Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Check out Ping! for iPhone

Though it would be nice to create an app to msg BBM from iPhone

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
My wife and I are using Ping. It does a really nice job. Although I've never used BBM, it seems pretty similar to what everyone is describing, and it's free.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
I have Blipr:) You can send messages along with different sounds. Only costs .99. Link and my ID are in my signature!

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
iPhone SMS is better than BBM anyways

SMS isn't free. The idea that you can 'text' any iPhone user for free is the equivalent of BBM - which would be amazing. No need for signing up for IM clients or worrying that your friend has that IM client app installed. Just give out a your cellphone number and it will show an iPhone icon by the contact.

The only true way to get a BBM experience for the iPhone is through Apple. It has to be made by Apple. Go submit feedback to Apple for the iPhone.

Why wouldn't you want that feature? Even if you didn't use it, you would rather not have an option? That sounds completely asinine.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
SMS isn't free. The idea that you can 'text' any iPhone user for free is the equivalent of BBM - which would be amazing.
BBM uses the BlackBerry's data plan, just like third-party IM applications on iPhone. Why create a system that only iPhone owners can use--doesn't that limit it, locking people in?

No need for signing up for IM clients or worrying that your friend has that IM client app installed.

You can't message another user on BBM with their phone number, AFAIK. You have to use their phone's unique PIN number. The big downside is that if you get a replacement BlackBerry, everyone has to re-add you to their BBM.

That's not an elegant solution. This means you need a non-device specific user identifier. Like, you know, an IM username.

The only true way to get a BBM experience for the iPhone is through Apple. It has to be made by Apple. Go submit feedback to Apple for the iPhone.

Apple would almost certainly create such a system using MobileMe. So, essentially, you want Apple to make iChat (an IM client) for iPhone; it would be installed and activated by default.

Why wouldn't you want that feature? Even if you didn't use it, you would rather not have an option? That sounds completely asinine.

We already have the option. It's called the App Store. There are plenty of good IM clients. They can be improved, sure, but that's a problem with the client, not the protocol. Creating a new iPhone-to-iPhone only IM protocol would not be a good idea. It would probably be popular, and I'd probably use it, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Honestly, the best idea would for MMS, with its larger capacity, to replace SMS, and for MMS messages to be included in a data plan (since MMS uses data anyway). The MMS protocol is installed by default on every modern cell phone, on iPhone SMS/MMS supports BBM style threading, and it supports the "just enter the phone number" feature you propose.

The second best idea would be a new iChat program, installed by default. But that has a bunch of problems. What if an iPhone user doesn't have MobileMe? Would it use straight AIM (which is what MobileMe uses anyway)? What if a new user doesn't enter his AIM username?

It gets sticky. BBM does, again, require the two users to exchange PIN numbers, which is an 8 (IIRC) character alphanumeric code. So, a user has to email his PIN to the other user. How is that different from sending an email saying "I'm on AIM: myimhandle?"

I dunno. I love the BBM client, but I don't think we need a new protocol, just a better client.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
BBM uses the BlackBerry's data plan, just like third-party IM applications on iPhone. Why create a system that only iPhone owners can use--doesn't that limit it, locking people in?

You can't message another user on BBM with their phone number, AFAIK. You have to use their phone's unique PIN number. The big downside is that if you get a replacement BlackBerry, everyone has to re-add you to their BBM.

That's not an elegant solution. This means you need a non-device specific user identifier. Like, you know, an IM username.

Apple would almost certainly create such a system using MobileMe. So, essentially, you want Apple to make iChat (an IM client) for iPhone; it would be installed and activated by default.

We already have the option. It's called the App Store. There are plenty of good IM clients. They can be improved, sure, but that's a problem with the client, not the protocol. Creating a new iPhone-to-iPhone only IM protocol would not be a good idea. It would probably be popular, and I'd probably use it, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Honestly, the best idea would for MMS, with its larger capacity, to replace SMS, and for MMS messages to be included in a data plan (since MMS uses data anyway). The MMS protocol is installed by default on every modern cell phone, on iPhone SMS/MMS supports BBM style threading, and it supports the "just enter the phone number" feature you propose.

