Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
The OP clearly has an obsessive personality but also seems to have had an unlucky experience. I had my 12 pro screen protector installed at the apple store with no issues. I am on the iUp program so minor scratches arnt an issue since the phone isnt really mine anyway and i will get a new one next year and case it till then. There is no perfect iphone.
Out of curiosity, what color is your iPhone? I know the phones with SS frames are subject to show scratches more easily compared to other colors.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Hello everyone! I just opened it and I found this little problem on the rear glass! What do you think I should do? Everything else is perfect! Thank you.
depends how often you stare just at the back of your phone, uf it is a lot and you don't stare at the screen then return it.

GDuke12

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
I this year have a clear case on my 12 Pro. It’s a Liquid Crystal Spigen one. Actually like the feel and i think it best suits the phone. Issue I have is I obsess, and feel the next to clean every time I see a spec of dust (but i’m resisting).
I ordered an Apple Silicone Case, but don’t think I’m going to pick it up. I watched some YouTube reviews and it was pointed out the bezels are slightly visible.
I could then foresee iPhone 5 style paint chipping, can anyone vouch that this metal is exposed (see attached image).
654D03F1-953A-4C0C-B6FF-60A33325FC16.png

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
That’s exactly how the Apple MagSafe silicone cases are. You can see the metal edge just like your pic.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Maybe it’s your dry skin and nails causing the damage
Very easy to insult someone over the internet. Try doing it to someone to their face a see what happens.

Any way that suck op. I know it’s a phone but it’s still an expensive thing so I can see why this is upsetting. I always try to keep things in perspective when I’m pissed at something.

• Love
Reactions: JUCJ85 and symphony

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Very easy to insult someone over the internet. Try doing it to someone to their face a see what happens.

Any way that suck op. I know it’s a phone but it’s still an expensive thing so I can see why this is upsetting. I always try to keep things in perspective when I’m pissed at something.

I have no problem insulting someone to their face. But thanks for the quote 10 pages later.

shah1

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
These shiny bands are asking for trouble tbh.. For some reason this years DLC/PVD coating isn't the best. My S6 Graphite SS watch has a small but noticeable scratch (under bright lighting) and I've literally babied the watch and also using the sports band.

riotrhythm

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2015
I can understand why this would bother you. Wouldn't bother me, but I also have a "**** happens" attitude and use-iPhone-as-a-tool type of mentality. Plus i'm on iUP with AC+. Glad they got you another one. Apple is usually pretty good about that.

Reactions: symphony

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
OP, why not just have an Apple store rep apply the screen protector for you manually, given your physical issues you mentioned earlier? You can avoid all of this nonsense and headache. Have them give the screen a wipe down, use the dust remover that they use that covers the whole screen, and just align the screen protector manually. Now that the phone has a flat screen, installation is very simple.

Reactions: ocva and symphony

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
Yeah that's a pretty solid summation. I am still on the fence this year but am starting to get the "itch" for the first time since picking up my 8+ on launch day. The screen protection I had installed the day I got it is still on there, the lady who installed it at the Verizon store did it by hand. I have installed other screen protection by hand with no problems. If I bite the bullet it will be done by me or by a store employee by hand.

I'd like to think that Apple might have tested this when developing the phones or at least have had Belkin test the install process before offering it. Either they did and didn't receive these results or brushed it off. Who knows, your guess is as good as mine because that ship sailed. On that note I applaud the OP for reporting it and for getting a new device to replace it. I definitely agree it should have been replaced so good on Apple for doing that. If that happened to me the first time, I'd have never have let someone do that by machine the second time and that's where the confusion sets in. I understand the OP has a shaky hand and is unable to do it, so there's that. Pretty sure there are other options though to have screen protection done. Whatever the case it's good to get this out there so others are aware of what might happen.

