Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jessabelle1975

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Left my unlimited in the dust when I preordered my 6+. Mainly to take advantage of hot spot. So excited they did this! Doubled the 20gb I signed up for to 40gb! Now I won't have to keep an eye on the data so closely, and can use my laptop with hotspot! Thanks ATT. Now please send me my 128gb gold 6+. LOL

whiteshadoww

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
I'm seriously considering giving up my unlimited plan for this.

I am as well. The more I read about it the more I think I'm holding on to my unlimited plans because they don't offer any more rather than I need it.

We are on the unlimited plans and I'm the biggest data hog at about 4 gig max per month. The other users max out at 2.

My question is what are people really experiencing with throttling? Is it a real or imagined thing? Is "unlimited" really unlimited?

----------

I think I'll finally give up my unlimited data. They already throttle me at 5GB to the point it isn't usable so I might as well as get more and save some money at the same time. 30GB will be plenty.

Can you please provide exactly what happened when they throttled you?

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
I am as well. The more I read about it the more I think I'm holding on to my unlimited plans because they don't offer any more rather than I need it.

We are on the unlimited plans and I'm the biggest data hog at about 4 gig max per month. The other users max out at 2.

My question is what are people really experiencing with throttling? Is it a real or imagined thing? Is "unlimited" really unlimited?

Same here...I shouldn't even have the unltd plan on my account and I think that's driving my reluctance to stay on it. We left ATT to V, came back and somehow talked a CSR into giving us unltd data on our two lines -- wife and I -- after they were no longer offered.

The 30gb plan is intriguing because I'm on NEXT and wife has my old phone so they'd be 15 per line. We also have iPads and could tether if we wanted.

I just wonder what the catch is? Is data really throttled? Am I missing something obvious?

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Way cool!! Thank you

I saw this thread. Thanks for starting it. I had a 15bg family share w/3 phones. I had to ditch my unlimited 2 months ago because I needed to be able to use my phone as a phone.:rolleyes:
My daughter, who doesn't live at home, but is still on my plan, got into the data pretty heavily because her wifi went out for a week so I bumped it up to 20 a week ago.
So I call this morning, ask about the promotion and got it. I then told him about having to bump my plan up to 20 and he put me back on 15 with a credit- as if I never left the 15gb option.
Now I got 30 gigs and won't ever use over 10, or maybe this will change my useage habits.
I asked the rep why att was doing this, and he said to combat the other carriers that were coming up with cost savings promotions and att needed to do something. :)

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Just called and had my 10gb shared data plan upgraded to the 30gb plan for price of the 15gb. Only going to cost me an additional $15 a month with my FAN discount and I dropped my iPad from the device list.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
All I see is this when I try to login and change plan:

We're sorry, but we are experiencing a temporary system error that prevents us from retrieving your account information. Please wait a few moments and try again.

(RP611)

I had that too. Decided to stop by the AT&T store while out running errands and got it taken care of in just a minute or two.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
And why would they do that?

It is as likely as Apple adding widgets to the home screen.

I agree. Strength in numbers, right? Unlimited data plans are about to be weakend by dropping the people that have them by a substantial amount, I'd guess. We still won't know what percentage of customers will have them, though.

POLBOSS

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
When I try to switch plans on MyATT, the select this plan is greyed out and it won't accept :(

Was my case, called 611, was told that since I have a pending order for an iPhone 6 plus (don't forget the plus, lol), they couldn't change the plan until I get my new iPhone... (the iPhone is supposed to be here in the middle of November) so either cancel the iPhone order or hope that the new iPhone will arrive before Oct 31 which is the offer dateline...
I told them to hold their horses, that I was going to think about it...
So... I immediately called my friends at retentions and asked them what is going on... they apologized and told me that they can't change plans until I get my new iPhone... So they did the next best think... they credited $70 for my troubles, they are going to switch me to the 30GB plan at any time when I receive the new iPhone, from this moment on, any data overages between 15GB and 30GB will be covered by the retentions department...

