Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Anything to do with Al Gore is doomed for failure.

Did you miss the part where Al won the popular vote by 500,000?

I guess none of them were your vote. But I do recall that 60,000,000 Americans went down to their voting stations one day in Nov. 2000 and attempted to make Al Gore the leader of the US.

----------

I for one am SOOOOOO ready for a content creation tool for creating immersive book experiences on the iPad that doesn't require coding.

and a cold brewski!

Last edited:

xradman07

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hypocritical is correct. Love my Apple products but they show the rainbow of love and spew the left talking points. But count their profits like the most hardcore miser! And I suppose he did create the Internet.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I for one am SOOOOOO ready for a content creation tool for creating immersive book experiences on the iPad that doesn't require coding.

It requires coding...you just don't see it. :)
Did you miss the part where Al won the popular vote by 500,000?

I guess none of them were your vote. But I do recall that 60,000,000 Americans went own to their voting stations one day in Nov. 2000 and attempted to make Al Gore the leader of the US.

Thank god that didn't happen...otherwise we'd be over 25 trillion in debt by now,

xradman07

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's a hoax if they actually state their research was misguided and had been falsified. Global warming sure, entirely us NO that would be ridiculous and tantamount to criminal. Can't say some can't have it all when that's all YOU WANT!

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan

Hypocritical is correct. Love my Apple products but they show the rainbow of love and spew the left talking points. But count their profits like the most hardcore miser! And I suppose he did create the Internet.

Apple for half of its existence made little profit and didn't really care. They never went for marketshare and wouldn't license the OS. Now they are successful and you call them names.

And the 'create the internet' joke is old and cheap, and deliberately misleading as it always was.

byulasfjazz

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009

Al gore?? Wow I'm officially in interested

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Big thanks to Al Gore for inventing the internetz and allowing us to post on Mac Rumors! "Sure looks like snow today!"

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
A major (technical) question for me is if one will be able to read purchased textbooks off anything besides an iOS device.

It was a great book, but his drawl was a bit uninspiring and ended up sounding like he'd rather be doing something else.... steve jobs he is not... lol... but i really like the polish and quality they put into it; Mike Matas is a genius imo...

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Why would they base this on anything related to Al Gore? Uhggg. I love Apple and all their products but this is disappointing. Global warming is a hoax pushed for political gain.

Oh, I don't know, maybe because regardless of one's plitical views, the app was incredibly well done, easily the best 'book' type app I've ever used on the iPad? I was floored when I first opened it and immediately thought how awesome it would be if textbooks were in the same format. I guess Apple was on the same page.

Your last statement is despicable, ignorant, and idiotic- but I digress. It still has nothing to do with the quality of the app.

PS- I have yet to see the lucrative 'political gain' of green initiatives. To a rational person, most vested interests and lobbyist money is on the other side of the table.

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl

ronm99 said:
blow45 said:
Has anyone performed any studies on the effect lcd screens have on young eyes? :confused:

I know I 've had to put glasses at 33 from computer use and know a lot of friends who had their eyesight hurt after extensive computer use.

As much as I feel excited about this, I have to be reserved about it too...

My understanding is that computers hurt the eyes due to the fact that you are constantly focusing on an object at the same distance away. As people age, they become far-sighted because their eyes become less flexible which limits their ability to focus on things that are close to them (thus requiring reading glasses). You can help your eyes during computer use by occasionally focusing on things far away and then looking back at the computer again.

I've never heard of any studies that say that LCD screens hurt the eyes.

If the above is correct, then there should be no difference between reading a book and reading on a computer screen.

----------

applesith said:

He's touched McDonalds once or twice.

----------

[/url]

All depends on the period of time you are measuring temperatures. And there is no proof that it's man made or that anything can actually be done about it. That is why it can be called a hoax.

This is getting off-topic, but I would like to add that calling something a "hoax" is saying that the scientists are deliberately trying to mis-lead people. You may or may not agree with their conclusions, but calling global warming a hoax is going too far.