The second best idea would be a new iChat program, installed by default. But that has a bunch of problems. What if an iPhone user doesn't have MobileMe? Would it use straight AIM (which is what MobileMe uses anyway)? What if a new user doesn't enter his AIM username?

It gets sticky. BBM does, again, require the two users to exchange PIN numbers, which is an 8 (IIRC) character alphanumeric code. So, a user has to email his PIN to the other user. How is that different from sending an email saying "I'm on AIM: myimhandle?"

I dunno. I love the BBM client, but I don't think we need a new protocol, just a better client.

Just wanted to add that you don't exclusively need a PIN to connect with someone on BBM. Their email and I think username work as well.

I would love to see something like BBM on the iPhone. A constant state of connection with your contacts that uses data would be a great addition to the iPlatform, IMO. BBM is much like an IM client and a little like Twitter/FB (status updates) and I think it could take the iPhone world by storm now that Apple's phone has become so ubiquitous.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

My point was that yes you download 100s of Apps, but not everyone uses the same IM protocol. So if Apple implemented one for iPhone, users wouldn't need to sign up for screennames. And we'd get first party app benefits such as running in the background or other cool features.

Also, you can just use your phone number. No screenames, PINS. So when you have a friend who has an iPhone ICON by their name (if they allowed the privacy feature) you can do a iPhone-Text-Chat to them. You won't waste a text and since you have mandatory data, it will just go through that.

And why would you only want to chat with only iPhone users? Because why would Apple spend time/money to create something for every other phone in the market? It would just be a special-iChat for iPhones. If you want to talk to non-iPhone friends, use a text. It would all be in one app, texting/iPhone Text Chatting (like the Palm Pre).

I just don't get why people like less options. Even if you're never going to use this feature, why would you NOT want the option? Options are nice and give people choice.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I love the way Android OS integrates with Google Talk. It reminds me a lot of BBM except better because I can message anyone with a GTalk account regardless of how they're logged into the service.

BBM is overrated for the fact it's limited only to other BB users. Apple would be stupid to integrate a BBM like application that is exclusive only to iPhone users. Instead Apple needs to work on a better notification system to catch up with Android or WebOS then let users install the messaging client of their choice (AOL, MSN, GTalk, Yahoo) and use push to notify users of messages.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
Instead Apple needs to work on a better notification system to catch up with Android or WebOS then let users install the messaging client of their choice (AOL, MSN, GTalk, Yahoo) and use push to notify users of messages.

So true. I think that notifications are the biggest fail of all on the iPhone. I can't figure out why Apple hasn't tried to improve on this but it just doesn't seem to be a priority. And no, Push Notifications are not the same thing. That is a very pale and obtrusive substitute for true notifications.

Apple could definitely take a cue from Android or WebOS and even the BB OS in this area. It's one of the biggest reasons I'm always keeping my eye out for a phone to replace my iPhone. Just haven't found one good enough yet.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
FSU - 75% of people have either a BB or an iphone, and EVERYONE with BB uses BBM.

Most people in Memphis hate BBM. We just text each other. I had a previous gen curve for Sprint and then a Bold for a while. Hated BBM. I had about 20~ or so friends with BlackBerry's. If the iPhone just had a non buggy IM client I'd be set.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
So true. I think that notifications are the biggest fail of all on the iPhone. I can't figure out why Apple hasn't tried to improve on this but it just doesn't seem to be a priority. And no, Push Notifications are not the same thing. That is a very pale and obtrusive substitute for true notifications.

Apple could definitely take a cue from Android or WebOS and even the BB OS in this area. It's one of the biggest reasons I'm always keeping my eye out for a phone to replace my iPhone. Just haven't found one good enough yet.

I agree with everything you said. Yes we finally have Push Notifications but the iPhone OS definetely needs a notification bar. The Android and WebOS are impressive to me because of how they deal with notifications. I am pretty confident that OS 4.0 will concentrate on the notifications and multi-tasking and if not it will be a big fail imo.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

So true. It is a wonder that apple has not at least put that info on the lock screen because it is very basic. On the bb it is all across the top. It gives you the count of unread message, sms, vm, and then some apps will put notification up there. Apple could easily put them across the top of the iphone on the home screen as well.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Most people in Memphis hate BBM. We just text each other. I had a previous gen curve for Sprint and then a Bold for a while. Hated BBM. I had about 20~ or so friends with BlackBerry's. If the iPhone just had a non buggy IM client I'd be set.

