged only a FRACTION of the price! And I don't even have a law degree :D

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
...probably because back then MacRumours had stories about Apple Macs, it wasn't "all Itoys all the time". ;)

+1

It's turned into an iToy cheerleading squad standing on the shoulders
of Apple Insider and Macworld with MacLife and all the other silly
fansites at the bottom of the pyramid. What a sad spectacle. :(

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
You know everyone (consumers and manufacturers) would benefit if all of these companies would just say, "You can use our patents, if we can use yours."

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
+1

It's turned into an iToy cheerleading squad standing on the shoulders
of Apple Insider and Macworld with MacLife and all the other silly
fansites at the bottom of the pyramid. What a sad spectacle. :(

A bit depressing. That seems to happen to all Apple sites.. Anyone remember SpyMac? I joined that in 2001 or something... way before the Intel switch, it went to the dogs around 2006.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
That was when there used to be rumours about new macs. Now its all just telephones and lawsuits.

Apple's focus on Macs has also gone down the crapper. The Mac Pros get very little attention, they used to be awesome machines with constant updates from Apple, now theyre updated once every 18 months.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The US, and every other industrialized country, spends hundreds of billions each year on law enforcement: cops, prosecutors, courts, and prisons.

And yet we still have crime. Was that money "wasted"?
Yes. 70% of it.

However since none of us have facts and we know Apple uses both internal legal staff and external firms in these efforts, I wonder just how much stuff is handled by teams of legal minions on a salary and how much is done by the more money intensive partner types.

Rocketman

doramjan

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
80 billion in cash?

That's only a 8742 kilometer tall stack of $1 bills. Surely they can donate a few kilometers to some patent litigators...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Isn't Lyons the one that has been going on crazy anti-Apple diatribes for the last 2 years?

I was about to ask the same thing. And I think the answer is yes.

----------

If Apple fails to protect their intellectual property in court, they in effect lose the right to do so.

THere's no 'in effect' about it, they just lose the right. The catch is that it doesn't matter what they see as a violation but whether what the court does. Apple might feel that Android's little app drawer that looks like the iOS dock isn't a violation but a judge might and thus Apple failed to protect that IP and it can bite them in the butt.

And then having been bitten and having lost their patent, trademark or whatever someone else could come in and get protection on it and then sue Apple for a violation.

----------

Considering how much cash Apple has right now and how much it's wasting on these legal battles

Pretty much every company is filing just as many law suits and spending just as much money, without having an Apple level of cash in the bank.

We don't hear about it because those companies don't get the hit count that Apple does and thus the sites have less of a reason to give them hourly attention

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
A drop in the bucket. Apple recoups that several times over every quarter.

Every cent Apple spends asserting their rights is money well spent. Every cent is an act of protecting their brand, and that in turn contributes (and *has* contributed) to their ridiculous success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.