Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
As an Apple shareholder, I don't care if they spend double that amount. I'd really like to see Apple break Android just to prove that a company can't go around stealing IP and get away with it. Apple can't totally get rid of Android, but I'm hoping that whatever steps Apple can take it will drive up the cost of use for Android smartphone vendors and make it not such a freebie product. Apple's reserve cash pile likely grows about $6 billion every quarter by now, so $100 million is a definitely a drop in the bucket. If Apple could guarantee to break Android by spending a billion dollars of reserve cash, I'd tell them to go ahead and do it.

Google used an unfair advantage to leverage Android over every smartphone vendor in the world by giving away the OS for free with the sole purpose of taking the most market share from every company that sold smartphones. I hope even Microsoft is able to claw its way back and help take down Android if it isn't already too late. I hope Apple is able to negate every advantage Android has by flat-out going head to head with them whether in court or in profits.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
A drop in the bucket. Apple recoups that several times over every quarter.

Every cent Apple spends asserting their rights is money well spent. Every cent is an act of protecting their brand, and that in turn contributes (and *has* contributed) to their ridiculous success.

Whatever. Sounds like a waste of money to me. Have you ever compared an Android to a iPhone. The crap bloat ware alone would cause me to toss the device.

SJ wanted clean - simple - elegant. You do not need to spend 100M on lawyers to win the race.

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Yeah and the consumer (you, me and everyone else) got the shaft.

The only one that benefits from this is Apple. Apple doesnt give a damn about satisfying consumers, they only care about profits.

Is there a point behind your asinine rant? I don't think I can think of a technology company that satisfies its users needs more than Apple. And yes, they're good at it, and that satisfaction from consumers has garnered them success that in turn has led them to make a ******** of profit- and so on. Your childish insinuation that it somehow has to be either consumer satisfaction or profits is just that- insanely childish. Does Apple need to be on the verge of bankruptcy to be defined as giving a damn? Apple is more loved by more consumers than any time in it's history. Satisfaction surveys for its products ar eoff the charts. Product reviews by critics are the best in class. In turn, their sales are enormous. There's nothing wrong with the profits they're making, because consumers have spoken out and made it clear they believe the products are worth the asking price. And so Apple has been rewarded for its vision and its insane level of meticulousness.

If Apple doesn't 'give a damn' about consumers, please tell me who does. HP? Acer? And of the other interchangeable compute companies than can't be credited with an ounce of original innovation? Microsoft? Samsung? Who the **** cares about consumers under your definition? I think I'm being pretty objective when saying that Apple stick out from the group BECAUSE they give a damn about the consumer experience, and using technology in practical ways to empower people to do things they couldn't have done before.

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
As an Apple shareholder, I don't care if they spend double that amount. I'd really like to see Apple break Android just to prove that a company can't go around stealing IP and get away with it. Apple can't totally get rid of Android, but I'm hoping that whatever steps Apple can take it will drive up the cost of use for Android smartphone vendors and make it not such a freebie product. Apple's reserve cash pile likely grows about $6 billion every quarter by now, so $100 million is a definitely a drop in the bucket. If Apple could guarantee to break Android by spending a billion dollars of reserve cash, I'd tell them to go ahead and do it.

Google used an unfair advantage to leverage Android over every smartphone vendor in the world by giving away the OS for free with the sole purpose of taking the most market share from every company that sold smartphones. I hope even Microsoft is able to claw its way back and help take down Android if it isn't already too late. I hope Apple is able to negate every advantage Android has by flat-out going head to head with them whether in court or in profits.

I agree 100%, my friend. Even the part about windows:cool:

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Cost of doing business

Lyons points out that whether the $100 million figure is accurate doesn't really matter. Apple and all the other cell makers are simply jockeying for position and trying to gain leverage for what is likely an inevitable legal settlement. "In that sense, whatever Apple is spending on legal fees is probably money well spent," notes Lyons.

"That's life in the big city."
- Bob Morton (Miguel Ferrer, "RoboCop," 1987)

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I hear ya. Apple really, really needs to stop being a patent troll. I can't help but to feel less-than-happy when using their gear simply because of how childish they act. They can do so much better if they'd just be a little more mature.

Patent troll? Not really, they made the cell phone, into where it is today, the rest are hangers on, and blatant copiers, Samsung is the worst. why do you think Apple would just throw their hands up and say oh well.

----------

The first to innovate is not always the one to capitalize on the success. Just look at Kodak, they invented digital photography and are now bankrupt. A key to success has been the vision to use and apply innovation. If Apple’s competitors are allowed to steal ideas, the value in creating ideas is diminished.

