Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
In Germany we're starting to get 21Mbps this fall and AT&T now plans 7.2Mbps HSDPA for 2011. There definetly seems to be something wrong in the US in broadband and mobile internet. :confused:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The tubes are already clogged. :mad:
Isn't that the point behind the first three bullets of their press release?

Near-Doubling Radio Frequency Capacity, More Bandwidth to Cell Sites, More Cell Sites

In Germany we're starting to get 21Mbps this fall and AT&T now plans 7.2Mbps HSDPA for 2011. There definetly seems to be something wrong in the US in broadband and mobile internet. :confused:
Hi, and your country is the size of which one of the US states?! :D If the US carriers only had to cover an area slightly smaller than Montana, they'd probably bit a bit more progressive with rolling out the new stuff. :D

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Hopefully this ends the "AT&T sucks in my area" comments that plague the boards.

Really, I'm with you. Besides, coverage for me has been more than adequate. They suck in many other ways (SMS text pricing topping the list), however. :p

I really dislike all the carriers, truth be told. They all continue to collude on many pricing and contractual fronts. They may as well merge and become one company, one monopoly, since there doesn't seem to be any real significant monetary or contract-packaged differences between them.

Competition is supposed to breed value, spur innovation, and/or provide quality to the customer. Quality can be pretty subjective, but I think value and innovation is a red herring when considering press releases like this. Nothing they are doing significantly affects me or my budget now or in the near future.

Forgive me that I'm not particularly impressed with AT&T's 7.2 Mbps 3G announcement.

:apple:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Correct. While the 3G chip inside current iPhones supports 7.2Mbps, Apple is highly unlikely to unlock those speeds with a firmware update due to the diminished battery life. The next iPhone will have a more efficient chipset as well as an improved battery, making the 7.2Mbps implimentation more feasable.
It's still going to hit battery life-- just the additional radio power required to pump the data out will hit battery life.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Agreed. However there are a lot more people living in a much broader area in the States than in Germany. That still doesn't excuse the lack of technological mobile advancements (Mobile carrier and ISP wise).

Off topic: Frustrating that Verizon FiOS and AT&T's Uverse are still being deployed in many US cities. Especially in Rochester, NY, where Frontier (formerly Rochester Telephone) and Time Warner have monopolies for ISP and television (my Time Warner bill in NYC for cable with HD DVR and Roadrunner is ~$80/month, and that same plan is more than $150 in Rochester). Verizon FiOS is offered in Buffalo and Syracuse (the main Western NY hub is in Buffalo) but due to contracts with the city of Rochester, they can not market there.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Hi, and your country is the size of which one of the US states?! :D If the US carriers only had to cover an area slightly smaller than Montana, they'd probably bit a bit more progressive with rolling out the new stuff. :D

True up to a point, but let's say it's Vodafone doing the upgrade in Germany ... and the UK ... and France ... and Spain ... and Italy ... and Ireland ... etc, etc.

A single company in Europe can somehow upgrade its network across a multitude of land-areas equivalent in size to the non-barely populated parts of the USA, with a similar population, quite quickly.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Where is 3G in Asheville NC?

It would be nice if AT&T would hurry up and implement 3G in Asheville, NC. Right now we only have Edge! :mad:

zentraedi

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
Not with the latency of mobile broadband.

I've tried the 14.4mbps Vodafone USB dongles here, and they achieve nowhere near the connection they should - partly due to the latency and partly due to the fact you need to be up on the transmitter tower standing right bloody next to the transmitters to actually get that throughput. :rolleyes:

Latency isn't that bad.

I don't have a 14.4 Mbps dongle, only a 7.2 Mbps down / 5.8 Mbps up dongle and this is what I get on my Macbook:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I really dislike all the carriers, truth be told. They all continue to collude on many pricing and contractual fronts. They may as well merge and become one company, one monopoly, since there doesn't seem to be any real significant monetary or contract-packaged differences between them.
Really?

Sprint's "Simply Everything" plans should save you 20%-30% a month compared to AT&T and Verizon, .. T-Mobile saves you around 15%.

Most of the big carriers now have unlimited minute plans for $99/month. That would have cost you over $200 two+ years ago.

Verizon (since merging with Alltel early this year) has the Friends and Family thing where you can get unlimited minutes to a certain number of phone numbers.

Seems like there's been a lot going on with the major US carriers over the last year or two. :confused:

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Actually Europe is substantially larger than the US both in terms of area and population, and cell service is dramatically better throughout Europe. US carriers are demonstrably inferior. All of them, not just AT&T.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Actually Europe is substantially larger than the US both in terms of area and population, and cell service is dramatically better throughout Europe. US carriers are demonstrably inferior. All of them, not just AT&T.

Substantially larger? Without Alaska perhaps makes the difference about 1,000,000 km^2. Otherwise the difference is about 350,000 km^2. Both the US and Europe are roughly 10,000,000 km^2.

Anyway, Europe has a much higher population density and especially around urban areas. The US isn't built the same in terms of urban layout. So building a cellular network is much easier when the population is condensed into fewer areas.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
True up to a point, but let's say it's Vodafone doing the upgrade in Germany ... and the UK ... and France ... and Spain ... and Italy ... and Ireland ... etc, etc.

