Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Ok from understanding, if I do next for 24 months with 6 plus 64gb it would cost me $35.42 x 24 = $850.08 which is how much the phone without contract right now, correct? Not including the $15 if my family switch to the new promotion.
I'm currently with contract so it will cost me $440 + ($40 x 24) = $1140 after 24 months.
So with next after 24 months, I own the phone, right? There's no more $35.42 installment and I can trade it for a new one or keep it? Sorry for asking so many questions.

I think you're math is correct. With the next 18, you would pay $15 a line and pay $35.42 a month for the phone. Yes after 24 months, it's all yours. It's basically interest free financing for the price of the phone. You can trade in the phone after 18 months and att will let you finance a new one or make 24 payments and you won't have to trade anything in as the phone is fully paid for. It's easier to sell it in a year and pay off the balance on it and this way you can upgrade anytime you want instead of waiting.

shiro13

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
. It's easier to sell it in a year and pay off the balance on it and this way you can upgrade anytime you want instead of waiting.

Sell it to ATT? If I do 18 months and trade it in, technically be paying for the phone for $630 then trade it and restart all over again. I don't actually mind waiting 2 years for a new phone but I don't like the idea of paying $1400 for a phone when it retails $850.

So if me and my mom decide to do next, do we have to return our phone? I got mine at apple and she got hers at target.

Edit

27wu5xv.png

IDK why they said our data is $260 when there are lines with 2 grandfathered, 1 with 3gb and other one with 5gb.

Last edited:

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Sell it to ATT? If I do 18 months and trade it in, technically be paying for the phone for $630 then trade it and restart all over again. I don't actually mind waiting 2 years for a new phone but I don't like the idea of paying $1400 for a phone when it retails $850.

So if me and my mom decide to do next, do we have to return our phone? I got mine at apple and she got hers at target.

No, you can sell it through Craigslist or eBay or any similar website and pay off what you owe on it and then start next with the new iPhone. You wouldn't be paying $1400 for the phone. When you buy an iPhone with next 18, you only pay the sales tax upfront so you would pay only $60 for the 6 plus 64gb and then you would pay $35.42 a month for 24 months but you could trade it in after 18 months. With a 2 year contract, you pay $400 plus tax upfront for the 6 plus 64gb and you would pay an extra $25 per line if you switched to the mobile share plan.

If you want to do next, I would take your phone and your moms back within 14 days and do the next plan. This way , you would only pay $120 in taxes for both phones upfront instead of paying $800 plus taxes on them. I think in your case, you would save a lot with next. Is your bill $353 a month?

shiro13

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
No, you can sell it through Craigslist or eBay or any similar website and pay off what you owe on it and then start next with the new iPhone. You wouldn't be paying $1400 for the phone. When you buy an iPhone with next 18, you only pay the sales tax upfront so you would pay only $60 for the 6 plus 64gb and then you would pay $35.42 a month for 24 months but you could trade it in after 18 months. With a 2 year contract, you pay $400 plus tax upfront for the 6 plus 64gb and you would pay an extra $25 per line if you switched to the mobile share plan.

If you want to do next, I would take your phone and your moms back within 14 days and do the next plan. This way , you would only pay $120 in taxes for both phones upfront instead of paying $800 plus taxes on them. I think in your case, you would save a lot with next. Is your bill $353 a month?

$25 plus $15 for the mobile share plan with 2 year contract? Please check my edit above with the breakdown that ATT gave me. Oh talking about $1400 with 2 year contract if we stay in our current plan.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
$25 plus $15 for the mobile share plan with 2 year contract? Please check my edit above with the breakdown that ATT gave me. Oh talking about $1400 with 2 year contract if we stay in our current plan.

Yes $25 plus $15 with the 2 year contract. With next, it would be $15 only. It looks like one of your lines is only $15 a month since its old so you won't benefit from getting a next phone on that one. You have another one that had the contract renewed 6 months ago which I think makes it eligible for a next purchase. How many phones are you planning on getting on next because it looks like all 4 lines are eligible for next assuming you return the 2 phones you just bought.

shiro13

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Yes $25 plus $15 with the 2 year contract. With next, it would be $15 only. It looks like one of your lines is only $15 a month since its old so you won't benefit from getting a next phone on that one. You have another one that had the contract renewed 6 months ago which I think makes it eligible for a next purchase. How many phones are you planning on getting on next because it looks like all 4 lines are eligible for next assuming you return the 2 phones you just bought.

If my brother's line can do next then maybe 3 line. Yea the "old" line is actually my dad and he's the account holder.

