Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are You Going To Update To Yosemite

• Yes, I'm updating now (or within a short period of time)

Votes: 84 48.0%
  • Yes, but I'm going to wait a while first

Votes: 43 24.6%
  • No, I'm sticking with 10.9 or earlier

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • Only on my Retina device (assuming you have Retina and non Retina)

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters

pingssgp

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Clean install.

As always, I did a clean install. There were no problems with applications not working and so on.
The only major bug I have was with the disk being converted into a core storage volume and causing problems with partition size changes. Had to do a complete reinstall to change the partition size, and this is a huge bug that Apple quickly needs to resolve.

woody55

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
I have installed it and it's great, some great improvements and I look for to the update to ios8 tomorrow that will see some more great features activated.

Job well done over all Apple..

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Funny, but one of the biggest things I love is that I can close Safari tabs from my other devices.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Broadly: much less than fifty-four percent updating now (or within a short period)

Just for fun – the 'short period' is not defined, and so on …

I might occasionally compare a percentage in this poll (limited to MacRumors voters) with a broader measurement of Yosemite traffic. That's twenty percent at the time of writing.

Attachments

• 2014-10-19 14-28-25 screenshot.png
    2014-10-19 14-28-25 screenshot.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 2014-10-19 14-27-14 screenshot.png
    2014-10-19 14-27-14 screenshot.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 219

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Yosemite installed on my late 2009 iMac 27" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 12 GB RAM. Works great. I had some issues with Mail under Mt. Lion and Mavericks, but Mail seems to work much better now under Yosemite. I'm sort of lazy and like to keep 6 or 8 Safari windows open, each with several tabs. Under Mt. Lion and Mavericks I would get occasional "beach balls" and freeze-ups, but not so much (so far) under Yosemite.

I did a standard Yosemite update, not a clean install. Liking it so far, no problems.

After I give this a few more days I'll install Yosemite on my wife's early 2009 24" iMac. Her iMac has only 4GB RAM, so I'm going to think about it first. Her iMac is now running Mavericks with no particular problems.

If anyone who reads this knows if Yosemite will run well in 4 GB of RAM, please chime in. For some reason RAM is particularly expensive for an early 2009-vintage 24" iMac, and I'm not eager to spend a lot for more ram on a 5 year-old computer that's basically working OK now.

This is great to hear. My office machine is a 2009 21" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo machine with 16 GB of RAM. I'm hoping to be able to upgrade to a newer machine soon, but am not really interested in the new retina display iMac's that were just released. So thanks for your input!

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
This is great to hear. My office machine is a 2009 21" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo machine with 16 GB of RAM. I'm hoping to be able to upgrade to a newer machine soon, but am not really interested in the new retina display iMac's that were just released. So thanks for your input!

Although Yosemite runs fine on my late 2009 iMac 27", it is much faster on the new Retina iMac I just received last night. I'm guessing that a big part of the speed increase is the SSD. If you plan to keep your 2009 for a while, you might consider replacing the hard drive with a SSD - the prices are very good now. Plus, your hard drive is 5 years old. Living on borrowed time ...

XoFu

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
One question missing?

o I did install Yosemite, but had to downgrade

I guess you would have some % in this one!

Still, I'm happy for those running Yosemite trouble free. I wish I knew how it feels:(

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
More votes, anyone?

Sunday 19th October (three days after launch)

Yosemite peaked at around 23.37% of Mac traffic.

54.29% of voters here were updating at that time (or intended to do so within a short period).

Now – Saturday 8th November (just over three weeks after launch)

Yosemite may be averaging around 25% of Mac traffic.

51.54% of voters here are updating now (or intend to do so within a short period).

Bump …

More votes, anyone?

Thanks

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Apparent optimism from MacRumors voters in the OS X Yosemite area

Up a little.

52.55% of voters here are updating now (or intend to do so within a short period).

Post-launch traffic measurements at https://www.gosquared.com/global/mac/yosemite/#launch suggest an adoption rate lower than the rate suggested in this poll. I assume that voters in the Yosemite sub-forums are relatively optimistic.

Not specific to OS X Yosemite

Another simple poll (multiple choice, one question, four options):

Are voters in these forums more optimistic about Apple products than voters at large?

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Eh, I reverted back to Mavericks. I love the new functionality and I do like the UI, but to me it wasn't as usable.

