Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Apple should not be getting bitch-slapped by the likes of Google and Amazon but that's why Wall Street favors those companies over Apple as an investment vehicle. Why should either of those companies have better hardware than Apple at much less of a cost to consumers? :confused: It's OK if Apple products cost more but they'd better have the best hardware money can buy. Amazon shouldn't even come close to challenging Apple's iPad Mini with their Kindle Fire HDX. Apple doesn't need to be sitting on $150 billion in unused cash if they're just going to let a company like Amazon steal their tablet market share away right from under their nose. Amazon is rolling like a non-stop express train as a company while Apple is sitting in the station hoping some passengers are going to get on. Apple has to lure passengers onto their train by hook or by crook.:mad:

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I think at some point it'll integrate with the Key Chain functionality that they pulled late from iOS 7.

I also think Touch ID will be there. I can't imagine them not retaining parity in terms of functionality, especially when they've already put a lot of effort into selling it as a feature for the iPhone. Ultimately iPads are still mobile devices that have a lot of personal and sensitive information on them (possibly more than some phones given many do actual work on them), so Touch ID makes as much sense on the iPad as it does a phone IMHO.
For that reason 'actusl work' and ToichID being less secure.

And IPad keypad is larger and thus less tedious to use.

Are all reasons why it wont have.

----------

Big deal if does not have touch id, I do not see what all the hype is about a button that does not improve the performance, and cannot be accessed by third party apps. The new design, slimmer basel, and A7 processor has won me over.

The original iPhone didnt have an API accessible to third party apps. We all know how that went...

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I was going to purchase the iPad 5, but I've cancelled those plans due to iOS 7.

I don't care how powerful or sexy the hardware is, I'm not going to use an OS that OFFENDS me.
Offends you? Offends? Called you meanie names? Stole your lunch money? Tried to murder your mommy?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 110

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
... this analyst must've been drunk or lacks basic math skills. Nexus 7- 1280x800 = 1,024,000 pixels. Mini- 2048x1536 = 3,145,728 pixels.
... What gives??

Or spent more time researching :)

The Nexus 7 came out with retina in 2013 - 1920 x 1200 pixels (323 ppi)

On a different note, I have a query - I'm assuming that this Kuo guy doesn't predict anything but is getting leaks?

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
This guy is amazing....he's predicting everything we already know...genius!

johnhf

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
iPad Mini 2 will get Retina since everybody and their brother is doing it in similar form factor and at a lower pricepoints. To support Retina, it needs an -X processor with doubled memory bandwidth, so it's more than likely it's inheriting A6X from the iPad 4 of yesteryear. The reason original iPad Mini used A5 like an iPhone and not A5X like the iPad 3 is because the low resolution, just like iPad 2 did not need an A5X. Just like original iPad Mini being a shrink down of iPad 2 it will be essentially identical hardware wise as iPad 4 just in a smaller package, so no need to test against a new configuration.

iPad Mini 2 is not getting Touch ID due to cost as well as it's use of A6X which does not have the supporting circuitry. iPad 5 is getting it though, being the flagship, having A7X and not so tight bill of material.

Touch ID would be brilliant to enable multi-user support on iPad - where it actually makes sense as opposed to a phone, should Apple opt to go down this path. That would be a good enough reason to buy an iPad instead of a couple cheaper tablets for family, therefore get sales which would otherwise go to competition.

Exactly my thoughts. A Retina iPad needs the "X" and A7 goes hand in hand with Touch ID. The new Mini will probably go with the older A6X but they may keep the old Mini around at a lower price ($229?). The bigger, yet small and light, iPad with A7X and TouchID is going to be the showstopper and it will sell at any price.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
Apple's Media Event Predicted to See Retina iPad Mini and Thinner iPad, but N...

