Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Didn't someone show a leaked screen of the ipad mini that only for the touch ID home button?

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
A7X in iPad and A7 in iPad Mini wouldn't make much sense... The whole purpose behind the X series was to increase graphics performance to drive the retina display. If both iPads are gonna have a retina display (2048x1536), then the iPad Mini is going to have significantly poorer graphics performance making it worse for games, which would actually probably be on of the primary applications of a smaller iPad, due to it's better "holdability."
Yes, it makes a lot of sense, think about it again.

Both may have 2048x1536, however, the mini has a substancially smaller battery compared to the full-size iPad and a smaller casing. The A7 has the same GFLOPS as the A6X, while being smaller and more power efficient, since it´s on 28nm HKMG. The A7 only lacks a bit of raw triangle throughput compared to the A6X, but that is not limiting it in any meaningful way.

The A7X would consume a lot more power when doing graphics related stuff, so it needs the bigger battery to compensate.

You also have to consider the price of the mini. Putting a retina panel into the iPad mini already would reduce Apple´s margins quite substancially and the retina display also adds to the power requirements of the device (if they are not going IGZO, which probably is even more expensive at first).

Therefore, A7 for the mini 2 and A7X for the iPad seems VERY likely.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Kuo has been fairly accurate with his claims over the past several years, earning him significant attention from the rumor community. He has, however, had some misses, as seen with his prediction that the Retina MacBook Pro...

I thought Kuo was a girl?

Yes, I am quite sure Kuo is female.

candle

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2013
touch ID probably only on the 5; the mini with retina and specs upgrade would be nice...

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
touch id on ipad 5

i don't understand why they would be predicting for no touch id in the ipad 5. there is a small possibility as far as i'm concerned but really if apple wanted to go forward and implement in the iphone why wouldn't it find it's way onto the ipad? and futhermore i can't put a lot of stock into it but that video of some guy tearing down his iphone 5s to fit the touch id into the ipad 5 shell and it fitting perfectly is pretty convincing it will be there. maybe this is just wishful thinking as i'm definitely getting an ipad 5 no matter what but really seems that everything points to touch id

Notafanboyyet

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
Bexley, London, England
The new 15" rMBP had better have a GPU, these rumours about no dedicated graphics are starting to make me nervous. I plan to game somewhat on that machine and I don't think Iris Pro 5200 in all it's glory can give me the gaming performance I'm after for the next 3-5 years

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
i don't understand why they would be predicting for no touch id in the ipad 5. there is a small possibility as far as i'm concerned but really if apple wanted to go forward and implement in the iphone why wouldn't it find it's way onto the ipad? and futhermore i can't put a lot of stock into it but that video of some guy tearing down his iphone 5s to fit the touch id into the ipad 5 shell and it fitting perfectly is pretty convincing it will be there. maybe this is just wishful thinking as i'm definitely getting an ipad 5 no matter what but really seems that everything points to touch id

I remember seeing that video too! It just wouldn't surprise me if there was no touch ID,no gold in either the mini or the IP5. I'd love to see a IP5 with touch ID and a gold mini with retina. I know it's wishful thinking though. Hopefully there's just retina in the mini and I'll be happy :)

maclyono

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
VT
Macbook Touch ID?

Surprised no one has made the connection between Touch ID and MacBooks yet. Imagine Mavericks and updated keychain/payment systems that allow for one touch web purchases and double as macbook security...

Maybe not this time around but the timing would be great and achievable even with limited Touch ID supply given the limited nature of mac sales.

:D

henriqueb

Suspended
Oct 20, 2013
Well, for me the lack of TouchID on the big iPad does not make sense.Is Apple really gonna wait 1 year for this?I mean, Apple folks probably have an iPad and they would love to have TouchID...the analyst is just guessing, he does not have all that information.He says that iPad mini retina will be in short supply...but Apple will do it.Before the iPhone event, Apple did not know that the 5s would be that sucessful.TouchID for the iPad was not decided this week, but months ago.-TouchID on the big iPad definitely won't put it in short supply.Now, touchID not in iPad mini, that makes sense,.

zappa2001

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
No touch ID on the new iPad's?

Not having this makes me happy actually. Lets hope its true. :)

This makes zero sense. Do you people realize you don't have to use it? It's like cup holders in a car. You can use them or not use them, but why be happy if you are the type that doesn't use them, for the car manufacturer to lose business because they don't include something you wouldn't use anyways?

Last edited:

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
The mini will get an A6, just like the 5c
Yes. That´s quite likely, actually. It wouldn´t have enough GPU performance for a retina display, though. Because that´s even less than the iPad 3 had, which got replaced by the iPad 4 with a much faster A6X.

Therefore I predict the following:

iPad mini (A6, no retina) - price reduction to $299 (WiFi - 16GB)
iPad mini (A7, retina) - starts at $499 (WiFi - 16GB)
iPad (A7X, Retina) - starts at $699 (WiFi - 16GB)

CrazyNurse

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I'm waiting to buy an iPad Mini 2.

It just sucks to see how Apple defined this category but is now playing catch up.

Samsung is the new Intel/Dell,while Google is the new MS.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
A7 is on par with the A6X from last years iPad 4 which has no problems, they need to be able to differentiate with the bigger iPad, give people a reason to pay more.

----------

Won't happen, there are no dual core haswell chips with the 5200.

Nothing would make me happier since I am buying now also.
Bigger screen isn't differentiation? I'm getting the full size iPad because I want the bigger screen.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
It's not about having to remember them, it's about saving you the bother of typing them in. How many times do you unlock your iDevices every day? For me it's 30-40x (sounds a lot but if you count it soon adds up), combined with passwords for app purchasing etc it can save a lot of time and effort.

