Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
'Plastic' and 'iPhone' in the same sentence, hoo boy. I can hear the panties twisting a mile away.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Riddle me this...

...I have a subsidized iPhone 5 and a coworker got hers unsubsidized and unlocked...I have grandfathered unlimited data, unlimited texts and the 450 min with rollover...she has grandfathered unlimited data, unlimited texts and 450 min with rollover....our bills are the same every month (at least for the last three months they were exact) what advantage does she get for paying full price for her device other than being unlocked? what additional money am I paying towards AT&T? We both like AT&T and will more than likely both keep service with them for two years...I can not see any advantage to buying unsubsidized. It's not like we have another major GSM carrier in the US...don't even mention Tmobile we're in Houston the better service is with AT&T

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
No need to insult people who enjoy Apple's products. Aluminum is nicer, plastic at half the price will help and at least attract customers with lower budgets. Too bad it's so far away....

I'm just saying it is like everything else. First nobody needs a larger screen then apple does it and it is the bee's knees and know an even larger iphone when people complained that over 4.3 was too large. Just saying its kind of hypocritical to say anything apple doesn't do as wrong when what apple does is right. And this is coming from someone who users an iphone and ipad mini.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Assuming they don't cripple it by witholding any iOS functionality or "China Only" frequency support - and assuming iOS adds some interesting features over the next year - this will be a killer seller.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
2014 too far away for a cheaper iPhone with 4.5" display.

Just an incremental update to a 5S for 2013 is not enough.

2013 / 2014 just may be a rough run for Apple in the smartphone world, if this is all they're doing with their phone lineup.

Times have changed, Apple did too little, soon to be too late, it's a shame. All that money, all those Engineers and this how they're approaching the smartphone market over the next 2 years? Big mistake, imo.

I think Apple shareholders would agree with you.

----------

How does a bigger phone with a cheap screen make more sense than the currently priced phone with a bigger retina screen? Who not release iPhone 5S with a 4" screen for $100-150, and at the same time iPhone 6 with a 5" retina screen for $200-250.

It would be nice to have a choice between a smaller display and a larger display (not 3.5" & 4", but between a 4" and a 4.7-5" display).

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
What a crock of bs. If this really is Apple's plan, they should be ashamed of themselves.

sadly they probably will do this and will still sell a ton because if those who buy apple products cared about the latest and greatest, apple would have had to change awhile ago

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Well, I've been out of contract on my iPhone 4 for some time now and today, treated myself to a Lumina 620 windows 8 mobile ... just to compare with the iPhone and to see if indeed I could live without an Apple phone.

The answer is a categorical yes! The 620 is a cheap phone yes (£150) but I have to say, the experience of using it is far more exciting than anything apple currently have to offer. Ironically, I think the lack of innovation in the iPhone 5 has actually had a negative brand effect; as all my friends with them are now looking elsewhere after owning for only a matter of months.

All this aside, with the Galaxy out soon, if apple don't get their **** together, they're gonna loose SIGNIFICANT market share! Theyve lost me as I've enjoyed my windows experience and the new galaxy looks sooo tempting! What have apple got to offer ... Nothing till 2014 ... Laughable!

NB the available windows apps are poor yes, but I really like the OS - it has some SUPERB features and enough to keep me away from Apple. It's not perfect, but more recently I've realised I don't need a fancy phone anymore now I have my iPad ... And the cheap 620 fills that gap nicely!!!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So they are going to make the "big" iPhone the cheap model?

Is this supposed to be some kind of reverse psychology trick (Big iPhone == cheap...big Android phone == cheap)

I wouldn't mind multiple sizes as long as they were the same resolution and not another aspect ratio.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I don't doubt Apple is working on a "cheaper" iPhone for "emerging markets" but I do find it hard to believe it will have a larger screen compared to the regular iPhone, assuming the "cheaper" iPhone is also going to be for sale in the US.

It just doesn't feel right that Apple (in the US) would make someone who wants to go with a larger screen buy a "cheaper" product to do so. I just don't buy Apple would want their customers to feel that way.