Research, Kodak did not develop digital photography

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Apple's focus on Macs has also gone down the crapper. The Mac Pros get very little attention, they used to be awesome machines with constant updates from Apple, now theyre updated once every 18 months.

Mac Pros arn't interesting because of a number of reasons:
1) Intel hasn't done anything interesting on the Xeon scene.
2) Most people don't need a Xeon workstation.
3) Mobile is more interesting.

I get more productivity for less cost using my MBP than my Mac Pro, and while I agree there will be people who do want a heavyweight desktop, the vast majority of people don't need it.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I'm sure they're spending loads of cash on legal cases. But I don't take anything Dan Lyons says seriously, and you folks shouldn't either. Check his track record and see if he does better than the fortune teller at your local carnival. :)

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Host/Executive Producer,
The Tech Night Owl LIVE

Fortune teller at my local carnival said that I would get bilked out of $20. :)

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Google used an unfair advantage to leverage Android over every smartphone vendor in the world by giving away the OS for free with the sole purpose of taking the most market share from every company that sold smartphones

So you're saying that Linux, Apache, Safari, gcc, etc have unfair advantages?

Ah, you're against open source software

Last edited:

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Apple needs to be careful not to wreck its image. It will be very hard to lose a negative association, look at Microsoft. They played dirty in the past, and are stilled referred to as "Micro$oft" today.

I would want to associate Apple with innovation, not patent wars.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Where is your proof that Android has stolen IP? Your emotions / own opinions aren't valid - only solid evidence, i.e., law courts.

Since Apple have lost quite a few of law suits against Android, as the story states, your assertion isn't quite correct.

Unfair advantage? LOL. Its Google's choice to "give away" Android... Nothing unfair about that - no laws broken. A great deal of software is given away in return for services. Its fairly common practice. Even Apple give away some of its own software.... are they being unfair to their competitors, of course not!

Apple alone will never break Android. Like others have said, and microsoft have shown, Apple would gain more income by licensing out its technology to Google and others.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Love the evidence. Unfortunately, the anti-apple tend to ignore this.

I would want to associate Apple with innovation, not patent wars.

Contradict much? If you innovate, you better be damned well prepared to protect that innovation, wouldn't you agree?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
So $100 millions wasted and nothing to show for it? With lawsuits against Nokia, Samsung and Motorola this number should probably be close to $1 billion. Idiots.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

first off - lawyers are vultures

second - aapl has money to feed vultures

$100 million - is chump change from aapl cash pile

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So $100 millions wasted and nothing to show for it? With lawsuits against Nokia, Samsung and Motorola this number should probably be close to $1 billion. Idiots.

So Lyons pulls a number out of his arse, you demonstrate your top mathematical ability by multiplying it by ten, and you call Apple idiots?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
It's really not that absurd of a number. A partner probably bills $500/hr, and honestly a top litigator from NYC/DC has to bill more.

1,000 hours lets say - aka possibly only probably 40% of his billable hours in a year - is $500,000. Per year. This stuff has been going on for years. I also bet people are exclusively on this case and rack up more than 1,000 hours/year on it.

Then add in a team of partners overseeing, a horde of associates billing in at $300-450/hour, and so on.

Still a drop in the bucket to the end game cost. I would say it's money "well spent", but nothing about the billable hour is really well spent, so /shrug.

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Nothing to show for it??

It's a powerful deterrent to others. Message: screw with Apple and get tied up in litigation for god knows how long, and possibly deal with an injunction in a key market, to which Apple is practically indifferent.

Apple is using Samsung and Moto and HTC to mark their territory. Motorola for instance, already cited ongoing litigation with Apple as something that is causing them serious cash flow problems.

There is an ocean of other OEMs that are kept at bay by this. And if Apple successively does nothing, they can have no argument later. A show of half-hearted intention today results in a watering down of Apple's claims later.

Last edited:

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
So Lyons pulls a number out of his arse, you demonstrate your top mathematical ability by multiplying it by ten, and you call Apple idiots?

I'm sure this random macrumors poster has more intelligence than all of Apple's employees combined. He should call them up and offer his services as CEO.

Unbelievable how people can call something idiotic without an ounce of real knowledge about the context, stakes, and details of the situation.

Also, you people DO realize that Apple has like $100B in cash reserves.
$100M is one tenth of one percent of that. You make it sound as if they've spent a significant percentage of their $$ on this. As far as Apple's resources, it's insignificant, and I think they're in a better position to know how to spend their money. And that's assuming this # hasn't been over-inflated- which it certainly has. They haven't gotten to where they are by being morons. I wonder why some of you even visit this site and this board, because you seem to have nothing but venom and vitriol for every and any decision that apple makes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.