Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NO! they cheaped out with the Touch version.]

Well, the iPod touch 4G costs most than the 2nd gen model so, it sure ain't cheap.

"Retina" display is resolution only - it is not the same screen as the iPhone it's not IPS.

It IS the same display - there's no way Apple would have two completely different screens manufactured, that's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.

Appears to have a rear mike only which is going to be a problem while holding it and speaking at the front for FaceTime.

I'll bet it's a non-issue as mics these days are extremely sensitive at picking up ambient sounds omnidirectionally - just as long as you don't "hold it that way" meaning you hold it in some manner where you put a fingertip or something over the mic hole completely blocking it.

Back camera is cheap .7M (VGA) and only works decently as a movie camera.

Because that's what it is - who the hell would dream of doing "pro level photography" with any camera in any portable device like phones or PMPs these days anyway? It works, it's useful, end of story.

No GPS which is a badly needed feature in a portable device.

That's what the iPhone is for.

No 3G connectivity which was rumored but dropped

Never was 3G connectivity ever considered for the iPod touch, it's ridiculous to think otherwise. That's what the iPhone is for. Think of it this way: if Apple would give everyone 99% of the functionality of the iPhone for over half the cost (meaning that 1% would be the cell phone circuit itself), they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Back material is the old and hated instant scratch polished stainless steel
:mad:

That's what cases are for. Anyone spending that much money on such a device and not putting SOME KIND OF CASE ON IT even a plain simple Latex "skin" of some kind on it is a complete nutcase and their opinions should simply be dismissed as blabbering.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Pretty cool device.

It's a shame it doesn't have GPS. This was the first time I was really hoping for a particular feature to be added to any Apple product.

GPS would have been great for:

Navigation
Social Check Ins
Geolocation for Photos
Jogging/Biking Tracking for distance, routes, etc.
I believe that the issue with GPS is Apple's view of implementation.

While a GPS would know your location, it wouldn't be able to DL the map without 3G. This would mean that your touch would need to contain the maps ahead of time. I believe that Apple's view is to use via real time.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
It IS the same display - there's no way Apple would have two completely different screens manufactured, that's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.

I beg to differ, they may share the same resolution and pixel count but they are 2 different LCD panels. You can easily see the difference in visual quality at an acute viewing angle between the two devices which would clearly indicate that IPS technology is not being used in the new touch retina display.

capturevy.jpg

Ds92

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
I know this is really minor but I love that the chrome can no longer be seen all along the sides when you look at the touch face front!

Attachments

• apple-ipod-touch-with-camera-7.jpg
    apple-ipod-touch-with-camera-7.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 70

tubemonkey

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009

They have two completely different bodies made, so why not two different displays? After all, it's an expensive component. At $28.50, it's the single most expensive part of the iPhone.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Canada
They have two completely different bodies made, so why not two different displays? After all, it's an expensive component. At $28.50, it's the single most expensive part of the iPhone.

Bah I'd happily pay an extra $30 for an IPS display on the Touch.
Darn apple for cheaping out on the most important part :mad:

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Appears to have a rear mike only which is going to be a problem while holding it and speaking at the front for FaceTime.

The mic should work plenty well as long as you don't cover it with your hand, which no natural hold should.

This mic is also intended for shooting video, where your subjects might be 10 feet away. These mics are generally very sensitive. It's like when you are operating a camcorder. The mics aren't pointed at you, they're on the front of the camera. Yet, anytime you talk, your loud stupid voice making dumb commentary takes over the audio with ease (I've done this many times).

Fear not, this mic will work great for FaceTime.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Bah I'd happily pay an extra $30 for an IPS display on the Touch.
Darn apple for cheaping out on the most important part :mad:

But you or anybody that buys the 8GB model is paying an extra $30 over the 2nd gen model (there was no 3rd gen 8GB iPt) so there you go, there's the IPS Retina Display cost factored into the 8GB iPt 4G - it doesn't matter as much on the 32GB and 64GB models hence their pricing stays the same.

See how that works out?

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
NO! they cheaped out with the Touch version.
"Retina" display is resolution only - it is not the same screen as the iPhone it's not IPS.
snip snip...
:mad:

How the heck else do you think they are going to price it ~$400 (in Canada where you can buy an iPhone) less than the iPhone 4, something has to give.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
But you or anybody that buys the 8GB model is paying an extra $30 over the 2nd gen model (there was no 3rd gen 8GB iPt) so there you go, there's the IPS Retina Display cost factored into the 8GB iPt 4G - it doesn't matter as much on the 32GB and 64GB models hence their pricing stays the same.

See how that works out?

No, it is not IPS. If it were IPS, it would say explicitly. Apple always flaunts its IPS displays, in the iPhone, iPad, and iMac. Look on the iPod touch page - not anywhere does it say "IPS." Look at the picture posted above. Clearly different from the iPhone.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Really? Excellent. I didn't see that anywhere on the website. Also, is the 8GB option a rehashed 3G? Or does it pack the A4 and likely 512 RAM? Speed is everything for me. :cool:

EDIT: Just found the spot. A++ upgrade. Much better than last year. Remember those 'wish' lists? I think everything came true (except 128GB and 3G). :D

So does the 8GB have the A4 and 512MB ram? that's the deal breaker for me,I want the exact same specs except for space as the high ends...Or it looks like i'll be getting a 32GB 3G refurb.I just can't justify 300 bucks on a touch.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I am starting to wonder if the A4 is even the new 512M Ram version, at least I did not see it in the specs. We will have to see a teardown that shows the chip ID before we know that for sure.
But to speculate though, since Apple cheaped out on the screen it is possible that the new touch has only 256M RAM to save a bit on cost but that is only speculation at this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.