Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
God, I hope that doesn't happen.

Then again, this patent has so many priors, If Apple were to sue Oculus over it, it'd probably end up being found invalid.

these are totally different devices and use cases.

----------

I'll never see myself getting into the wearable electronics market. Call me old fashioned but everyone looks like a dingus... I never even got on the bluetooth ear peace craze of the mid 2000s

the difference is, media consumption devices like this and Occulus (a gaming VR headset) arent designed for walking around in public. theyre for sitting in your study/living room/bed.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I'll never see myself getting into the wearable electronics market. Call me old fashioned but everyone looks like a dingus... I never even got on the bluetooth ear peace craze of the mid 2000s

I'm Sorry! Your iOS days are numbered.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
John Carmack leaving Id to work on the Occulus made me take notice, but I'm still not 100% sold on the idea. I'm sold on Apple's idea even less, considering it seems to be a more general usage device.

I'll take a wait and see approach to see how it all turns out. But right now, I'm kinda iffy about the whole thing.

it's a patent, not even a product. i cant think of many recent apple hardware products that came out as utter turds. what they do, they do well. every time i see people hand-waving about a patent/rumor on here i wonder how many times this has to be demonstrated before people get it.

Last edited:

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Unlike the Oculus Rift, the Apple headset seems focused on viewing video and would therefore not have a comparable field of view. I hope to be proven wrong about that but for viewing videos, I just don't think that this would be a better experience than watching movies on an iPad screen.

Still, I like the idea of being able to adjust for each eye. The people most likely to use a VR headset are the people who wear glasses because they have to (not for fashion).

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
The cup already exists, however a cup made out of insulated plastic designed to have a permanently sealed hollow area between the plastic which would be pre-filled with a (relatively nontoxic) fluid that would: 1) stay frozen longer than water 2) get I a lower lower temperature than water 3) have a volume that doesn't increase or decrease when frozen, designed to be put in the freezer for a couple hours, then filled with juice which will freeze to the sides and may be scraped off with a spoon producing a quiescently delicious personal frozen treat... probably could exist as a patent (if it isn't already), despite the fact that the "cup" already exists and is not patentable,

bingo.

too many kids on here who think theyre experts in everything, including patent law...over simplification is a symptom.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Gosh, those lips...

THAT EAR!...

Gone from Google Glasses to Apple Goggles. How about a Darth Vader style helmet with the chest full of blinking buttons?

darth-vader.jpg

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I am getting sick of Apple acting as a patent troll and building up legal defenses, without actually bringing any innovative technology to market.

you do realize youre responding to a patent and rumor, not an actual product, right? apple patents thousands of ideas, but they dont build any of them until theyve completely gelled. like the iphone. and the ipad. and the imac. etc..

Pretty much all we've seen, with the exception of the fingerprint sensor, is derivative.
I know Apple is profitable, I just don't see where it's going in terms of innovation. Even the iWatch thing will be old news by the time it comes out.

youre high. iphone. ipad. retina macbook. ipad airs. mac pros. etc... all incorporate tons of amazing technology and innovation. youre just desensitized to it now. and if you think apple's "iwatch", or whatever it may be since it hasnt been announced, is going to be a clone of samsung's, then you simply havent been paying attention to the world around you the past ten years.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Lol im glad we share a sense of humour but seriously, what about oculus rift, recon and zeal? not to mentioned the clear similarity to google class that all these devices share. clearly this item exists. the patent program in the US needs reform, drastically.

different devices. the glass is entirely different than this. implementation matters. you dont get this.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Google glass haters

For all the fanbois who flamed google glass, how will you justify this monster?

Just keepin' it real.
:eek:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
For all the fanbois who flamed google glass, how will you justify this monster?

Just keepin' it real.
:eek:

can you say..."use case"? google glass -- tools walking around town w/ the optic equivalent of a BT ear piece in case they get a text. this device (or Occulus) -- media consumption device to use in private.

see the difference there?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Honestly, sometimes it seems that way.

They do make interesting devices. Something that's interesting is that when they were on the brink of demise, they took real risks. If nothing paid off, they may have gone under anyway. As companies grow, they become seemingly more risk averse.

What irked me was that you took something which only exists as a printed reference, extrapolated that it was the next big thing, then inquired about the potential to litigate based on that concept. If you look through the "what is claimed is" which is meant to quantify the claims, they're quite specific down to the materials used. I'm skeptical because a lot of these things contribute in abstract ways. Just look through a few of the iphone patents in depth. You'll find that many of them do not resemble a phone. Even the company that Apple purchased for some of the touch related patents wasn't directly involved in the design or manufacturing of phones or similar devices.

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
Great,
one more thing people can do in stead of paying attention to actually driving the car! :eek:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This could be Google Goggles done right... if you attach cameras to the outside, funnel that video into a CPU that analyzes the video and annotates it with useful information, then delivers that to the eye piece, it could work really well. People wouldn't need to wear any other form of glasses, because this could correct for any eye problems, or do away with glare or blinding lights or anything else that tends to impair a naked human eye.

Also, night vision. Heat sensors. Xray vision. So much awesomeness is possible.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
so, so very much has changed since '08.

unless you're out snowboarding I just can't help but think:

Except that's a piece of junk. The LCD is hard to see and the interface is too laggy. I've owned every iteration of it so far hoping they improved it, but alas that has not changed.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Holy nuts !!

Stop copy you Apple you...

What the heck than this thing be now..... These VR headsets look "cool" (there's that magic word again), but serves no real purpose in today's reality, or even future reality..

Does Apple actually think this VR will take off in 5 years time ?? lol...

Ya, good luck with that...... While Apple continues to file for more patents than a house has bricks, i'll be merrily going strong on the Mac... Something, which I know will go somewhere....

This is just, picking out of the barrel that lucky number ..... One day, it may actually be a hit..

but till that happens..... keep trying,

Every company patents every imaginable thing that could potentially be useful in the future. However, you're on MacRumors so you are only going to hear about apple patents. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.