A single company in Europe can somehow upgrade its network across a multitude of land-areas equivalent in size to the non-barely populated parts of the USA, with a similar population, quite quickly.

I was surprised to learn that The European Union is larger in sq footage and population than the United States. The European Union has 493 million inhabitants living in (roughly) 4 million square miles, compared to 307 million living in (roughly) 3.79 million square miles in the United States.

For clarification, European countries consist of:

Scandinavia: Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark

The British Isles: the United Kingdom and Ireland

Western Europe: France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Monaco

Southern Europe: Portugal, Spain, Andorra, Italy, Malta, San Marino, and Vatican City

Central Europe: Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary

Southeastern Europe: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, and the European part of Turkey

Eastern Europe: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, the European portion of Russia, and, by convention, the Transcaucasian countries of Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan

Anyway, Europe has a much higher population density and especially around urban areas. The US isn't built the same in terms of urban layout. So building a cellular network is much easier when the population is condensed into fewer areas.

Too true, which is what frustrates me about the US and the automotive industry (thank you Frank Lloyd Wright for forming the new American topography with "Broadacre City" as well as GM for ousting Los Angeles electric cable car system with Diesel buses, the world is doing so much better cause of you lol). Cities were/are built around automobiles, for many obvious reasons. Since NYC progressed (or REgressed) from the 19th century to the 20th century, American cities began building out instead of intelligently building (up). Now we have a social structure (and economic structure) revolving around automobiles and suburbia. One of the many reasons why this nation consists of sparsely populated homogenous suburbs, making for great socio-political tension.

/end rant lol

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK

Yeah, but many people are complaining of getting no 3G in their city of 750,000 people! We're not talking about a community of 100 people up in the hills, or a medieval village of 500 set in a valley in the middle of nowhere, where it would be okay to understand that they're not getting service (even in Europe).

iPie

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Milan, Italy
MicroCell Scam

MicroCell is just AT&T's ingenious way of getting its customers to pay for its poor quality infrastructure with a little help from Apple.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I can't even get my iPhone to perform at the current 3G speeds. Also, how fast do you need internet on a mobile phone?

I don't know, but at some point it's all moot because of the processing power. I was looking up stuff on IMDB on my phone earlier today and it was painfully slow compared to my computer, which was 2 feet away. It seems that 400Mhz shows its slowness in areas like that. The new iPhone's upgraded hardware should help that.

iPie

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Milan, Italy
Yeah, but many people are complaining of getting no 3G in their city of 750,000 people! We're not talking about a community of 100 people up in the hills, or a medieval village of 500 set in a valley in the middle of nowhere, where it would be okay to understand that they're not getting service (even in Europe).

AT&T service even in cities of 5-6 million people in the US is about par with the European standard existing in isolated island villages in Greece. America is not yet par with the third world.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
WAT?
By substantially larger to do you mean like ~46% smaller?
FAIL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA
Europe:
Area 10,180,000 km2 (3,930,000 sq mi)
Population 731,000,000
Pop. density 70/km2 (181/sq mi)

USA:
Area
- Total 9,826,630 km2
3,794,066 sq mi
- Water (%) 6.76
Population
- 2009 estimate 306,500,000[2] (3rd4)
- 2000 census 281,421,906[3]
- Density 31/km2 (180th)
80/sq mi

And yes, this does include Alaska and Hawaii. Time to go (back) to school Marksman and learn something.

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
Yeah, but many people are complaining of getting no 3G in their city of 750,000 people!
Many? One guy. And we don't know which city, nor do we know what his particular situation is. He may live in a cave, or in a building which has a structure functioning as a Faraday cage.

enkadrummer88

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
North Carolina
it's about time! AT&T sucks where I am, and I live in a generally large city, and a CERTAINLY large state population-wise... hopefully this will help with service and coverage in my area...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I remember when the iPhone first came out. ... I couldn't get a signal in my office, at best, 1 bar; all that steel in my building prevented a strong signal. Now, I'm happy to report that my reception is strong.

Same. AT&T's signal strength inside buildings has vastly improved since summer 2007.

I don't know, but at some point it's all moot because of the processing power. I was looking up stuff on IMDB on my phone earlier today and it was painfully slow compared to my computer, which was 2 feet away. It seems that 400Mhz shows its slowness in areas like that. The new iPhone's upgraded hardware should help that.

That's a very good point. Any mobile device lags compare to a computer even when both are on wifi. I think the biggest gains we'll see with the next iphone will come from the updated processor and RAM.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Vodafone appears to be a conglomerate of subsidiaries and joint ventures. :confused:

Their website shows that in Europe alone, they have 15 different CEOs, and that in many countries, Vodafone's a joint-venture with a locally-owned wireless provider (where they own between 2% and 100% interest). To point, Vodafone own 45% interest in Verizon Wireless.

That's a 100% different operational ballgame when compared to a "single company" carrier in the US, like AT&T.

Shookster

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I hope AT&T is mindful of the 2010 expiration date of its exclusivity contract with Apple, and this time make serious changes to improve the reliability of its network.

Reliability is more important than speed - a fast network is no use if you can't connect to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.