Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Reality check:

All the complaining about how overpriced the Airport Extreme is, and how ridiculous it is that Apple make a profit needs to be debunked a little here.

Someone earlier in the post threw out misinformation that comparable routers from other manufacturers were selling for under $100. Not true. Fact is, Newegg is selling a Linksys E series, dual band router for $160. It has a USB port, although I didn't see any reference to it supporting a networked printer.

Now, as someone who has owned multiple routers over the years, including Linksys and Netgear, and has configured well over 50 routers for different networks, I can tell you that I have never owned or worked on a more consistently reliable router than an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. Mine has been connected to my network for months with no reboots necessary. Never had that with any Linksys or Netgear.

Also, Linksys and Netgear have issues from a usability standpoint. Every time I log into a Linksys router I have to pick my way around because they seem to change their configuration interface every three weeks, so that every nuance of a model that they sell has a slightly different configuration interface. Not to mention that their attempts to make the router easy to set up out of the box usually end up causing more frustration and aggravation than anything else.

I find any cost difference between the Apple router and routers that share similar feature sets to be well worth the reliability, consistency of experience and ease of set up. If the ~$30 or so more that the Apple router costs is too much for you, then fine. Buy a competing brand. But don't spread FUD about the cost being way more than comparable routers, because it just ain't true.

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
I wouldn't mind an itunes server, maybe throw an hdmi connection for people close to a tv and add the apple tv software. Throw in nightly scheduled backups to the iclound from the time machine backup, better vpn for a new back to my mac app on ipad. And what the heck, make it a voice over ip call center for all iphones, ipads and ipod touches using ivoice, apples new competitor to google voice.

Did I miss anything? ... oh, thunderbolt port and wireless sinking to the itunes running on this box.

Makes toast in the morning too ;-)

ShaunC

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2008
Airport Express is one of Apple's most under-rated products.

For a basic router to include wireless printing and music sharing, yet still being easy to set up, yet being priced under £90 is still impressive.

In terms of appearance this product hasn't changed in nearly 7 years, which for an Apple product is again pretty impressive, however I still wouldn't say no to an iCloud update.

I think the Airplay feature will be rolled out across the board of Apple's routers, they've invested too much time pushing it in IOS4 to just leave it solely in the Express.

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
Now, as someone who has owned multiple routers over the years, including Linksys and Netgear, and has configured well over 50 routers for different networks, I can tell you that I have never owned or worked on a more consistently reliable router than an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. Mine has been connected to my network for months with no reboots necessary. Never had that with any Linksys or Netgear.

Also, Linksys and Netgear have issues from a usability standpoint. Every time I log into a Linksys router I have to pick my way around because they seem to change their configuration interface every three weeks, so that every nuance of a model that they sell has a slightly different configuration interface. Not to mention that their attempts to make the router easy to set up out of the box usually end up causing more frustration and aggravation than anything else.

Well my Linksys 610N has been on for a year without a reboot, and that was because I moved. Before that it was turned on for two years with no reboot. And my parents' wrt54gc has also been on for a year or two now with no problems. Also the interface is quite similar. I'm not saying anything bad about the Airport extreme, but from my experience the Linksys router are top notch.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I wouldn't mind them adding an iTunes server to the Airport Base. This means taht the person watching AppleTV doesn't lose what they're watching because the Mac user either logged out or put the system to sleep.

My Airport Extreme (b/g) is over 7 years old at this point. Adding an iTunes server to it would be one feature that would make me want to get a new one.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i think the AE is well worth its money. I have the model beforethe current one and it's been fast, reliable and easy to set up. the current model in addition has the "guest mode" which is a nice feature.

I hope apple doesn't try to change the router too much and make it worse in the process. In any case I will check for deals on the current AE as soon as the new one is announced. I got my AE for $100 at best buy when they released the new model.

winglet69

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
London, UK
And the other routers perform better for less money. But the Airport looks better.

Well, no. Sorry. I tried every router out there and the only that punches through all the concrete in my condo turned out to be the AEBS. It's been rock-solid for two years, full signal strength. Not so the Linksys/Buffalo units I tried...and they're weren't less money (the high-end models not the the ticky-tack entry level ones.)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Wow, this is very exciting news. I am currently looking into buying an AirPort Express, but am too hesitant to buy one, as I only need a decent WiFi connection for which there are cheaper solutions. Perhaps an updated version will finally convince me.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm very excited about this. I'm in the market for a NAS and I'm not impressed by the offerings. They lack that Apple finesse. It's hard to find one that gets performance, noise, power consumption, price, software and looks right.
Apple could with their economies of scale couple a powerful low power cpu with an optimized os (maybe even iOS). And wrap it all up in a well designed box with some Apple exclusive integration (iCloud) and stuff like Thunderbolt.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
Wow, this is very exciting news. I am currently looking into buying an AirPort Express, but am too hesitant to buy one, as I only need a decent WiFi connection for which there are cheaper solutions. Perhaps an updated version will finally convince me.

