Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I called to make the switch. I just started my 2 new lines in July. CSR was an annoying gatekeeper but after I got past them I got to retention and stated I heard from a friend 20GB for the price of 10GB from a friend and stated that if I was able to do this then I may potentially add another line in the future for the extra data (even though I had no intentions of doing so ). Rep checked my account and found I was eligible for this new promo because I'm on the Next plan financing 2 iPhone's and I already have 10GB of data.

----------

I called to make the switch. I just started my 2 new lines in July. CSR was an annoying gatekeeper but after I got past them I got to retention and stated I heard from a friend 20GB for the price of 10GB from a friend and stated that if I was able to do this then I may potentially add another line in the future for the extra data (even though I had no intentions of doing so ). Rep checked my account and found I was eligible for this new promo because I'm on the Next plan financing 2 iPhone's and I already have 10GB of data.

Also I mentioned the Sprint 20GB promo and asked them to match it. That was all I did. No need to threaten to cancel or anything!

I would recommend 611 and not the chat service and if it doesn't work the first time keep trying. And also hurry! This promo ends 10/31 and if you switch before you will be grandfathered in!

goknicks

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
also, there is an option to skip CSR and straight to retention. press "3" (not sure) to cancel service and that brings you to the retention dept.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I think AT&T and other carriers are realizing they have the capacity and can offer more data for the same price.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the 10GB plans are doubled to 20GB at some point.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I think AT&T and other carriers are realizing they have the capacity and can offer more data for the same price.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the 10GB plans are doubled to 20GB at some point.

They've always known they had the capacity...they are just trying to make extra profits.

----------

Just called. And they gave me the 20GB for life for the price of the 10GB!!!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Did the 10GB to 20GB upgrade this morning. Was put on a 15-minute hold but after that, it was just 5 minutes to make the changes to my account. Now I've got 20GB to burn for one week. Awesome. :)

yoseph6375

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
All of you who are using the Mobile Share Value plan, Do you upgrade every two years with this plan? or do you just keep it? or buy the phone out right (or NEXT)?
I really like this plan as it is giving you another 10gb but wasn't sure if it is worth to go from the old family plan (2 smartphone and 1 basic phone) to this when you have to pay $40 per line if you subsidize the phone ($15 if you do not change the plan but once you upgrade, it is $40). I want to make all three into smartphones though. Are there any good suggestions on this? Currently paying $150 (550 min, 2 3gb smartphones, unlimited text, 1 basic phone).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
All of you who are using the Mobile Share Value plan, Do you upgrade every two years with this plan? or do you just keep it? or buy the phone out right (or NEXT)?
I really like this plan as it is giving you another 10gb but wasn't sure if it is worth to go from the old family plan (2 smartphone and 1 basic phone) to this when you have to pay $40 per line if you subsidize the phone ($15 if you do not change the plan but once you upgrade, it is $40). I want to make all three into smartphones though. Are there any good suggestions on this? Currently paying $150 (550 min, 2 3gb smartphones, unlimited text, 1 basic phone).
We have a 4-line account and so far, we've upgraded almost every year (alternating lines for upgrade). This year, instead of buying outright or signing a new 2 year contract for the out of contract lines, we went with Next for the 2 iPhone 5s lines still under contract to get out of the contract ETF-free.

In your case, replacing the basic phone with a smartphone with 3GB data would bring your bill up to $180. However, do keep in mind that that amount includes up to ~$56/mo (3 * $450 / 24) subsidy every 2 years making service just ~$124/mo. If you switch to Mobile Share Value 10/20GB, you'll be paying $145 per month before adding device cost. With 3x iPhone 6 16GB on Next 18, that's a monthly bill of ~$226/mo. That said, you do avoid paying a $200-500 upfront cost and $40 activation fee if you go Next.

It really boils down to how often you upgrade and whether you think the additional data is worth the extra cost. If you upgrade every 1-2 years, sticking to your current plan is likely cheaper. If you go longer between upgrades, then MSVP 10GB (20GB) + Next or buy outright is a better proposition.

yoseph6375

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2014
We have a 4-line account and so far, we've upgraded almost every year (alternating lines for upgrade). This year, instead of buying outright or signing a new 2 year contract for the out of contract lines, we went with Next for the 2 iPhone 5s lines still under contract to get out of the contract ETF-free.

