Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are You Going To Update To Yosemite

• Yes, I'm updating now (or within a short period of time)

Votes: 84 48.0%
  • Yes, but I'm going to wait a while first

Votes: 43 24.6%
  • No, I'm sticking with 10.9 or earlier

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • Only on my Retina device (assuming you have Retina and non Retina)

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm just curious and I didn't see an actual poll.

How many of you are going to update to Yosemite? Are you going to wait a while? Are you going to stay on Mavericks?

Is anyone else a little sad to see the Mavericks design go even though they like some elements in Yosemite? :(

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I'm going to wait and see how MBA users find it based on battery life and it's appearance on a non retina screen.

I have a 2012 MBA. The only thing I don't like about the current OS is Safari. Everything else is okay so I don't want to mess with it unless I know for sure that it's what I want.

I was hoping for a Retina MBA as I'm due for an MBA upgrade, and thus would have bought one obviously with Yosemite. But looks like I'll have to wait until next year for that. :(

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I decided to update. The features I wanted (Notification Center, Improved Safari, iOS 8 integration) outweighed the cost of loosing a dependable UI.

I am pleasantly surprised. Except for a few areas where legibility could be improved, the new UI really does fade away (at least for me), when focusing on work.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Not enough options, I have both, but I just don't like the vibe of Yosemite that much. It's gonna be my secondary OS for a while yet.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I updated my MBP 13" late 2013 without hesitation and so far I love it. Really a fresh breath of air. I'm really loving Safari and how it handles recent sites.

richdruitt

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
I've installed it on my Mac Pro and my iMac, but I'm not installing it on my MacBook Air. I'm really not a big fan of the changes they've made to calendar. They've removed list view, which for me, made it much easier to manage all the tasks in my calendar. So, I'm going to wait out upgrading all my machines until either they bring list view back, or I get used to not having it around.

DrkStr

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm usually an early adopter. But this time I feel like I want to wait a while until the first fixes and 3rd party upgrades come out. I'm not thrilled with the new design but I don't hate it.

Off topic, but I realized I've had a flat dock on Mavericks for the last 5 months! Positioning the dock on the left or right on 10.9 has the frosted glass look. At least that'll be easy to get used to.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Apple Calendar without list view; consider BusyCal

… calendar. They've removed list view …

Ouch. If the pre-release appearance of Yosemite had been more tolerable, I would have tested Calendar – and certainly I would have complained about loss of functionality. Sorry for overlooking things.

Send feedback to Apple. Make your use cases as clear as possible – they may seem obvious to you, but just occasionally Apple seems to wilfully ignore the obvious usefulness of something.

Make some noise. I suspect that making suitable noises worked for the sidebar (it was removed – twice – from iCal; on the second occasion I dug my heels in to absolutely reject the loss of functionality).

There's BusyCal, but it's wrong of Apple to remove functionality in a way that requires the user to abandon a key part of the operating system.

wildmangk

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2014
I'm going to wait and see how MBA users find it based on battery life and it's appearance on a non retina screen.

I have a 2012 MBA. The only thing I don't like about the current OS is Safari. Everything else is okay so I don't want to mess with it unless I know for sure that it's what I want.

I was hoping for a Retina MBA as I'm due for an MBA upgrade, and thus would have bought one obviously with Yosemite. But looks like I'll have to wait until next year for that. :(

Running great on my 2014 MBA. It hasnt shown any performance issues and I do miss the 3d dock, everything is flat now unfortunately.

dam006

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've installed on my MacBookPro and am one of the unfortunate ones that is having WiFi issues. I haven't upgraded my iMac yet. Given the issues with my MB I'm holding off with my iMac for now.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Yosemite installed on my late 2009 iMac 27" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 12 GB RAM. Works great. I had some issues with Mail under Mt. Lion and Mavericks, but Mail seems to work much better now under Yosemite. I'm sort of lazy and like to keep 6 or 8 Safari windows open, each with several tabs. Under Mt. Lion and Mavericks I would get occasional "beach balls" and freeze-ups, but not so much (so far) under Yosemite.

I did a standard Yosemite update, not a clean install. Liking it so far, no problems.

After I give this a few more days I'll install Yosemite on my wife's early 2009 24" iMac. Her iMac has only 4GB RAM, so I'm going to think about it first. Her iMac is now running Mavericks with no particular problems.

If anyone who reads this knows if Yosemite will run well in 4 GB of RAM, please chime in. For some reason RAM is particularly expensive for an early 2009-vintage 24" iMac, and I'm not eager to spend a lot for more ram on a 5 year-old computer that's basically working OK now.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
I'm just curious and I didn't see an actual poll.

How many of you are going to update to Yosemite? Are you going to wait a while? Are you going to stay on Mavericks?

Is anyone else a little sad to see the Mavericks design go even though they like some elements in Yosemite? :(

Hell yes. Hated Mavericks. From the day I downloaded it my MBpro ran like junk. Used way more ran than anticipated and they said it was more efficient.

Yosemite runs smooth, and the modern look is a breath of fresh air apple needed. Feel like it matured and got younger simultaneously

Absolutely love the connection for text/talk. Use it more that I ever thought I would

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
Nope! not yet anyway... installed it on my test macbook and cannot run (or is buggy) software needed for work e.g. NetExtender, apple remote desktop etc... Also seems sluggish also. Need a working machine so will hold off for now..

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
I'm on the fence here with my MBA 2012 reading about WiFi issues some have, especially with the 5 GHz band. This seems to be an issue with iOS 8 too (have it on my iPads), so it would not be fun to have to play the waiting game until Apple fixes it.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Yosemite only for testing purposes and one or two apps like Day One...

Most of the time, my trusty SL does all the work without fuss - damn speedy Finder... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.