Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KamuiVII

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
awesome. I'm gonna get a New MBP or Mac Pro and the New Monitor, then SMASH :mad: my head against the keyboard cause the FCX and Motion I bought doesn't support dual monitor! :mad:

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
using my finger as a measurement it look like 30 inch. or 32 inch.
this should be the 3200x2000 monitor, it is smaller than i hope, but shut up and take my money!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It appears that Apple is aware of this. In fact, of all consumer technology companies, Apple may be the most successful at protecting their brand image.
While that is nice for Apple, it is not good for me the consumer. The less money I have to give any corporation, the better.

I recall having a conversation with a coworker about technology purchases. They quickly came to the conclusion that I think to much in order to be a mindless consumer. I happened to agree.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Too bad it's just the same crappy second-best 27" 2560x1440 resolution.

If you're paying one grand for a huge high-res monitor, why would you settle for second-best instead of a proper 30" full 2560x1600 resolution?

madmonkeys

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2009
You all do realize you'll be able to plus these into normal miniDisplay ports as well, so just because it's plugged into a Mac mini or a Mac Pro doesn't mean they have Thunderbolt.

Look at the image, there are only two cables coming out of the Macbook Pro (power cable and thunderbolt) to the display. That means it is not a mini-display port but is indeed thunderbolt.

Current minidisplay port requires three cables to come from the Macbook Pro. As seen in this image. (power, minidisplay port and USB).

http://images.apple.com/displays/images/gallery_hero1_20110621.png

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
using my finger as a measurement it look like 30 inch. or 32 inch.
this should be the 3200x2000 monitor, it is smaller than i hope, but shut up and take my money!
No. Look at the picture with 27" iMac. It's the same exact size.
lion_display_macs.jpg

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
While that is nice for Apple, it is not good for me the consumer. The less money I have to give any corporation, the better.

I recall having a conversation with a coworker about technology purchases. They quickly came to the conclusion that I think to much in order to be a mindless consumer. I happened to agree.
Yes, I agree.

You don't seem to be a particularly happy person when you talk about technology.

Apple tops every single customer satisfaction survey in the industry. Does the company attract mindless consumers? Perhaps. And yet, if saving money is so great, why aren't users of other companies' products happier? Surely there must be mindless consumers who don't spend a lot of money.

I am happy to have the choice to pay extra money to a company whom I believe offers additional value. Some days, I'll lunch at the taqueria down the street. Other times, I enjoy sitting at a nicer restaurant and I'm willing to pay for it.

Last edited:

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This feature would only be compatible with 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros of the current generation supporting Thunderbolt.
Why not the 13" MBP?

I guess Intel 3000 is really that crappy after all.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Looking at the daisy chain image of the MacBookPro to two displays, there is a dual plug to TB? and between the displays a single TB?

Is this needed to have audio? What happened to a single plug for multiple protocols?

Reviewing madmonkeys recent post it appears from the monitor there is power and TB. That makes it a hub of sorts. What other hub functions does it have?

The older scheme had 3 plugs? Power, MDP, and ?

Rocketman

Last edited:

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
NOOOOOOOOO I just bought the 27" too =(

Ah well atleast I was able to pricematch for $50 bucks off and no tax ;)

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
It's a part number for a MacPro, no a MacBook, no an Air, no a Mini, no its a Display. :eek:

HORRIBLE!!!!!! The quality of the poor, rarely accurate rumors has really gone downhill recently. :mad:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It's a part number for a MacPro, no a MacBook, no an Air, no a Mini, no its a Display. :eek:

HORRIBLE!!!!!! The quality of the poor, rarely accurate rumors has really gone downhill recently. :mad:

Let's just be happy they are actually about the Mac and not iOS (not that I don't love iOS, but it is nice to see so many Mac stories because after this month, the Mac rumor mill will likely dry up for months) :(

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Mini optical drive gone?

Interesting how they're showing a specialized version of the Mac Mini (the server config). Unless of course the optical drive is now gone from the Mini. I could see that, maybe...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yes, I agree.

You don't seem to be a particularly happy person when you talk about technology.

Apple tops every single customer satisfaction survey in the industry. Does the company attract mindless consumers? Perhaps. And yet, if saving money is so great, why aren't users of other companies' products happier? Surely there must be mindless consumers who don't spend a lot of money.
I like OS X. I just happen to hate everything else. I remember a wonderful graph Lisa Simpson presented that showed as intelligence increased, happiness decrease. You can throw in the paradox of choice as well.

I am a rather unhappy person with dramatically low expectations. That still does not appear to improve the situation no matter what I do.

Regardless, it was very apparent in Lion; even after all the cute fluff; when I looked upon the System profiler that led to links on how to install more RAM, the User Manual for my exact model, or warranty status checker even with my bitter fountain of knowledge there was something of value to the pathetic masses in there.

madmonkeys

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2009
Looking at the daisy chain image of the MacBookPro to two displays, there is a dual plug to TB? and between the displays a single TB?

Is this needed to have audio? What happened to a single plug for multiple protocols?

Reviewing madmonkeys recent post it appears from the monitor there is power, TB, MDP. That makes it a hub of sorts. What other hub functions does it have?

Rocketman

The second plug is power from the display to the macbook pro via magsafe connector.

My previous post was in regards to a poster stating that we have no proof that the displays have thunderbolt. The current display requires a 3 prong connection from the macbook pros (power, minidisplay port and USB) but the newly discovered images of the updated display show only two prongs, for power and thunderbolt leaving the macbook pro.

Last edited:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

i like how the only one without a wire going to it is the mac pro since it doesnt even have thunderbolt yet lol

pjhamill

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2010

Not really, part numbers get mixed up all the time, also the Macbook air is still coming.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy

you know, being accurate kinda goes against the definition of being a rumor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.