Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
grapes911 said:
I can't find any reports of why this is, but this article explains why polling only 1000 people is fairly accurate on representing the view all of Americas (assuming the poll is done correctly).
Not if all thousand people are stupid. ;)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
OnceUGoMac said:
Perhaps I mis-spoke.BBC is funded by licensed fees (how is this not a taxation) from when you buy a t.v. set. Who's responsible for the licenses? That said, who runs the BBC? According to Wikipedia:

"It is an autonomous corporation run by a board of governors appointed by the government for a term of four years (formerly five years). This is soon to be changed to a BBC trust. Management of the organisation is in the hands of a Director-General appointed by the governors. Its domestic programming and broadcasts are funded by levying television licence fees upon the owners of television sets."

The point is that the BBC isn't funded by advertising, which you dismissed from my previous post. Therefore, unlike Fox the BBC isn't responsible to its advertisers. The cost of the adverts are dictated by ratings. Do you disagree? I fail to see your point in comparing the BBC to Fox, which are two different models. Apologies if I sounded smarmy from my OP, but I am. :)

Although they are different models, the subject of the licence fee is politically contentious, and therefore the BBC is extremely concerned about ratings because it — and the licence fee — is under constant attack from various national papers (also owned by Rupert Murdoch) and other UK broadcasters. On a side note: newspapers in Britain have far greater influence over the national debate and government policy than they do in the U.S.

Although the licence fee does represent a tax upon the owning and operating of a television set, it is not collected by government but rather by a privately-held firm — Capita — which administers the TV licensing authority.

The BBC is responsible for the most-listened to national radio station (Radio 2) and BBC 1 — the main terrestial TV broadcaster — is in a constant battle for ratings against the privately-owned national network, ITV. It also gains a substantial slice of income from the sale of its programming to overseas broadcasters, and these international efforts and its merchandising arm are very much market-driven and aware.

So, my original comment was related to this point:

You have to show what people want. If mindless entertainment is what the population demainds, then that is what you have to show. Only a mindless business who doesn't use their brains would do anything different.

Anyone who is familiar with the entire content of the BBC's television output is conscious that they are also capable of producing extremely mindless, vacuous programming... however they also produce some extremely high-quality shows which also manage to combine ratings success with critical acclaim.

However, it is not the only national broadcaster that manages to do this. Far from being a 'mindless business', Channel4 is also capable of producing or at least commissioning hiqh-quality programming... but in their words, "Unlike the BBC, Channel 4 receives no public funding. It is funded entirely by its own commercial activities. Unlike the BBC, Channel 4 receives no public funding. It is funded entirely by its own commercial activities ... More than three-quarters of the UK’s population watch Channel 4 services in the course of an average week." http://www.channel4.com/about_c4/information.html

My point is that it is not axiomatic that ratings and critical success are mutually exclusive, and that people will — if given a chance — watch things that they wouldn't normally watch if these programs are promoted and not shifted around the schedules into dead slots like an unwanted and red-haired step-child.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
This quote was taken from IMDb;

This show was so dumb. It didn't even have a laugh track? How were we supposed to know when it was funny?

This person was not kidding either. He followed up with this comment;

I am serious. This show was an example of whats wrong with the USA. It shows us that being greedy and immoral are supposedly funny and OK. 7th Heavn and Full House and the Cosby's were shows that were good for us to watch.

I'm left speechless.

XNine

macrumors 68040
rickvanr said:

I'm left speechless.

What a ****ing moron. HE/SHE'S what's wroing with the USA. I'm sorry, the Cosby's were great. IN THE ****ING 80'S YOU ****** ****** **** ******** AND I BET YOUR MOM ****** **** TO THE ***** OF A ***** YOU SOMA GUINNEA PIG!!!!!!

Gah! Now we need a laugh track to tell us when to laugh? Jesus ******** Christ! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I hate stupid ass people! This is what Aldous Huxley was envisioning in his book A Brave New World.

Morons who need to be told how to do EVERYTHING.

I am seeing red right now. I feel sorry for the Tmobile guy that has to put up with me tonight when I chew him out for selling me a shoddy phone for business purposes.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
rickvanr said:

I'm left speechless.

Dude...seriously...I hope that guy was just being facetious. If not, it's disturbing that I have to share the planet with people like that.

mac4drew

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2003
California
Lyle said:
I thought I'd read something somewhere that said that FOX has given Mitch Hurwitz permission to shop the show around to other networks. I don't know if that was merely rumor or a fact, though.

Fact. Here's a clip from an article in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Tim Goodman said:
Then again, Ligouri and Fox have apparently given approval for creator and executive producer Mitch Hurwitz to shop the series elsewhere. Which brings up the most frequently asked question:

Q: What are the chances someone else will pick up the series and save it?

It's a pretty interesting and informative article.