People said the same about Siri, but now it only takes me 5-10 seconds to google something, send a message, set a timer as opposed to 30 seconds previously.

It all adds up.

Still not a deal breaker, though... For me, retina is more important. if TouchID is there, then good.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yes. That´s quite likely, actually. It wouldn´t have enough GPU performance for a retina display, though. Because that´s even less than the iPad 3 had, which got replaced by the iPad 4 with a much faster A6X.

Therefore I predict the following:

iPad mini (A7, retina) - starts at $499 (WiFi - 16GB)
iPad (A7X, Retina) - starts at $699 (WiFi - 16GB)

You predict Apple will increase the price of the 9.7" iPad $200 and the mini $160? Why? If the 5th gen iPad starts at $699 Apple just lost a sale from me.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
You predict Apple will increase the price of the 9.7" iPad $200 and the mini $160? Why? If the 5th gen iPad starts at $699 Apple just lost a sale from me.
Argh, these were actually EUR prices, not US. Thanks for the heads-up.

iPad mini (A7, retina) - starts at $399 (WiFi - 16GB)
iPad (A7X, Retina) - starts at $499 (WiFi - 16GB)

Seems more likely, no?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I love the gold color for iPhone 5S but i don't care for a gold iPad,I don't think gold suits a large (larger than phone) iPad.so I don't care about lack of gold color.
touch ID would be nice on at least iPad 5,but I'm interested in Mini 2,and lack of Touch ID is not really a deal breaker.
what I do really care about though is the retina screen which is a certainty at this point.

now the question is whether I can grab one in next few weeks?

I could see maybe a gold mini but not full size iPad. But I could also see it being on neither. It might be something that looks better on a smaller device like the iPhone.

----------

Argh, these were actually EUR prices, not US. Thanks for the heads-up.

iPad mini (A7, retina) - starts at $399 (WiFi - 16GB)
iPad (A7X, Retina) - starts at $499 (WiFi - 16GB)

Seems more likely, no?

Yes. Much better. Though a part of me still wonders if the $329 price wasn't taking future retina into account. When the 3rd gen iPad came out Apple didn't increase the price, they just reduced the price of iPad 2. Same thing with iPhone. iPhone 4 wasn't more expensive than the 3GS. I'm hoping Apple doesn't have to raise the price $60 to add retina.

DOSNET

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
A small increase to say $349 or $369 for the entry model is a possibility, and Apple could justify that and probably get away with it, without a drop in sales, given the level of anticipation for this new Mini.

A quick search did not reveal, if you are right. I've always thought him to be of the male persuasion, but that's just probably because he's always referred to as 'he' and 'his' on tech blogs; never seen a picture of him. Perhaps a LinkedIn search might reveal the answer to that question mark.

Really? I think Ming-Chi Kuo is male. I can't seem to find anything that proves it either way though. It seems like most references to Kuo always use male pronouns.

Only person with that name I could find (don't think it's the right person though, might be):

http://gis-taiwan.ntu.edu.tw/page/lecturer.php

If it is the right person, then tech blogs have been making a mistake for years.

Last edited:

Jayelectronics

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
If they don't put a retina display on the next Ipad mini then there would be absolutely no reason to release a new Ipad mini. So with that being said I would be shocked to see a new Ipad mini without retina. I'm hoping for one I would like to purchase.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Will we see any new features like 802.11ac or USB 3.0? Some new features would be nice, otherwise I can't really justify upgrading from my iPad3 to an iPad5 for "catch up" improvements.

Faster CPU and GPU is always nice, but my iPad3 actually is still very fast.

I love the "rationale" column descriptions--"thick and heavy iPad 4". I don't recall anyone ever saying the iPad 4 is thick OR heavy! "Easier to carry and aesthetically pleasing". Well that right there is worth me spending $800 on a new one! (NOT!). "Image quality on par with competitors". Apple playing "catch up" again. "Photo taking on par with competitors". Wouldn't be caught dead taking pictures with my iPad. And, again, playing "catch up" with others. "Better computing power". My ipad 3 is plenty fast enough still.

I sure hope Apple has other tricks up their sleeve or this event will be a real YAWNER.

thrilllho

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
I'm waiting to buy an iPad Mini 2.

It just sucks to see how Apple defined this category but is now playing catch up.

I have to agree with this. It's sad to see them just putting out incremental updates. Yes, the iPads are truly solid products, but the competition is catching/passing them, and they need to not rest on their laurels.

Don't intentionally gimp the mini. Some of us prefer the form factor, Apple. Don't punish us.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Kuo has been fairly accurate with his claims over the past several years, earning him significant attention from the rumor community. He has, however, had some misses, as seen with his prediction that the Retina MacBook Pro...

I thought Kuo was a girl?

It's an AI. :cool:

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Yes. Much better. Though a part of me still wonders if the $329 price wasn't taking future retina into account. When the 3rd gen iPad came out Apple didn't increase the price, they just reduced the price of iPad 2. Same thing with iPhone. iPhone 4 wasn't more expensive than the 3GS. I'm hoping Apple doesn't have to raise the price $60 to add retina.
I think the $329 with retina and an A7 would hit Apple´s margins way too much. The $329 introductory price probably was to leave a bit of a headroom for future price reductions. That $30 difference instead of going $299 always struck me as odd, anyway.

Will we see any new features like 802.11ac or USB 3.0?
Well, I certainly hope for 802.11ac, but for some reason I doubt it. USB 3.0 would also be great, since the lightning connector is still on USB 2.0 speeds (running into a wall at 28MB/sec with my 5s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.