What do you mean "if it had a non buggy IM client". Have you tried BeejiveIM? I've had it for so long and its no where near buggy. It's perfect to be honest. What are you waiting for? Go get it:p

lefooey

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2009
Spokane, WA
If you need true chat capability, there are a number of apps that support Google Chat, Yahoo Instant Messenger and AOL.

If you're just looking for the basic "guts" of Blackberry Messenger in an iPhone equivalent, try Ping!.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
So true. It is a wonder that apple has not at least put that info on the lock screen because it is very basic. On the bb it is all across the top. It gives you the count of unread message, sms, vm, and then some apps will put notification up there. Apple could easily put them across the top of the iphone on the home screen as well.

Seriously. I don't get it either. I've never understood why Apple doesn't appreciate how useful it is to have data/information available at a quick glance. Lockinfo is a big reason to jailbreak. Not only could Apple easily implement this functionality, but I'm sure they could come up with an extremely innovative way to present the data.

I agree with everything you said. Yes we finally have Push Notifications but the iPhone OS definetely needs a notification bar. The Android and WebOS are impressive to me because of how they deal with notifications. I am pretty confident that OS 4.0 will concentrate on the notifications and multi-tasking and if not it will be a big fail imo.

I think you are spot on about 4.0. I'd bet the farm that those are going to be the 2 key new (and, unfortunately, probably only major new) features of 4.0. Bring it Apple.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
http://itunes.com/app/whatsapp

we just added chat and app went live today. it is exactly like BBM but for iphone. in fact, it is even better since there is no PIN to exchange. will update itunes app store description and screen shots later.

note for special people: just like BBM requires the other party to have BBM, whatsapp requires the other party to also have whatsapp.

This would work if it was included on every Iphone my default and backrounded like the ipod.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
My point was that yes you download 100s of Apps, but not everyone uses the same IM protocol.

Perhaps not, but all of the IM apps I've seen are compatible with all the Im protocols that are out there. So, it wouldn't matter.

The only IM protocol that is truly closed off is BBM.

I just don't get why people like less options.

I wonder the same thing. BBM gives you *less* options because you can only message other BB users and only if you know their PIN. Likewise, this would constrain you too.

Even if you're never going to use this feature, why would you NOT want the option?

Because the two are mutually exclusive. For such a system to work as BBM does, everyone has to opt into it. And I'd rather not.

If you really want BBM, get a Blackberry.

iLo0ods

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
BBM on iPhone (or something 99% similar to it)

Hello guys,
My first post on Mac Forums! :)

OK, I'm sure many of you already know this by know but the App Store released an App called pMessenger. I used to use a BB (God Forgive me) and i'm telling you this is 99% the same with the PIN number, ability to send files, voice, pics, etc. It even has a way to tell you when the other person is typing and if he received your message and if he read it... (little purple circle for received and green for read).

I highly recommened it if you like BBM the problem is trying to find friends etc who have iPhones too and convincing them to use it....

All the best!

K

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Hello guys,
My first post on Mac Forums! :)

OK, I'm sure many of you already know this by know but the App Store released an App called pMessenger. I used to use a BB (God Forgive me) and i'm telling you this is 99% the same with the PIN number, ability to send files, voice, pics, etc. It even has a way to tell you when the other person is typing and if he received your message and if he read it... (little purple circle for received and green for read).

I highly recommened it if you like BBM the problem is trying to find friends etc who have iPhones too and convincing them to use it....

All the best!

K

Thanks, I'm partial to WhatsApp myself, no pin required. One point, I understand why some people don't understand these types of apps, why not just use an IM client. For me, I use it because of the fact I can see when someone is typing a response and for the delivery and read notifications. These features may not be attractive to some, but if you are trying to contact someone, there are times when a phone call can not be made. If you are in the tech support world, you know what I mean, you want to know someone is on the other end.

