Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eternal 28

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
What a greedy mobile communications company! From eliminating 1000 text messages to unlimited data and the worst part throttling unlimited data plans users at 3GB for hspa+ and 5GB for LTE, and now increasing upgrade fee to $36. I cant believe he said every carrier throttles your data plan. Sprint and Verizon does not throttle. Verizon 4G LTE is purely throttle free, sprint just announced they plan to do the same.

trent54

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Who is this guy? Scrooge!! Laying awake at night pondering how to squeeze another Billion out of his customers while we lay awake at night worring about going over our Unlimited Cap.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Oh.... poor AT&T.... he lies awake at night because he might lose his ability to exploit his customers.

Let's think about an SMS message... its 160 characters.

So 8 text messages amounts to 1KB of data.

So 8000 text messages amounts to 1MB of data.

So 8,000,000 text messages amounts to 1GB of data.

And yet AT&T charges folks $30 for 3GB of data and $20 for unlimited text messaging.

Text messaging is a service that only exists because they have rigged the system so they can create a revenue stream for it. iMessage (and other similar services) simply level the field and make things fair for the user once more.

This whole post reads like a dictator who loses sleep over not being able to tax his constituents into absolute poverty because he is unable to account for the charitable donations the local church gives them in food and clothing to sustain their lives. After all, that charitable welfare could seriously mess with the tax revenue stream and business model the dictator has put in place.

It would be awesome if Apple would just acquire one of these companies, completely change how mobile networks were run and turn the competition into dumb pipes or put them out of business. Too bad these carriers are Apple's best customers.

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
BTW, I have ATT LTE and Verizon LTE in my hood, and guess what? ATT is 1/2 to 1/3 the speed, especially Upload, Verizon fricken screams!

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Wondered if AT&T is behind sending mass spam SMS for those who ditched SMS plan in favor of iMessage... #suspicious

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
This is terrible press for AT&T - what kind of douche bag owner says this kind of ****? I am so glad I am no longer with them!

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Actually, if they drop the subsidy the device is unlocked, and since you can use an iPad data plan on your iPhone, you can have a data only plan ;)
Again.. at that point I don't think they would really care.
But don't be shocked if they try and tack a voice plan on there. ;)

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Blaming iMessage??? it only works between Apple Devices.
how about Skype?? Or windows Live Messenger?
He never complained on those apps that have been around for much longer.
He just felt like whining today, I guess...
Greedy moron!

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Again.. at that point I don't think they would really care.
But don't be shocked if they try and tack a voice plan on there. ;)

They can't impose a voiceplan on an iPad plan. iPad has no voice capabilities. Now you'll say "but they have a clause in their contract saying you are not allowed to use your ipad data plan on other devices". Well, let's see if they can uphold that clause in a court of law. My bet is they can't and that is precisely why they haven't done anything to block it on unlocked phones.

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
d90d07c2-6277-78b8.jpg

Sine Qua Non

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
As someone who owns AT&T stock (not intentionally, it's part of another fund I invest in), he's doing what he's supposed to do.

Not doing everything in your power to improve the value of the company for shareholders means he would be breaking his fiduciary responsibility to those shareholders.

That said, I hate AT&T's service. But I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan, so I don't want to leave.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Maximizing share price is not part of a corporate manager's legal duties.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Well because corporations actually doing their customers a favor is so 20th century.

Why help the scum that buy your products when you can roll over and get a fat juicy bailout...

AND a lot of why AT&T is in the ******* it's in is because of the 'champagne management team' they had a few years ago. They spent all of the money on perks like jets and endless office refurbs and then were caught flat footed when people actually started bitching that they couldn't use their phones and were getting tossed all the time.

AT&T customers got what the management wanted them to have. Too bad they can't see what their monthly payments really bought... (Fat and greedy stupid management)

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
They can't impose a voiceplan on an iPad plan. iPad has no voice capabilities. Now you'll say "but they have a clause in their contract saying you are not allowed to use your ipad data plan on other devices". Well, let's see if they can uphold that clause in a court of law. My bet is they can't and that is precisely why they haven't done anything to block it on unlocked phones.

Actually with Ooma mobile you can call out from the iPad nicely.

fanboy05

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Somehow I SINCERELY doubt this CEO is pinching pennies and clipping coupons living paycheck to paycheck because they offered "unlimited data"

WHAT A LINE OF CRAP.
Greedy bastards:mad:

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
AT&T are a bunch of scumbags, but LOL @ at people thinking this is any different than Apple pricing.

"But apple makes such a good product!"

+$100 for 16gb of extra storage in an iPhone?
+$200 for 4gb of extra RAM in a MBP?

If you want to complain about their ****** performance, that's fine. I'm in DC and get ~1Mbps on their "4g" HSPA+ network.

But complaining about their text messaging is kind of silly. They aren't a non-profit. They simply offer a service, and you can choose to use it or not.

The main difference, though, is that they are a bit of a monopoly, and texting has become the status quo for communication.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson slept with and murdered a hooker while at the University of Central Oklahoma.

...not really

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Cheep Bastard

really he is whining about iMessage and Skype cutting in to their revenue. well let's see before either I only paid for 200 messages for 5 bucks and still do if they think I'm going to pay for the only option they offer now of 20 bucks a month their crazy pluss I get screwed for the data to. I bet that is pushing users to other methods. I don't hear him talkin about all the un used voice minutes people have that must put dollars in his pockets. I got one of those original unLIMITED plans. can't wait till contract is up. APPLE WIRELESS where are u I want to sign up.

PS does anyone notice the unusual increase in their data usage in the last month I have done nothing differently and the most data I ever used was 2.5 GB and this month it went way over 6 same with my sister in law different plans and she was always under 200 mb and all the sudden 4 GB this month STRANGE hmmmm

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I wasn't going to comment. However, after reading the CEO's comments, I'm disturbed. I understand a company needs to make money, profit, that's what companies do. However, this just wreaks of the negative's in capitalism. AT&T has made a fortune off the iPhone alone, yet they've haven't done much to improve their infrastructure as other telecomm's in the U.S. The fact that North America still requires 2 year contracts is baffling.

Honestly, I barely use my iPhone much these days, especially data. I'm certainly not in the norm, but I miss the days when RAZR's where da bomb. I could live without my iPhone. After reading this, I called AT&T and cancelled my service. Done. How smug for a CEO to make such comments and not expect the public/customers to do nothing. Maybe it's our "do nothing" mentality that makes him believe he can. I won't give my money to a company that treats its customer base so callously.

ironpw

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
AT&T charges $30 for shared text messages.

OUTRAGEOUS. :eek:
Text messaging should NOT cost anywhere near :mad:$20-$30:mad: a month for unlimited texts.

No wonder Apple's free iMessages is so awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.