Indeed but I wish I had bought more RAM to my June 2012 rMBP and TouchID (along with faster processor) would be an excuse to get a new one! :D

Meh, it still would be no excuse for me...
But one of the main reasons I might be getting the 15" rMBP is indeed the processor, which is much faster than any of the others. I'm still not sure because of how much it costs, plus I'll be getting an iPad as well - hence my interest for this thread.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
I have no idea whether TouchID or gold are likely/unlikely on the new iPads, let alone the mini which is what I'm interested in, but I know that whilst I would be disappointed at no gold model, no TouchID would be a definite bad move on Apple's part.

I want a mini partly for play but also partly for business purposes, and the business community has already been raving about TouchID in the iPhone and saying that were it to come to the iPads it would further solidify Apple's domination of the business tablet sector that has so far been merely through default.

C

champ01

No touch ID on the new iPad's?

Not having this makes me happy actually. Lets hope its true. :)

ric275

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I can't see Touch ID coming yet. They kept Siri exclusive to iPhone 4S for a year before putting it on iPad. I think they will keep Touch ID iPhone 5s only for a while...

----------

No touch ID on the new iPad Mini 2?

Not having this makes me happy actually. Lets hope its true. :)

Why? Touch ID is an awesome implementation.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
iPad Mini 2 will get Retina since everybody and their brother is doing it in similar form factor and at a lower pricepoints. To support Retina, it needs an -X processor with doubled memory bandwidth, so it's more than likely it's inheriting A6X from the iPad 4 of yesteryear. The reason original iPad Mini used A5 like an iPhone and not A5X like the iPad 3 is because the low resolution, just like iPad 2 did not need an A5X. Just like original iPad Mini being a shrink down of iPad 2 it will be essentially identical hardware wise as iPad 4 just in a smaller package, so no need to test against a new configuration.

iPad Mini 2 is not getting Touch ID due to cost as well as it's use of A6X which does not have the supporting circuitry. iPad 5 is getting it though, being the flagship, having A7X and not so tight bill of material.

Touch ID would be brilliant to enable multi-user support on iPad - where it actually makes sense as opposed to a phone, should Apple opt to go down this path. That would be a good enough reason to buy an iPad instead of a couple cheaper tablets for family, therefore get sales which would otherwise go to competition.

^^^^This^^^^

And we won't see multi-user accounts on iPads until both the 9.7 and mini iPads have TouchID in 2014.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Will the iPad mini with retina be a popular Christmas present?

Just wondering?:confused:

If it's in gold and had Touch ID and was supply constrained it would probably be the fastest selling product in Apple history outside of any iPhone launches, along with an iPad 5 and MBPr would probably push Apple back to ~$600.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Touch ID to do what? Unlock and remember password for App Store? :confused:
I'm fine with remembering my passwords which we have all been doing for years :rolleyes:

So in other words there's no point in innovating because we've all been doing the same things for years. Glad not all companies think like you otherwise we'd still be using type writers!!

No one insists you have to use Touch ID.

I'm ecstatic about mini with retina. Question is, which processor? That will then determine which one I'd get :apple:

But why? We've all be using non retina displays for years and the G3 processor is surely fine!!

Justan00b

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2013
I really couldn't care less about touch ID on an iPad. What I really care about is a quad core option in the 13".

Anandtech.com has some EXCELLENT articles on how the dual-core procs at high speeds run circles around their quad-core brethren which run at slightly slower clock speeds.
Or did you really want a slower & worse performing big iPad, just so you could say "quad-core, ftw!"?

FatLip

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
on da moon
Touch ID is one of the greatest implementations ever. iPad 5 needs to have it.

that technology has been around for over 12 years in Asia, as well as other advanced battery kits, what apple should add is eye recognition, eves dropping while ipad is off to civilians as well as use of ipad while off to civilians not just NSA, also a way to monitor who else is logged into the root

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
that technology has been around for over 12 years in Asia, as well as other advanced battery kits, what apple should add is eye recognition, eves dropping while ipad is off to civilians as well as use of ipad while off to civilians not just NSA, also a way to monitor who else is logged into the root

The technology may have been around for years like a lot of things but it's how it's implemented that makes the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.