Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
it's a patent, not even a product.

Not saying that they will, but they can sue over it. That's what patents are for, to protect intellectual property, regardless of if the holder currently sells a device that leverages it.

I have vague recollections of Apple suing Samsung over the S-Pen, despite them not offering up any devices that use a stylus digitizer. I don't believe much came of it, but there was a lawsuit at one point.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
They've been at this for awhile, now.

2008 - Apple files for patents on laser-based head-mounted displays

patent1-080417-4.gif

Also: 2008 - Apple applies for head tracking patent

Last edited:

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Where did you get your info? Google glass isn't even out yet and they have a lineup of people waiting to buy it. I and in that line. The googles look stupid and are only good if you’re at home.
The glasses with HUD are every nerds dream come true. (Yes I’m a nerd)

I work near Google's office in Manhattan and have used Google Glass several times. My comment is more or less in regard to the design of Google Glass (believe me, I'm no fan of Google at all). It is a more minimal design and not an entire goggle strapped to ones head. Also, we need to keep in mind that this patent is clearly old as it is referencing an iPod with a click wheel :eek:

Hopefully no one expects anything like this to ever be release by Apple. If it is, don't expect an entire friggin goggle headset strapped to your head.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
can you say..."use case"? google glass -- tools walking around town w/ the optic equivalent of a BT ear piece in case they get a text. this device (or Occulus) -- media consumption device to use in private.

see the difference there?

I think you've got it half right....the other tools will be Apple fanbois wearing these at starbucks. Just you wait!

pocket3d

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
Not saying that they will, but they can sue over it. That's what patents are for, to protect intellectual property, regardless of if the holder currently sells a device that leverages it.

I have vague recollections of Apple suing Samsung over the S-Pen, despite them not offering up any devices that use a stylus digitizer. I don't believe much came of it, but there was a lawsuit at one point.

I'm ashamed to say I tried to search for this. Wasted my time. You got a link?

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Samsung mindgame

Its a gag illustration to mindgame Samsung to copy ideas then, when they come out with their cheesy version item, Apple will unveil the real deal.

pocket3d

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
So a copy of google glass is in the works?

Best to read what's put in front of you. Apple's work predates Google's by years.

Also note a subtle detail: Glass addresses ONE eye. This addresses TWO eyes. See the difference?

How many eyes do you have? Why?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Best to read what's put in front of you. Apple's work predates Google's by years.

Also note a subtle detail: Glass addresses ONE eye. This addresses TWO eyes. See the difference?

As others have noted, the two devices have next to nothing in common, except for being head mounted.

Google Glass is an Android computer in a headset with a single display that's out of the user's main sight line, and a trackpad, along with voice control and communications/control with your phone.

--

This patent is for the design of a goggle-like device that the user puts directly over their eyes to privately view games / movies, etc, and which specifically has movable displays to better custom fit each user. The patent is not about what you do with it. It's only about the physical mount itself.

Here's what the patent specifically claims as its primary inventive idea:

Claim 1: "A head-mounted display, comprising: a spacer operative to receive at least one component of the head-mounted display; an outer cover coupled to the spacer, the outer cover forming at least a portion of an outer surface of the head-mounted display; at least one optical module movably coupled to the spacer, substantially enclosed by the outer cover, and operative to be displaced along at least two axes and in rotation around at least one axis with respect to the spacer without moving the outer cover with respect to the spacer."

Last edited:

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012

How many eyes do you have? Why?

And the virtual boy predates this by 12 years. Take off the fanboy goggles.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm ashamed to say I tried to search for this. Wasted my time. You got a link?

Don't feel bad. I couldn't find it at first either. It wasn't until Renzatic posted again, that my memory got triggered.

Basically, Apple added a bunch of Samsung devices to a lawsuit, by digging up an old forgotten 1995 pen computer specific patent.

(The patent itself had nothing to do with pens. It was about showing the user recently entered text for input fields. However, its claims were about such use on pen based systems, which is no doubt what triggered Apple's sudden interest in a patent about to expire in 2015.)

Apple's lawyers claimed that devices using the S-pen violated the old patent, even though most did not even come with the pen, and no one would normally say they used a pen based OS.

Last edited:

pocket3d

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
Your search skills be weak

Tremendously weak

Go to Google, type "Apple Stylus Lawsuit", and there you go.

Thanks. The links don't make your point, though.

The sequence of other wearable-screen patents, combined with this one, imply that they're seriously developing hardware with a view to potential manufacturing. These don't seem to be defensive or co-optive patents, in other words.

Last edited:

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Vuzix

They should just buy this company sell it on the Apple Store instead of wasting money on R&D. Their products does exactly what apple is working on.

http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/

Attachments

• IMG_2686.jpg
    IMG_2686.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 47
  • Wrap 1200DX-with-icons.jpg
    Wrap 1200DX-with-icons.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.