Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Before that step AT&T should let people freely use their "unlimited usage" first and allow apps like Slingplayer or other that kind be streamed over 3G. Thats what they should work on. Its pathetic that they move to faster 3G but still you wont be able use full potential of it because AT&T will s**t on themselves every time when iPhone user in US will open bandwidth hungry app.

Oh yeah....that makes a lot of sense (sarcasm)...allow these bandwidth intensive applications to chew up the network BEFORE you upgrade the network. HELLO?!?!? Think!

sschwar4

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I live well within, what AT&T terms "Best Coverage". What a joke.

300 dropped calls out of 1400 minutes. Data rates as fast as 156K.

I am certain their going to a faster data rate will effect only a small percentage of customers.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
This all sounds great, but what's the catch? 1GB bandwidth cap? No video streaming whatsoever? :rolleyes:

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Regretfully, my love for the US cell carriers is on hold until any of them impress me with more than just rhetoric and press announcements like this one today.
:apple:

Exactly. That's all this is. Something to get people excited about with the iPhone announcement around the corner. And in the end, the implementation and execution will fail and we will get some lame excuse like "AT&T is preparing for the next upgrade, which promises faster speeds, coming in 2014." I can't wait for the iPhone exclusivity to end.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Spare me with these, ``How come you don't have 21Mbps already,'' comments.

How about a "How come you don't have 200Mbps already" comment instead?

Virgin have just started trials in the UK of 200Mbps cable broadband.

Screwtape

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
Probably a stupid question, but is there any chance this can come to the iPhone via a software upgrade, or is this all hardware?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
What I don't understand is how any of them can be particularly flagged as competition for each other if they offer / impose roughly the same value, incentives, and penalties for the consumer.
Because despite offering "roughly" the same [whatever] most of them offer something unique that makes them competitive for certain groups of people.

Sprint's "Simply Everything" plans include unlimited data/text + a voice plan. The cheaper plans (400/900 minutes a month) save around $30/month over the price of the same services on AT&T/Verizon. Sprint's $99/month plan is unlimited data/txt + unlimited voice. That's a huge value that sets Sprint apart from the other three.

And how many years did T-Mobile offer the value of the "faves" before another national carrier (Verizon) picked up on it?

VZW's dumped billions in rural coverage and roaming agreements, so if you're someone who travels the US a lot and needs a signal, their network coverage (esp in rural areas) can be a huge incentive.

Thank god AT&T has the iPhone, because I can't really think of much they're doing to stand out from the other carriers. :)

I don't disagree with you that a lot of what the carriers do doesn't differentiate them from the others, but there are a few things that each of them are doing that I think does make a huge difference (when it comes to values and incentives, anyways).

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
FAIL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA
Europe:
Area 10,180,000 km2 (3,930,000 sq mi)
Population 731,000,000
Pop. density 70/km2 (181/sq mi)

You need to compare the coverage areas for the iPhone in Europe to the coverage areas for the iPhone in the US to make this a legitimate comparison, and you're not going to get that from Wikipedia. However, the reasons for the slow adoption of faster mobile in the US aren't really related to logistics, but to standards-body politics.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
From my perspective....

ATT needs to get their sheet together or I am leaving them at the end of my contract in 2010. The iphone is great but the dropped calls and no service found in a major metropolitan area like San Diego is just Bovine Scat.

Performance is measured by results and if ATT can not service cities like San Diego and San Francisco with decent coverage and few dropped calls they just don't deserve my business.

My hope is that Verizon gets the iphone in 2010 otherwise...hello Crackberry.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Hopefully this ends the "AT&T sucks in my area" comments that plague the boards.

I personally don't think AT&T sucks in any area I have been in with my iPhone. That doesn't mean I think AT&T is great, but over the past year AT&T has shown me they continue to need improvement with their 3G. In some places I get great signal with a pretty fast speed, but then there are places where I can go from great signal to no signal in a matter of about 300 feet. That is what bothers me about the current set up of the AT&T 3G network. Hopefully this new deployment will improve the speeds as well. I personally never experience dropped calls either. My only complaints are the availability of 3G and the top speeds I get with it.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I'm more excited about expansion of cell service than the speed increase. It'll make my service in Dallas even better. :)

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
European Union is not Europe. Think next time. I cited the European Union.

Bullsh*t. The original poster used the term Europe and not EU. You asked what topographical data to use. And that's what I answered to with the wikipedia link. In your posting you then continued to speak, about France, Spain, Germany and the EU while the original poster clearly that Europe and not the EU.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Wow!

I just wish I could get any cell phone service at my house. I have to drive 20 miles to get cell coverage.

If I could get 4g or this faster 3g, I could drop my slow DSL service.
:(:mad:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Actually Europe is substantially larger than the US both in terms of area and population, and cell service is dramatically better throughout Europe. US carriers are demonstrably inferior. All of them, not just AT&T.

Fact Check:

The continent of Europe is only somewhat larger than the US.
The European Union is less than half the size and population density more than three and a half times that of the US.

WirelessNetwork

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
Other Carriers Worse

Seriously I really thought that there is at least 7.2Mbps in the big cities in the US. Is it just for AT&T? What about the other carriers?

CDMA EVDO Rev A (Sprint and Verizon) is limited to 3.1 Mb/s on the downlink.

HDUPA on ATT (but sadly not implemented on the current iPhone) has a much faster uplink.

WirelessNetwork

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
Signal Strength Really Does Not Matter

Same. AT&T's signal strength inside buildings has vastly improved since summer 2007.

That's a very good point. Any mobile device lags compare to a computer even when both are on wifi. I think the biggest gains we'll see with the next iphone will come from the updated processor and RAM.

Recent disciplined measurements strongly indicate that for most of the cell carriers there is no correlation between signal strength (e.g. "bars") and network throughput.

Sufficient signal is the least problem ... enough radio bandwidth and enough backhaul bandwidth are the most serious problems.

Ultimately, more cell towers will be required to get enough SNR to use these higher burst speeds of 3.5G and 4G.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
I've never had an issue with dropped calls on the AT&T (cingular) network. Might be becuase I'm in a major city but seriously I think they do a pretty darn good job. The boosted 3G network is going to be niiiiiiiiiice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.