----------

Just for fun – the 'short period' is not defined, and so on …

I might occasionally compare a percentage in this poll (limited to MacRumors voters) with a broader measurement of Yosemite traffic. That's twenty percent at the time of writing.

I think the masses will love Yosemite. A small part of me hoped the average user would complain about usability and force Apple to make some changes, but lets face it, it's flash and matches iOS. That's all the average consumer cares about.*

*by average consumer I mean non-techy who just use their computer to check Facebook and surf the web. I'm not trying to be demeaning.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
How many of you are going to update to Yosemite? Are you going to wait a while? Are you going to stay on Mavericks?

Personally I've updated. I'm a bit undecided on whether I should update (or make any such recommendation to) non-techie friends and (older) family members due to concerns over legibility.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… A small part of me hoped the average user would complain about usability and force Apple to make some changes, but lets face it, it's flash and matches iOS. That's all the average consumer cares about.*

*by average consumer I mean non-techy who just use their computer to check Facebook and surf the web. I'm not trying to be demeaning.

I don't think that's demeaning.

Similarly, I encourage people to be not dismissive of things that are posted in social media such as Facebook and Twitter. https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20275923#post20275923 two weeks ago began with a 'story' discovered behind one of the very few tweets that I decided to investigate. https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20311326&#post20311326 a few days later, in a less popular topic, seemed to have greater impact – maybe because it pictured a person's Mac-related joy, contrasted with her later revulsion at the ugliness of Yosemite. From the tail of that post:

… At least in MacRumors Forums, it appears to me that average and above average measurements of loyalty, in a past era, have been zero'd out – or worse – by Apple design directions in a post-Jobs era. That should not be misconstrued as a criticism of the leadership of Tim Cook; it's not targeting any individual.

There must remain, within Apple, groups of people (not necessarily seniors) who realise the wrongness of recent directions. This post is a plea of sorts for those people to do more to make heard, make read, their voices.

A few days later I stumbled across a rare public representation of voices from within Apple. I prefer to not draw attention to that publication (to anyone who's curious: don't bother Googling – it's a needle in a haystack, and that needle is without the expected keywords).

Attention, instead, to something that delighted Tim Cook before the release of Yosemite: customer satisfaction – reportedly one hundred percent at the time. Related to measures of satisfaction …

Measures of Apple customer loyalty

The picture at https://twitter.com/grahamperrin/status/533696885132120066 suggests an extraordinarily poor score for Yosemite. Discussion:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Measures of Apple customer loyalty

Thank you. I found your references interesting. I'll be very curious to see how the new theme, and direction in general play out. I don't expect many hints in 10.11, but by 10.12 I think we'll begin to see whether Apple's new direction and software design appropriate.

-------------------

About loyalty: I'm relatively new to Apple (since 2010). As of now I have extreme loyalty. Despite my first iPhone and MacBook breaking down prematurely (though I did get replacements) I still bought a new phone and I got a Mac Mini for my mother.

iOS wise, I'm happy. iOS has been growing tremendously since Jobs' passing (not that he was a roadblock). I'm less happy with the Mac. OS X has changed so much and I would be fine with that (even the new UI) if I didn't feel the professionalism and functionality slowly diminishing. When I bought my first Mac it felt special. Little details in OS X and the simple yet functional apps. I've enjoyed its developments such as full screen, multiple display optimization, Mission Control, Mavericks under the hood updates and the UI refinement brought by Lion. But now things are less special. OS X has lost many of the little things I loved and if you look at the "updated" iWork and iLife apps even as far back as Mavericks they were loosing functionality. It seemed like every iLife update after iLife '11 has 3/5 stars and I know that I still have the old iMovie for certain projects. I LOVED Pages '09 and patiently waited 3 years only to be sucker punched. And they discontinued development for Aperture for that iPhoto knock off "Photos."

They improving in some ways with iCloud Drive and other improvements, but it seems like the more the tie the two OSes together the stronger iOS gets (good) and the weaker OS X gets (sad). I mean, I sit in front of my 2013 15" rMBP and see incurable hardware with sub-par, almost tablet-level apps. Also, I don't by that "third parties make the ecosystem." Yes, 3rd party apps comprise a huge part of my workflow, but the apps made by the manufacturer of the hardware and developer of the software should be stables of the system. Overall, the Mac is just shifting from a niche focus to the masses.

And all the while, Windows is making some great strides in terms of performance (W8 is very fluid) and feature set with Windows 10. I'm still loyal to OS X, but if Apple continues this "meh, it's good" trend and Microsoft continues it's decent development I don't know what I'll choose in 4 years.