TheSquad

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
Thanks, I'm partial to WhatsApp myself, no pin required. One point, I understand why some people don't understand these types of apps, why not just use an IM client. For me, I use it because of the fact I can see when someone is typing a response and for the delivery and read notifications. These features may not be attractive to some, but if you are trying to contact someone, there are times when a phone call can not be made. If you are in the tech support world, you know what I mean, you want to know someone is on the other end.

I'm sure that whatsapp doesn't have the read notification, it only tells you when the user has received the message, but not when he read it. Only pMessenger and iMessenger has it.

I do prefer pMessenger (less expensive than iMessenger) than Whatsapp, because I do not want all my professional contact to see that I have WhatsApp and my status, I even asked Whatsapp to delete my phone number from their database.
The fact that you are giving all your contact phone numbers to whatsapp's server, isn't really secure. Do your contact are aware that you have shared their number without their approval ?
They don't even tell you that your are sharing numbers, that's really not something right !

jkb

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
California
I'm sure that whatsapp doesn't have the read notification, it only tells you when the user has received the message, but not when he read it. Only pMessenger and iMessenger has it.

I do prefer pMessenger

that is because you are involved and affiliated with pMessenger development. you should identify yourself as such in the future in the interest of full disclosure.

(less expensive than iMessenger) than Whatsapp, because I do not want all my professional contact to see that I have WhatsApp and my status, I even asked Whatsapp to delete my phone number from their database.
The fact that you are giving all your contact phone numbers to whatsapp's server, isn't really secure. Do your contact are aware that you have shared their number without their approval ?
They don't even tell you that your are sharing numbers, that's really not something right !

*sigh*

we went over this already: http://whatsapp.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/a-few-things/

why can't you just please go work on making pMessenger better instead of spending your time attacking other developers and their applications?

we really don't have time for this childish crap.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Perhaps not, but all of the IM apps I've seen are compatible with all the Im protocols that are out there. So, it wouldn't matter.

The only IM protocol that is truly closed off is BBM.

I wonder the same thing. BBM gives you *less* options because you can only message other BB users and only if you know their PIN. Likewise, this would constrain you too.

Because the two are mutually exclusive. For such a system to work as BBM does, everyone has to opt into it. And I'd rather not.

If you really want BBM, get a Blackberry.

Your logic is flawed. The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can text a Blackberry user AND you can BBM them. And the point is, you don't sign up (or opt in).

Blackberry (RIM) can offer free unique messaging to its users because they pay a data fee hence the service not being offered to non-Blackberry users.

It's the same deal Verizon, ATT and Tmobile have; they offer unlimited minutes on calls to their network but not others. So, you're telling me you would forgo free minutes to calls on your own network just because you don't get free minutes to others?!

By adding a BBM-Style function into iPhone doesn't take away ANYTHING from what you currently have (in regards to your "BM gives you *less* options because you can only message other BB users and only if you know their PIN.")

Example: You and your friend have iPhones. You can freely message your one friend from the Messages application simply by sending a 'Apple Message' to their phone number (no PIN). It doesn't count as a text or anything (just like BBM doesn't) and you don't need to sign up and make usernames/passwords. Right there, it cuts your text bill. Even if you have other friends on non-iPhones, you still not be using as much texts.

So you're against saving money?

Again, you can argue "there are plenty of IM apps". Yes, but first party integration would take away unnecessary things like having to have that app, signing up, screen names, and making sure push notification is on.

TheSquad

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
that is because you are involved and affiliated with pMessenger development. you should identify yourself as such in the future in the interest of full disclosure.

we really don't have time for this childish crap.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I do not develop on iPhone anymore, I have made a try with one software, do not make enough money to continue. I'm just a fan of their work.

And i'm not saying that you (Whatsapp) are sharing numbers, i'm just saying that it should tell people that opening the software will send all their numbers to the server, exactly like facebook do on their new update (they do not try to hide it !)
Do not forget that most of users doesn't know how it works, and if they does they might not want to comply to that.

I can't bear the fact that people having my phone number without me having theirs can see all my status and send me message whenever they want without the ability for me to block them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.