I agree with a few of the comments. No need to obsess with minor imperfections--unless it impacts performance, that said out of the box, a phone or a car or whatever, should be as close to perfect as possible. Wear caused during ownership is one thing--that's life. Out of the box, brand new, whatever it is, I'm expecting as close to perfect as possible. Apple made it right in this case and that's a good thing. Same way as when my auto dealership scratched paint on my vehicle, they fixed it, no cost to me and provided me with a rental.
I am guessing that the Belkin machine at Apple was designed around the rounded edges for the iphones; with the 12 it’s of course now square ... maybe that’s part of the issue :-/

Reactions: staggerlee41

GDuke12

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
That’s exactly how the Apple MagSafe silicone cases are. You can see the metal edge just like your pic.
We reckon that unprotected area could scratch/chip.
Before this year Apple has the bottom of their cases open. I always feel they give me a reason not to buy one 😞

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
15 years ago I bought a Les Paul guitar for $2,500. It's a stunning instrument. For that price, I applied a plastic film on the body as well as the pick guard as to prevent scratches from playing. Not only that, but I absolutely do not strum—I merely pick and pluck very softly and lightly. 15 years later, it still looks brand new and never used.

Have you seen guitars from professional guitarists? This is the Edge's Les Paul. Look at how disgusting it looks.

View attachment 973504
Looks like its been enjoyed, and used as a tool to create music, which is what it is meant for. And its funny people pay more for "relic" guitars that are made to look like this right out of the factory. The ultimate poser statement I guess.

I understand the problem the OP has. I'd be furious if Apple scratched my brand new phone I paid a mint for. That being said, I appreciate the scratches and "patina" I put on my stuff as I use and enjoy it. Makes it feel like its mine, comfortable and familiar, broken in to me. I understand others feel differently. I keep my stuff for a few years and don't resell, typically give away to family and friends after I'm done with it.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
To clarify on some things, my issue is with Apple scratching my new iPhone or coming scratched out of the box. Not about getting scratches all together. Some people are missing the point, I don’t have an issue with getting scratches from my own personal use.

My iPhone 11 Pro (which I’ve had for a year) is flawless, so why I would accept an iPhone 12 Pro “upgrade” when the metal band is more scratched up than my iPhone 11 Pro?

The scratches on the iPhone 12 Pro is too pronounced to be polished, nor should I be even doing this on a new iPhone.

I can not install a screen protector myself. But I bought a screen protector from Apple that you do at home, so I’ll try that or I’ll just take it to ghost armor for an install since they told me they can do it by hand.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
The OP clearly has an obsessive personality but also seems to have had an unlucky experience. I had my 12 pro screen protector installed at the apple store with no issues. I am on the iUp program so minor scratches arnt an issue since the phone isnt really mine anyway and i will get a new one next year and case it till then. There is no perfect iphone.
There are perfect iPhones, because I’ve had them.
Yeah that's a pretty solid summation. I am still on the fence this year but am starting to get the "itch" for the first time since picking up my 8+ on launch day. The screen protection I had installed the day I got it is still on there, the lady who installed it at the Verizon store did it by hand. I have installed other screen protection by hand with no problems. If I bite the bullet it will be done by me or by a store employee by hand.

I'd like to think that Apple might have tested this when developing the phones or at least have had Belkin test the install process before offering it. Either they did and didn't receive these results or brushed it off. Who knows, your guess is as good as mine because that ship sailed. On that note I applaud the OP for reporting it and for getting a new device to replace it. I definitely agree it should have been replaced so good on Apple for doing that. If that happened to me the first time, I'd have never have let someone do that by machine the second time and that's where the confusion sets in. I understand the OP has a shaky hand and is unable to do it, so there's that. Pretty sure there are other options though to have screen protection done. Whatever the case it's good to get this out there so others are aware of what might happen.

I agree with a few of the comments. No need to obsess with minor imperfections--unless it impacts performance, that said out of the box, a phone or a car or whatever, should be as close to perfect as possible. Wear caused during ownership is one thing--that's life. Out of the box, brand new, whatever it is, I'm expecting as close to perfect as possible. Apple made it right in this case and that's a good thing. Same way as when my auto dealership scratched paint on my vehicle, they fixed it, no cost to me and provided me with a rental.
The second time was done because I felt like it was insinuated by the supervisor that their machine couldn’t have scratched it because their tool is plastic, trying to point the fault back on to me.