In your case, replacing the basic phone with a smartphone with 3GB data would bring your bill up to $180. However, do keep in mind that that amount includes up to ~$56/mo (3 * $450 / 24) subsidy every 2 years making service just ~$124/mo. If you switch to Mobile Share Value 10/20GB, you'll be paying $145 per month before adding device cost. With 3x iPhone 6 16GB on Next 18, that's a monthly bill of ~$226/mo. That said, you do avoid paying a $200-500 upfront cost and $40 activation fee if you go Next.

It really boils down to how often you upgrade and whether you think the additional data is worth the extra cost. If you upgrade every 1-2 years, sticking to your current plan is likely cheaper. If you go longer between upgrades, then MSVP 10GB (20GB) + Next or buy outright is a better proposition.

Thanks for clarification with the details. As you have said, It is cheaper for me to stay with the current plan. I hope there will be some better deal popping out for my plan in the future.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm not sure how the new AT&T plans work. Can someone explain?

I have the 450 minutes, unlimited text and data and pay $82 after my discount

How much would my bill increase if I was to get the 30GB plan?

I think you need at least 2 lines to use the mobile share data.

----------

I also switched from 2 lines @ "unlimited" and a third at 2GB I believe... now we have the 15GB->30GB package with tethering, plus they have a promo where they will give you $100 bill credit to add an iPad for $10 a month. That means it's $140 for 2 years of iPad LTE... not bad considering it will often cost $30-$40 to use the prepaid plans and that happens about twice a year... at this rate it costs about the same to tap in to the 30GB plus hotspot on the iPad for 2 years.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Years ago, I began using an iPhone and did not have a grasp on data usage. I found a certain webcast that I liked and really ran up a terrible bill that month. So I learned the hard way. Until 2 months ago I had unlimited on all three lines and for me and my family we were restricted severely. We couldn't use the telephone part of that plan without counting every minute and when my daughter hit 5gb we were all slowed down. So very annoying.
I switched to the mobile share at 15 gigs. I was finally in heaven. No voice call restrictions and no worries of being slowed down after reaching caps.
I read about this promotion, called and got it. 30gb is great, but you know what? Going to 40 will only cost about 20 more a month and I can then start to use my mobile devices as I want to. Within the next couple of days I'm going to the 20/40gb option while I still can. I will have to retrain myself to start using data again, but that won't be a real problem :rolleyes:

Yardman1977

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Chicagoland
If anyone here. still not sure if you wanna dump your grandfathered unlimited plans for the double data deal, and your not gonna be able to make a decision by oct 31st... .then you will still be able to get those deals after oct 31st expiration......you will have to call retentions.....agent told me Plan is going away for the general public on oct 31st. But retentions will still be allowed to offer it to their valued customers after that date.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
If anyone here. still not sure if you wanna dump your grandfathered unlimited plans for the double data deal, and your not gonna be able to make a decision by oct 31st... .then you will still be able to get those deals after oct 31st expiration......you will have to call retentions.....agent told me Plan is going away for the general public on oct 31st. But retentions will still be allowed to offer it to their valued customers after that date.

Just out of curiosity, what is a "valued" customer? Someone that has been with AT&T for x amount of years, and has never had a late payment?

OsideRida06

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
I was told be retentions a day ago that they have taken the 10gb double out of their system. Now they can only double the 2gb plan (what I had) and then 15gb+. I was trying to get my moms 10gb plan doubled for her and they wouldn't do it. They said they got a memo the day before that it was being taken out of the system and that it was already not an option. So I would get on these as fast as you can before they quit doubling all of them.

Yardman1977

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Chicagoland
Just out of curiosity, what is a "valued" customer? Someone that has been with AT&T for x amount of years, and has never had a late payment?

Pretty much anyone who is a current customer and who is current on their bill...they value us all...whether weve been here 20 years or brand new....retentions job is to keep us on board..

