Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
It's just the same as how some on here berate the competitors for being late to the party, with "inferior" products like the Surface but then will go on about how we should be patient and wait for Apple Maps to catch up Google Maps.
Why should I be patient? I use google maps on my iPhone and iPad every day

----------

I'm trying to remember when BMW cared that Toyota sold more Camry's

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
That's an awful lot of non-Apple tablets that don't use the internet. Just another part of the shake-down of Apple by other corporations trying to ride on Apple's success.

Analysts make things up to get Apple to benefit Wall St, not shareholders nor customers.

Research firms bearing the same name as publishing companies make up nonsense about Apple, because Samcopy spends 10x Apple on advertising.

Who gives so-called research firms creditability? because as Mr Cook pointed out recently -- these tablets don't show up as being used anywhere.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
While the new lineup is fine I don't see them making a comeback. The market is over saturated with millions of iPads that Apple still updates. With Apple still selling the iPad 2 I can safely assume that iOS 8 is coming to it as well. Why would your average customer want to upgrade? And the going price is still $500 for the iPad air and they hiked the price of the mini iPad. Oh, let's not leave out Android and better windows tablets running full windows 8.1.
To many things stacked against the iPad. I do see a comeback when a larger iPhone is released. Not everyone needs or want a expensive tablet.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
The only non-apple tablet I've ever seen in the wild is the occasional kindle. Maybe it's a radically different picture overseas, but the reasons the so-called research states regarding integration with phones, tv and so wouldn't be exclusive to areas outside the US.

In the UK it's pretty much iPads and Kindles everywhere. Very rare if you see an Android tablet being used out and about.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Not surprised by this at all. Android tablets are mostly budget, cheap crap. People buy them because they are cheap not because they are a great offering.

I got a letter in the mail today saying that I won a free Android tablet and I just need to call in and receive it. Probably spam but I'm not even remotely interested. If they said an iPad, I'd probably investigate :)

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
Apple likes to point out that the usage statistics show their iPads get way more use than any other tablet, like 90% of the tablet web browsing is done with an iPad. So I think it's fair to ask whether the other tablets are selling, and if they are, how they are being used.

I myself only use a Kindle Paperwhite. I don't know if that counts as a tablet in those sales figures, but I only use it to read books, of course. I use my iPhone or computer for everything else. With a Kindle, iPhone, and rRBP, I can't justify to myself getting another device.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
It's just the same as how some on here berate the competitors for being late to the party, with "inferior" products like the Surface but then will go on about how we should be patient and wait for Apple Maps to catch up Google Maps.

Why would people be patient and waiting for Apple Maps when we already have Google Maps on iPhone and iPad. :confused:

You make it sound like people are holding back on an Apple tablet or phone purchase until their maps rival Google's but we already have Google's on our platform so I don't see why anyone would be waiting?

Google Maps rocks and it's free! :cool:

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Shipped not Sold.

Shipped is proportional to sold, approximately.

----------

That's an awful lot of non-Apple tablets that don't use the internet. Just another part of the shake-down of Apple by other corporations trying to ride on Apple's success.

Analysts make things up to get Apple to benefit Wall St, not shareholders nor customers.

Research firms bearing the same name as publishing companies make up nonsense about Apple, because Samcopy spends 10x Apple on advertising.

Who gives so-called research firms creditability? because as Mr Cook pointed out recently -- these tablets don't show up as being used anywhere.

Maybe Apple should start spending money on it if this is actually true (which I highly doubt).

----------

In the UK it's pretty much iPads and Kindles everywhere. Very rare if you see an Android tablet being used out and about.

Same here in the U.S. Definitely can't blame them :p

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
One OS vs. another OS. Android is on top and distancing itself from its competition.

That would be embarrassing if true; so Android is on top in tablets and distancing itself from the competition, but you'd never know it by the ecosystem?

TJH133

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2013
Shipped not Sold.

dig threw Apple data and guess what Apple "Sold" = Shipped for everyone else.
Apple reports any units that has been delivered to retailers other than Apple as sold even if it is sitting in Best Buys ware house. As far as Apple is concerned it is sold. If apple's own documents say that.

For me this is not a surprised. Seems to me the iPad has reach its saturation point. Now it more of just replacements.

----------

To be fair people can not tell the difference. At a quick glance you can easily mistake an say a nexus 7 as an iPad mini or a kindle tablet. It is only among closer inspections. Honestly I do not see tablets out in public that often any how.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Are you folks not getting tired of this nonsense? Every shop that I know that sells tablets also has a lot of "unsold but shipped" iPads in the shelves...