Do you think it would be cheaper for us to go to this route with the new mobile shared data plan? Im being throttled right now since I used 6gb of my unlimited this month and my brother sometimes go over his 5gb data plan.. My mom hardly use her unlimited since she uses a wifi hotspot.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
If my brother's line can do next then maybe 3 line. Yea the "old" line is actually my dad and he's the account holder.

Do you think it would be cheaper for us to go to this route with the new mobile shared data plan? Im being throttled right now since I used 6gb of my unlimited this month and my brother sometimes go over his 5gb data plan.. My mom hardly use her unlimited since she uses a wifi hotspot.

Assuming you get the 64gb 6 plus for all three lines and used next 18 for them, your next payments would be $106 for the three per month. Add $130 for the 30gb mobile share and $60($15 for each smartphone) so with the next payments, your total monthly bill would be $296 plus tax. You would only pay tax on the $130 and $60 part of your bill since tax for the phones would be paid upfront when you get them. You would only have to come up with the sales tax upfront for the next phones which in this case would be around $180 for all three instead of paying $1200 plus tax upfront for the 3 phones with a 2 year contract. Don't forget that you also get unlimited talk, unlimited text including international texting as well as mobile hotspot.

shiro13

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Assuming you get the 64gb 6 plus for all three lines and used next 18 for them, your next payments would be $106 for the three per month. Add $130 for the 30gb mobile share and $60($15 for each smartphone) so with the next payments, your total monthly bill would be $296 plus tax. You would only pay tax on the $130 and $60 part of your bill since tax for the phones would be paid upfront when you get them. You would only have to come up with the sales tax upfront for the next phones which in this case would be around $180 for all three instead of paying $1200 plus tax upfront for the 3 phones with a 2 year contract. Don't forget that you also get unlimited talk, unlimited text including international texting as well as mobile hotspot.

Thanks so much for the help, Ramio!

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Thanks to this thread, I looked around on my company's website for employee discounts and found ATT has a 23% discount for my corporation. I signed up and was instantly added. Wwwaaaaaaaayyy cool.
Thank you to whoever started this. :D

urda

Suspended
Jun 15, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
We have 7 lines on our account (big family!) so moving to mobile share was a no brainer for us. We had only 3 unlimited data plans from our old iPhone days, that combined with individual data ccounts had our bill nuts.

When I priced our mobile share migration last month, we saved over 200 bucks with line cost reductions and a single data plan. NOW with this, we have gone from 30GB to 60GB, when we average somewhere between 20-30 a month as a group.

200 bucks a month adds up over a year, so we made the jump.

akrimmer

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Thanks to this thread, I looked around on my company's website for employee discounts and found ATT has a 23% discount for my corporation. I signed up and was instantly added. Wwwaaaaaaaayyy cool.
Thank you to whoever started this. :D

I get a 20% discount as well but don't get too excited. That discount comes off the BASE data package. In my case $40, so I get $8/month off my bill. Still a discount but not quite as much as you would think.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
As many have said, it's definitely very tempting, but why spend/give $30 extra to AT&T? Phone bills are already disgustingly bad, I always try to cut it as much as possible.

I remember the times we used to manage ok with 200-300mb data plans, sure it was constraining but we had them. Now with 10gb mobile share plan is more than enough, for a family of 5 we never go over 7-8gb a month.

So... no thanks, we'll save $30, and AT&T won't get any extra dime from us. We manage fine usually with wi-fi at home/work, and LTE whatever time we are outside, we aren't you-tubing all day -.-

sjs314

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
I changed my plan today from 15gb to 30gb May up it to the 40gb after my billing date and before the promo ends.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I get a 20% discount as well but don't get too excited. That discount comes off the BASE data package. In my case $40, so I get $8/month off my bill. Still a discount but not quite as much as you would think.

I knew it wouldn't come off the top, but ATT rakes me every month for a bundle and I'll take whatever I can get. I'm just sorry I didn't know about it years ago.

JeepinCoastie

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I get 17(I think..whatever the military discount is) and I finally dropped off unlimited. 2 plans lowest minutes one unlimited data one 2gb plan was 130+tax. For 165(173 otd) I get 30 gb. My dads going through some times right now so this plan lets him tether to his tablet since he doesn't have home internet. Was a no brainier for me to swap. Plus if I get married I won't have to add another plan when she can just use that 30gn

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
You have to call or go to the store to bump your plan if you already have Mobile Share.

----------

The way I read it is the plan can't be changed after Oct. 31, 2014.