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
may be pulling the trigger on this one. between my my wife, mom and myself on my plan we have 10GB of data shared but i use at least 6-7GBs alone. we just wen't over this past month. rather than paying $15/1GB for going over, i'm fine with paying an extra $30/month and be able to stream more music at work.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
It's an awesome deal. But my family is on the 10 GB plan with 3 lines and we are doing OK. Although, it would be nice to upgrade to the 30 GB plan for an extra 30 bucks a month. Just the idea of giving AT&T an extra 30 bucks a month, I don't know...

I'm in a similar situation, I gave up my unlimited data and switched to the 10gb plan. My wife and I usually hit around 7-8GB a month, but that is with me always leaving my AT&T iPad air at home. I'm trying to rationalize the extra $30 a month by telling myself I can carry my iPad air and we would be able to use the hotspot for my daughters iPad while we are on the road..decision, decisions!

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Just dropped both unlimited plans for the 30GB mobile share plan. Now I regret getting my iPhone 6 with a new contract instead of doing Next.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'm on unlimited but thinking about switching because I love the idea of tethering my phone. As it stands I only use about 5gb a month but I can see myself using more with tethering capabilitities.

Question, are there alerts you can set up when you reach a certain number? Say like I wanted to be alerted at 25gb so I know for the rest of the month to limit my tethering?

I think it's at 65% that I get a notification from AT&T.

joelb727

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
Just dropped both unlimited plans for the 30GB mobile share plan. Now I regret getting my iPhone 6 with a new contract instead of doing Next.

As long as it's still within the 14 return policy window, you should be able to return it (or have it refunded) and then repurchased via NEXT. I did just that in the Apple store on Thursday. You will need to process the return in the vendor's actual store… i.e. preorder from Apple… need to do the refund at Apple store… and vice-versa.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I just dropped my unlimited data. Like many I was hanging onto it but in reality I'm averaging 2gb a month.

At least now, I'll be able to use mobile hotspot with 30gb for the price of 15gb while also saving a little on my monthly.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Glad I got rid of my 2 unlimited lines a few months ago since it seems less useful as it did before. Got $300 for each line on Craigslist :)

batcatman

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
As long as it's still within the 14 return policy window, you should be able to return it (or have it refunded) and then repurchased via NEXT. I did just that in the Apple store on Thursday. You will need to process the return in the vendor's actual store… i.e. preorder from Apple… need to do the refund at Apple store… and vice-versa.

This is exactly what I plan to do, hope it works. Right now, I pay 260 for 4 iphones (2 unlimited, 2 on 3gb) and if I were to go with 15 gb plan i would pay 265, but if I were to return 3 6+'s I have and use next that would lower my monthly access fee per device from 40$ to 15$.....still confused about the math but for now switching to next and ditching unlimited plans seems cheaper.

Also, how does one sell their unlimited plan?:confused:

Vesian

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
Warning, Math help requested!!!

Okay, so someone help me out here to make sure i'm not making a huge mistake.

Currently, I have the following:

1 iPhone with Unlimited Data
1 iPhone with 3gb Data
1 iPad with 3gb Data

After adding in Voice+text and 24% discount, plan currently comes out to ~$190-195 dollars a month

On these new plans, let's say I go with the 30gb Mobile Share plan. After adding everything up, that comes out to ~$195 per month for 2 iPhones and an iPad before discount. Since the 30gb mobile value plan is $120, a 24% discount would be $31.20, thus bringing my monthly bill to $163.80. Am I doing that right?

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
This is awesome, going to wait until it's closer for my current bill cycle to end then switch for 15(30) gb :)!

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I'm on unlimited but thinking about switching because I love the idea of tethering my phone. As it stands I only use about 5gb a month but I can see myself using more with tethering capabilitities.

Question, are there alerts you can set up when you reach a certain number? Say like I wanted to be alerted at 25gb so I know for the rest of the month to limit my tethering?

They will alert you for sure. They alert me whenever my account gets to appx 60% useage. Just this past month, I had a 15 gb plan and alerted me when I had used 9.7gb. As a result, I bumped my plan to 20gb.
So today I saw this thread and I called them. They let me back date to the 15gb plan, gave me credit and now I've got 30 gigs and saved some money too. Very nice.
I gave up my 3 unlimited plans for the share plan. I mean, we couldn't use our phones to call folks without counting the minutes. And the unlimited part was throttled- with today's technology it simply wasn't a good deal anymore. For me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.