Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
im sorry

people complaining about this are straight up losers.

your phone is a tool. its meant to be used..... whether you put a case on it or not, whether you put a screen protector on it or not.
lol

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
im sorry

your phone is a tool. its meant to be used..... whether you put a case on it or not, whether you put a screen protector on it or not.
That’s crazy. So you buy a hundred grand Merc and the dealer damages the bodywork and puts the three foot deep scratch in the paintwork but you don’t worry about it because it’s a tool. It gets you from A to B

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Depending on your budget, I would consider Apple Care for it (10$/month) and going without any screen protector? You have already lost around 50$ on this experience, so it might be well worth it for your peace of mind. I remember that at Apple Store in Geneva (before the pandemic) they were applying Belkin screen protectors using these machines. I was putting a screen protector on my father’s iPhone 7 and I remember the store employee smiling cheekily and saying, “Let’s hope it goes well!”. I thought the guy was kidding, apparently not! ??‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: JAllen2021

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
im sorry

When someone has paid a £1k+ for a phone and the retailer scratches it applying something as simple as a screen protector, you’re hardly a ‘loser’ for being a bit narked about it. Let’s not be ridiculous here.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
im sorry

Yes, that's why instead of carrying my phone in my pocket I drag it after my bike.

On a serious note, go get that fixed asap OP. You'll get annoyed everytime you feel the scratches.

Reactions: symphony

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Those scratches will polish out since you got the silver, uncoated stainless. I'm sure there are threads that tell you which metal polish to buy and how to do it.

I try to avoid these types of issues by never letting Apple employees touch my phone. I just had to get a replacement for my Pro Max and the Apple Store employee whipped out a new box and started ripping it open before I told him to hold his horses, and that I don't need assistance unboxing and turning on the new phone lol. I really wish employees would ask before doing that. When I bought an $1800 TV from Fry's, I learned after purchasing, as I was walking out the door, that it's their required policy that every TV be visually inspected for scratches and to make sure it turns on before it leaves the store. Just what I want... to unbox my $1800 TV in some filthy store. Yeah, never buying a TV from Fry's again.

Last edited:

d.best.5205622

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
Sorry about what happened. If you put the phone in a case, will you see it?

If you plan on taking the phone back for exchange, assuming that on is available, there is no guarantee that you won’t get other imperfections. You might want to reconsider. You might feel differently. Hope it all works out.

One other thought. Do you still have your old phone? If so, you might consider mailing the phone back and reordering. Good luck.

I’d put on a case. “Out of sight out of mind”. It still works doesn’t it? Get over it and go on with life...

jordysak

Suspended
Jan 8, 2021
iPhone lottery is the worst thing. I got a replacement 11 Pro Max and it had a very visible blue hue just at the top notch area, speck of dust under the camera and a micro scratch (visible in certain light/angles) in the space between the second and third camera. Decided to just get the display replaced and now the screen is good. There’s never a perfect iPhone!
did you keep it at the end? The 11 pro max with those issues.. just asking out of curiosity

FunkiFuriaku

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2014
I don’t use a case. My iPhone 11 Pro silver looks flawless. That’s why this scratch bothers me, cuz #1 it’s worse than my previous iPhone and #2 it came like that, it didn’t happen when I used it.

Yeah, I’ll see what happens with the supervisor. But I had both silver and graphite reserved. They’re the last ones. I was going to cancel the graphite but I guess I’m keeping it. But I really wanted white. ?

at least me and the supervisor will find out if the machine does scratch it. Cuz when I watch them do it, they had to squeeze it into the frame.

Hopefully PVD won’t get scratched by plastic!
My pacific blue iPhone pro max got scratched on the rail and camera ring by a brand new sealed micro fiber cloth... Well yeah explain that ?‍♂️

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Let the Apple employee inspect your iPhone before you put the screen protector on and verify that you have no scratches on it
This way you’ll have no problems afterwards if something goes wrong

Reactions: Nhwhazup

MaxGolden12

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2020
IMG_1297.jpeg

This just happened to a family member with the Deep Purple 14 PM at the Apple Store. A brand new type of screen protector installation they use scratched the top of the phone. You can see the perfectly straight scratch.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
These are retail store employees hired for their diversity and customer facing qualities, not experienced Foxconn employees.
A former USG "China Hand" gotta' say I just L O V E your avatar. Would you be willing to post it so I can use it..." "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." XieXie!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Let the Apple employee inspect your iPhone before you put the screen protector on and verify that you have no scratches on it
This way you’ll have no problems afterwards if something goes wrong
Yes to this. I had a battery change at Apple and I sat with the guy and made sure we both agreed it had zero scratches on it. They scratched it pretty good during the process and I ended up getting a new phone.

MaxGolden12

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2020
How is it even possible to scratch a phone whilst putting in a screen protector? I just can’t fathom how they do it.

With the tool they used to install the screen protector on the phone from yesterday, the part the holds the iPhone into place from the top is apparently hard enough to scratch the coloured stainless steel. Not sure what that part is made of, but it should not be used anymore, at least not on stainless steel iPhones. Hopefully the rumoured titanium frame on the upcoming 15 Pro models will be more durable.

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
I’ve never heard of these official screen protectors. What is the advantage over the kind you just buy online and install yourself?

It's just Belkin brand screen protector. Only difference is they use this machine to place the phone in to get a perfect alignment and bubble/dust free installation.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
With the tool they used to install the screen protector on the phone from yesterday, the part the holds the iPhone into place from the top is apparently hard enough to scratch the coloured stainless steel. Not sure what that part is made of, but it should not be used anymore, at least not on stainless steel iPhones. Hopefully the rumoured titanium frame on the upcoming 15 Pro models will be more durable.

Amazing such a flawed process was ever passed by Apple, I’d imagine it’s cost them a lot in replacements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.