Airplay should have already done that. One press of a button and 'voila' wireless music streaming... makes me smile every time.

WiBu

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
I might be completely wrong, but I am going to guess that the new Airport will involve some sort of cloud caching feature.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Reality check:

All the complaining about how overpriced the Airport Extreme is, and how ridiculous it is that Apple make a profit needs to be debunked a little here.

Someone earlier in the post threw out misinformation that comparable routers from other manufacturers were selling for under $100. Not true. Fact is, Newegg is selling a Linksys E series, dual band router for $160. It has a USB port, although I didn't see any reference to it supporting a networked printer.

Now, as someone who has owned multiple routers over the years, including Linksys and Netgear, and has configured well over 50 routers for different networks, I can tell you that I have never owned or worked on more consistently reliable router than an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. Mine has been connected to my network for months with no reboots necessary. Never had that with any Linksys or Netgear.

I find any cost difference between the Apple router and routers that share similar feature sets to be well worth the reliability, consistency of experience and ease of set up. If the ~$30 or so more that the Apple router costs is too much for you, then fine. Buy a competing brand. But don't spread FUD about the cost being way more than comparable routers, because it just ain't true.

Linksys has served my family members very well. I have bought linkage and the Aebs. Firmware is easily navigated on both.
Labeled differently sure but the features are pretty standard.
Well I can't speak of not having to reboot since I do cycle power on the 7 computers, 3 xboxes, 2 Ps3s, 2 wiis and the printers once a month.
aEBS is just as good as my link sys. The linksys has better coverage but the Aebs has the USB printer support which I no longer need since the printers are network ready.
Aebs is nice, $50 bucks cheaper it would be real nice.

axboi87

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Dallas, Tx
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Finally! The extreme was (for the most part) the fastest router on the market until the new Linksys E4200 came out. I will say however nothing matches the Extreme's reliability. It's the only router ive seen that can sit on a UPS and have a 1.5 year uptime without a reset while it handles a very large house full of people constantly accessing an iomega NAS attached to it and several AppleTVs etc etc

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Reality check:
[...] I have never owned or worked on a more consistently reliable router than an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. Mine has been connected to my network for months with no reboots necessary. Never had that with any Linksys or Netgear.[...]

Funny that people always reference Netgear and Linksys nearly exclusively - try Draytek Vigor instead!

Rock-solid routers with lots of features. My 6 year old 2900VG already offers 32 VPN channels, USB print server, VoIP, 16 Guest VLan's, QoS, support for RADIUS, DynDNS, etc. etc. - and i never had a problem with it (that includes no forced reboots). It's also barely warm to the touch. Extensive configuration possible via browser interface.

Granted - Apple's design is nicer, but the Vigor works as flawlessly as Cupertinos devices while offering better configuration options...

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Hopefully, this is tied to wireless iTunes syncing - an iTunes server on the Time Capsule so Apple TV and other iOS devices can access content without your computer running (your own personal internal cloud), as well as the ability to wireless sync your devices (for backup, syncing of content, etc.)...use a bit of Flash memory in the wireless routers for storing the iTunes catalog, and if you have the Time Capsule you get the additional disk storage as well.

...your iTunes catalog would then also be synced to iCloud, so you can access cloud-stored content from anywhere.

Easily doable, has been rumoured to be happening, and ties perfectly into an iOS update and cloud capability.

One can hope...

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Humm... If there is an upgrade and it includes anything cool my existing TC goes up on eBay and I'll be picking up a 2TB TC this time. :)

WorkingDead

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
TC Coolling Issue

They better have fixed the cooling issue with TC. The things run seriously hot because of the wishful passive cooling scheme. They really need to add a fan to keep the temps down. I'm on my third one of these because they keep burning their power supply up right around the one year mark.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
They better have fixed the cooling issue with TC. The things run seriously hot because of the wishful passive cooling scheme. They really need to add a fan to keep the temps down. I'm on my third one of these because they keep burning their power supply up right around the one year mark.

There's already a fan in there but because of the poor case design all it ever does is recirculate hot air if and when it eventually spins up.

The internal fan has no air input, is pointing the wrong way and does not turn on so some people have modified the case and fan so it works properly.

dscf6680.jpg

DoubleWah

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
Time Capsul that now backs up your iOS devices.

Exactly. There is only one technical hurdle to overcome to "untether" the ipad and iphone from the mac and that is backup. If Time Capsule is able to backup iOS, then they can finally break the umbilical cord with desktop itunes.

S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.