Yeah, but anecdotes are not the point. The point is that most sales figures for Android devices will cite units shipped, not sold. While Apple reports units sold. So the gap between actual units in the hands of consumers is probably bigger than the numbers suggest on their face.

ilikeflop

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
Are you folks not getting tired of this nonsense? Every shop that I know that sells tablets also has a lot of "unsold but shipped" iPads in the shelves...

No.
You don't understand. Apple uses something called "just in time" inventory system. Basically, they ship enough tablets for a certain sales period (say 30 days), then closely monitor sales and only ship tablets "just in time" to maintain that 30 day stock.
So.... when you see a HUGE stock of Apple tablets in a shop feel free to think: "damn, they sell that many every month?". Since Android tablets do NOT use this method, if you see a ton of them feel free to ask yourself: "hmm, I wonder how old the dust is on top of those boxes?"

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Last week I setup a wireless network for a household.
The lady asked if I would connect her iPad for her as she had just got it and didn't know it yet.

She handed me some sort of android tablet.
I said this ain't no iPad, its an iPad wanna be.

She got sorta huffy and said I was wrong because she was at Best Buy and told them she wanted their cheapest iPad and they told her this one was on sale.
Bit my tongue, got it connected and out the door...

ilikeflop

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
One OS vs. another OS. Android is on top and distancing itself from its competition.

So.... Do you think Tim was lying when he gave all the stats on how people are using the fewer iPads out there FAR more than the more plentiful Android tablets??

If not.... I assume you're saying that, to you, owning but NOT using a company's product (most likely because it is not enjoyable or did not live up to your expectations) puts that company "on top and distancing itself from its competition"?

Huh.... Bold stance. I'm not sure that I can agree with you.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
We can see the shipment data. Is there any data on the return rate?

If the return rate was excessively high stores would not store the product.

Don't worry, the iPad is doing very well. This is kind of a non story ( once again ).

One manufacturer against many. Of course Apple's marketshare is going to drop. Marketshare isn't everything. Ecosystem / developer interest is what counts. As long as Apple can sustain these two factors, Apple will be fine.

Don't try and make excuses such as "what about returns", "what about actual sales". Strawman arguments ultimately.

Ecosystem / developer interest is what you should look out for. Start worrying when Developer interest starts to fall. Less software means less customers.

Last edited:

TJH133

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, but anecdotes are not the point. The point is that most sales figures for Android devices will cite units shipped, not sold. While Apple reports units sold. So the gap between actual units in the hands of consumers is probably bigger than the numbers suggest on their face.

Covered before Apple sold = units ship. They just using a different term for marketing and it works as people buy it hook line and sinker.
No.
You don't understand. Apple uses something called "just in time" inventory system. Basically, they ship enough tablets for a certain sales period (say 30 days), then closely monitor sales and only ship tablets "just in time" to maintain that 30 day stock.
So.... when you see a HUGE stock of Apple tablets in a shop feel free to think: "damn, they sell that many every month?". Since Android tablets do NOT use this method, if you see a ton of them feel free to ask yourself: "hmm, I wonder how old the dust is on top of those boxes?"

Umm everyone uses just in time. The just in time is a retailer by retailer choice. Apple retail stores use just in time. Btw just in time is not 30 days. Just in time is more like 24 hours.
Most companies use the 30 day thing.

Apple can not track sales after they get into a retailers hand UNLESS it is Apple.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
And yet I've honestly never seen an Android tablet out in the wild aside from the occasional Nexus 7. :confused:
Based on web traffic and app revenue, it seems like people use their Android tablet mostly to watch YouTube videos and ripped movies, activities they're more likely to do at home.

Vtwo

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
Covered before Apple sold = units ship. They just using a different term for marketing and it works as people buy it hook line and sinker.

Umm everyone uses just in time. The just in time is a retailer by retailer choice. Apple retail stores use just in time. Btw just in time is not 30 days. Just in time is more like 24 hours.
Most companies use the 30 day thing.

Apple can not track sales after they get into a retailers hand UNLESS it is Apple.

While that is true for the quarter where the product is introduced, in subsequent quarters, it is likely sold to retailers is very close to sold to customers because most retailers will keep the inventory level the same. For Apple's typical one year product cycle

1st quarter - Unit sold to retailer > Unit sold to customer (channel inventory)
2nd quarter - Unit sold to retailer ~ Unit sold to customer (same channel inventory)
3rd quarter - Unit sold to retailer ~ Unit sold to customer (same channel inventory)
4th quarter - Unit sold to retailer < Unit sold to customer (clearing channel inventory)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.