----------

If anyone is successful in getting their data doubled then please post it immediately in this thread....cuz retentions told me these unpublished data promos are changing daily.....i called yesterday and was offered 8 gigs for price of 4....i told him ill think about it .....called back today to take that deal and now its gone already and now its only 6gigs for price of 4 i..guy snagged a 10 gig for 6 deal yesterday and thats gone today too...so let us all what toe deal of the day is and then we can call and lock it in before it disappears....

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I was told be retentions a day ago that they have taken the 10gb double out of their system. Now they can only double the 2gb plan (what I had) and then 15gb+. I was trying to get my moms 10gb plan doubled for her and they wouldn't do it. They said they got a memo the day before that it was being taken out of the system and that it was already not an option. So I would get on these as fast as you can before they quit doubling all of them.

I was afraid of that so I took my 15gb plan and moved it to 20/40 before it was gone. For 19 more a month it was a no brainier. I now can watch real tv anywhere I am. Wifi or not!

Faitt

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Thinking, thinking...

I've been thinking about getting a hotspot for my new ipad, and came across this thread today. Could you guys help me out?

I'm on an old family plan from ages ago. 2 lines, one smartphone, one regular phone

600 minutes shared.

$39.99 for the iphone 6.
$9.99 for the regular phone.
$30 grandfathered unlimited data plan for the iphone.
$20 unlimited messaging plan for the iphone.

= $100 monthly (not included taxes, insurance, FAN discount, etc)

I have about 2400 rollover minutes saved up as well.

Haven't had any issues. The highest my data usage has gone is almost 5.5-6GB. I don't believe i've been throttled ever, or maybe i just haven't noticed.

My mom's been looking to upgrade to one of my old iPhones from her regular phone, but both her and I agree that it wouldn't be worth it to switch sims and have AT&T automatically tag a $20 to $30 monthly data plan on it...

Also, since I still have unlimited data, i haven't been able to turn on personal hotspot to use my iPad more on the go.

AT&T suggests I choose the 6GB plan for an estimated $140 a month, but I upped it to 10GB to account for increased ipad and my mom's usage

Now that I have it typed out, and looking at the comparison, switching to mobile share takes care of both issues, but here are my questions:

If I switch now, and pop my mom's sim-card into one of my old iPhones, will
the price change any?

Any time I've flown cross country, I've been charged extra for calls, assuming because i'm out of my usual calling area. Will switching to mobile share take care of that as well?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Attachments

• att.JPG
    att.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 108

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010

I would imagine a valued customer to AT&T would be someone that they can get out of an old plan where AT&T is paying out more and into one of these new ones where they can get more money out of the customer

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Just to report in, I just spoke with retentions and they basically offered me nothing.

I've been a customer for 15 years and they didn't offer me even a dollar off even though I was willing to give up my unlimited data plan.

Oh well.

iphone3gnj

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Just to report in, I just spoke with retentions and they basically offered me nothing.

I've been a customer for 15 years and they didn't offer me even a dollar off even though I was willing to give up my unlimited data plan.

Oh well.

I've been with them for about 10 years. I was going to go with the 20GB plan and add an iPad. I think it is b******t that they are telling people they have until 10/31 and then pull the plug. Too bad I didn't pull the trigger when I was on the phone with a rep on Thursday. I'm sure it's hurting the 15 to 30 GB promotion, so they pulled it. I'll just stay on TMobile for my iPad and pay when I need more data and keep my unlimited data plan for now. It's a shame TMobile sucks in my area otherwise I would bail.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I've been with them for about 10 years. I was going to go with the 20GB plan and add an iPad. I think it is b******t that they are telling people they have until 10/31 and then pull the plug. Too bad I didn't pull the trigger when I was on the phone with a rep on Thursday. I'm sure it's hurting the 15 to 30 GB promotion, so they pulled it. I'll just stay on TMobile for my iPad and pay when I need more data and keep my unlimited data plan for now. It's a shame TMobile sucks in my area otherwise I would bail.

You might want to read this short piece in case you haven't heard the news:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/31/att-i...nd-70-service-plans-starting-on-november-2nd/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.