This is getting off topic but in the interests of a balanced discussion it's worth pointing out the 'climategate' emails. Some would say these emails were a deliberate attempt to mislead people. Others say they have been taken out of context. Look at as many of the emails as you can and decide for yourself if you're interested.

My own opinion is that our planet has warmed and cooled based on solar activity from our sun, as well as the Earth's own internal processes. There have been many warmer periods dating back hundreds of years before the industrial revolution, not to mention cooler ones too. Its cyclical. There has also been the more recent discovery of Criegee Biradicals which are said to be climate cooling molecules that have long thought to have existed but have only recently been observed.

Admittedly I am an armchair scientist only, but I'd like to think I consider things on balance.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more about the upcoming announcement.

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
My own opinion is that our planet has warmed and cooled based on solar activity from our sun, as well as the Earth's own internal processes. There have been many warmer periods dating back hundreds of years before the industrial revolution, not to mention cooler ones too. Its cyclical. There has also been the more recent discovery of Criegee Biradicals which are said to be climate cooling molecules that have long thought to have existed but have only recently been observed.

Common sense? In the Macrumors comments? Say it aint so!

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
My understanding is that computers hurt the eyes due to the fact that you are constantly focusing on an object at the same distance away. As people age, they become far-sighted because their eyes become less flexible which limits their ability to focus on things that are close to them (thus requiring reading glasses). You can help your eyes during computer use by occasionally focusing on things far away and then looking back at the computer again.

I've never heard of any studies that say that LCD screens hurt the eyes.

If the above is correct, then there should be no difference between reading a book and reading on a computer screen.

----------

This is getting off-topic, but I would like to add that calling something a "hoax" is saying that the scientists are deliberately trying to mis-lead people. You may or may not agree with their conclusions, but calling global warming a hoax is going too far.

As an optician it always amuses me when people think their computer has caused them to need glasses! There is nothing to suggest that focussing on your screen for long periods makes you need glasses- the above poster is right in that the eye loses some flexibility however this occurs to every person on the planet and is part of ageing. Some people are affected at different rates and really a lot of the people who notice at 33 that they need near vision help are actually just correcting a distance vision problem (hypermetropia) rather than Presbyopia which is the ageing one.

On topic - love this idea hope the publishing tool is open to everyone would be great if my teacher friends can put their class notes on too!

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
When I was young, I used to form my opinions on whatever my version of "common sense" yielded too.

Then I tried basing my opinions upon evaluating evidence collected & compiled via the scientific method, peer reviewed.

That's when I learned why science provides far more accurate results than common sense when trying to understand how the mechanics of nature work.

Observe more. Form less opinions.

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Common sense? In the Macrumors comments? Say it aint so!

*sigh* Seeing as they can't even be arsed to ask the right questions I'd be against labeling either of the parent comments common sense --- and not because common sense is mythical in proportion.

What is the current rate of change, what has it been in the past? Can the CO2 be reasonably associated with particular sources?

WRT OP, it is a shame that book is 6 bucks. Not sure it is worth it too me to check it out.

Last edited:

Smutchings

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
United Kingdom
Why would they base this on anything related to Al Gore? Uhggg. I love Apple and all their products but this is disappointing. Global warming is a hoax pushed for political gain.

Could that be due to use of CRT monitors rather than the current batch of LCD devices? I would assume the damage would be the same as a book with a booklight, it's just lit up words.

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl

It's not just lit up words though is it. I don't know how relevant this is but I certainly notice a 'depth' thing from time to time. The words appear not only under a layer of glass but also the layers that make up the LCD. Again how relevant this is I don't know. Just my opinion based on my own observation... ;)

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Let's See.. Global Warming is a Hoax..

Evolution must be one too ?

Gotta love all these informed people..

Try using your computers on other sites than Fox News and maybe you will
learn something, instead of parroting it.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
It requires coding...you just don't see it. :)

Thank god that didn't happen...otherwise we'd be over 25 trillion in debt by now,

You'd have saved money on things that go in the 'Stupid, Misguided Wars' section of the budget though.

All that aside, Our Choice was a very nifty app and I'm looking forward to seeing what they show off today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.