I wanted to be wrong about their tool scratching it, but it turned out I was right. And the replacement iPhone was wasted.

With the graphite iPhone, I didn’t want to use the iPhone without protection because I was going to wait until Apple restocked the silver models, while also seeing if this color would grow on me.

I’ve seen the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro screens getting their scratched easily, so I needed a screen protector since I didn’t want to risk damaging it. Also I strongly believed the PVD coating wouldn’t get scratched by their plastic tool.

In the off chance that I would like the graphite, I wanted the screen protector installed immediately after the box was opened, so I got it done with Apple. Because if I didn’t like the graphite by the time silver was restocked, then I would also be able to get a refund for the screen protector.

After the install, the scratches appeared on graphite band and I also noticed that weird defect on the back glass, so it was pointless again to keep.

Reactions: chadmclark

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
I suppose I should have expected it to be that much inflated to be honest. I had in my head about £15, but hey. The Spigen ones are great and the jig doesn’t scratch you phone which is good.
Did you buy this one?

That's the Spigen Protector I bought and it went on perfectly with no marks to the phone.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011

GDuke12

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Reactions: Matthew.H

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Do you have the pro or regular 12? How tight does the Spigen fitting tray go on the phone? Thanks.
I have the Pro. The tray fits snug enough that it doesn't move about but it's not so tight that it would cause scratches. Use both protectors from my pack as I returned my first 12 Pro as the screen was a bit warm and the battery was all over the place. My current 12 Pro PB has a nice crisp screen and good battery so far. Used the tray to install on both phones and no marks on either.
I'd be less worried about scratching a regular 12 anyway as it's matte finish.

Reactions: outlawarth

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
I have the Pro. The tray fits snug enough that it doesn't move about but it's not so tight that it would cause scratches. Use both protectors from my pack as I returned my first 12 Pro as the screen was a bit warm and the battery was all over the place. My current 12 Pro PB has a nice crisp screen and good battery so far. Used the tray to install on both phones and no marks on either.
I'd be less worried about scratching a regular 12 anyway as it's matte finish.
Perfect. Thanks.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
The irony.
When you go back, take a roll blue tape and hand it over to the installed so that he can cover your frame first.
If your having an screen protector installed at the Apple Store you shouldn't need to cover your new phone in tape to stop the machine from damaging it. If the machine can't install the protector without causing damage to the phone then it's a pretty worthless piece of equipment.

Reactions: chadmclark

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
We reckon that unprotected area could scratch/chip.
Before this year Apple has the bottom of their cases open. I always feel they give me a reason not to buy one 😞

I’ve had all silicone cases with the bottom open and prefer them much more than this year’s style. The charging port is made out of hard plastic that pretty much digs into your pinky if you rest it there. Just returned mine.

Reactions: blairh

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Did you buy this one?

That's the Spigen Protector I bought and it went on perfectly with no marks to the phone.

Yeah that’s the one I bought. So easy to apply and a tenner for 2 protectors for both my wife’s and my 12 was a bargain. Unlike some of the crappy tempered glass protectors, the Spigen ones don’t crack under the slightest of drops too .

Reactions: Matthew.H

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Just when my previous screen protector alignment tool scratched my iPhone yesterday, they let me exchange it. This time I got THEM to install it. And they scratched it even worse!!!

Yes!

To get it align perfectly and quickly I guess. The guy removed the original white film screen protector that was packaged with it and immediately put it in the installer contraption that they clamped in.

And yet the managed to get one spec of dust at the edge.

Honestly don't bother with "screen protector" you don't need it, they don't scratch and it feels better to use without one - and you screw up the sides of your phone getting it applied.

Reactions: symphony
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.