I too want to plug myspace.com/arresteddevelopment once more. This is the first time I've joined a mailing campaign for a show, I love it that much. If you like it as much as I do, take a few minutes out of your day to save it. The amazing actors and writers on this show have given us hours of entertainment, and we can pay them back with just a few minutes of our time.

Also check out the DVD's, high sales couldn't hurt (Amazon already has Season 2 at #1 and Season 1 at #3 sales ranks!). It's like $30 for both of em, which, in my opinion, is a damn good deal, I just bought it.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
"Give me 13 episodes of "Arrested Development" over five years of soul-sucking lameness like "According to Jim" any day."

Hehehe :)

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
They would have cancelled Arrested Development a long time ago if it wasn't for those emmys. I think the average american wants either a stupid reality show or a sitcom where they know when to laugh thanks to the studio audience. I also haven't watched it since it got bumped from sunday nights to a crappy timeslot.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
For all who are interested, there is a new episode of Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential starting at 8 PM on FOX.

I'd like to further blame FOX's advertisement group for the failure of the two shows. Last night while semi-watching the Simpsons and Family Guy I caught one preview for AD and KC, while it seemed that every other commercial had an ad for Nanny 911. I just don't get it.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
rickvanr said:
For all who are interested, there is a new episode of Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential starting at 8 PM on FOX.

I'd like to further blame FOX's advertisement group for the failure of the two shows. Last night while semi-watching the Simpsons and Family Guy I caught one preview for AD and KC, while it seemed that every other commercial had an ad for Nanny 911. I just don't get it.

You catch any of the ads for their new show, Skating With Celebrities?

Yes.

You read that correctly.

AD gets cancelled, drivel like this takes its place. A bunch of washed up actors/comedians getting trounced around on the ice with professional figure skaters. Boggles the mind.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
MattG said:
You catch any of the ads for their new show, Skating With Celebrities?

Yes.

You read that correctly.

AD gets cancelled, drivel like this takes its place. A bunch of washed up actors/comedians getting trounced around on the ice with professional figure skaters. Boggles the mind.

Oh, I saw that a few times too. It's really getting pathetic, but the rednecks love it.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Tonight's show was just too funny. I won't give anything away for anyone who's on the west coast, but man...how I will miss this show.

"WHY AM I NOT GOING UNDER WATER?!?!" :D

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
asif786 said:
I'm not sure if you guys have seen it (well, I'm sure MattG has ;)) but here's a little clip from David Cross talking about arrested development and why it's been cancelled:

http://live.watchmactv.com/featured/arresteddevelopment/

I guess this could be seen as shameless self-promotion..but it's relevant..

oh, and BTW it contains swearing so it's NSFW..

Actually I hadn't seen it -- thanks for the link!

Wow he's pissed...kind of hard to take him seriously wearing that fat suit, though :)

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
i don't think that was shameless self-promotion. i think that was pride, and i guarantee you won't see that kind of emotional outburst on the set of "according to jim".

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
trebblekicked said:
i don't think that was shameless self-promotion. i think that was pride, and i guarantee you won't see that kind of emotional outburst on the set of "according to jim".

Hey..when I said 'shameless self promotion' I meant me posting a link to a macTV page when I actually run macTV. I know stuff like that kinda upsets some members..

The video itself is great..and I hope to see the second part soon :)

superfunkomatic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
calgary, ab canada
shouldn't surprise anyone. it's a fantastically written show, very funny and very clever. reminiscent of old episodes of seinfeld, which also wasn't successful for the first few years. funny how it turned out to be one of the most popular shows on tv, ever.

return to regular programming - model searches, shows where people get voted off or fired. personally i think they should just go to that old video of the monkey sticking his finger in his butt and smelling it - 24 hours a day.

maybe with itunes videos starting to take off shows will start getting an audience outside of mainstream corporate tv.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I heard about this on Fox's forums today!

While it would irk me to give the damned cable company one more dime of my money each month, if buying watching AD means buying Showtime, so be it :eek:

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
MattG said:
I heard about this on Fox's forums today!

While it would irk me to give the damned cable company one more dime of my money each month, if buying watching AD means buying Showtime, so be it :eek:

You're lucky, I don't think Showtime is even available in Canada. I can't even get on their webpage.

We at Showtime Online express our apologies; however, these pages are intended for access only from within the United States.

But hey, I'd still be able to pick up the DVDs and get the new episodes on bit torrent.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
asif786 said:
I'm not sure if you guys have seen it (well, I'm sure MattG has ;)) but here's a little clip from David Cross talking about arrested development and why it's been cancelled:

http://live.watchmactv.com/featured/arresteddevelopment/

I guess this could be seen as shameless self-promotion..but it's relevant..

oh, and BTW it contains swearing so it's NSFW..
I just got the season 2 DVD and just realised this clip is actually in the blooper reel... haha...

BTW, for those who got that DVD, I just bowled over laughing at the way they played with the word "banana stand"... haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.