So this story is either completely BS (which I'm inclined to believe) or there's much more to it.

I don't buy $330 either. As we've seen from analysts price predictions on other Apple products, Apple will probably price it $50-100 more. :)

It means iPhone 6 will also be 4.5" in 2014 when this arrives.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Nonsense!

If they wait until 2014 the price of the iPhone 5 is almost the same when iPhone 5s comes out. The only cheap iPhone that will be available to the market is the older model when a newer one comes out. I don't understand how people compare iPhone from other competing products when the prices are all the same from GS3 to HTC One when the product is just released for $199. They tend to put competitor products on sale for a much cheaper but that's how they compete with Apple. I know some people will argue that a competing product has a bigger memory better graphics and quad core processors for their base price. Then will leave that to the consumers which product they prefer because Apple will never put all the power hungry chips to compromise experience. Besides Apple never compete with how powerful their product but they like to promote design and experience and that's the same path I took. They got me on this and I enjoy their product and never look back since the iMac mini G4 and it simply works. For me!

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Apple is loosing its lead in smartphones to samsung. Why might you ask? Well, one reason for some is screen size. I think Apple increased the screen size to 4 inches hoping that was enough, but with the mediocre sales numbers of the iPhone 5, they would be stupid not to be pursuing or at least messing around with a bigger iPhone.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
...I have a subsidized iPhone 5 and a coworker got hers unsubsidized and unlocked...I have grandfathered unlimited data, unlimited texts and the 450 min with rollover...she has grandfathered unlimited data, unlimited texts and 450 min with rollover....our bills are the same every month (at least for the last three months they were exact) what advantage does she get for paying full price for her device other than being unlocked? what additional money am I paying towards AT&T? We both like AT&T and will more than likely both keep service with them for two years...I can not see any advantage to buying unsubsidized. It's not like we have another major GSM carrier in the US...don't even mention Tmobile we're in Houston the better service is with AT&T

Lots of people travel internationally and don't want to pay ridiculous rates.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmm, the price looked good, the plastic is meh, then it mentioned the screen size...

Well, that's BS because unless Apple are going to fragment the developers then who the hell wants an even long iPhone with a 4.5" screen?
And thicker too? No thanks, I would rather buy the new Nokia Lumia 720 I think. Sure less apps but runs just as smooth, a fresh interface, has a bigger battery then the iPhone 5 and still a good camera.

I fear Apple is going to become the market follower and the Xerox copier if you starts releasing cheaper bigger devices, a 5 or 6" device etc, because an iPhone with a 5" screen IMO is utterly pointless with the same iOS as we have now?

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Oh, don't tell me, we have to wait 1 year in order to verify that this rumor was true, ok, will wait, I'm really sure this rumor is true.

</sarcasm>

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
It would be nice to have a choice between a smaller display and a larger display (not 3.5" & 4", but between a 4" and a 4.7-5" display).
I agree, however there's a few fatal flaws in this line of thinking.

1) Common sense has been applied
2) The concept of choices has been implemented (followers hate having to decide)
3) Apple would run the risk of increasing sales volume.
4) It would increase profits. Apples off shore accounts are already full.

Otherwise it's not a bad idea. :D

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

Prepaid. I dont think I can go back to postpaid now that I've taste the bill of prepaid, despite lacking a quality LTE service at this point. Im on ATT towers for >50% less. Unl minutes and texts , approx 2gb data (shady form of unlimited)

Family plans and FAN discounts make att more appealing, but I have neither.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I only wish Apple could move faster. The market is out there, though Apple currently doesn't have a suitable product. The potential buyers are thus choosing Android devices, which obviously doesn't help the iOS market share. I hope Apple can respond before it may be too late for their product to matter.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Plastic... yuck.

There is such a thing as premium feeling plastic. Me personally id prefer a plastic case. My nexus 4 is made of glass and like my iphone I feel the need to baby it. I'd love something more durable like plastic or maybe even metal, not metal like the iphone 5 though I had to baby that phone worse than my 4 and 4S and it still scratched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.