Last edited:

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I will - but later - I always wait until the .2 or .3 release to make sure most of my 3rd party hardware/software glitches should be fixed.

Me too. I don't want to take any chances with all my apps and devices not working properly.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Last week I bought a brand new rMBP.
It came with Mavricks.

I was impressed by how fast the machibe was comparred to my iMac.

I fresh installed Yosemite.
Didn't like the UI at all,it lacked the "professionalism" of the Mavricks UI.

While I liked the new features,I realised it is eating at least 2GB extea Ram comparred to Mavricks.
And worst than all,Restart and shutdown times were significantly slower.
And that's a brand new capable Macbook Pro with no addidional Apps installed.

I now re installed Mavricks.so much better,faster and more reliable than Yosemite.

Yosemite is the worst version of OSX.it's almost like Windows 8 of OSX.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I updated my late 2011 15" mbp. I wish I hadn't. I don't notice any improvements (I don't use Safari, and I don't have much use for iCloud. Not sure what else I should notice.)

As a whole, my computer runs slower and gets hung up more often. I now have numerous incidences of waiting for the pinwheel to stop spinning -- when I'm doing things that I'd done many times before Yosemite.

And my WD My Book external drive has suddenly gone afritz -- although I have no idea whether that has anything to do with the update.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Are You Going To Install Yosemite?

I updated my late 2011 15" mbp. I wish I hadn't. I don't notice any improvements (I don't use Safari, and I don't have much use for iCloud. Not sure what else I should notice.)

As a whole, my computer runs slower and gets hung up more often. I now have numerous incidences of waiting for the pinwheel to stop spinning -- when I'm doing things that I'd done many times before Yosemite.

And my WD My Book external drive has suddenly gone afritz -- although I have no idea whether that has anything to do with the update.

1. Do you have enough RAM and no other hardware hickups?

2. Backup / Clone your MBP to external HDD
3. Reformat your MBP HDD/SSD
4. Check for any disk failures running test with Disk Utilty
5. Clean install Yosemite from USB install drive
6. During install migrate your user/apps/prefs/data to your new installation from backup/clone from external HDD using Migration Assistent
7. Use ONYX to do a true cleaning and rebuild job! During that process just take a drink and relax! ;-)
8 Reboot and then report back with your findings about Yosemite on your MBP!

Good Luck! When you are still very unhappy, then just restore your Mavericks installation and/or restore from your Mavericks backup!

Cheers

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
Thanks for the response. I've got 8 mg RAM and no other problems with the MBP that I know of. (I'm not including my recent issues with my external hard drive.)

Can you give me a little more detail on the clean install? I'm a bit clueless about these things.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner, and I can clone my MBP tonight. When you write "Clean install Yosemite from USB install drive", what are you referring to? Restoring the clone I made?

For 6 -- When I do the Yosemite install, will I get a prompt asking me if I want to migrate my user/apps/prefs/data?

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Thanks for the response. I've got 8 mg RAM and no other problems with the MBP that I know of. (I'm not including my recent issues with my external hard drive.)

Can you give me a little more detail on the clean install? I'm a bit clueless about these things.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner, and I can clone my MBP tonight. When you write "Clean install Yosemite from USB install drive", what are you referring to? Restoring the clone I made?

For 6 -- When I do the Yosemite install, will I get a prompt asking me if I want to migrate my user/apps/prefs/data?

So you don't have serious hardware issues! That's good to know!

Although I'm not sure if 8GB RAM is a satisfying amount. What (pro) applications do you run in general?

1. Do you have a recent CCC with Mavericks? Keep it, DON'T clone your MBP with Yosemite on to it yet, because if your not happy with Yosemite you can restore your MBP to Mavericks from it.
2. You can copy the Yosemite installer to your external HDD and install from there!
3. During a clean install of Yosemite, you'll be asked if you want to use Migration Assistant. Just select your Mavericks CCC backup and all is done for you!

Last edited:

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
My last CCC was done at the end of september, so I assume that is still Mavericks. But if I re-install that clone, I assume I'll lose everything I've put on my computer (mostly music files) since then?

Also -- Maybe I'm missing something. If I reinstall Yosemite and then download and run Onyx to to a "clean and rebuild", but I then move over the clone -- wont that put back any of the problems I just fixed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.