Your first statement is false, I was in n the 10 g family share and changed it online.

----------

A lot of people will be going off unlimited with this new promo I think.

I did a week before this promo.... This deal "made" me make the change to the 15g(30g) plan.

----------

I'm in the same boat. We used less than 5 between the 3 of us and even thin month wel will probably do the same. My daughter is the one who uses the most and used about 3GB total. I just don't think it's worth $30 more for data we'll never use, but this is so tempting.

I just switched my kids over to smart phones so jumped on the family share band wagon. The most we used before was 6g, with average around 3 so I stayed eith the 10g at the time. A week later they came out with these double plans so I decided to swap to the 15/30g plan to try it out and see. IF You don't need the extra data u can always drop back down but after oct 31 you won't be able to get the plan. I'm D swap for a month or 2 to see how it goes.

----------

Just dropped both unlimited plans for the 30GB mobile share plan. Now I regret getting my iPhone 6 with a new contract instead of doing Next.

Don't be because it's cheaper per monthe with subsidy. 15+37 vs 40. Sure you're out the $400 when you first pay for the phone but you're saving the $ monthly. Guess it really depends on your monthly $ output.

----------

Warning, Math help requested!!!

Okay, so someone help me out here to make sure i'm not making a huge mistake.

Currently, I have the following:

1 iPhone with Unlimited Data
1 iPhone with 3gb Data
1 iPad with 3gb Data

After adding in Voice+text and 24% discount, plan currently comes out to ~$190-195 dollars a month

On these new plans, let's say I go with the 30gb Mobile Share plan. After adding everything up, that comes out to ~$195 per month for 2 iPhones and an iPad before discount. Since the 30gb mobile value plan is $120, a 24% discount would be $31.20, thus bringing my monthly bill to $163.80. Am I doing that right?

I don't think so. $130 for 15/30g plan, 15 for each phone= 160 total. I'd tether the iPad to a phone (hotspot included with family share) and save the cost of adding that to your plan. Add your discount and you're down to around $130 give or take. Seems like you're better off swapping to family share. IF you did next or subsidy you'd have to add those into the 130 cost but you didn't clarify that either way so?? Good luck.

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
The next program isn't my thing. It makes no sense, I would rather buy the phone in a 2 year contract and sell it then make 10 payments, have to trade it in and have more payments on the next gen phone.

You don't have to trade it in...... You can pay it off in lump sum or pay it off on next payments and own the phone. People are really NOT understanding what the next program is all about

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
I'm not going to lie, the thought of changing from the 10GB plan for $100/month to the new 30GB plan for only $30 more per month did cross my mind when I first read this. :D

They know what they are doing. :p

They sure do because they got me. 30GB baby. I was always going over 1GB at 10GB. Got the 15GB plan and is doubled to 30GB for an extra 30 bucks. The way I see it, and extra $15 bucks because I would always go over the 10GB by 1GB and they would charge me $15 for that 1GB.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I still have the original unlimited plan and my daughter has a 3GB data plan. Between the two of us we use a bit more than 2GB per month, so AT&T is recommending the 10GB shared plan, which would save me about $30 a month. But I can now get the 30GB shared plan for about the same I'm currently paying, which would let two other family members get smartphones and not worry about data. Not a bad deal.

It also looks like AT&T is pushing subscribers to get away from their subsidized plans to Next, which is less clear-cut.

We have a 4 line family plan. Each line has unlimited data. Also have mobile to ANY mobile, unlimited text, aList, rollover minutes, 700 minutes. With rollover and aList we never go over 700 minutes. We have our Google voice #'s in our aList and use the GV Connect app which results in unlimited calling to land lines.

Also get a 28% FAN discount on primary line and 28% FAN on each unlimited data. So each unlimited data costs $21.60.

Between the 4 lines we use at least 30GB/month.

Our monthly bill with FAN discount is $217 NET.

Just upgraded a couple lines to iPhone 6's 64GB @ $299/each.

In our case it doesn't seem worth it to switch to a metered plan unless I'm missing something. The only thing we are missing is being able to tether. Not sure how important that is.

There's been criticism about throttling. I can honestly say that since AT&T provides LTE pings when you are throttlled it isn't that bad for me. Some things are just a bit slower but it's not like 'holy crap this throttling sucks'. So throttling isn't an issue for me at least.

I can't justify switching to a metered plan UNLESS being able to tether is an issue. Love the fact I don't have to worry about overages and/or having to monitor data usage.

Unless I'm missing something? Anyone want to give their take on my plan and why I should switch to a metered plan?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.